librelist archives

« back to archive

[brown_shoes] SOUND! commit

[brown_shoes] SOUND! commit

From:
Peter Fitzgibbons
Date:
2012-02-15 @ 16:38
HI Folks,
Here are the recent commits for BrownShoes.
Changes :

   - SOUND!  .wav, .aiff, .au, .mp3, .ogg support.  See
   ./samples/simple-sound.rb for an example.  The playback is threaded, so you
   can layer the individual sounds too!
   - Framework fixes for ::App, ::Flow, ::Button.  I'm not convinced this
   is stable yet.  I think Canvas-Drawing and Stack will clarify a lot of
   lingering questions on the frameworks.

commit 0a1729cbcbb4b8037a1fd3a1377521a59c313dd4
Author: pfitzgibbons <peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com>
Date:   Wed Feb 15 09:59:33 2012 -0600

    Soundfiles for samples

commit 59fc9211fa8a1a6f42f16f282497d907cb42c890
Author: pfitzgibbons <peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com>
Date:   Wed Feb 15 09:59:03 2012 -0600

    SOUND  See ./samples/simple-sound.rb

commit 847f85c5ed15686a42c07d49e01d85f8bc2ec71c
Author: pfitzgibbons <peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com>
Date:   Wed Feb 15 09:57:45 2012 -0600

    Corrected many design issues with Framework.  ::App, ::Flow, ::Button
now work in both SwtShoes and SwingShoes.
    ./samples/simple_sound.rb demonstrates proper Flow and Button


Shoes On!
Peter Fitzgibbons
(847) 859-9550
Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com

Re: [shoes] [brown_shoes] SOUND! commit

From:
ashbb
Date:
2012-02-16 @ 12:59
Hi Peter,

Wow, Brown Shoes supports audio formats. Awesome!

I browsed a little bit around in the brown_shoes repo on github and had two
questions.

1st:
Does SwtShoes support audio formats, too?
Does the brown_shoes/samples/simple-sound.rb work with SwtShoes?

2nd:
In Red and Green Shoes, the method that supports audio formats is named
`video`. Is your `sound` method same as `video`? Or another new method?

ashbb

Re: [shoes] [brown_shoes] SOUND! commit

From:
Peter Fitzgibbons
Date:
2012-02-16 @ 15:34
HI Ash,

1. The sound support is actually GUI-agnostic.  Works unchanged in both
Swing and Swt.  You'll notice that Shoes::Sound does not actually need a
framework.

2. #sound is a new method.  There will be significant overlap between
Shoes::Sound methods and Shoes::Video methods.  I logged an issue in
BrownShoes::Issues <https://github.com/shoes/brown_shoes/issues> for a GUI
Widget for sound.

Thanks for looking at the code.
Please oh please ask more questions!  They are my guidance to documentation
and implementation.

Peter Fitzgibbons
(847) 859-9550
Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com


On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 6:59 AM, ashbb <ashbbb@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> Wow, Brown Shoes supports audio formats. Awesome!
>
> I browsed a little bit around in the brown_shoes repo on github and had
> two questions.
>
> 1st:
> Does SwtShoes support audio formats, too?
> Does the brown_shoes/samples/simple-sound.rb work with SwtShoes?
>
> 2nd:
> In Red and Green Shoes, the method that supports audio formats is named
> `video`. Is your `sound` method same as `video`? Or another new method?
>
> ashbb
>
>

Re: [shoes] [brown_shoes] SOUND! commit

From:
ashbb
Date:
2012-02-17 @ 12:38
Hi Peter,

I've not found the time yet to run the latest Brown Shoes on my Window 7.
But have one more question. :-P

I'm developing Purple Shoes. It requires just only JRuby and SWT for now.
So, the question is:

- Can I run your Shoes::Sound without installing any other gems or java
stuff?
  If I have to install something, please let me know.

Regards,
ashbb

Re: [shoes] [brown_shoes] SOUND! commit

From:
Peter Fitzgibbons
Date:
2012-02-17 @ 13:10
HI Ash,


- Can I run your Shoes::Sound without installing any other gems or java
stuff?
  If I have to install something, please let me know.

Sound is using the base-Java SourceDataLine/AudioSystem libraries, which
are GUI-free.
I think you should be able to cargo-cult the Shoes::Sound directly and use
to your own will.

Shoes FTW!

Peter Fitzgibbons
(847) 859-9550
Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com


On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 6:38 AM, ashbb <ashbbb@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> I've not found the time yet to run the latest Brown Shoes on my Window 7.
> But have one more question. :-P
>
> I'm developing Purple Shoes. It requires just only JRuby and SWT for now.
> So, the question is:
>
> - Can I run your Shoes::Sound without installing any other gems or java
> stuff?
>   If I have to install something, please let me know.
>
> Regards,
> ashbb
>
>

Re: [shoes] [brown_shoes] SOUND! commit

From:
ashbb
Date:
2012-02-19 @ 15:38
Hi Peter,

I did the following and could listen 4 sounds (Boing WAV, Fog Horn AIFF,
Explosion MP3, Shields UP! OGG) perfectly on my Windows 7. Awesome!!

- C:\tmp> git clone git://github.com/shoes/brown_shoes.git
- C:\tmp> cd brown_shoes
- C:\tmp\brown_shoes>.\swt-shoooes.bat samples\simple-sound.rb

Great work!
ashbb

Re: [shoes] [brown_shoes] SOUND! commit

From:
ashbb
Date:
2012-02-21 @ 12:59
Hi Peter,

I stole your code (and .jars and sound files) from Brown Shoes and merged
it to Purple Shoes.


https://github.com/ashbb/purple_shoes/commit/e14a4e5f8d4fabaad316072f7517f04327ec7097

Your code works very well in Purple Shoes, too. Awesome! :-D

ashbb

Re: [shoes] [brown_shoes] SOUND! commit

From:
Peter Fitzgibbons
Date:
2012-02-21 @ 15:09
Fantastic!
Peter Fitzgibbons
(847) 859-9550
Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com


On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 6:59 AM, ashbb <ashbbb@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> I stole your code (and .jars and sound files) from Brown Shoes and merged
> it to Purple Shoes.
>
>
> 
https://github.com/ashbb/purple_shoes/commit/e14a4e5f8d4fabaad316072f7517f04327ec7097
>
> Your code works very well in Purple Shoes, too. Awesome! :-D
>
> ashbb
>