librelist archives

« back to archive

Shoes 4 loops uninterruptibly after resize when stack width is stated as a percentage.

Shoes 4 loops uninterruptibly after resize when stack width is stated as a percentage.

From:
Bruce Perens
Date:
2014-10-20 @ 16:00
Given this program:

#!    /usr/bin/env jruby
require 'shoes'

Shoes.app do
   flow do
     stack(width: '50%') do
       button "One"
     end
     stack(width: '50%') do
       button "Two"
     end
   end
end

Grab the bottom of the window and drag it up, resizing the window, as 
far as possible, then drag it down again. Notice the black area when you 
pull it down. Shoes loops uninterruptibly when this happens.

     Thanks

     Bruce

Re: [shoes] Shoes 4 loops uninterruptibly after resize when stack width is stated as a percentage.

From:
Jason Clark
Date:
2014-10-21 @ 04:53
Hey Bruce!

That’s definitely not right. I tried your app locally running Shoes from 
source, but it didn’t duplicate, though :(




Could you give us a little more information what OS, Shoes version and JVM
you’re running?Although it doesn’t happen often, sometimes there are 
differences between the platform.




Also, would you mind if I entered this as an issue over on Github? The 
team uses that to track bugs more than the mailing list, although we’re 
happy to help out here!




Thanks,

~Jason

Re: [shoes] Shoes 4 loops uninterruptibly after resize when stack width is stated as a percentage.

From:
Bruce Perens
Date:
2014-10-21 @ 05:00
Hi Jason,

jruby 1.7.16 (1.9.3p392) 2014-09-25 575b395 on OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM 
1.7.0_65-b32 +jit [linux-amd64]
Built using rvm.
OS is Debian Jessie, which is a pre-release.

I don't have a clue how to debug a jvm.

     Thanks

     Bruce

On 10/20/2014 09:53 PM, Jason Clark wrote:
> Hey Bruce!
> That’s definitely not right. I tried your app locally running Shoes 
> from source, but it didn’t duplicate, though :(
>
> Could you give us a little more information what OS, Shoes version and 
> JVM you’re running?Although it doesn’t happen often, sometimes there 
> are differences between the platform.
>
> Also, would you mind if I entered this as an issue over on Github? The 
> team uses that to track bugs more than the mailing list, although 
> we’re happy to help out here!
>
> Thanks,
> ~Jason

Re: [shoes] Shoes 4 loops uninterruptibly after resize when stack width is stated as a percentage.

From:
Bruce Perens
Date:
2014-10-21 @ 05:04
These are the gems that were pulled in. I haven't done anything with 
this jruby environment except to install shoes.

after_do (0.3.1)
axiom-types (0.1.1)
bundler (1.7.3)
bundler-unload (1.0.2)
coercible (1.0.0)
descendants_tracker (0.0.4)
equalizer (0.0.9)
executable-hooks (1.3.2)
ffi (1.9.6 java, 1.9.3 java)
furoshiki (0.2.0)
gem-wrappers (1.2.7)
ice_nine (0.11.0)
jar-dependencies (0.1.3, 0.1.2)
jruby-jars (1.7.16)
jruby-launcher (1.1.0 java)
jruby-openssl (0.9.5 java)
jruby-rack (1.1.16)
json (1.8.1 java, 1.8.0 java)
krypt (0.0.2)
krypt-core (0.0.2 universal-java)
krypt-provider-jdk (0.0.2)
maven-tools (1.0.5)
nokogiri (1.6.3.1 java)
plist (3.1.0)
rake (10.3.2, 10.1.0)
rdoc (4.1.2, 4.0.1)
ruby-maven (3.1.1.0.8)
ruby-maven-libs (3.1.1)
rubygems-bundler (1.4.4)
rubyzip (1.1.6)
rvm (1.11.3.9)
shoes (4.0.0.pre2)
shoes-dsl (4.0.0.pre2)
shoes-swt (4.0.0.pre2)
swt (4.4)
thread_safe (0.3.4 java)
virtus (1.0.3)
warbler (1.4.4)

