Google Summer of Code 2014

Google Summer of Code 2014

Faraaz Ismail
2014-02-11 @ 05:22
Hey all,

We talked in our February Google Hangout about trying again this year to
apply for Shoes as an organization to participate in Google Summer of Code.
The deadline is this Friday, February 14 so I thought I'd get a
conversation started about project ideas and applying.

I've started the application process and copied some of the wiki page of
last year's idea list over here:

I found this thread in our archives about the feedback from last year for
our application:

I'd appreciate any suggestions or help to get our application in on time.
Last year our idea list had the following suggestions:

Thanks!

Faraaz

Re: [shoes] Google Summer of Code 2014

Kc Erb
2014-02-11 @ 16:02
I intend to spend a lot of time on three projects in the coming months. My
idea for something to add to the GSOC application is in item 3 (I know this
is a little verbose, but it's just my style (:

1) EQBuddy - a project I built entirely in Shoes3 and am getting over to
Shoes4. I'll have it on github in a month or so.

2) Shoes4 - EQBuddy is constantly helping me find bugs in Shoes4. Whenever
I find one, I will stop working on EQBuddy and turn all of my attention to
Shoes4 until I've fixed the bug. I'm still a little lost on basic ideas in
both Ruby and Shoes. I've never so much as taken an "intro to programming"
class but I've probably written more than 100 hours of code and thousands
of lines on the EQBuddy project so I have more intuition than understanding
when it comes to Ruby and Shoes.

3) Shoes4+Android through Ruboto. I think this project will really help me
understand how Shoes4 is implementing SWT (And thus help me be more useful
in getting Shoes4 to alpha). The idea is to build a Ruboto backend and then
get furoshiki to make .apk's. My only goal right now is to implement bare
bones stuff like flow, stack, button, and image. Once I've got that done,
my focus will be more centered on (and probably more productive in) Shoes4.

Hope that helps,

KC

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 10:22 PM, Faraaz Ismail <faraaz.ismail@utexas.edu>wrote:

> Hey all,
> We talked in our February Google Hangout about trying again this year to
> apply for Shoes as an organization to participate in Google Summer of Code.
> The deadline is this Friday, February 14 so I thought I'd get a
> conversation started about project ideas and applying.
> I've started the application process and copied some of the wiki page of
> last year's idea list over here:
> https://github.com/shoes/shoes4/wiki/GSOC-2014-idea-list
> I found this thread in our archives about the feedback from last year for
> our application:
> http://librelist.com/browser//shoes/2013/4/28/fwd-feedback-for-shoes/
> I'd appreciate any suggestions or help to get our application in on time.
> Last year our idea list had the following suggestions:
> https://github.com/shoes/shoes4/wiki/GSOC-2013-idea-list
> Thanks!
> Faraaz

"If there is an exception to every rule, then every rule must have at
least one exception; the exception to this one being that it has no
exception."

Re: [shoes] Google Summer of Code 2014

Charles Remes
2014-02-11 @ 16:41
Great ideas. I particularly like the one about teaching furoshiki to
create .apk’s.

On Feb 11, 2014, at 10:02 AM, KC Erb <iamkcerb@gmail.com> wrote:

