Program Feedback/Possible Bugs

Program Feedback/Possible Bugs

John Grebe
2014-02-12 @ 15:35
I hope this email is going to the right place.

I am using the Wide Margin Bible version 1.2.13 Beta and ran into a few
hitches that I thought you would like to know about.  I am using Windows 7
and the first time that I went to start the program it crashed on me on
start up.  I tried again but this time had Windows run the program as
administrator and after the initial delay of downloading the ESV message it
worked find and now runs fine on future times without needing to have
administrator access.

I did run into a problem with the interface with the ability to browse the
books of the Bible by category.  The Poetry section only contains Psalms,
Song of Solomon and Lamentations so it is missing Job, Proverbs and
Ecclesiastes.  Also the category of the history books is missing.

Another style and potentially legal issue is should the program tell the
user (maybe on the about page) what version of the Bible is being used
along with the copyright notice of the translation?

Finally I want to let you know that despite these little issues listed
above that Wide Margin stands out to me as being the best piece of Bible
software when it comes to actually reading the Bible.  I love your simple
goal of a simple to use Bible program that is focused upon simply reading
the Bible as compared to the endless study tools and translations of other
programs which while they do have a place in serious study of small
sections tend to be more of a distraction overall when it comes to reading.

thanks,

John Grebe

Re: [widemargin] Program Feedback/Possible Bugs

Daniel Hughes
2014-02-12 @ 21:11
Hi John,

Thanks for taking the time to send this feedback. It is always
encouraging to see people using wide margin. And its awesome that you
have taken the time to let us know about these issues.

We have a bug tracker for tracking issues here:

Feel free to add bugs there at any time. I am notified immediately of
any bugs added there. Using the bug tracker means that your issues
won't get lost or forgotten. However just because you have reported a
bug there does not mean you shouldn't also discuss them here.

Great and valid observations about the categories. This one I will fix
ASAP. Which books would you like to see in the history category?

Your concerns about the Bible translation and copyright notice are
also valid. For now I may add that info to the about screen.

Another user has previously reported an issue with crashing on startup
but I have been unable to reproduce it. Running as administrator
should not be necessary, Most likely the problem occurred in
downloading the ESV bible module from the sword repositories. wide
margin has error handling and retry logic in there to attempt to
recover in the case of a bad connection to the sword servers, But it
is possible that we have still missed a case. I intend to sit down and
take a hard look at the code to see what can be done to make it more
robust.

It is truly heart warming to get emails like this.

God bless,
Daniel Hughes

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 4:35 AM, John Grebe <jogrebe@gmail.com> wrote:
> I hope this email is going to the right place.
> I am using the Wide Margin Bible version 1.2.13 Beta and ran into a few
> hitches that I thought you would like to know about.  I am using Windows 7
> and the first time that I went to start the program it crashed on me on
> start up.  I tried again but this time had Windows run the program as
> administrator and after the initial delay of downloading the ESV message it
> worked find and now runs fine on future times without needing to have
> administrator access.
> I did run into a problem with the interface with the ability to browse the
> books of the Bible by category.  The Poetry section only contains Psalms,
> Song of Solomon and Lamentations so it is missing Job, Proverbs and
> Ecclesiastes.  Also the category of the history books is missing.
> Another style and potentially legal issue is should the program tell the
> user (maybe on the about page) what version of the Bible is being used along
> with the copyright notice of the translation?
> Finally I want to let you know that despite these little issues listed above
> that Wide Margin stands out to me as being the best piece of Bible software
> when it comes to actually reading the Bible.  I love your simple goal of a
> simple to use Bible program that is focused upon simply reading the Bible as
> compared to the endless study tools and translations of other programs which
> while they do have a place in serious study of small sections tend to be
> more of a distraction overall when it comes to reading.
> thanks,
> John Grebe

Re: [widemargin] Program Feedback/Possible Bugs

Daniel Hughes
2014-02-14 @ 11:13
I just added the missing Poetry books and added a history section.

The new history section has the following books in it:
Joshua
Judges
Ruth
1 Samuel
2 Samuel
2 Kings
2 Chronicles
Ezra
Nehemiah
Esther

Let me know if I've missed any.

