Can't build shoes

Can't build shoes

Sascha Manns
2014-01-11 @ 19:38
Hello List,

today i tried out to build shoes from git directly as explained in the Wiki
(for openSUSE).
Sadly the build breaks. My steps are pasted there:

Maybe anyone knows what's wrong?
Sincerly yours

Sascha Manns

Maifeldstraße 10
56 727 Mayen
Phone: +49-2651-40 14 045
Mobile: +49-1573-924 27 30
saigkill@jabber.org

Cecil Coupe
2014-01-11 @ 20:01
   You appear to be compiling against a ruby 2.0 installed by your linux
distribution. Not recommended.
The Shoes code really wants ruby 1.9.1 and nothing newer or older. I
highly recommend using rvm to
build ruby's. You only need 1.9.1 active when building Shoes.   I'm
working on a newer version of
Shoes that is more modern but that won't help you yet.

On 01/11/2014 12:38 PM, Sascha Manns wrote:
> Hello List,
> today i tried out to build shoes from git directly as explained in the Wiki
> (for openSUSE).
> Sadly the build breaks. My steps are pasted there:
> http://pastebin.com/iiUyWzJj.
> Maybe anyone knows what's wrong?

James Gifford
2014-01-11 @ 20:22
I've confirmed that 1.9.3 will work.

James Gifford
cell: 2162069338

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 3:01 PM, Cecil Coupe <ccoupe@cableone.net> wrote:

>    You appear to be compiling against a ruby 2.0 installed by your linux
> distribution. Not recommended.
> The Shoes code really wants ruby 1.9.1 and nothing newer or older. I
> highly recommend using rvm to
> build ruby's. You only need 1.9.1 active when building Shoes.   I'm
> working on a newer version of
> Shoes that is more modern but that won't help you yet.
> On 01/11/2014 12:38 PM, Sascha Manns wrote:
> > Hello List,
> > today i tried out to build shoes from git directly as explained in the
> Wiki
> > (for openSUSE).
> > Sadly the build breaks. My steps are pasted there:
> > http://pastebin.com/iiUyWzJj.
> > Maybe anyone knows what's wrong?

Sascha Manns
2014-01-11 @ 20:46
Hello List,

Am Samstag, 11. Januar 2014, 15:22:26 schrieb James Gifford:
> I've confirmed that 1.9.3 will work.
I've tried out now with 1.9.1 and 1.9.3.
The build for 1.9.1 is on http://pastebin.com/aXCLFBQj and 1.9.3 on

Maybe i missed anything?

Sincerly yours

Sascha Manns

Maifeldstraße 10
56 727 Mayen
Phone: +49-2651-40 14 045
Mobile: +49-1573-924 27 30
saigkill@jabber.org

Cecil Coupe
2014-01-11 @ 22:50
That is puzzling. Switching Rubies would not cause image.c to spit out
errors. That's either the gif library or the gcc compiler.  I suspect
you have an older version of gif or perhaps one of the politically correct
versions of the library (ungif).   Or a very new gif -

FWIW, the build you said was 1.9.1 was using rvm 1.9.3 for headers. It
should compile with either.  Which linux are you using?

On 01/11/2014 01:46 PM, Sascha Manns wrote:
> Hello List,
> Am Samstag, 11. Januar 2014, 15:22:26 schrieb James Gifford:
>> I've confirmed that 1.9.3 will work.
> I've tried out now with 1.9.1 and 1.9.3.
> The build for 1.9.1 is on http://pastebin.com/aXCLFBQj and 1.9.3 on
> http://pastebin.com/deiXzmDD
> Maybe i missed anything?

Sascha Manns
2014-01-12 @ 06:48
Hi Cecil,

Am Samstag, 11. Januar 2014, 15:50:20 schrieb Cecil Coupe:
> That is puzzling. Switching Rubies would not cause image.c to spit out
> errors. That's either the gif library or the gcc compiler.  I suspect
> you have an older version of gif or perhaps one of the politically correct
> versions of the library (ungif).   Or a very new gif -
> https://github.com/richardgv/skippy-xd/issues/22.

