librelist archives

« back to archive

[GSoC] - Shoes on JRuby

[GSoC] - Shoes on JRuby

From:
Hussein El Motayam
Date:
2012-03-30 @ 22:40
Greetings,


My name is Hussein El Motayam. I'm an Egyptian Computer Engineering
student. I'm studying Computer Engineering at Cairo University. Currently
I'm in my last year and I have plenty of free time that I need to fill by
contributing to a large opensource project. Primarily, I'm seeking
experience and knowledge.



I was checking out the projects on Google Summer of Code and I stumbled
upon the JRuby project where they needed some work on Shoes framework to
make it truly cross-platform. I've been coding in Java for more than 7
years now, and I started learning Ruby a few month ago. I really find
it interesting.


I was thinking about contributing to the Shoes project by helping
integrating Shoes with Java's Swing GUI framework. So, I need some help on
how to get started. Anyone ? :)


Regards


--

Hussein El Motayam

Re: [shoes] [GSoC] - Shoes on JRuby

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2012-03-30 @ 23:17
Hey Hussein!

I primarily take care of Red Shoes, which is not the JRuby Shoes, but
I'll do anything I can to help you.

There are two flavors of Shoes on JRuby: brown and purple.

Brown: https://github.com/shoes/brown_shoes

Purple: https://github.com/ashbb/purple_shoes

Peter and Ash can give you a better rundown of each.

Re: [shoes] [GSoC] - Shoes on JRuby

From:
J. Kaiden
Date:
2012-03-30 @ 23:28
hi Hussein,

this is great news!

  welcome to the list, and to Shoes...

 - j


On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 11:17 PM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:

> Hey Hussein!
>
> I primarily take care of Red Shoes, which is not the JRuby Shoes, but
> I'll do anything I can to help you.
>
> There are two flavors of Shoes on JRuby: brown and purple.
>
> Brown: https://github.com/shoes/brown_shoes
>
> Purple: https://github.com/ashbb/purple_shoes
>
> Peter and Ash can give you a better rundown of each.
>

Re: [shoes] [GSoC] - Shoes on JRuby

From:
Peter Fitzgibbons
Date:
2012-03-31 @ 00:57
Hello Hussein,

I indeed made the proposal to GSOC for Jruby Shoes, and I have not heard
back from them.
I would be more than happy to help you help us with JRuby Shoes.

As far as GSOC, I do not yet have any information on how GSOC works on
mentor side (me) or student side (potentially you).  When I have
information I will certainly post it to the mailing list (ML) for info.

If you're interested in getting started with JRuby Shoes, you can fork the
brown_shoes project on GitHub https://github.com/shoes/brown_shoes.
Could you tell me a bit about your experience with Java development,
especially around GUI frameworks SWT or Swing?

Happy to have you aboard!

Shoes On

Peter Fitzgibbons
(847) 859-9550
Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com


On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 5:40 PM, Hussein El Motayam <
husseinelmotayam@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Greetings,
>
>
> My name is Hussein El Motayam. I'm an Egyptian Computer Engineering
> student. I'm studying Computer Engineering at Cairo University. Currently
> I'm in my last year and I have plenty of free time that I need to fill by
> contributing to a large opensource project. Primarily, I'm seeking
> experience and knowledge.
>
>
>
> I was checking out the projects on Google Summer of Code and I stumbled
> upon the JRuby project where they needed some work on Shoes framework to
> make it truly cross-platform. I've been coding in Java for more than 7
> years now, and I started learning Ruby a few month ago. I really find
> it interesting.
>
>
> I was thinking about contributing to the Shoes project by helping
> integrating Shoes with Java's Swing GUI framework. So, I need some help on
> how to get started. Anyone ? :)
>
>
> Regards
>
>
> --
>
> Hussein El Motayam
>

Re: [shoes] [GSoC] - Shoes on JRuby

From:
Charles Oliver Nutter
Date:
2012-03-31 @ 11:29
On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 7:57 PM, Peter Fitzgibbons
<peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Hussein,
>
> I indeed made the proposal to GSOC for Jruby Shoes, and I have not heard
> back from them.

Sorry if there's something we haven't replied to...I was out of town
and lost track of email a bit :)

You can apply to be a mentor here:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2012/jruby

If you have not already registered a Google account with the GSoC
tool, use the "register" link to do so.