On 10/20/2014 10:00 PM, Bruce Perens wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> jruby 1.7.16 (1.9.3p392) 2014-09-25 575b395 on OpenJDK 64-Bit Server 
> VM 1.7.0_65-b32 +jit [linux-amd64]
> Built using rvm.
> OS is Debian Jessie, which is a pre-release.
>
> I don't have a clue how to debug a jvm.
>
>     Thanks
>
>     Bruce
>
> On 10/20/2014 09:53 PM, Jason Clark wrote:
>> Hey Bruce!
>> That’s definitely not right. I tried your app locally running Shoes 
>> from source, but it didn’t duplicate, though :(
>>
>> Could you give us a little more information what OS, Shoes version 
>> and JVM you’re running?Although it doesn’t happen often, sometimes 
>> there are differences between the platform.
>>
>> Also, would you mind if I entered this as an issue over on Github? 
>> The team uses that to track bugs more than the mailing list, although 
>> we’re happy to help out here!
>>
>> Thanks,
>> ~Jason
>

Re: [shoes] Shoes 4 loops uninterruptibly after resize when stack width is stated as a percentage.

From:
Tobias Pfeiffer
Date:
2014-10-21 @ 14:59
Hi Bruce,

thanks for the small reproduction script.

I fail to reproduce it as well :-( My system is pretty similiar running
Linux Mint Debian Edition (running on Debian Testing, which.. is Jessie
- right? Never sure about that). My JDK is even older than yours.

So to recap, I start the app and then grab the bottom of the window and
drag it all the way up so the window is basically just the "header" of
the window (whatever that is called..). Then I drag it down again to
like normal size. Works fine for me. However, I am running cinnamon (I
guess you are on gnome 3) so that might be in there somewhere.

I'd be super happy if you could make a video to show how the problem
happens and make that available to me. Also information about your
desktop manager (gnome 3 or whatever) would be appreciated.

Thanks + Shoes on!
Tobi

On 10/21/2014 07:04 AM, Bruce Perens wrote:
> These are the gems that were pulled in. I haven't done anything with
> this jruby environment except to install shoes.
> 
> after_do (0.3.1)
> axiom-types (0.1.1)
> bundler (1.7.3)
> bundler-unload (1.0.2)
> coercible (1.0.0)
> descendants_tracker (0.0.4)
> equalizer (0.0.9)
> executable-hooks (1.3.2)
> ffi (1.9.6 java, 1.9.3 java)
> furoshiki (0.2.0)
> gem-wrappers (1.2.7)
> ice_nine (0.11.0)
> jar-dependencies (0.1.3, 0.1.2)
> jruby-jars (1.7.16)
> jruby-launcher (1.1.0 java)
> jruby-openssl (0.9.5 java)
> jruby-rack (1.1.16)
> json (1.8.1 java, 1.8.0 java)
> krypt (0.0.2)
> krypt-core (0.0.2 universal-java)
> krypt-provider-jdk (0.0.2)
> maven-tools (1.0.5)
> nokogiri (1.6.3.1 java)
> plist (3.1.0)
> rake (10.3.2, 10.1.0)
> rdoc (4.1.2, 4.0.1)
> ruby-maven (3.1.1.0.8)
> ruby-maven-libs (3.1.1)
> rubygems-bundler (1.4.4)
> rubyzip (1.1.6)
> rvm (1.11.3.9)
> shoes (4.0.0.pre2)
> shoes-dsl (4.0.0.pre2)
> shoes-swt (4.0.0.pre2)
> swt (4.4)
> thread_safe (0.3.4 java)
> virtus (1.0.3)
> warbler (1.4.4)
> 
> On 10/20/2014 10:00 PM, Bruce Perens wrote:
>> Hi Jason,
>>
>> jruby 1.7.16 (1.9.3p392) 2014-09-25 575b395 on OpenJDK 64-Bit Server
>> VM 1.7.0_65-b32 +jit [linux-amd64]
>> Built using rvm.
>> OS is Debian Jessie, which is a pre-release.
>>
>> I don't have a clue how to debug a jvm.
>>
>>     Thanks
>>
>>     Bruce
>>
>> On 10/20/2014 09:53 PM, Jason Clark wrote:
>>> Hey Bruce!
>>> That’s definitely not right. I tried your app locally running Shoes
>>> from source, but it didn’t duplicate, though :(
>>>
>>> Could you give us a little more information what OS, Shoes version
>>> and JVM you’re running?Although it doesn’t happen often, sometimes
>>> there are differences between the platform.
>>>
>>> Also, would you mind if I entered this as an issue over on Github?
>>> The team uses that to track bugs more than the mailing list, although
>>> we’re happy to help out here!
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> ~Jason
>>
> 