It's not so easy to build shoes as i thought. I'm using that package versions
in openSUSE:
giflib-devel - 5.0.5
cairo-devel - 1.12
libpixman - not available in oS
libpixman-1-0-devel - 0.30
pango-devel - 1.36
libjpeg62-devel - 1.2.1
gtk2-devel - 2.24
libcurl-devel - 7.32
ruby-devel - 2.0.5
portaudio-19_20111121
gcc-4.8.2
libxml2-2 - 2.9.1
libxml2-devel - 2.9.1
libxslt1 - 1.1.28
llibxslt-devel - 1.1.28
sqlite3 - 3.7.17
sqlite3-devel - 3.7.17

All packages are installed in x86_64.

Sincerly yours

Sascha Manns (bdvb)
openSUSE Packager / Membership team

Cecil Coupe
2014-01-12 @ 07:16
Am,

I suspected you had [Open]Suse. The work around is pretty easy if you're
willing to try. From your pastebin, That would be line 293 of image.c
(same line number for my version image.c)

shoes/image.c:293:3: error: too few arguments to function
‘DGifOpenFileName’ so

Add one line and change one line so it looks like
int retcode = 0;
gif = DGifOpenFileName(filename, &retcode);

and redo the build. I can't try it because my gif_lib isn't affected but
it ought to work and you're
unlikely to ever load a gif once it does build.
--Cecil

On 01/11/2014 11:48 PM, Sascha Manns wrote:
> Hi Cecil,
> Am Samstag, 11. Januar 2014, 15:50:20 schrieb Cecil Coupe:
>> That is puzzling. Switching Rubies would not cause image.c to spit out
>> errors. That's either the gif library or the gcc compiler.  I suspect
>> you have an older version of gif or perhaps one of the politically correct
>> versions of the library (ungif).   Or a very new gif -
>> https://github.com/richardgv/skippy-xd/issues/22.
> It's not so easy to build shoes as i thought. I'm using that package versions
> in openSUSE:
> giflib-devel - 5.0.5
> cairo-devel - 1.12
> libpixman - not available in oS
> libpixman-1-0-devel - 0.30
> pango-devel - 1.36
> libjpeg62-devel - 1.2.1
> gtk2-devel - 2.24
> libcurl-devel - 7.32
> ruby-devel - 2.0.5
> portaudio-19_20111121
> gcc-4.8.2
> libxml2-2 - 2.9.1
> libxml2-devel - 2.9.1
> libxslt1 - 1.1.28
> llibxslt-devel - 1.1.28
> sqlite3 - 3.7.17
> sqlite3-devel - 3.7.17
> All packages are installed in x86_64.

Sascha Manns
2014-01-12 @ 11:38
Hi Cecil,

Am Sonntag, 12. Januar 2014, 00:16:05 schrieb Cecil Coupe:
> Add one line and change one line so it looks like
> int retcode = 0;
> gif = DGifOpenFileName(filename, &retcode);
That workaround works. But now it breaks a little bit later:

I don't now, but i'm guessing that the relevant part is "cannot find -lungif".
Maybe i missed a dependency?

Sincerly yours

Sascha Manns (bdvb)
openSUSE Packager / Membership team

Sascha Manns
2014-01-12 @ 19:31
Hi Cecil,

Am Sonntag, 12. Januar 2014, 00:16:05 schrieb Cecil Coupe:
> Add one line and change one line so it looks like
> int retcode = 0;
> gif = DGifOpenFileName(filename, &retcode);
That workaround works. But now it breaks a little bit later:

I don't now, but i'm guessing that the relevant part is "cannot find -lungif".
Maybe i missed a dependency?

Sincerly yours

Sascha Manns (bdvb)
openSUSE Packager / Membership team

Cecil Coupe
2014-01-12 @ 21:01
Correct.  -lungif means you're missing ungif-dev (or something close to
that).  I wish Suse would fix that but they don't listen to me ;^)  Once
you install it, don't be surprised if you have to remove the change we
made to image.c  I also note that you have a lot of warning messages
that are not 'normal' when
building shoes.

