Getting infoes to run on OSX

Getting infoes to run on OSX

Tobias Pfeiffer
2011-09-13 @ 12:28
Hey guys,

I am currently a student at ruby mendicant university (besides being an
ERASMUS student in Sweden..) and as my personal project am developing
infoes, for which a first version is available (
https://github.com/PragTob/infoes ) - it is far from functionally
complete and I have to change a lot of stuff (maybe use shoes urls, for
instance)

The problem is that both of the people running the course run OSX and
don't have the time to compile their shoes version. The error report is
the following (taken from the comment thread, written by Shane Emmons):

"Tobi, I've spent way too long trying to get this to work with
precompiled shoes this morning. The problem is faraday requires a
rubygems version >= 1.3.5 =, but shoes doesn't ship that way. I don't
have the time to setup everything and compile shoes. If you're going to
continue down this path, you'll need to either package up your app, or
create some precompiled binaries with Steve (OSX or Windows) that we can
directly test your app with."

So any ideas? I'd try to compile shoes(master or develop) on Windows and
try it there. Or is a new OSX release upcoming?

I have no access to an OSX machine just Linux 64-bit and Windows 7 64 bit.

Ideas, Help or Comments?

Thank you so much for your help in advance,
Tobi

Eric Watson
2011-09-13 @ 12:42
Tobi, I'll compile a Shoes on OS X for you today

Eric

On Sep 13, 2011, at 7:28 AM, Tobias Pfeiffer
<tobias.pfeiffer@student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:

> Hey guys,
> I am currently a student at ruby mendicant university (besides being an
> ERASMUS student in Sweden..) and as my personal project am developing
> infoes, for which a first version is available (
> https://github.com/PragTob/infoes ) - it is far from functionally
> complete and I have to change a lot of stuff (maybe use shoes urls, for
> instance)
> The problem is that both of the people running the course run OSX and
> don't have the time to compile their shoes version. The error report is
> the following (taken from the comment thread, written by Shane Emmons):
> "Tobi, I've spent way too long trying to get this to work with
> precompiled shoes this morning. The problem is faraday requires a
> rubygems version >= 1.3.5 =, but shoes doesn't ship that way. I don't
> have the time to setup everything and compile shoes. If you're going to
> continue down this path, you'll need to either package up your app, or
> create some precompiled binaries with Steve (OSX or Windows) that we can
> directly test your app with."
> So any ideas? I'd try to compile shoes(master or develop) on Windows and
> try it there. Or is a new OSX release upcoming?
> I have no access to an OSX machine just Linux 64-bit and Windows 7 64 bit.
> Ideas, Help or Comments?
> Thank you so much for your help in advance,
> Tobi

Tobias Pfeiffer
2011-09-13 @ 12:46
Thank you so much Eric, made my day :-) I hope it will work for Shane
and Greg then!

Greetings,
Tobi

On 09/13/2011 02:42 PM, Eric Watson wrote:
> Tobi, I'll compile a Shoes on OS X for you today
> Eric
> On Sep 13, 2011, at 7:28 AM, Tobias Pfeiffer
> <tobias.pfeiffer@student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de>  wrote:
>> Hey guys,
>> I am currently a student at ruby mendicant university (besides being an
>> ERASMUS student in Sweden..) and as my personal project am developing
>> infoes, for which a first version is available (
>> https://github.com/PragTob/infoes ) - it is far from functionally
>> complete and I have to change a lot of stuff (maybe use shoes urls, for
>> instance)
>> The problem is that both of the people running the course run OSX and
>> don't have the time to compile their shoes version. The error report is
>> the following (taken from the comment thread, written by Shane Emmons):
>> "Tobi, I've spent way too long trying to get this to work with
>> precompiled shoes this morning. The problem is faraday requires a
>> rubygems version>= 1.3.5 =, but shoes doesn't ship that way. I don't
>> have the time to setup everything and compile shoes. If you're going to
>> continue down this path, you'll need to either package up your app, or
>> create some precompiled binaries with Steve (OSX or Windows) that we can
>> directly test your app with."
>> So any ideas? I'd try to compile shoes(master or develop) on Windows and
>> try it there. Or is a new OSX release upcoming?
>> I have no access to an OSX machine just Linux 64-bit and Windows 7 64 bit.
>> Ideas, Help or Comments?
>> Thank you so much for your help in advance,
>> Tobi

Eric Watson
2011-09-13 @ 13:16
Tobi,

Here's a zip of Shoes.app for OS X, built off of the current develop HEAD.
Hope it works for Shane!

