librelist archives

« back to archive

Brown Shoes : WhiteShoes, Specs, Framework, Oh My!

Brown Shoes : WhiteShoes, Specs, Framework, Oh My!

From:
Peter Fitzgibbons
Date:
2012-01-16 @ 20:38
Howdy Folks,

Here is an initial commit of the Framework-ized BrownShoes.

commit e6b27a9f253ded5be1539251fd47b5cc795c216f
Author: pfitzgibbons <peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com>
Date:   Mon Jan 16 14:31:21 2012 -0600

    Squashed commit of the following:
        Specs for Shoes::App on WhiteShoes,SwtShoes,SwingShoes
        Split WhiteShoes classes into subdir.  Move ./shoooes* +x into
./{swt,swing}-shoooes*
        Initial Framework Adapter Support : App - blank window

A quick maps of what's in there :
./lib/shoes/framework_adapters => These are now the "GUI" adapters.  Each
Shoes:: class will instantiate it's associated #framework.  This is
switched by Shoes.configuration.framework.
./lib/shoes/framework_adapters/white_shoes.rb  => The White Shoes : This is
the "canonical requirement" for all GUI framework implementations.  (Right
now, only WhiteShoes::Shoes::App is included)
./spec/framework_adapters/ => Associated specs
./spec/framework_adapters/white_shoes/shared_examples => These are the
"White Shoes Specs", which every GUI framework should adhere to.  See
SwingShoes::Shoes::App Spec for an example of usage.

There's a lot to do.  I'm headed into getting Flow and Button into working
state again on each of SwtShoes, SwingShoes, while using WhiteShoes and the
shared_examples to drive the changes a-la BDD

Hooray Shoes!

Peter Fitzgibbons
(847) 859-9550
Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com

Re: [shoes] Brown Shoes : WhiteShoes, Specs, Framework, Oh My!

From:
Eric Watson
Date:
2012-01-17 @ 17:54
Peter,

> Here is an initial commit of the Framework-ized BrownShoes.

May I offer a recommendation of using 'master' as the primary development 
branch, instead of 'develop'? I'm sure you are following the pattern that 
Red Shoes has been using, but that pattern is a bug :)

Alternatively, if you want to keep using 'develop', let's designate that 
as the default branch on github, so it's more discoverable (Admin -> 
Settings -> Default Branch)

Eric	

Re: [shoes] Brown Shoes : WhiteShoes, Specs, Framework, Oh My!

From:
Peter Fitzgibbons
Date:
2012-01-17 @ 17:58
Yep, I discovered that "bug" earlier today.
So, do you recommend that development is on 'master' and releases are other
named branches?

Steve, thoughts?

Peter Fitzgibbons
(847) 859-9550
Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com


On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Eric Watson <wasnotrice@gmail.com> wrote:

> Peter,
>
> > Here is an initial commit of the Framework-ized BrownShoes.
>
> May I offer a recommendation of using 'master' as the primary development
> branch, instead of 'develop'? I'm sure you are following the pattern that
> Red Shoes has been using, but that pattern is a bug :)
>
> Alternatively, if you want to keep using 'develop', let's designate that
> as the default branch on github, so it's more discoverable (Admin ->
> Settings -> Default Branch)
>
> Eric
>
>

Re: [shoes] Brown Shoes : WhiteShoes, Specs, Framework, Oh My!

From:
Eric Watson
Date:
2012-01-17 @ 19:10
> So, do you recommend that development is on 'master' and releases are 
other named branches?

I think rails does a pretty good job at this:

https://github.com/rails/rails

- primary development on master
- named branches for stable release lines, e.g. 2-3-stable, 3-1-stable
- tags for specific releases, e.g. v2.3.0, v2.3.1, v3.1.0, v3.2.0.rc2

Eric

Re: [shoes] Brown Shoes : WhiteShoes, Specs, Framework, Oh My!

From:
Peter Fitzgibbons
Date:
2012-01-17 @ 19:13
I'm ok with that.  Steve?

Peter Fitzgibbons
(847) 859-9550
Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com


On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Eric Watson <wasnotrice@gmail.com> wrote:

> > So, do you recommend that development is on 'master' and releases are
> other named branches?
>
> I think rails does a pretty good job at this:
>
> https://github.com/rails/rails
>
> - primary development on master
> - named branches for stable release lines, e.g. 2-3-stable, 3-1-stable
> - tags for specific releases, e.g. v2.3.0, v2.3.1, v3.1.0, v3.2.0.rc2
>
> Eric
>

Re: [shoes] Brown Shoes : WhiteShoes, Specs, Framework, Oh My!

From:
ashbb
Date:
2012-01-17 @ 12:11
Hi Peter,

> Here is an initial commit of the Framework-ized BrownShoes.
Cool!

