Red Shoes for Windows with Ruby 1.9.3p125

Red Shoes for Windows with Ruby 1.9.3p125

2012-02-26 @ 06:42
Hi all,

I got to build Red Shoes for Windows with Ruby 1.9.3p125 on my Windows 7.

The procedure I did is:

- Add a small commit to ashbb/rubyinstaller

- Create c:\shoes_dev directory according to ashbb/shoes_hack_note #019
  Download ruby-1.9.3-p125.tar.bz2 from ruby-lang.org into
c:\shoes_dev/downloads

- Clone shoes/shoes/develop branch
  Replace rake/make files and some source files

- Build Shoes without Video support and package Shoes with the following
command
  - rake interpreter:shoes:compile
  - rake installer

Look at this snapshot:
Try out shoes-0.r1777.exe

Although there are many restrictions,
- comment out two lines (require 'shoes/cache' and require
'shoes/shybuilder') in lib/shoes.rb
- can't build Shoes with video support
- update no dependencies
- doesn't work `shoes -p` command
- doesn't work some sample apps (class-book, good-arc, expert-funnies, ...)
- can't build Ruby completely because not use the latest
oneclick/rubyinstaller recipies

Well, what would we do to release Shoes 3.1?
We need a baseline.

Peter Fitzgibbons
2012-02-26 @ 20:24
Ash,
Firstly you are a shoes master!  Wow I'm impressed with  how far you've
made it on Windows install.

To the group at large... Oy this is such a huge undertaking.   As untimely
as this suggestion comes... would it just be easier to complete BrownShoes
and allow the HUGE Java community to keep drivers and glue up-to-date on
new OS revisions?

Just a thought.

Peter Fitzgibbons
(847) 859-9550
Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 12:42 AM, ashbb <ashbbb@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I got to build Red Shoes for Windows with Ruby 1.9.3p125 on my Windows 7.
> The procedure I did is:
> - Add a small commit to ashbb/rubyinstaller
> - Create c:\shoes_dev directory according to ashbb/shoes_hack_note #019
>   Download ruby-1.9.3-p125.tar.bz2 from ruby-lang.org into
> c:\shoes_dev/downloads
>   https://github.com/ashbb/shoes_hack_note/blob/master/md/hack019.md
> - Clone shoes/shoes/develop branch
>   Replace rake/make files and some source files
> https://github.com/ashbb/shoes/commit/7cc7500c6db4c20cf8dd1474d8a9c349285de9dc
> - Build Shoes without Video support and package Shoes with the following
> command
>   - rake interpreter:shoes:compile
>   - rake installer
> Look at this snapshot:
> http://vgoff.posterous.com/a-trial-of-building-red-shoes-for-windows-wit
> Try out shoes-0.r1777.exe
> Although there are many restrictions,
> - comment out two lines (require 'shoes/cache' and require
> 'shoes/shybuilder') in lib/shoes.rb
> - can't build Shoes with video support
> - update no dependencies
> - doesn't work `shoes -p` command
> - doesn't work some sample apps (class-book, good-arc, expert-funnies, ...)
> - can't build Ruby completely because not use the latest
> oneclick/rubyinstaller recipies
> Well, what would we do to release Shoes 3.1?
> We need a baseline.
> ashbb

Steve Klabnik
2012-02-26 @ 21:05
> To the group at large... Oy this is such a huge undertaking.   As untimely
> as this suggestion comes... would it just be easier to complete BrownShoes
> and allow the HUGE Java community to keep drivers and glue up-to-date on new
> OS revisions?

I'm in-transit, so I'll keep this short, and I want to answer ash more fully.

1) brown shoes is a non-starter replacement for red without a
packager. Both for hackety, and because it's the big feature.
Otherwise, I'd already be using green. ;)

2) giving up native widgets is really, really unfortunate. I might
consider it if Brown was fully ready to replace red on the
compatibility front.