Eric

On Sep 13, 2011, at 7:46 AM, Tobias Pfeiffer wrote:

> Thank you so much Eric, made my day :-) I hope it will work for Shane
> and Greg then!
> Greetings,
> Tobi
> On 09/13/2011 02:42 PM, Eric Watson wrote:
>> Tobi, I'll compile a Shoes on OS X for you today
>> Eric
>> On Sep 13, 2011, at 7:28 AM, Tobias Pfeiffer
>> <tobias.pfeiffer@student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de>  wrote:
>>> Hey guys,
>>> I am currently a student at ruby mendicant university (besides being an
>>> ERASMUS student in Sweden..) and as my personal project am developing
>>> infoes, for which a first version is available (
>>> https://github.com/PragTob/infoes ) - it is far from functionally
>>> complete and I have to change a lot of stuff (maybe use shoes urls, for
>>> instance)
>>> The problem is that both of the people running the course run OSX and
>>> don't have the time to compile their shoes version. The error report is
>>> the following (taken from the comment thread, written by Shane Emmons):
>>> "Tobi, I've spent way too long trying to get this to work with
>>> precompiled shoes this morning. The problem is faraday requires a
>>> rubygems version>= 1.3.5 =, but shoes doesn't ship that way. I don't
>>> have the time to setup everything and compile shoes. If you're going to
>>> continue down this path, you'll need to either package up your app, or
>>> create some precompiled binaries with Steve (OSX or Windows) that we can
>>> directly test your app with."
>>> So any ideas? I'd try to compile shoes(master or develop) on Windows and
>>> try it there. Or is a new OSX release upcoming?
>>> I have no access to an OSX machine just Linux 64-bit and Windows 7 64 bit.
>>> Ideas, Help or Comments?
>>> Thank you so much for your help in advance,
>>> Tobi

Tobias Pfeiffer
2011-09-13 @ 13:22
Thank you so much Eric, I owe you :-)

@steve: A new release sounds good!

Bye and thanks again,
Tobi

On 09/13/2011 03:16 PM, Eric Watson wrote:
> Tobi,
> Here's a zip of Shoes.app for OS X, built off of the current develop
HEAD. Hope it works for Shane!
> http://db.tt/hBrP35O
> Eric
> On Sep 13, 2011, at 7:46 AM, Tobias Pfeiffer wrote:
>> Thank you so much Eric, made my day :-) I hope it will work for Shane
>> and Greg then!
>> Greetings,
>> Tobi
>> On 09/13/2011 02:42 PM, Eric Watson wrote:
>>> Tobi, I'll compile a Shoes on OS X for you today
>>> Eric
>>> On Sep 13, 2011, at 7:28 AM, Tobias Pfeiffer
>>> <tobias.pfeiffer@student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de>   wrote:
>>>> Hey guys,
>>>>
>>>> I am currently a student at ruby mendicant university (besides being an
>>>> ERASMUS student in Sweden..) and as my personal project am developing
>>>> infoes, for which a first version is available (
>>>> https://github.com/PragTob/infoes ) - it is far from functionally
>>>> complete and I have to change a lot of stuff (maybe use shoes urls, for
>>>> instance)
>>>>
>>>> The problem is that both of the people running the course run OSX and
>>>> don't have the time to compile their shoes version. The error report is
>>>> the following (taken from the comment thread, written by Shane Emmons):
>>>>
>>>> "Tobi, I've spent way too long trying to get this to work with
>>>> precompiled shoes this morning. The problem is faraday requires a
>>>> rubygems version>= 1.3.5 =, but shoes doesn't ship that way. I don't
>>>> have the time to setup everything and compile shoes. If you're going to
>>>> continue down this path, you'll need to either package up your app, or
>>>> create some precompiled binaries with Steve (OSX or Windows) that we can
>>>> directly test your app with."
>>>> So any ideas? I'd try to compile shoes(master or develop) on Windows and
>>>> try it there. Or is a new OSX release upcoming?
>>>>
>>>> I have no access to an OSX machine just Linux 64-bit and Windows 7 64 bit.
>>>>
>>>> Ideas, Help or Comments?
>>>>
>>>> Thank you so much for your help in advance,
>>>> Tobi

Tobias Pfeiffer
2011-09-13 @ 13:50
Well unfortunately Shoes itself seems to crash as soon as Shane starts
it (OSX Lion) :-(

Shane however said that he's ok with trying it with a friday-ish release
(as I am already marked feature ok for the first checkpoint tomorrow).
So no hurry.