> I intend to spend a lot of time on three projects in the coming months.
My idea for something to add to the GSOC application is in item 3 (I know
this is a little verbose, but it's just my style (:
> 1) EQBuddy - a project I built entirely in Shoes3 and am getting over to
Shoes4. I'll have it on github in a month or so.
> 2) Shoes4 - EQBuddy is constantly helping me find bugs in Shoes4.
Whenever I find one, I will stop working on EQBuddy and turn all of my
attention to Shoes4 until I've fixed the bug. I'm still a little lost on
basic ideas in both Ruby and Shoes. I've never so much as taken an "intro
to programming" class but I've probably written more than 100 hours of
code and thousands of lines on the EQBuddy project so I have more
intuition than understanding when it comes to Ruby and Shoes.
> 3) Shoes4+Android through Ruboto. I think this project will really help
me understand how Shoes4 is implementing SWT (And thus help me be more
useful in getting Shoes4 to alpha). The idea is to build a Ruboto backend
and then get furoshiki to make .apk's. My only goal right now is to
implement bare bones stuff like flow, stack, button, and image. Once I've
got that done, my focus will be more centered on (and probably more
productive in) Shoes4.
> Hope that helps,
> KC
> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 10:22 PM, Faraaz Ismail
<faraaz.ismail@utexas.edu> wrote:
> Hey all,
> We talked in our February Google Hangout about trying again this year to
apply for Shoes as an organization to participate in Google Summer of
Code. The deadline is this Friday, February 14 so I thought I'd get a
conversation started about project ideas and applying.
> I've started the application process and copied some of the wiki page of
last year's idea list over here:
> I found this thread in our archives about the feedback from last year
for our application:
> I'd appreciate any suggestions or help to get our application in on
time. Last year our idea list had the following suggestions:
> Thanks!
> Faraaz
>  "If there is an exception to every rule, then every rule must have at
least one exception; the exception to this one being that it has no
exception."

Re: [shoes] Google Summer of Code 2014

Tobias Pfeiffer
2014-02-12 @ 12:19
Hey y'all for kicking this off... looking at the timeline I'm scared
though if we'll get it in in time.

First we'd need mentors - are there **people up for mentoring**?
Because without mentoring we can't get a spot either way...

Cheers,
Tobi

On Tue 11 Feb 2014 05:41:22 PM CET, Charles Remes wrote:
> Great ideas. I particularly like the one about teaching furoshiki to
> create .apk’s.
> On Feb 11, 2014, at 10:02 AM, KC Erb <iamkcerb@gmail.com
> <mailto:iamkcerb@gmail.com>> wrote:
>> I intend to spend a lot of time on three projects in the coming
>> months. My idea for something to add to the GSOC application is in
>> item 3 (I know this is a little verbose, but it's just my style (:
>> 1) EQBuddy - a project I built entirely in Shoes3 and am getting over
>> to Shoes4. I'll have it on github in a month or so.
>> 2) Shoes4 - EQBuddy is constantly helping me find bugs in Shoes4.
>> Whenever I find one, I will stop working on EQBuddy and turn all of
>> my attention to Shoes4 until I've fixed the bug. I'm still a little
>> lost on basic ideas in both Ruby and Shoes. I've never so much as
>> taken an "intro to programming" class but I've probably written more
>> than 100 hours of code and thousands of lines on the EQBuddy project
>> so I have more intuition than understanding when it comes to Ruby and
>> Shoes.
>> 3) Shoes4+Android through Ruboto. I think this project will really
>> help me understand how Shoes4 is implementing SWT (And thus help me
>> be more useful in getting Shoes4 to alpha). The idea is to build a
>> Ruboto backend and then get furoshiki to make .apk's. My only goal
>> right now is to implement bare bones stuff like flow, stack, button,
>> and image. Once I've got that done, my focus will be more centered on
>> (and probably more productive in) Shoes4.
>> Hope that helps,
>> KC
>> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 10:22 PM, Faraaz Ismail
>> <faraaz.ismail@utexas.edu <mailto:faraaz.ismail@utexas.edu>> wrote:
>>     Hey all,
>>     We talked in our February Google Hangout about trying again this
>>     year to apply for Shoes as an organization to participate in
>>     Google Summer of Code. The deadline is this Friday, February 14
>>     so I thought I'd get a conversation started about project ideas
>>     and applying.
>>     I've started the application process and copied some of the wiki
>>     page of last year's idea list over
>>     here: https://github.com/shoes/shoes4/wiki/GSOC-2014-idea-list
>>     I found this thread in our archives about the feedback from last
>>     year for our
>>     application:
>>     I'd appreciate any suggestions or help to get our application in
>>     on time. Last year our idea list had the following
>>     suggestions: https://github.com/shoes/shoes4/wiki/GSOC-2013-idea-list
>>     Thanks!
>>     Faraaz
>> --
>>  "If there is an exception to every rule, then every rule must have
>> at least one exception; the exception to this one being that it has
>> no exception."