Cheers,
Daniel Hughes

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 10:11 AM, Daniel Hughes <trampster@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi John,
> Thanks for taking the time to send this feedback. It is always
> encouraging to see people using wide margin. And its awesome that you
> have taken the time to let us know about these issues.
> We have a bug tracker for tracking issues here:
> https://bitbucket.org/trampster/widemargin/issues
> Feel free to add bugs there at any time. I am notified immediately of
> any bugs added there. Using the bug tracker means that your issues
> won't get lost or forgotten. However just because you have reported a
> bug there does not mean you shouldn't also discuss them here.
> Great and valid observations about the categories. This one I will fix
> ASAP. Which books would you like to see in the history category?
> Your concerns about the Bible translation and copyright notice are
> also valid. For now I may add that info to the about screen.
> Another user has previously reported an issue with crashing on startup
> but I have been unable to reproduce it. Running as administrator
> should not be necessary, Most likely the problem occurred in
> downloading the ESV bible module from the sword repositories. wide
> margin has error handling and retry logic in there to attempt to
> recover in the case of a bad connection to the sword servers, But it
> is possible that we have still missed a case. I intend to sit down and
> take a hard look at the code to see what can be done to make it more
> robust.
> It is truly heart warming to get emails like this.
> God bless,
> Daniel Hughes
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 4:35 AM, John Grebe <jogrebe@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I hope this email is going to the right place.
>> I am using the Wide Margin Bible version 1.2.13 Beta and ran into a few
>> hitches that I thought you would like to know about.  I am using Windows 7
>> and the first time that I went to start the program it crashed on me on
>> start up.  I tried again but this time had Windows run the program as
>> administrator and after the initial delay of downloading the ESV message it
>> worked find and now runs fine on future times without needing to have
>> administrator access.
>> I did run into a problem with the interface with the ability to browse the
>> books of the Bible by category.  The Poetry section only contains Psalms,
>> Song of Solomon and Lamentations so it is missing Job, Proverbs and
>> Ecclesiastes.  Also the category of the history books is missing.
>> Another style and potentially legal issue is should the program tell the
>> user (maybe on the about page) what version of the Bible is being used along
>> with the copyright notice of the translation?
>> Finally I want to let you know that despite these little issues listed above
>> that Wide Margin stands out to me as being the best piece of Bible software
>> when it comes to actually reading the Bible.  I love your simple goal of a
>> simple to use Bible program that is focused upon simply reading the Bible as
>> compared to the endless study tools and translations of other programs which
>> while they do have a place in serious study of small sections tend to be
>> more of a distraction overall when it comes to reading.
>> thanks,
>> John Grebe

Re: [widemargin] Program Feedback/Possible Bugs

Daniel Hughes
2014-02-14 @ 12:14
I have just added the Bible module copyright to the about page.

Once again thanks for your feedback. It's great to have your input in
making wide margin better.

God bless,
Daniel Hughes

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 12:13 AM, Daniel Hughes <trampster@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just added the missing Poetry books and added a history section.
> The new history section has the following books in it:
> Joshua
> Judges
> Ruth
> 1 Samuel
> 2 Samuel
> 2 Kings
> 2 Chronicles
> Ezra
> Nehemiah
> Esther
> Let me know if I've missed any.
> Cheers,
> Daniel Hughes
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 10:11 AM, Daniel Hughes <trampster@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi John,
>> Thanks for taking the time to send this feedback. It is always
>> encouraging to see people using wide margin. And its awesome that you
>> have taken the time to let us know about these issues.
>> We have a bug tracker for tracking issues here:
>> https://bitbucket.org/trampster/widemargin/issues
>> Feel free to add bugs there at any time. I am notified immediately of
>> any bugs added there. Using the bug tracker means that your issues
>> won't get lost or forgotten. However just because you have reported a
>> bug there does not mean you shouldn't also discuss them here.
>> Great and valid observations about the categories. This one I will fix
>> ASAP. Which books would you like to see in the history category?
>> Your concerns about the Bible translation and copyright notice are
>> also valid. For now I may add that info to the about screen.
>> Another user has previously reported an issue with crashing on startup
>> but I have been unable to reproduce it. Running as administrator
>> should not be necessary, Most likely the problem occurred in
>> downloading the ESV bible module from the sword repositories. wide
>> margin has error handling and retry logic in there to attempt to
>> recover in the case of a bad connection to the sword servers, But it
>> is possible that we have still missed a case. I intend to sit down and
>> take a hard look at the code to see what can be done to make it more
>> robust.
>> It is truly heart warming to get emails like this.
>> God bless,
>> Daniel Hughes
>> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 4:35 AM, John Grebe <jogrebe@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I hope this email is going to the right place.
>>> I am using the Wide Margin Bible version 1.2.13 Beta and ran into a few
>>> hitches that I thought you would like to know about.  I am using Windows 7
>>> and the first time that I went to start the program it crashed on me on
>>> start up.  I tried again but this time had Windows run the program as
>>> administrator and after the initial delay of downloading the ESV message it
>>> worked find and now runs fine on future times without needing to have
>>> administrator access.
>>> I did run into a problem with the interface with the ability to browse the
>>> books of the Bible by category.  The Poetry section only contains Psalms,
>>> Song of Solomon and Lamentations so it is missing Job, Proverbs and
>>> Ecclesiastes.  Also the category of the history books is missing.
>>> Another style and potentially legal issue is should the program tell the
>>> with the copyright notice of the translation?
>>> that Wide Margin stands out to me as being the best piece of Bible software
>>> when it comes to actually reading the Bible.  I love your simple goal of a
>>> while they do have a place in serious study of small sections tend to be
>>> more of a distraction overall when it comes to reading.
>>> thanks,
>>> John Grebe

