Shoes and sound

Shoes and sound

Tobias Pfeiffer
2012-02-12 @ 18:49
Hey folks,

as part of the pomodoro tracker I'm trying to build with shoes right now
I'd like to play sound, for now just a "RRRRRIIIIIINNNNNGGGGG" when a
pomodoro is over.

What's the best way to do this in red/green shoes for now?
I know that we got the inbuild video in shoes playing mp3s which would
be good, but I can remember a discussion mentioning dropping support for
it or something like that, or am I wrong? Does green shoes support this?
I know of gsWax, this is done with green shoes as one would have to
build "your own pair of shoes" with gstreamer for red shoes support or
am I kind of confused?

Thanks for the help in advance,
Tobi

James Gifford
2012-02-14 @ 14:28
On 02/12/2012 01:49 PM, Tobias Pfeiffer wrote:
> Hey folks,
> as part of the pomodoro tracker I'm trying to build with shoes right now
> I'd like to play sound, for now just a "RRRRRIIIIIINNNNNGGGGG" when a
> pomodoro is over.
> What's the best way to do this in red/green shoes for now?
> I know that we got the inbuild video in shoes playing mp3s which would
> be good, but I can remember a discussion mentioning dropping support for
> it or something like that, or am I wrong? Does green shoes support this?
> I know of gsWax, this is done with green shoes as one would have to
> build "your own pair of shoes" with gstreamer for red shoes support or
> am I kind of confused?

I think you need to build your own pair of red shoes with gstreamer for
this to work - and I think the discussion you saw was related to what
was going on with the windows builds(I think)

> Thanks for the help in advance,

Always glad to help. :D

> Tobi

2012-02-13 @ 11:36
Hi Tobi,

> as part of the pomodoro tracker I'm trying to build with shoes right
> now. I'd like to play sound, for now just a "RRRRRIIIIIINNNNNGGGGG"
> when a pomodoro is over.
Fantastic!

> What's the best way to do this in red/green shoes for now?
> ......
> Does green shoes support this?
In Green Shoes, I've confirmed to play sounds with gstreamer and
bloopsaphone on my Windows 7.

Green Shoes includes lib/ext/bloops/bloops.so for Windows. So, you can use
bloopsaphone without doing anything. But on other platform, you need to
install bloopsaphone gem.

2012-02-14 @ 12:27
Hi Tobi,

> as part of the pomodoro tracker I'm trying to build with shoes right now.

Fantastic!

> What's the best way to do this in red/green shoes for now?
> (snip)
> Does green shoes support this?

In Green Shoes, I've confirmed to play sounds with gstreamer and
bloopsaphone on my Windows 7.

Green Shoes includes lib/ext/bloops/bloops.so for Windows. So, you can use
bloopsaphone without doing anything. But on other platform, you need to
install bloopsaphone gem.

2012-02-14 @ 12:04
Hi Tobi,

> as part of the pomodoro tracker I'm trying to build with shoes right
> now. I'd like to play sound, for now just a "RRRRRIIIIIINNNNNGGGGG"
> when a pomodoro is over.
Fantastic!

> What's the best way to do this in red/green shoes for now?
> ......
> Does green shoes support this?
In Green Shoes, I've confirmed to play sounds with gstreamer and
bloopsaphone on my Windows 7.

Green Shoes includes lib/ext/bloops/bloops.so for Windows. So, you can use
bloopsaphone without doing anything. But on other platform, you need to
install bloopsaphone gem.

J. Kaiden
2012-02-13 @ 15:15
> as part of the pomodoro tracker I'm trying to build with shoes right now
> I'd like to play sound, for now just a "RRRRRIIIIIINNNNNGGGGG" when a
> pomodoro is over.

hi Tobias,

well, i think bloopsaphone is *supposed* to work for playing sounds - but
i can't seem to do anything with it -

this:

require 'bloops'
b = Bloops.new

...throws this error:

bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)

...don't know what that's about - anyone else?  @ashbb, googling i found
an old pong app that you wrote that used bloopsaphone - any advice on how
to use it?

I know of gsWax, this is done with green shoes as one would have to
> build "your own pair of shoes" with gstreamer for red shoes support or
> am I kind of confused?

if you use green-shoes, you can just require 'gst' and use gstreamer.  to
use gstreamer with red-shoes you do have to roll your own.  not sure if
it'll work, but you could try building this:
https://github.com/lljk/shoes_gst - it's a version of red-shoes with
gstreamer support.  i think it should work if you clone it and then follow
the build instructions for your platform -
https://github.com/shoes/shoes/wiki/Building-Shoes .  works for me anyway -
hope it does for you!

here's a link to some info about using ruby-gstreamer -

Shoes On...