BTW, I did the following on my Windows 7,

- Install JRuby and SWT for Windows (
https://github.com/ashbb/brown_shoes/tree/porting_from_green_shoes)

- cd c:\tmp
- git clone git://github.com/shoes/brown_shoes.git
- cd brown_shoes
- git checkout -b remotes/origin/develop
- cd testing
- jruby --1.9 blank-window.rb

and got the following error message:

NameError: uninitialized constant Shoes
  const_missing at org/jruby/RubyModule.java:2590
         (root) at blank-window.rb:1

What shall I do?
Sorry, I'm a newbie of jruby and swt. xx-P

ashbb

Re: [shoes] Brown Shoes : WhiteShoes, Specs, Framework, Oh My!

From:
Peter Fitzgibbons
Date:
2012-01-17 @ 12:36
HI Ash,

>What shall I do?
>Sorry, I'm a newbie of jruby and swt. xx-P
Nah, not a newb.

I have posted an update, please 'git pull'.

Then (from main brown-shoes directory) :
$ ./swt-shoooes testing/blank-window.rb

I've been struggling with the framework architecture.  The latest update
feels better.  I'm moving on to updating Shoes::Button today.
Baby Steps

Peter Fitzgibbons
(847) 859-9550
Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com


On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 6:11 AM, ashbb <ashbbb@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
>
> > Here is an initial commit of the Framework-ized BrownShoes.
> Cool!
>
> BTW, I did the following on my Windows 7,
>
> - Install JRuby and SWT for Windows (
> https://github.com/ashbb/brown_shoes/tree/porting_from_green_shoes)
>
> - cd c:\tmp
> - git clone git://github.com/shoes/brown_shoes.git
> - cd brown_shoes
> - git checkout -b remotes/origin/develop
> - cd testing
> - jruby --1.9 blank-window.rb
>
> and got the following error message:
>
> NameError: uninitialized constant Shoes
>   const_missing at org/jruby/RubyModule.java:2590
>          (root) at blank-window.rb:1
>
> What shall I do?
> Sorry, I'm a newbie of jruby and swt. xx-P
>
> ashbb
>
>

Re: [shoes] Brown Shoes : WhiteShoes, Specs, Framework, Oh My!

From:
ashbb
Date:
2012-01-17 @ 14:17
Hi Peter,

> I've been struggling with the framework architecture.
> The latest update feels better.  I'm moving on to updating
> Shoes::Button today.
Great!!

You know, I'm using Windows 7.
So, at first, I opened MS Windows console window and do the command:

  $ ./swt-shoooes testing/blank-window.rb

but it was not executed. Then I opened Git MinGW32 console window and do
the same. The log is the following:

$ ./swt-shoooes testing/blank-window.rb
/usr/bin/env: jruby --1.9 -J-XstartOnFirstThread: No such file or directory

$ jruby --1.9 -J-XstartOnFirstThread testing/blank-window.rb
Unrecognized option: -XstartOnFirstThread
JVM creation failed

$ jruby --1.9 testing/blank-window.rb
NameError: uninitialized constant Shoes
  const_missing at org/jruby/RubyModule.java:2590
         (root) at testing/blank-window.rb:1

Umm, I think there is something missing...

ashbb

shoe colors

From:
Wayne Brisette
Date:
2012-01-17 @ 14:51
Is there any sort of matrix that discusses the various flavors/colors of shoes? 
I'm thinking a matrix table would be nice. I'd be happy to put one together if 
it doesn't exist, but I have no clue as to all the shoe colors. If people want 
to fill me in, I'll make up a chart. 

Wayne

Re: [shoes] shoe colors

From:
James Gifford
Date:
2012-01-17 @ 14:56
Hello Wayne!

Last I checked, Shoes supported the X11 color names listed here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X11_color_names#Color_name_charts


On 01/17/2012 09:51 AM, Wayne Brisette wrote:
> Is there any sort of matrix that discusses the various flavors/colors of
> shoes? I'm thinking a matrix table would be nice. I'd be happy to put
> one together if it doesn't exist, but I have no clue as to all the shoe
> colors. If people want to fill me in, I'll make up a chart.
>
> Wayne

Re: [shoes] shoe colors

From:
Wayne Brisette
Date:
2012-01-17 @ 15:07
Sorry James, I was talking more about Shoe colors like this: 

Red Shoes (original shoes version)
Brown Shoes (?)
White Shoes (?)
Green Shoes 

that I've seen pop up in discussions recently. Not what colors you can use in 
the language. ;) Sorry, I should have explained that better. 

Wayne

Re: [shoes] shoe colors

From:
James Gifford
Date:
2012-01-17 @ 15:20
Ah, I misunderstood!

Red Shoes - This is the original shoes, made out of Ruby and C.
Brown Shoes - This is shoes, written in jruby.
White Shoes - I don't know, this might be a good question to ask steve 
(ping steve, answer please)
Green Shoes - this is an attempt to write shoes in pure ruby.

:)

On 01/17/2012 10:07 AM, Wayne Brisette wrote:
> Sorry James, I was talking more about Shoe colors like this:
>
> Red Shoes (original shoes version)
> Brown Shoes (?)
> White Shoes (?)
> Green Shoes
>
> that I've seen pop up in discussions recently. Not what colors you can use in
> the language. ;) Sorry, I should have explained that better.
>
> Wayne
>

Re: [shoes] shoe colors

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2012-01-17 @ 17:30
> White Shoes - I don't know, this might be a good question to ask steve
> (ping steve, answer please)

White shoes is like 'shoes spec,' a set of tests that a specific color
of Shoes could use to determine compliance with Red Shoes.