Re: [widemargin] Program Feedback/Possible Bugs

Daniel Hughes
2014-02-15 @ 10:28
I reviewed the code for downloading the ESV bible module from the
sword repos. I did find one place where a timeout to the server would
be unhanded and thus result in a crash. I have added some code to
retry in this cause. Hopefully this is what caused your initial crash.

I believe that with this fix I have fixed all the issues you have raised.

Once again thanks for your feedback.

God bless,
Daniel Hughes.

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 1:14 AM, Daniel Hughes <trampster@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have just added the Bible module copyright to the about page.
> Once again thanks for your feedback. It's great to have your input in
> making wide margin better.
> God bless,
> Daniel Hughes
> On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 12:13 AM, Daniel Hughes <trampster@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I just added the missing Poetry books and added a history section.
>> The new history section has the following books in it:
>> Joshua
>> Judges
>> Ruth
>> 1 Samuel
>> 2 Samuel
>> 2 Kings
>> 2 Chronicles
>> Ezra
>> Nehemiah
>> Esther
>> Let me know if I've missed any.
>> Cheers,
>> Daniel Hughes
>> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 10:11 AM, Daniel Hughes <trampster@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi John,
>>> Thanks for taking the time to send this feedback. It is always
>>> encouraging to see people using wide margin. And its awesome that you
>>> have taken the time to let us know about these issues.
>>> We have a bug tracker for tracking issues here:
>>> https://bitbucket.org/trampster/widemargin/issues
>>> Feel free to add bugs there at any time. I am notified immediately of
>>> any bugs added there. Using the bug tracker means that your issues
>>> won't get lost or forgotten. However just because you have reported a
>>> bug there does not mean you shouldn't also discuss them here.
>>> Great and valid observations about the categories. This one I will fix
>>> ASAP. Which books would you like to see in the history category?
>>> Your concerns about the Bible translation and copyright notice are
>>> also valid. For now I may add that info to the about screen.
>>> Another user has previously reported an issue with crashing on startup
>>> but I have been unable to reproduce it. Running as administrator
>>> should not be necessary, Most likely the problem occurred in
>>> downloading the ESV bible module from the sword repositories. wide
>>> margin has error handling and retry logic in there to attempt to
>>> recover in the case of a bad connection to the sword servers, But it
>>> is possible that we have still missed a case. I intend to sit down and
>>> take a hard look at the code to see what can be done to make it more
>>> robust.
>>> It is truly heart warming to get emails like this.
>>> God bless,
>>> Daniel Hughes
>>> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 4:35 AM, John Grebe <jogrebe@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> I hope this email is going to the right place.
>>>>
>>>> I am using the Wide Margin Bible version 1.2.13 Beta and ran into a few
>>>> hitches that I thought you would like to know about.  I am using Windows 7
>>>> and the first time that I went to start the program it crashed on me on
>>>> start up.  I tried again but this time had Windows run the program as
>>>> administrator and after the initial delay of downloading the ESV message it
>>>> worked find and now runs fine on future times without needing to have
>>>> administrator access.
>>>>
>>>> I did run into a problem with the interface with the ability to browse the
>>>> books of the Bible by category.  The Poetry section only contains Psalms,
>>>> Song of Solomon and Lamentations so it is missing Job, Proverbs and
>>>> Ecclesiastes.  Also the category of the history books is missing.
>>>>
>>>> Another style and potentially legal issue is should the program tell the
>>>> user (maybe on the about page) what version of the Bible is being used along
>>>> with the copyright notice of the translation?
>>>>
>>>> Finally I want to let you know that despite these little issues listed above
>>>> that Wide Margin stands out to me as being the best piece of Bible software
>>>> when it comes to actually reading the Bible.  I love your simple goal of a
>>>> simple to use Bible program that is focused upon simply reading the Bible as
>>>> compared to the endless study tools and translations of other programs which
>>>> while they do have a place in serious study of small sections tend to be
>>>> more of a distraction overall when it comes to reading.
>>>>
>>>> thanks,
>>>>
>>>> John Grebe