Re: [shoes] Google Summer of Code 2014

Faraaz Ismail
2014-02-13 @ 22:01
Hm yeah, unfortunately looks like it's too close to the deadline, and we
don't have any people yet that are available to mentor this Summer. I'd be
happy to be a mentor, but we'd need multiple potential mentors for backup
to make our application look robust.

Faraaz

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 6:19 AM, Tobias Pfeiffer <
tobias.pfeiffer@student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:

> Hey y'all for kicking this off... looking at the timeline I'm scared
> though if we'll get it in in time.
> First we'd need mentors - are there **people up for mentoring**?
> Because without mentoring we can't get a spot either way...
> Cheers,
> Tobi
> On Tue 11 Feb 2014 05:41:22 PM CET, Charles Remes wrote:
> > Great ideas. I particularly like the one about teaching furoshiki to
> > create .apk's.
> > On Feb 11, 2014, at 10:02 AM, KC Erb <iamkcerb@gmail.com
> > <mailto:iamkcerb@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >> I intend to spend a lot of time on three projects in the coming
> >> months. My idea for something to add to the GSOC application is in
> >> item 3 (I know this is a little verbose, but it's just my style (:
> >> 1) EQBuddy - a project I built entirely in Shoes3 and am getting over
> >> to Shoes4. I'll have it on github in a month or so.
> >>
> >> 2) Shoes4 - EQBuddy is constantly helping me find bugs in Shoes4.
> >> Whenever I find one, I will stop working on EQBuddy and turn all of
> >> my attention to Shoes4 until I've fixed the bug. I'm still a little
> >> lost on basic ideas in both Ruby and Shoes. I've never so much as
> >> taken an "intro to programming" class but I've probably written more
> >> than 100 hours of code and thousands of lines on the EQBuddy project
> >> so I have more intuition than understanding when it comes to Ruby and
> >> Shoes.
> >> 3) Shoes4+Android through Ruboto. I think this project will really
> >> help me understand how Shoes4 is implementing SWT (And thus help me
> >> be more useful in getting Shoes4 to alpha). The idea is to build a
> >> Ruboto backend and then get furoshiki to make .apk's. My only goal
> >> right now is to implement bare bones stuff like flow, stack, button,
> >> and image. Once I've got that done, my focus will be more centered on
> >> (and probably more productive in) Shoes4.
> >> Hope that helps,
> >> KC
> >> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 10:22 PM, Faraaz Ismail
> >> <faraaz.ismail@utexas.edu <mailto:faraaz.ismail@utexas.edu>> wrote:
> >>     Hey all,
> >>     We talked in our February Google Hangout about trying again this
> >>     year to apply for Shoes as an organization to participate in
> >>     Google Summer of Code. The deadline is this Friday, February 14
> >>     so I thought I'd get a conversation started about project ideas
> >>     and applying.
> >>
> >>     I've started the application process and copied some of the wiki
> >>     page of last year's idea list over
> >>     here: https://github.com/shoes/shoes4/wiki/GSOC-2014-idea-list
> >>
> >>     I found this thread in our archives about the feedback from last
> >>     year for our
> >>     application:
> http://librelist.com/browser//shoes/2013/4/28/fwd-feedback-for-shoes/
> >>
> >>     I'd appreciate any suggestions or help to get our application in
> >>     on time. Last year our idea list had the following
> >>     suggestions:
> https://github.com/shoes/shoes4/wiki/GSOC-2013-idea-list
> >>     Thanks!
> >>     Faraaz
> >> --
> >>  "If there is an exception to every rule, then every rule must have
> >> at least one exception; the exception to this one being that it has
> >> no exception."