On 01/12/2014 12:31 PM, Sascha Manns wrote:
> Hi Cecil,
> Am Sonntag, 12. Januar 2014, 00:16:05 schrieb Cecil Coupe:
>> Add one line and change one line so it looks like
>> int retcode = 0;
>> gif = DGifOpenFileName(filename, &retcode);
> That workaround works. But now it breaks a little bit later:
> http://pastebin.com/kzhTqL3b
> I don't now, but i'm guessing that the relevant part is "cannot find -lungif".
> Maybe i missed a dependency?

Sascha Manns
2014-01-12 @ 22:13
Hi Cecil,

Am Sonntag, 12. Januar 2014, 14:01:36 schrieb Cecil Coupe:
> Correct.  -lungif means you're missing ungif-dev (or something close to
> that).  I wish Suse would fix that but they don't listen to me ;^)  Once
> you install it, don't be surprised if you have to remove the change we
> made to image.c  I also note that you have a lot of warning messages
> that are not 'normal' when
> building shoes.
Actual it breaks on the same time. I have a giflib-devel-5.0.5 installed with
a gif_lib.h in /usr/include. I can't see a ungif.h there. Also no other
packages are provided. Maybe it searches on another place?
It looks like it's a little bit tricky to build shoes on openSUSE ...
A precompiled run-package could help there..

Sincerly yours

Sascha Manns (bdvb)
openSUSE Packager / Membership team

Cecil Coupe
2014-01-12 @ 23:23
The libraries are in /usr/lib or /usr/lib/x86_64-gnu-linux or similar
places. That's where the linker is
looking and can't find a libungif.so.* -- that is the file the -lungif
is looking fore. On my Debian based system libungif.so.* is just a
series of softlinks to libgif.so*.  You could also look in the rakefile
(make/linux/env.rb if memory serves) and you'll see where 'ungif' is
included in the link phase (LDFLAGS, LINUX_LIBS)
Edit it to just say 'gif'.

I am working on a binary distribution for linux, but it's weeks away (or
longer).

On 01/12/2014 03:13 PM, Sascha Manns wrote:
> Hi Cecil,
> Am Sonntag, 12. Januar 2014, 14:01:36 schrieb Cecil Coupe:
>> Correct.  -lungif means you're missing ungif-dev (or something close to
>> that).  I wish Suse would fix that but they don't listen to me ;^)  Once
>> you install it, don't be surprised if you have to remove the change we
>> made to image.c  I also note that you have a lot of warning messages
>> that are not 'normal' when
>> building shoes.
> Actual it breaks on the same time. I have a giflib-devel-5.0.5 installed with
> a gif_lib.h in /usr/include. I can't see a ungif.h there. Also no other
> packages are provided. Maybe it searches on another place?
> It looks like it's a little bit tricky to build shoes on openSUSE ...
> A precompiled run-package could help there..

Douglas Allen
2014-01-16 @ 02:06
Hey all question.
Since this version of shoes uses the swt which is easily installable in
eclipse I want to ask if for a side project that shoes could be made into
an eclipse project so we could build it from there. Thanks. No reply
needed. Just hope it gets considered.

On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 5:23 PM, Cecil Coupe <ccoupe@cableone.net> wrote:

> The libraries are in /usr/lib or /usr/lib/x86_64-gnu-linux or similar
> places. That's where the linker is
> looking and can't find a libungif.so.* -- that is the file the -lungif
> is looking fore. On my Debian based system libungif.so.* is just a
> series of softlinks to libgif.so*.  You could also look in the rakefile
> (make/linux/env.rb if memory serves) and you'll see where 'ungif' is
> included in the link phase (LDFLAGS, LINUX_LIBS)
> Edit it to just say 'gif'.
> I am working on a binary distribution for linux, but it's weeks away (or
> longer).
> On 01/12/2014 03:13 PM, Sascha Manns wrote:
> > Hi Cecil,
> > Am Sonntag, 12. Januar 2014, 14:01:36 schrieb Cecil Coupe:
> >> Correct.  -lungif means you're missing ungif-dev (or something close to
> >> that).  I wish Suse would fix that but they don't listen to me ;^)  Once
> >> you install it, don't be surprised if you have to remove the change we
> >> made to image.c  I also note that you have a lot of warning messages
> >> that are not 'normal' when
> >> building shoes.
> > Actual it breaks on the same time. I have a giflib-devel-5.0.5 installed
> with
> > a gif_lib.h in /usr/include. I can't see a ungif.h there. Also no other
> > packages are provided. Maybe it searches on another place?
> > It looks like it's a little bit tricky to build shoes on openSUSE ...
> > A precompiled run-package could help there..