> As far as GSOC, I do not yet have any information on how GSOC works on
> mentor side (me) or student side (potentially you).  When I have information
> I will certainly post it to the mailing list (ML) for info.

You will be accepted as a mentor without any questions :)

On the student side, we would like to see a solid proposal that
details the scope of the problem and a schedule for completing it.
There's a template for students to fill in on the JRuby GSoC page.
Hussein has already submitted a preliminary proposal, but it lacked
details about scope and schedule so I sent him here.

Core JRuby team members will act as co-mentors, to support you both,
but it will largely be up to the mentor and the student to see the
project to completion. We recommend having reasonable checkpoints and
at least weekly meet-ups (on IRC, IM, Skype, etc) to make sure the
project is moving forward well.

The GSoC pages have other general recommendations for students and
mentors. Feel free to lean on me as a resource...I've done a couple
GSoCs and mentored two projects in RubySoC a couple years ago.

Hussein has already submitted a proposal, and hopefully you will be
able to see it in the tool once you're a mentor. If not, let me know
by direct email or IM.

- Charlie

Re: [shoes] [GSoC] - Shoes on JRuby

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2012-03-31 @ 14:59
I also mentored Ruby Summer of Code. Such a good thing. This excites me!

Re: [shoes] [GSoC] - Shoes on JRuby

From:
ashbb
Date:
2012-03-31 @ 01:21
Hi Peter,

Just I read the post in ruby-talk:
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/394218

Thanks for the proposal to GSOC for Jruby Shoes!!

ashbb

Re: [shoes] [GSoC] - Shoes on JRuby

From:
Hussein El Motayam
Date:
2012-03-31 @ 01:16
First of all, thanks for your replies :)

Well, I've been using Java during my study, where I made lots of projects.
Concerning Swing, I don't really know what you are expecting from me, but I
do know the concepts behind Swing. I know how to create/extend components
and use them together.

By the way, I'm one of the main developers working on the
FBPwn<https://code.google.com/p/fbpwn/>
 project.

I'll fork the repo and spend some time with the code. My username on GitHub
is <HusseinElMotayam>

Regards

--
Hussein El Motayam



On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 2:57 AM, Peter Fitzgibbons <
peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Hussein,
>
> I indeed made the proposal to GSOC for Jruby Shoes, and I have not heard
> back from them.
> I would be more than happy to help you help us with JRuby Shoes.
>
> As far as GSOC, I do not yet have any information on how GSOC works on
> mentor side (me) or student side (potentially you).  When I have
> information I will certainly post it to the mailing list (ML) for info.
>
> If you're interested in getting started with JRuby Shoes, you can fork the
> brown_shoes project on GitHub https://github.com/shoes/brown_shoes.
> Could you tell me a bit about your experience with Java development,
> especially around GUI frameworks SWT or Swing?
>
> Happy to have you aboard!
>
> Shoes On
>
> Peter Fitzgibbons
> (847) 859-9550
> Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
> IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
> IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
>
>
>
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 5:40 PM, Hussein El Motayam <
> husseinelmotayam@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  Greetings,
>>
>>
>> My name is Hussein El Motayam. I'm an Egyptian Computer Engineering
>> student. I'm studying Computer Engineering at Cairo University. Currently
>> I'm in my last year and I have plenty of free time that I need to fill by
>> contributing to a large opensource project. Primarily, I'm seeking
>> experience and knowledge.
>>
>>
>>
>> I was checking out the projects on Google Summer of Code and I stumbled
>> upon the JRuby project where they needed some work on Shoes framework to
>> make it truly cross-platform. I've been coding in Java for more than 7
>> years now, and I started learning Ruby a few month ago. I really find
>> it interesting.
>>
>>
>> I was thinking about contributing to the Shoes project by helping
>> integrating Shoes with Java's Swing GUI framework. So, I need some help on
>> how to get started. Anyone ? :)
>>
>>
>> Regards
>>
>>
>> --
>>
>> Hussein El Motayam
>>
>
>

Re: [shoes] [GSoC] - Shoes on JRuby

From:
ashbb
Date:
2012-03-31 @ 01:19
Hi Hussein,

Welcome to Shoes ML!

Purple Shoes is built with JRuby and SWT. But the code is written in Ruby
only, not use Java. Because I don't know Java language. :-P

Anyway, let's enjoy Shoes!! :-D

ashbb