Peter Fitzgibbons
2012-02-27 @ 02:06
On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 3:05 PM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:

> > To the group at large... Oy this is such a huge undertaking.   As
> untimely
> > as this suggestion comes... would it just be easier to complete
> BrownShoes
> > and allow the HUGE Java community to keep drivers and glue up-to-date on
> new
> > OS revisions?
> I'm in-transit, so I'll keep this short, and I want to answer ash more
> fully.
> 1) brown shoes is a non-starter replacement for red without a
> packager. Both for hackety, and because it's the big feature.
> Otherwise, I'd already be using green. ;)

I can take this as my next task for Brown Shoes... as I have a

> > and allow the HUGE Java community to keep drivers and glue up-to-date on
> new
> > OS revisions?
> I'm in-transit, so I'll keep this short, and I want to answer ash more
> fully.
> 1) brown shoes is a non-starter replacement for red without a
> packager. Both for hackety, and because it's the big feature.
> Otherwise, I'd already be using green. ;)

I can take this as my next task for Brown Shoes... as I have a
*rudimentary* implementation running.

Out of curiosity, what would this entail? Packaging up java and JRuby both?
Would you use the, what is it, java web start?

2) giving up native widgets is really, really unfortunate. I might
> consider it if Brown was fully ready to replace red on the
> compatibility front.

I'm not sure where you are on this front.   Both SWT and Swing provide
native-widget modes for rendering, and on OSX I've seen only native widgets
from the get-go.  Maybe Ash can send us a screen-shot of his BrownShoes
test-run.

Thoughts?

Peter Fitzgibbons
2012-02-27 @ 13:49
On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 8:44 PM, Eric Watson <wasnotrice@gmail.com> wrote:

>  1) brown shoes is a non-starter replacement for red without a
>> packager. Both for hackety, and because it's the big feature.
>> Otherwise, I'd already be using green. ;)
> I can take this as my next task for Brown Shoes... as I have a
> *rudimentary* implementation running.
>> Out of curiosity, what would this entail? Packaging up java and JRuby
> both? Would you use the, what is it, java web start?

Well, could go one of two ways, pure-Java or java-web-start.   JRuby is in
its end a collection of JARs, so embedding it is easy.  (See Warbler gem
for technical details).
If I am correct, packaging a pure-java lib as a java-web-start is not a
problem (as long as the content of the app is supportable as a JWS.  Not
sure how well Shoes fits that requirement).

Regards,

Peter Fitzgibbons
(847) 859-9550
Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com

2012-02-27 @ 13:42
Hi Peter,

> I can take this as my next task for Brown Shoes
Wow, does this mean that you run hackety hack on Brown Shoes instead of Red
Shoes?

> Maybe Ash can send us a screen-shot of his BrownShoes test-run.
Okay, what screen-shot do you want?
This is a screen-shot of brown_shoes/samples/simple-sound.rb on my Windows
7: http://www.rin-shun.com/tmp/brown_shoes_simple-sound.png
Do you want me to send another one?

Peter Fitzgibbons
2012-02-27 @ 13:46
> Maybe Ash can send us a screen-shot of his BrownShoes test-run.
Okay, what screen-shot do you want?
This is a screen-shot of brown_shoes/samples/simple-
> sound.rb on my Windows 7:
> http://www.rin-shun.com/tmp/brown_shoes_simple-sound.png
> Do you want me to send another one?

That works.  Steve might suggest a different sample... though not all of
them work! (*cough*.. err about 2 of them work ;)

Peter Fitzgibbons

> I got to build Red Shoes for Windows with Ruby 1.9.3p125 on my Windows
> 7.
Wonderful.
> - Build Shoes without Video support and package Shoes with the
>   - rake interpreter:shoes:compile
>   - rake installer
That's a lot of c code changes for casts and ROUNDS. I must be confused
about versions.

> Although there are many restrictions,
> - comment out two lines (require 'shoes/cache' and require
> 'shoes/shybuilder') in lib/shoes.rb
Yes. This happens on the cross compiled version as well. Something is
happening in shoes/cache that MingW rubies don't like. It may be the
cause of all the other problems since it changes CONFIG[x]

> Well, what would we do to release Shoes 3.1?
> We need a baseline.

Steve Klabnik
2012-02-27 @ 14:31
Ash, first of all, fantastic work! Chuck and I put in hours and hours
and hours trying to get this work, and you take a crack at it, and
it's just that easy...

- can't build Shoes with video support

Video was removed: 5271cb6af

- doesn't work some sample apps (class-book, good-arc, expert-funnies, ...)

Uh oh!