Eric Watson
2014-01-16 @ 03:17
Douglas,

I would support any efforts to make Shoes easier to build. Shoes 4, which
uses SWT, doesn't really have a build step, though. It's just `bundle
install`. But if you run into trouble, please open an issue on github :)

Eric

> On Jan 15, 2014, at 20:06, Douglas Allen <kb9agt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all question.
> Since this version of shoes uses the swt which is easily installable in
eclipse I want to ask if for a side project that shoes could be made into
an eclipse project so we could build it from there. Thanks. No reply
needed. Just hope it gets considered.
>> On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 5:23 PM, Cecil Coupe <ccoupe@cableone.net> wrote:
>> The libraries are in /usr/lib or /usr/lib/x86_64-gnu-linux or similar
>> places. That's where the linker is
>> looking and can't find a libungif.so.* -- that is the file the -lungif
>> is looking fore. On my Debian based system libungif.so.* is just a
>> series of softlinks to libgif.so*.  You could also look in the rakefile
>> (make/linux/env.rb if memory serves) and you'll see where 'ungif' is
>> included in the link phase (LDFLAGS, LINUX_LIBS)
>> Edit it to just say 'gif'.
>> I am working on a binary distribution for linux, but it's weeks away (or
>> longer).
>> On 01/12/2014 03:13 PM, Sascha Manns wrote:
>> > Hi Cecil,
>> >
>> > Am Sonntag, 12. Januar 2014, 14:01:36 schrieb Cecil Coupe:
>> >> Correct.  -lungif means you're missing ungif-dev (or something close to
>> >> that).  I wish Suse would fix that but they don't listen to me ;^)  Once
>> >> you install it, don't be surprised if you have to remove the change we
>> >> made to image.c  I also note that you have a lot of warning messages
>> >> that are not 'normal' when
>> >> building shoes.
>> > Actual it breaks on the same time. I have a giflib-devel-5.0.5 installed with
>> > a gif_lib.h in /usr/include. I can't see a ungif.h there. Also no other
>> > packages are provided. Maybe it searches on another place?
>> > It looks like it's a little bit tricky to build shoes on openSUSE ...
>> > A precompiled run-package could help there..
>> >

Tobias Pfeiffer
2014-01-16 @ 12:29
Also an installer is on the schedule for release candidate one :-)

On Thu 16 Jan 2014 04:17:27 AM CET, Eric Watson wrote:
> Douglas,
> I would support any efforts to make Shoes easier to build. Shoes 4,
which uses SWT, doesn't really have a build step, though. It's just
`bundle install`. But if you run into trouble, please open an issue on
github :)
> Eric
>> On Jan 15, 2014, at 20:06, Douglas Allen <kb9agt@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hey all question.
>> Since this version of shoes uses the swt which is easily installable in
eclipse I want to ask if for a side project that shoes could be made into
an eclipse project so we could build it from there. Thanks. No reply
needed. Just hope it gets considered.
>>> On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 5:23 PM, Cecil Coupe <ccoupe@cableone.net> wrote:
>>> The libraries are in /usr/lib or /usr/lib/x86_64-gnu-linux or similar
>>> places. That's where the linker is
>>> looking and can't find a libungif.so.* -- that is the file the -lungif
>>> is looking fore. On my Debian based system libungif.so.* is just a
>>> series of softlinks to libgif.so*.  You could also look in the rakefile
>>> (make/linux/env.rb if memory serves) and you'll see where 'ungif' is
>>> included in the link phase (LDFLAGS, LINUX_LIBS)
>>> Edit it to just say 'gif'.
>>> I am working on a binary distribution for linux, but it's weeks away (or
>>> longer).
>>> On 01/12/2014 03:13 PM, Sascha Manns wrote:
>>>> Hi Cecil,
>>>>
>>>> Am Sonntag, 12. Januar 2014, 14:01:36 schrieb Cecil Coupe:
>>>>> Correct.  -lungif means you're missing ungif-dev (or something close to
>>>>> that).  I wish Suse would fix that but they don't listen to me ;^)  Once
>>>>> you install it, don't be surprised if you have to remove the change we
>>>>> made to image.c  I also note that you have a lot of warning messages
>>>>> that are not 'normal' when
>>>>> building shoes.
>>>> Actual it breaks on the same time. I have a giflib-devel-5.0.5 installed with
>>>> a gif_lib.h in /usr/include. I can't see a ungif.h there. Also no other
>>>> packages are provided. Maybe it searches on another place?
>>>> It looks like it's a little bit tricky to build shoes on openSUSE ...
>>>> A precompiled run-package could help there..
>>>>