- j

Steve Klabnik
2012-02-14 @ 20:02
I've pulled bloops out of the develop branch. It's basically
unmaintained and undocumented. We need a better solution than it.

2012-02-15 @ 11:58
Hi J and folks,

I've confirmed that bloopsaphone works with Green Shoes on my Windows 7.
If you have a Windows pc, try out sample33.

On other platforms (Linux and OSX), you have to install bloopsaphone gem by
yourself.

Green Shoes have some sample songs written in bloopsaphone:
green_shoes/lib/ext/bloops/songs

Tobias Pfeiffer
2012-02-15 @ 12:22
On 02/15/2012 12:58 PM, ashbb wrote:
> Hi J and folks,
> I've confirmed that bloopsaphone works with Green Shoes on my Windows 7.
> If you have a Windows pc, try out sample33.
> http://ashbb.github.com/green_shoes/snapshots/sample33.png
> On other platforms (Linux and OSX), you have to install bloopsaphone
> gem by yourself.
> Green Shoes have some sample songs written in bloopsaphone:
> green_shoes/lib/ext/bloops/songs
> ashbb
Hi, thanks for all your answers!

The bloopasphone gem doesn't seem to work for me - when I start sample
33 and then click one of the songs I get this error:

Seems to be an error on their side, will look for the project and create
a bug report.

Shoes on!
Tobi

Tobias Pfeiffer
2012-02-15 @ 12:33
On 02/15/2012 01:22 PM, Pfeiffer, Tobias wrote:
> On 02/15/2012 12:58 PM, ashbb wrote:
>> Hi J and folks,
>> I've confirmed that bloopsaphone works with Green Shoes on my Windows 7.
>> If you have a Windows pc, try out sample33.
>> http://ashbb.github.com/green_shoes/snapshots/sample33.png
>> On other platforms (Linux and OSX), you have to install bloopsaphone
>> gem by yourself.
>> Green Shoes have some sample songs written in bloopsaphone:
>> green_shoes/lib/ext/bloops/songs
>> ashbb
> Hi, thanks for all your answers!
> The bloopasphone gem doesn't seem to work for me - when I start sample
> 33 and then click one of the songs I get this error:
> https://gist.github.com/1835334
> Seems to be an error on their side, will look for the project and create
> a bug report.
> Shoes on!
> Tobi
Hey guys,

sorry for spamming this ML so much.

Maybe I was wrong and it's not an error on the bloopsaphone end of
thing, looking at the crash log again it seems like green shoes tries to
use the inbuild windows file no matter that bloopsaphone is installed:

/home/tobi/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p0@greenS/gems/green_shoes-1.1.354/lib/ext/bloops.rb:1:in

`require_relative':

/home/tobi/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p0@greenS/gems/green_shoes-1.1.354/lib/ext/bloops/bloops.so:

invalid ELF header -

At least it seems like I can play the bloopsaphone theme song from the
github page on my ruby installation.

Tobi

2012-02-15 @ 12:47
Hi Tobi,

> At least it seems like I can play the bloopsaphone theme song from the
> github page on my ruby installation.
Wow, good news!

> it seems like green shoes tries to use the inbuild windows file no matter
> that bloopsaphone is installed
That's right. hahaha. :-P

So, try to replace your green_shoes/lib/ext/bloops.rb by the following code.

# bloops.rb
begin
  require 'bloops'
rescue LoadError
  require_relative 'bloops/bloops'
end

Tobias Pfeiffer
2012-02-17 @ 00:48
Works!

Awesome thanks! Shall I make a pull request or will you commit it? :-)

Tobi

On 02/15/2012 01:47 PM, ashbb wrote:
> Hi Tobi,
> > At least it seems like I can play the bloopsaphone theme song from the
> > github page on my ruby installation.
> Wow, good news!
> > it seems like green shoes tries to use the inbuild windows file no
> matter
> > that bloopsaphone is installed
> That's right. hahaha. :-P
> So, try to replace your green_shoes/lib/ext/bloops.rb by the following
> code.
> # bloops.rb
> begin
>   require 'bloops'
> rescue LoadError
>   require_relative 'bloops/bloops'
> end
> ashbb

2012-02-17 @ 12:30
Hi Tobi,

Thank you for the confirmation of the quick patch.
Glad to hear that it works!