Re: [widemargin] Program Feedback/Possible Bugs

John Grebe
2014-02-15 @ 15:05
Daniel,

Wow that is an amazing update speed.  Looking forward to trying out the new
version when it comes out and I'll be sure to let you know what I think of
it.

thanks,

John Grebe

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 5:28 AM, Daniel Hughes <trampster@gmail.com> wrote:

> I reviewed the code for downloading the ESV bible module from the
> sword repos. I did find one place where a timeout to the server would
> be unhanded and thus result in a crash. I have added some code to
> retry in this cause. Hopefully this is what caused your initial crash.
> I believe that with this fix I have fixed all the issues you have raised.
> Once again thanks for your feedback.
> God bless,
> Daniel Hughes.
> On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 1:14 AM, Daniel Hughes <trampster@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I have just added the Bible module copyright to the about page.
> > Once again thanks for your feedback. It's great to have your input in
> > making wide margin better.
> > God bless,
> > Daniel Hughes
> > On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 12:13 AM, Daniel Hughes <trampster@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> I just added the missing Poetry books and added a history section.
> >>
> >> The new history section has the following books in it:
> >> Joshua
> >> Judges
> >> Ruth
> >> 1 Samuel
> >> 2 Samuel
> >> 2 Kings
> >> 2 Chronicles
> >> Ezra
> >> Nehemiah
> >> Esther
> >>
> >> Let me know if I've missed any.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Daniel Hughes
> >>
> >> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 10:11 AM, Daniel Hughes <trampster@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>> Hi John,
> >>> Thanks for taking the time to send this feedback. It is always
> >>> encouraging to see people using wide margin. And its awesome that you
> >>> have taken the time to let us know about these issues.
> >>>
> >>> We have a bug tracker for tracking issues here:
> >>> https://bitbucket.org/trampster/widemargin/issues
> >>>
> >>> Feel free to add bugs there at any time. I am notified immediately of
> >>> any bugs added there. Using the bug tracker means that your issues
> >>> won't get lost or forgotten. However just because you have reported a
> >>> bug there does not mean you shouldn't also discuss them here.
> >>> Great and valid observations about the categories. This one I will fix
> >>> ASAP. Which books would you like to see in the history category?
> >>> Your concerns about the Bible translation and copyright notice are
> >>> also valid. For now I may add that info to the about screen.
> >>>
> >>> Another user has previously reported an issue with crashing on startup
> >>> but I have been unable to reproduce it. Running as administrator
> >>> should not be necessary, Most likely the problem occurred in
> >>> downloading the ESV bible module from the sword repositories. wide
> >>> margin has error handling and retry logic in there to attempt to
> >>> recover in the case of a bad connection to the sword servers, But it
> >>> is possible that we have still missed a case. I intend to sit down and
> >>> take a hard look at the code to see what can be done to make it more
> >>> robust.
> >>>
> >>> It is truly heart warming to get emails like this.
> >>> God bless,
> >>> Daniel Hughes
> >>> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 4:35 AM, John Grebe <jogrebe@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>>> I hope this email is going to the right place.
> >>>>
> >>>> I am using the Wide Margin Bible version 1.2.13 Beta and ran into a
> few
> >>>> hitches that I thought you would like to know about.  I am using
> Windows 7
> >>>> and the first time that I went to start the program it crashed on me
> on
> >>>> start up.  I tried again but this time had Windows run the program as
> >>>> administrator and after the initial delay of downloading the ESV
> message it
> >>>> worked find and now runs fine on future times without needing to have
> >>>> administrator access.
> >>>>
> >>>> I did run into a problem with the interface with the ability to
> browse the
> >>>> books of the Bible by category.  The Poetry section only contains
> Psalms,
> >>>> Song of Solomon and Lamentations so it is missing Job, Proverbs and
> >>>> Ecclesiastes.  Also the category of the history books is missing.
> >>>>
> >>>> Another style and potentially legal issue is should the program tell
> the
> >>>> user (maybe on the about page) what version of the Bible is being
> used along
> >>>> with the copyright notice of the translation?
> >>>>
> >>>> Finally I want to let you know that despite these little issues
> listed above
> >>>> that Wide Margin stands out to me as being the best piece of Bible
> software
> >>>> when it comes to actually reading the Bible.  I love your simple goal
> of a
> >>>> simple to use Bible program that is focused upon simply reading the
> Bible as
> >>>> compared to the endless study tools and translations of other
> programs which
> >>>> while they do have a place in serious study of small sections tend to
> be
> >>>> more of a distraction overall when it comes to reading.
> >>>>