-- 
www.pragtob.info

Re: [shoes] Shoes 4 loops uninterruptibly after resize when stack width is stated as a percentage.

From:
Bruce Perens
Date:
2014-10-23 @ 23:50
On 10/21/2014 07:59 AM, Tobias Pfeiffer wrote:
>
> I'd be super happy if you could make a video to show how the problem
> happens and make that available to me.
3 photos seem to be enough.

Just after starting the app: http://algoram.com/tmp/shoes/1.png
Bottom pulled up as far as it will go: http://algoram.com/tmp/shoes/2.png
Pull it down again, and oops, it's looping and not responding: 
http://algoram.com/tmp/shoes/3.png

     Thanks

     Bruce

Re: [shoes] Shoes 4 loops uninterruptibly after resize when stack width is stated as a percentage.

From:
Jason Clark
Date:
2014-10-25 @ 05:57
Thanks for the additional pics and information Bruce!




I’ve entered an issue on the Shoes 4 repo to track this further.




https://github.com/shoes/shoes4/issues/926





~Jason

Positioning user-provided graphics in a stack or flow.

From:
Bruce Perens
Date:
2014-10-25 @ 06:04
Hi,

How does one determine the right, bottom of the concatenation of all 
objects in a stack or flow? If I am not missing something, this seems to 
be dependent on internal objects with unexported APIs.

     Thanks

     Bruce

Re: [shoes] Positioning user-provided graphics in a stack or flow.

From:
Tobias Pfeiffer
Date:
2014-10-26 @ 20:17
Hi Bruce,

so there is an API in shoes4 for that, it's not well documented yet
because documentation is still on the todo.

There is a bit of documentation at the top of dimensions.rb:
https://github.com/shoes/shoes4/blob/master/lib/shoes/dimensions.rb

All shoes elements respond to that. So you should be able to do:
stack.absolute_right/stack.absolute_bottom to get the absolute
coordinates of the bottom right. One thing is, though, that right now
the positioning just runs at the end (after all code has been evaluated
once) which means that you should get it on a button click or somehow later.

We are working on making that immedeatly available, but that will be
quite some work.

Cheers,
Tobi

On 10/25/2014 08:04 AM, Bruce Perens wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> How does one determine the right, bottom of the concatenation of all 
> objects in a stack or flow? If I am not missing something, this seems to 
> be dependent on internal objects with unexported APIs.
> 
>      Thanks
> 
>      Bruce
> 

-- 
www.pragtob.info

Re: [shoes] Shoes 4 loops uninterruptibly after resize when stack width is stated as a percentage.

From:
Tobias Pfeiffer
Date:
2014-10-26 @ 20:10
Hi Bruce,

which version of shoes are you running? Are you running 4-pre2 or 4-pre1
or are you running from master?

Still failing to reproduce over here, unfortunately :-(

I have a hunch what might cause this (the window resize code on the
Shoes app on the swt size). We had an issue were it looped due to
constantly trying to resize itself once.

Cheers and thanks for all the info,
Tobi

On 10/25/2014 07:57 AM, Jason Clark wrote:
> Thanks for the additional pics and information Bruce!
> 
> I’ve entered an issue on the Shoes 4 repo to track this further.
> 
> https://github.com/shoes/shoes4/issues/926
> 
> ~Jason

-- 
www.pragtob.info

Re: [shoes] Shoes 4 loops uninterruptibly after resize when stack width is stated as a percentage.