> Shall I make a pull request...
Yes, please!
After I get your pull request, I'll merge it asap. ;-)

Cheers,

Tobias Pfeiffer
2012-02-15 @ 12:25
Ok last commit > 2 years ago and no issue tracing enabled :-(

On 02/15/2012 01:22 PM, Pfeiffer, Tobias wrote:
> On 02/15/2012 12:58 PM, ashbb wrote:
>> Hi J and folks,
>> I've confirmed that bloopsaphone works with Green Shoes on my Windows 7.
>> If you have a Windows pc, try out sample33.
>> http://ashbb.github.com/green_shoes/snapshots/sample33.png
>> On other platforms (Linux and OSX), you have to install bloopsaphone
>> gem by yourself.
>> Green Shoes have some sample songs written in bloopsaphone:
>> green_shoes/lib/ext/bloops/songs
>> ashbb
> Hi, thanks for all your answers!
> The bloopasphone gem doesn't seem to work for me - when I start sample
> 33 and then click one of the songs I get this error:
> https://gist.github.com/1835334
> Seems to be an error on their side, will look for the project and create
> a bug report.
> Shoes on!
> Tobi

Cecil Coupe
2012-02-14 @ 03:29
On Sun, 2012-02-12 at 19:49 +0100, Tobias Pfeiffer wrote:
> What's the best way to do this in red/green shoes for now?
> I know that we got the inbuild video in shoes playing mp3s which would
> be good, but I can remember a discussion mentioning dropping support for
> it or something like that, or am I wrong? Does green shoes support this?
> I know of gsWax, this is done with green shoes as one would have to
> build "your own pair of shoes" with gstreamer for red shoes support or
> am I kind of confused?

No, you're about right on the state of sound (or video). Red Shoes does
come with portaudio as a dependency (why? I don't know) There is a Ruby
binding, https://github.com/jvoorhis/ruby-portaudio. It would make sense
to use it in Shoes (or not require the library). If it were me, I'd test
it with Green Shoes first to see if it works there before try to squeeze
it into Red Shoes.

--Cecil

Steve Klabnik
2012-02-14 @ 21:03
> No, you're about right on the state of sound (or video). Red Shoes does
> come with portaudio as a dependency (why? I don't know)

Wasn't it a dep of VLC?

James Gifford
2012-02-14 @ 21:59
On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com> wrote:
>> No, you're about right on the state of sound (or video). Red Shoes does
>> come with portaudio as a dependency (why? I don't know)
> Wasn't it a dep of VLC?

Oh, I didn't know VLC was no longer needed for shoes, I'll go remove
that from the Linux build page. :P

Cecil Coupe
2012-02-15 @ 05:26
On Tue, 2012-02-14 at 16:03 -0500, Steve Klabnik wrote:
> > No, you're about right on the state of sound (or video). Red Shoes does
> > come with portaudio as a dependency (why? I don't know)
> Wasn't it a dep of VLC?

Not likely. VLC was loaded outside of the Shoes Sandbox whatever shared
vlc lib that could be found in the /system path.

Whilst cross compiling today, I did see a link step that wanted
portaudio (wasn't bloops or vlc) but I had other fish to catch and fry
so I didn't track it down.

Tobias Pfeiffer
2012-02-15 @ 12:28
On 02/15/2012 06:26 AM, Cecil Coupe wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-02-14 at 16:03 -0500, Steve Klabnik wrote:
>>> No, you're about right on the state of sound (or video). Red Shoes does
>>> come with portaudio as a dependency (why? I don't know)
>> Wasn't it a dep of VLC?
> Not likely. VLC was loaded outside of the Shoes Sandbox whatever shared
> vlc lib that could be found in the /system path.
> Whilst cross compiling today, I did see a link step that wanted
> portaudio (wasn't bloops or vlc) but I had other fish to catch and fry
> so I didn't track it down.
I believe I figured out why this is a dependency - the bloopsaphone gem
(mentioned by ashbb) seems to have it as a dependency and the author of
the gem mentions that he wrote it for hacketyhack - implying shoes usage :-)

So if this isn't in red shoes any more maybe it could be removed.

Tobi