Re: [shoes] shoe colors

From:
James Gifford
Date:
2012-01-18 @ 11:44
>> White Shoes - I don't know, this might be a good question to ask steve
>> (ping steve, answer please)
> 
> White shoes is like 'shoes spec,' a set of tests that a specific color
> of Shoes could use to determine compliance with Red Shoes.

Gotcha, that makes sense. Thanks Steve. 

Wayne, there's your answer! Hope it helps. :)

Re: [shoes] shoe colors

From:
Mark van Harmelen
Date:
2012-01-17 @ 15:08
Good idea to have one of these Wayne
mark

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 2:56 PM, James Gifford <james@jamesrgifford.com>wrote:

> Hello Wayne!
>
> Last I checked, Shoes supported the X11 color names listed here:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X11_color_names#Color_name_charts
>
>
> On 01/17/2012 09:51 AM, Wayne Brisette wrote:
> > Is there any sort of matrix that discusses the various flavors/colors of
> > shoes? I'm thinking a matrix table would be nice. I'd be happy to put
> > one together if it doesn't exist, but I have no clue as to all the shoe
> > colors. If people want to fill me in, I'll make up a chart.
> >
> > Wayne
>

Re: [shoes] Brown Shoes : WhiteShoes, Specs, Framework, Oh My!

From:
Peter Fitzgibbons
Date:
2012-01-17 @ 15:22
Hrm... I realized this morning that we're up against platform-specific
launch codes.

I'll get in touch with the commander-in-chief and make sure all the shoes
rockets are set and ready for launch.

Update forthcoming.

Peter Fitzgibbons
(847) 859-9550
Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com


On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 8:17 AM, ashbb <ashbbb@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
>
> > I've been struggling with the framework architecture.
> > The latest update feels better.  I'm moving on to updating
> > Shoes::Button today.
> Great!!
>
> You know, I'm using Windows 7.
> So, at first, I opened MS Windows console window and do the command:
>
>   $ ./swt-shoooes testing/blank-window.rb
>
> but it was not executed. Then I opened Git MinGW32 console window and do
> the same. The log is the following:
>
> $ ./swt-shoooes testing/blank-window.rb
> /usr/bin/env: jruby --1.9 -J-XstartOnFirstThread: No such file or directory
>
> $ jruby --1.9 -J-XstartOnFirstThread testing/blank-window.rb
> Unrecognized option: -XstartOnFirstThread
> JVM creation failed
>
> $ jruby --1.9 testing/blank-window.rb
>
> NameError: uninitialized constant Shoes
>   const_missing at org/jruby/RubyModule.java:2590
>          (root) at testing/blank-window.rb:1
>
> Umm, I think there is something missing...
>
> ashbb
>
>

Re: [shoes] Brown Shoes : WhiteShoes, Specs, Framework, Oh My!

From:
Peter Fitzgibbons
Date:
2012-01-17 @ 17:50
HI Ash,

I have a Windows7 VM I'm using for testing.  I've installed JDK and
Msys-Git.
I'm trying to clone brown_shoes.git and WIndows7 is putting the files in
the "LIbraries" folder, subsequently unavailable on the command line??

How did you get around this?

Thanks.
Peter Fitzgibbons
(847) 859-9550
Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com


On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 9:22 AM, Peter Fitzgibbons <
peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hrm... I realized this morning that we're up against platform-specific
> launch codes.
>
> I'll get in touch with the commander-in-chief and make sure all the shoes
> rockets are set and ready for launch.
>
> Update forthcoming.
>
>
> Peter Fitzgibbons
> (847) 859-9550
> Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
> IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
> IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
>
>
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 8:17 AM, ashbb <ashbbb@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>>
>> > I've been struggling with the framework architecture.
>> > The latest update feels better.  I'm moving on to updating
>> > Shoes::Button today.
>> Great!!
>>
>> You know, I'm using Windows 7.
>> So, at first, I opened MS Windows console window and do the command:
>>
>>   $ ./swt-shoooes testing/blank-window.rb
>>
>> but it was not executed. Then I opened Git MinGW32 console window and do
>> the same. The log is the following:
>>
>> $ ./swt-shoooes testing/blank-window.rb
>> /usr/bin/env: jruby --1.9 -J-XstartOnFirstThread: No such file or
>> directory
>>
>> $ jruby --1.9 -J-XstartOnFirstThread testing/blank-window.rb
>> Unrecognized option: -XstartOnFirstThread
>> JVM creation failed
>>
>> $ jruby --1.9 testing/blank-window.rb
>>
>> NameError: uninitialized constant Shoes
>>   const_missing at org/jruby/RubyModule.java:2590
>>          (root) at testing/blank-window.rb:1
>>
>> Umm, I think there is something missing...
>>
>> ashbb
>>
>>
>