- can't build Ruby completely because not use the latest
oneclick/rubyinstaller recipies

Ahhhh yeah, that's what Chuck and I were working on. Luis, the
rubyinstaller maintainer, basically says we need to make that work. I
wonder if, with your source modifications, it would work with the new
rubyinstaller...

> Well, what would we do to release Shoes 3.1?
> We need a baseline.

Frankly, bugfixes and updating the Ruby version would be good enough,
IMHO. The next task I'd like to really take on after that is updating
the dependencies. And hpricot -> Nokogiri. But really, moving off of
the terrible Ruby 1.9.1 is a pretty huge feature.

2012-02-28 @ 13:12
Hi Steve,

> Luis basically says we need to make that work.
That's true. I totally agree.
I think that you and Chuck have been working on the right track.
My code is just a monkey patch. It works for now. But I don't know why it
works. :-P

> Frankly, bugfixes and updating the Ruby version would be good
> enough, IMHO.
Okay.
Well, how about the following as Shoes 3.1 baseline?

- include Ruby 1.9.3p125
- use old rubyinstaller and old dependencies
- no video support
- make all shoes/samples available
 (it's okay to edit the code a little bit, if necessary)

IMHO, we still need to work hard to replace the old rubyinstaller with the
latest oneclick installer.

Steve Klabnik
2012-02-28 @ 13:31
> Well, how about the following as Shoes 3.1 baseline?

I think that's a great baseline.

2012-02-28 @ 14:13
Hi Steve and folks,

> I think that's a great baseline.
Okay, I'm going to debug a little bit more.

BTW, Cecil found the problem with shoes/cache.rb and shoes/shybuilder!
The utf16_le error is thrown from requiring 'tmpdir'.

Thanks to Cecil's work, I could write a patch:

Now Red Shoes-0.r1778 can package your app to .shy or .exe file just like
Shoes 3. :)

Cecil Coupe
2012-02-29 @ 02:10
More accurately the error is thrown from the Ruby Etc.systmpdir method
and a quick look at the C code shoes reveals that for Windows, it uses
filesystem encoding (utf16le presumably). It's going to bite any Windows
ruby program.

IMHO, the better fix would be to edit/create a different tmpdir.rb
because 1) Shoes has it's own Ruby embedded. 2) require tmpdir is used
in a lot of places so commenting them out is more work and less fragile
if a newer Ruby finally fixes the bug.

If you believe that UTF_16LE should be convertible to ASCII-8BIT then
you have find out why Windows Ruby doesn't call the Encoders properly.
That is the real bug to find and fix and will bite anyone using more
exotic encodings.

On Tue, 2012-02-28 at 23:13 +0900, ashbb wrote:
> Hi Steve and folks,
> > I think that's a great baseline.
> Okay, I'm going to debug a little bit more.
> BTW, Cecil found the problem with shoes/cache.rb and shoes/shybuilder!
> The utf16_le error is thrown from requiring 'tmpdir'.
> Thanks to Cecil's work, I could write a patch:
> https://github.com/ashbb/shoes/commit/3e0ab5c54018efe0bd23aeb1247511e584158839
> Now Red Shoes-0.r1778 can package your app to .shy or .exe file just
> like Shoes 3. :)
> ashbb

2012-03-03 @ 03:14
Hi Cecil,

Thank you for the detail. I think you are right and I totally agree.
But one question.
Why is there no problem to do `gem install` on console, but a code
converting problem to do `shoes -g install`? Both uses Ruby 1.9.3p125.

Because I'm using old rubyinstaller recipes and old dependencies?

Cecil Coupe
2012-03-03 @ 05:25
Hi ashbb

On Sat, 2012-03-03 at 12:14 +0900, ashbb wrote:
> Hi Cecil,
> Thank you for the detail. I think you are right and I totally agree.
> But one question.
> Why is there no problem to do `gem install` on console, but a code
> converting problem to do `shoes -g install`? Both uses Ruby 1.9.3p125.

Thanks for reporting that discrepancy. It might be helpful. Shoes gem
handling requires tmpdir so that may be part of the problem if you
didn't comment out the requires.

> Because I'm using old rubyinstaller recipes and old dependencies?

The only dependency I _suspect_ is libiconv.  It has a confusing two
stage build process but it's not clear if 1.9.x actually uses it unless
maybe iconv.rb loads the .so/.dll

Since I'm not using the rubyinstaller recipes for cross compiling I
can't say. One thing you can try from the Windows console is irb:

irb(main):001:0> Encoding.list

On native linux and also in Linux shoes, that is a long list. In
Shows/Windows it is a short list. What does Windows irb say? Can you
require 'tmpdir' at the console. That might tell us something.