Cecil Coupe
2014-01-17 @ 09:03
Eric,

You'll be pleasantly surprised with what I've done in Shoe 3.2
(federales) for simple Linux builds from source. You'll gasp in horror
at what's needed to distribute Red Shoes *binaries*. Easy things should
be easy and hard things should be achievable for the willing.

--Cecil
On 01/15/2014 08:17 PM, Eric Watson wrote:
> Douglas,
> I would support any efforts to make Shoes easier to build. Shoes 4,
> which uses SWT, doesn't really have a build step, though. It's just
> `bundle install`. But if you run into trouble, please open an issue on
> github :)
> Eric
> On Jan 15, 2014, at 20:06, Douglas Allen <kb9agt@gmail.com
> <mailto:kb9agt@gmail.com>> wrote:
>> Hey all question.
>> Since this version of shoes uses the swt which is easily installable
>> in eclipse I want to ask if for a side project that shoes could be
>> made into an eclipse project so we could build it from there. Thanks.
>> No reply needed. Just hope it gets considered.
>> On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 5:23 PM, Cecil Coupe <ccoupe@cableone.net
>> <mailto:ccoupe@cableone.net>> wrote:
>>     The libraries are in /usr/lib or /usr/lib/x86_64-gnu-linux or similar
>>     places. That's where the linker is
>>     looking and can't find a libungif.so.* -- that is the file the
>>     -lungif
>>     is looking fore. On my Debian based system libungif.so.* is just a
>>     series of softlinks to libgif.so*.  You could also look in the
>>     rakefile
>>     (make/linux/env.rb if memory serves) and you'll see where 'ungif' is
>>     included in the link phase (LDFLAGS, LINUX_LIBS)
>>     Edit it to just say 'gif'.
>>     I am working on a binary distribution for linux, but it's weeks
>>     away (or
>>     longer).
>>     On 01/12/2014 03:13 PM, Sascha Manns wrote:
>>     > Hi Cecil,
>>     >
>>     > Am Sonntag, 12. Januar 2014, 14:01:36 schrieb Cecil Coupe:
>>     >> Correct.  -lungif means you're missing ungif-dev (or something
>>     close to
>>     >> that).  I wish Suse would fix that but they don't listen to me
>>     ;^)  Once
>>     >> you install it, don't be surprised if you have to remove the
>>     change we
>>     >> made to image.c  I also note that you have a lot of warning
>>     messages
>>     >> that are not 'normal' when
>>     >> building shoes.
>>     > Actual it breaks on the same time. I have a giflib-devel-5.0.5
>>     installed with
>>     > a gif_lib.h in /usr/include. I can't see a ungif.h there. Also
>>     no other
>>     > packages are provided. Maybe it searches on another place?
>>     > It looks like it's a little bit tricky to build shoes on
>>     openSUSE ...
>>     > A precompiled run-package could help there..
>>     >

Eric Watson
2014-01-17 @ 12:37
On Jan 17, 2014, at 3:03 AM, Cecil Coupe <ccoupe@cableone.net> wrote:

> You'll be pleasantly surprised with what I've done in Shoe 3.2
(federales) for simple Linux builds from source. You'll gasp in horror at
what's needed to distribute Red Shoes binaries.  Easy things should be
easy and hard things should be achievable for the willing.

I’m excited to try it out (hosed my Linux VM and haven’t rebuilt it yet).
You’re right—building from source should be easy, and people *want* to
build Shoes. Thanks for making it possible!

Eric