From:
Jason Clark
Date:
2015-01-11 @ 04:09
I've made some recent changes on the master branch for Shoes that will log

exceptions at some points where they were previoulsly just hanging the

application.




This issue looks like something along those lines, so if anyone who could

duplicate it could test out the failing code against Shoes master, I'd be very

grateful!




Thanks, and shoes on!



~Jason

list_box vertical alignment is wrong

From:
Bruce Perens
Date:
2014-10-24 @ 00:05
Hi,

Same configuration as my last report. Using this program:

#!    /usr/bin/env jruby
require 'shoes'

Shoes.app do
   stack do
     flow do
       para "1"
       list_box items: ['a']
     end
     flow do
       para "2"
       list_box items: ['b']
     end
     flow do
       button 'Push me'
     end
   end
end

I get the incorrect list-box alignment as in 
http://algoram.com/tmp/shoes/4.png

     Thanks

     Bruce

Re: [shoes] list_box vertical alignment is wrong

From:
Jason Clark
Date:
2014-10-25 @ 06:06
Hey Bruce,

Entered this as https://github.com/shoes/shoes4/issues/927 for further tracking.




Looks at first glance to be Linux specific and I’m running on OS X, but 
hopefully someone else will be able to run it down.





Thanks for the report!
~Jason

Re: [shoes] list_box vertical alignment is wrong

From:
Bruce Perens
Date:
2014-10-25 @ 06:08
Hm. They told me Java wasn't supposed to have that problem :-) Should I 
try a different JVM?

     Thanks

     Bruce

On 10/24/2014 11:06 PM, Jason Clark wrote:
> Hey Bruce,
> Entered this as https://github.com/shoes/shoes4/issues/927 for further 
> tracking.
>
> Looks at first glance to be Linux specific and I’m running on OS X, 
> but hopefully someone else will be able to run it down.
>
> Thanks for the report!
> ~Jason

Re: [shoes] list_box vertical alignment is wrong

From:
Jason Clark
Date:
2014-10-25 @ 06:17
Not sure what the standard is that others are using when on Linux.




All kidding aside, there are occasional UI differences with SWT (the Java

library we rely on) between OS’s. It tries hard to be “native”, so we

definitely have seen things like this where sizing is off subtly (or not so

subtly).




Maybe someone else using Shoes 4 on Linux can let you know what JVM they’re

using.




~Jason

non-native controls

From:
Bruce Perens
Date:
2014-10-24 @ 20:59
Has anyone done much work on non-native controls? This is a simple 
slider demo.

     Thanks

     Bruce

Re: [shoes] non-native controls

From:
Jason Clark
Date:
2014-11-04 @ 00:45
Hey Bruce,

Sorry this one slipped by me when you sent it earlier. That’s a

really neat idea, and I certainly haven’t done anything like that directly in

Shoes.




While for 4.0 we’re just aiming for compatibility and coverage on existing

things in Shoes, this would be awesome to log as a potential enhancement for

4.1 where we’ll start introducing new stuff.




Thanks for sharing that, and definitely post back if you end up making a gem or

popping an issue in for it.






~Jason

Re: [shoes] non-native controls

From:
Bruce Perens
Date:
2014-11-04 @ 01:19
Hi Jason,

It's not going to be very practical until we have a way to deal with the 
geometry issues. I confirmed that, as you wrote, I don't get proper 
geometry information until everything else has rendered once.

     Thanks

     Bruce

On 11/03/2014 04:45 PM, Jason Clark wrote:
> Hey Bruce,
> Sorry this one slipped by me when you sent it earlier. That’s a
> really neat idea, and I certainly haven’t done anything like that 
> directly in
> Shoes.
>
> While for 4.0 we’re just aiming for compatibility and coverage on existing
> things in Shoes, this would be awesome to log as a potential 
> enhancement for
> 4.1 where we’ll start introducing new stuff.
>
> Thanks for sharing that, and definitely post back if you end up making 
> a gem or
> popping an issue in for it.
>
> ~Jason