There is another vector to explore. There might not be a viable
conversion from from UTF-16LE to ASCII-8BIT or US-ASCII. It is clear
that Windows file paths are returned in UTF-16LE by Ruby/Mingw systmpdir
in etc.c and I've read that it can't be converted to US-ASCII via
ASCII-8Bit or even into UTF-8 by the *default encoder chains*. IF THAT
IS TRUE, then Red Shoes has to provide its own encoder (which might not
be that hard since it appears there is some Ruby level love for
subsituting alternate characters (I'm guess the CP1251/2 characters)

Before I go there, I want to understand why MingW Ruby's don't don't
list all the encodings available. Without that, new converters won't
work.

--Cecil

2012-03-04 @ 08:28
Hi Cecil and folks,

Thank you so much, Cecil.
Now I understand the encoding problem.

My local build had compiled the encoding libraries correctly, but they were
not able to load before the start of Shoes.

I'm not sure why they are not loaded. But I know that `Dir['something']`
fails with the encoding error. So, I guess that is a reason.

Therefore, I wrote a new patch:

Shoes-0.r1781.exe is here: http://www.rin-shun.com/shoes/shoes-0.r1781.exe

Now, Shoes-0.r1781 can load all encoding libraries at the beginning.
Try out this snippet:

Shoes.app{para Encoding.list}

You can see many lists on Red Shoes window. :)

Cecil Coupe
2012-03-05 @ 02:26
Ashbb!

Brilliant! Wonderful! Your r1781.exe works on my XP2 VM. I also like
your solutions elegance.  If and when MinGW compiled Rubyies load
encodings properly, then your solution just takes a # to disable. It
cleans up the Shoes.rb file. This needs to be tested with Linux and OSX
changes to their tasks.rb.

For my cross-compiled Shoes, there is a problem but I'm pretty sure
its my problem (I might have copied the encodings.rb incorrectly)

On Sun, 2012-03-04 at 17:28 +0900, ashbb wrote:
> Hi Cecil and folks,
> Thank you so much, Cecil.
> Now I understand the encoding problem.
> My local build had compiled the encoding libraries correctly, but they
> were not able to load before the start of Shoes.
> I'm not sure why they are not loaded. But I know that
> `Dir['something']` fails with the encoding error. So, I guess that is
> a reason.
> Therefore, I wrote a new patch:
> Shoes-0.r1781.exe is here:
> http://www.rin-shun.com/shoes/shoes-0.r1781.exe
> Now, Shoes-0.r1781 can load all encoding libraries at the beginning.
> Try out this snippet:
>   Shoes.app{para Encoding.list}
> You can see many lists on Red Shoes window. :)
> ashbb

jirapong.nanta@gmail.com
2012-03-09 @ 03:03
Hi all,
	I got 1781 installed on my Win7 (64bit) and XP successfully. It is very
stable. Thank you very much.

There is one issue when i start to roll-out my software to my customer
which have antivirus; Symantec, AntiVir. that seems to cause Malware
detect.

Here is the screenshot - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6272985/antivir_virus.png

Shoes on!
-Jirapong

On Mar 5, 2012, at 9:26 AM, Cecil Coupe wrote:

> Ashbb!
>   Brilliant! Wonderful! Your r1781.exe works on my XP2 VM. I also like
> your solutions elegance.  If and when MinGW compiled Rubyies load
> encodings properly, then your solution just takes a # to disable. It
> cleans up the Shoes.rb file. This needs to be tested with Linux and OSX
> changes to their tasks.rb.
>  For my cross-compiled Shoes, there is a problem but I'm pretty sure
> its my problem (I might have copied the encodings.rb incorrectly)
> On Sun, 2012-03-04 at 17:28 +0900, ashbb wrote:
>> Hi Cecil and folks,
>> Thank you so much, Cecil.
>> Now I understand the encoding problem.
>> My local build had compiled the encoding libraries correctly, but they
>> were not able to load before the start of Shoes.
>> I'm not sure why they are not loaded. But I know that
>> `Dir['something']` fails with the encoding error. So, I guess that is
>> a reason.
>> Therefore, I wrote a new patch:
>> https://github.com/ashbb/shoes/commit/fe3c1db65c4344be0d1b57a80a9e9e562a5deb98
>> Shoes-0.r1781.exe is here:
>> http://www.rin-shun.com/shoes/shoes-0.r1781.exe
>> Now, Shoes-0.r1781 can load all encoding libraries at the beginning.
>> Try out this snippet:
>>  Shoes.app{para Encoding.list}
>> You can see many lists on Red Shoes window. :)
>> ashbb