Re: [shoes] Google Summer of Code 2014

Davor Babic
2014-02-14 @ 09:21
I think I might have too much on my plate this summer... :-/
Davor Babic
davor@davor.se

Faraaz Ismail wrote:
> Hm yeah, unfortunately looks like it's too close to the deadline, and we
> don't have any people yet that are available to mentor this Summer. I'd
> be happy to be a mentor, but we'd need multiple potential mentors for
> backup to make our application look robust.
> Faraaz
> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 6:19 AM, Tobias Pfeiffer
> <tobias.pfeiffer@student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
> <mailto:tobias.pfeiffer@student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de>> wrote:
>     Hey y'all for kicking this off... looking at the timeline I'm scared
>     though if we'll get it in in time.
>     First we'd need mentors - are there **people up for mentoring**?
>     Because without mentoring we can't get a spot either way...
>     Cheers,
>     Tobi
>     On Tue 11 Feb 2014 05:41:22 PM CET, Charles Remes wrote:
>      > Great ideas. I particularly like the one about teaching furoshiki to
>      > create .apk’s.
>      >
>      > On Feb 11, 2014, at 10:02 AM, KC Erb <iamkcerb@gmail.com
>     <mailto:iamkcerb@gmail.com>
>      > <mailto:iamkcerb@gmail.com <mailto:iamkcerb@gmail.com>>> wrote:
>      >
>      >> I intend to spend a lot of time on three projects in the coming
>      >> months. My idea for something to add to the GSOC application is in
>      >> item 3 (I know this is a little verbose, but it's just my style (:
>      >> 1) EQBuddy - a project I built entirely in Shoes3 and am getting
>     over
>      >> to Shoes4. I'll have it on github in a month or so.
>      >>
>      >> 2) Shoes4 - EQBuddy is constantly helping me find bugs in Shoes4.
>      >> Whenever I find one, I will stop working on EQBuddy and turn all of
>      >> my attention to Shoes4 until I've fixed the bug. I'm still a little
>      >> lost on basic ideas in both Ruby and Shoes. I've never so much as
>      >> taken an "intro to programming" class but I've probably written more
>      >> than 100 hours of code and thousands of lines on the EQBuddy project
>      >> so I have more intuition than understanding when it comes to
>     Ruby and
>      >> Shoes.
>      >> 3) Shoes4+Android through Ruboto. I think this project will really
>      >> help me understand how Shoes4 is implementing SWT (And thus help me
>      >> be more useful in getting Shoes4 to alpha). The idea is to build a
>      >> Ruboto backend and then get furoshiki to make .apk's. My only goal
>      >> right now is to implement bare bones stuff like flow, stack, button,
>      >> and image. Once I've got that done, my focus will be more
>     centered on
>      >> (and probably more productive in) Shoes4.
>      >> Hope that helps,
>      >> KC
>      >> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 10:22 PM, Faraaz Ismail
>      >> <faraaz.ismail@utexas.edu <mailto:faraaz.ismail@utexas.edu>
>     <mailto:faraaz.ismail@utexas.edu <mailto:faraaz.ismail@utexas.edu>>>
>     wrote:
>      >> Hey all,
>      >> We talked in our February Google Hangout about trying again this
>      >> year to apply for Shoes as an organization to participate in
>      >> Google Summer of Code. The deadline is this Friday, February 14
>      >> so I thought I'd get a conversation started about project ideas
>      >> and applying.
>      >>
>      >> I've started the application process and copied some of the wiki
>      >> page of last year's idea list over
>      >> here: https://github.com/shoes/shoes4/wiki/GSOC-2014-idea-list
>      >>
>      >> I found this thread in our archives about the feedback from last
>      >> year for our
>      >> application:
>     http://librelist.com/browser//shoes/2013/4/28/fwd-feedback-for-shoes/
>      >>
>      >> I'd appreciate any suggestions or help to get our application in
>      >> on time. Last year our idea list had the following
>      >> suggestions:
>     https://github.com/shoes/shoes4/wiki/GSOC-2013-idea-list
>      >> Thanks!
>      >> Faraaz
>      >> --
>      >> "If there is an exception to every rule, then every rule must have
>      >> at least one exception; the exception to this one being that it has
>      >> no exception."