Tobias Pfeiffer
2012-03-09 @ 09:43
On 09.03.2012 04:03, jirapong.nanta@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
> 	I got 1781 installed on my Win7 (64bit) and XP successfully. It is very
stable. Thank you very much.
> 	There is one issue when i start to roll-out my software to my customer
which have antivirus; Symantec, AntiVir. that seems to cause Malware
detect.
> Here is the screenshot -http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6272985/antivir_virus.png
> Shoes on!
> -Jirapong
Hi,

we were already talking about this - I submitted the file yesterday to
AntiVir. They acknowledged that it is a false positive and will remove
it from their virus definition file in the future. See the mail at the
end of my mail ;-)

Cheers,
Tobi

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Avira Lab Response - Tracking number 1023552
Date: 	Fri, 9 Mar 2012 07:24:55 +0100
From: 	Avira Virus Lab Response Team <noreply@avira.com>
To: 	Pfeiffer.Tobias@web.de

(...)
File ID 	Filename 	Size (Byte) 	Result
26641767 	shoes_0.r1782.exe 	6.68 MB 	OK

A listing of files contained inside archives alongside their results can
be found below:
(shortened)

26642849 	zlib1.dll 	73.5 KB 	CLEAN
26642827 	shoes.exe 	54.63 KB 	FALSE POSITIVE
16186262
	14.5 KB 	KNOWN CLEAN
16186345
	7.5 KB 	KNOWN CLEAN

(...)

Please note: If you have specific questions please address them to
support@avira.com

Headquarter: Tettnang
Commercial register: AG Ulm HRB 630992
---------------------------------------------

Jirapong Nanta
2012-03-09 @ 10:02
Hi Tobi,
   Thank you. That's a good news.

Best,
-Jirapong

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Tobias Pfeiffer <
tobias.pfeiffer@student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:

>  On 09.03.2012 04:03, jirapong.nanta@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
> 	I got 1781 installed on my Win7 (64bit) and XP successfully. It is very
stable. Thank you very much.
> 	There is one issue when i start to roll-out my software to my customer
which have antivirus; Symantec, AntiVir. that seems to cause Malware
detect.
> Here is the screenshot - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6272985/antivir_virus.png
> Shoes on!
> -Jirapong
>  Hi,
> we were already talking about this - I submitted the file yesterday to
> AntiVir. They acknowledged that it is a false positive and will remove it
> from their virus definition file in the future. See the mail at the end of
> my mail ;-)
> Cheers,
> Tobi
> -------- Original Message --------  Subject: Avira Lab Response -
> Tracking number 1023552  Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 07:24:55 +0100  From: Avira
> Virus Lab Response Team <noreply@avira.com> <noreply@avira.com>  To:
> Pfeiffer.Tobias@web.de
> (...)  File ID Filename Size (Byte) Result  26641767 shoes_0.r1782.exe 6.68
> MB OK
> A listing of files contained inside archives alongside their results can
> be found below:
> (shortened)
>   26642849 zlib1.dll 73.5 KB CLEAN  26642827 shoes.exe 54.63 KB FALSE
> POSITIVE  16186262
>  14.5 KB KNOWN CLEAN  16186345
>  7.5 KB KNOWN CLEAN
> (...)
> Please note: If you have specific questions please address them to
> support@avira.com
> ---------------------------------------------

Steve Klabnik
2012-03-09 @ 14:20
Awesome!

2012-03-10 @ 17:12
Hi all,

Thanks to Tobi's work, I can upload shoes-0.r1783.exe again. :)

James Gifford
2012-03-05 @ 16:31
Works wonderfully here on my Windows 8 (Made the mistake of upgrading
from 7, but at least we know shoes works!)

I think we're about ready for the windows build, thanks to ashbb's work. :)