Tobi

On 09/13/2011 03:22 PM, Tobias Pfeiffer wrote:
> Thank you so much Eric, I owe you :-)
> @steve: A new release sounds good!
> Bye and thanks again,
> Tobi
> On 09/13/2011 03:16 PM, Eric Watson wrote:
>> Tobi,
>> Here's a zip of Shoes.app for OS X, built off of the current develop
HEAD. Hope it works for Shane!
>> http://db.tt/hBrP35O
>> Eric
>> On Sep 13, 2011, at 7:46 AM, Tobias Pfeiffer wrote:
>>> Thank you so much Eric, made my day :-) I hope it will work for Shane
>>> and Greg then!
>>> Greetings,
>>> Tobi
>>> On 09/13/2011 02:42 PM, Eric Watson wrote:
>>>> Tobi, I'll compile a Shoes on OS X for you today
>>>> Eric
>>>> On Sep 13, 2011, at 7:28 AM, Tobias Pfeiffer
>>>> <tobias.pfeiffer@student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de>    wrote:
>>>>> Hey guys,
>>>>>
>>>>> I am currently a student at ruby mendicant university (besides being an
>>>>> ERASMUS student in Sweden..) and as my personal project am developing
>>>>> infoes, for which a first version is available (
>>>>> https://github.com/PragTob/infoes ) - it is far from functionally
>>>>> complete and I have to change a lot of stuff (maybe use shoes urls, for
>>>>> instance)
>>>>>
>>>>> The problem is that both of the people running the course run OSX and
>>>>> don't have the time to compile their shoes version. The error report is
>>>>> the following (taken from the comment thread, written by Shane Emmons):
>>>>>
>>>>> "Tobi, I've spent way too long trying to get this to work with
>>>>> precompiled shoes this morning. The problem is faraday requires a
>>>>> rubygems version>= 1.3.5 =, but shoes doesn't ship that way. I don't
>>>>> have the time to setup everything and compile shoes. If you're going to
>>>>> continue down this path, you'll need to either package up your app, or
>>>>> create some precompiled binaries with Steve (OSX or Windows) that we can
>>>>> directly test your app with."
>>>>> So any ideas? I'd try to compile shoes(master or develop) on Windows and
>>>>> try it there. Or is a new OSX release upcoming?
>>>>>
>>>>> Ideas, Help or Comments?
>>>>>
>>>>> Thank you so much for your help in advance,
>>>>> Tobi

Eric Watson
2011-09-13 @ 15:02
Tobi,

Another path you may wish to explore if you're pressed for time is to
create a Linux VM for Shane to use on his machine. On my OS X boxes, I
have run Shoes in a VirtualBox VM (ubuntu) without issues. You will have
more control over the environment that way…

Eric

On Sep 13, 2011, at 8:50 AM, Tobias Pfeiffer wrote:

> Well unfortunately Shoes itself seems to crash as soon as Shane starts
> it (OSX Lion) :-(
> Shane however said that he's ok with trying it with a friday-ish release
> (as I am already marked feature ok for the first checkpoint tomorrow).
> So no hurry.
> Tobi
> On 09/13/2011 03:22 PM, Tobias Pfeiffer wrote:
>> Thank you so much Eric, I owe you :-)
>> @steve: A new release sounds good!
>> Bye and thanks again,
>> Tobi
>> On 09/13/2011 03:16 PM, Eric Watson wrote:
>>> Tobi,
>>> Here's a zip of Shoes.app for OS X, built off of the current develop
HEAD. Hope it works for Shane!
>>> http://db.tt/hBrP35O
>>> Eric
>>> On Sep 13, 2011, at 7:46 AM, Tobias Pfeiffer wrote:
>>>> Thank you so much Eric, made my day :-) I hope it will work for Shane
>>>> and Greg then!
>>>> Greetings,
>>>> Tobi
>>>> On 09/13/2011 02:42 PM, Eric Watson wrote:
>>>>> Tobi, I'll compile a Shoes on OS X for you today
>>>>> Eric
>>>>> On Sep 13, 2011, at 7:28 AM, Tobias Pfeiffer
>>>>> <tobias.pfeiffer@student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de>    wrote:
>>>>>> Hey guys,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I am currently a student at ruby mendicant university (besides being an
>>>>>> ERASMUS student in Sweden..) and as my personal project am developing
>>>>>> infoes, for which a first version is available (
>>>>>> https://github.com/PragTob/infoes ) - it is far from functionally
>>>>>> complete and I have to change a lot of stuff (maybe use shoes urls, for
>>>>>> instance)
>>>>>>
>>>>>> The problem is that both of the people running the course run OSX and
>>>>>> don't have the time to compile their shoes version. The error report is
>>>>>> the following (taken from the comment thread, written by Shane Emmons):
>>>>>>
>>>>>> "Tobi, I've spent way too long trying to get this to work with
>>>>>> precompiled shoes this morning. The problem is faraday requires a
>>>>>> rubygems version>= 1.3.5 =, but shoes doesn't ship that way. I don't
>>>>>> have the time to setup everything and compile shoes. If you're going to
>>>>>> continue down this path, you'll need to either package up your app, or
>>>>>> create some precompiled binaries with Steve (OSX or Windows) that we can
>>>>>> directly test your app with."
>>>>>> So any ideas? I'd try to compile shoes(master or develop) on Windows and
>>>>>> try it there. Or is a new OSX release upcoming?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Ideas, Help or Comments?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Thank you so much for your help in advance,
>>>>>> Tobi

Tobias Pfeiffer
2011-09-13 @ 16:03
Yeah Eric I already proposed this solution but they didn't (yet) react
to it. Anyways I wouldn't know where to upload the VM but I'd find
something I guess. Let's wait how this goes, afterwards I'll create a VM
quickly with Virtual Box :-)

Tobi

On 09/13/2011 05:02 PM, Eric Watson wrote:
> Tobi,
> Another path you may wish to explore if you're pressed for time is to
create a Linux VM for Shane to use on his machine. On my OS X boxes, I
have run Shoes in a VirtualBox VM (ubuntu) without issues. You will have
more control over the environment that way…
> Eric
> On Sep 13, 2011, at 8:50 AM, Tobias Pfeiffer wrote:
>> Well unfortunately Shoes itself seems to crash as soon as Shane starts
>> it (OSX Lion) :-(
>> Shane however said that he's ok with trying it with a friday-ish release
>> (as I am already marked feature ok for the first checkpoint tomorrow).
>> So no hurry.
>> Tobi
>> On 09/13/2011 03:22 PM, Tobias Pfeiffer wrote:
>>> Thank you so much Eric, I owe you :-)
>>> @steve: A new release sounds good!
>>> Bye and thanks again,
>>> Tobi
>>> On 09/13/2011 03:16 PM, Eric Watson wrote:
>>>> Tobi,
>>>> Here's a zip of Shoes.app for OS X, built off of the current develop
HEAD. Hope it works for Shane!
>>>> http://db.tt/hBrP35O
>>>>>>> the following (taken from the comment thread, written by Shane Emmons):
>>>>>>> "Tobi, I've spent way too long trying to get this to work with
>>>>>>> precompiled shoes this morning. The problem is faraday requires a
>>>>>>> rubygems version>= 1.3.5 =, but shoes doesn't ship that way. I don't
>>>>>>> have the time to setup everything and compile shoes. If you're going to
>>>>>>> continue down this path, you'll need to either package up your app, or
>>>>>>> create some precompiled binaries with Steve (OSX or Windows) that we can
>>>>>>> directly test your app with."
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> So any ideas? I'd try to compile shoes(master or develop) on Windows and
>>>>>>> try it there. Or is a new OSX release upcoming?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I have no access to an OSX machine just Linux 64-bit and Windows 7 64 bit.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Ideas, Help or Comments?
>>>>>>> Thank you so much for your help in advance,
>>>>>>> Tobi

Tobias Pfeiffer
2011-09-13 @ 22:22
Greg will try to get Shoes running within the next couple of days. He'll
write up whatever it took him to get it running (hopefully just building
it from source according to the wiki will work).

I hope his feedback helps in getting the release ready (and of course I
hope that he likes infoes).

cheers,
Tobi

PS: I'd be happy to test Linux 64 bit/Windows 7 64 bit compatibility of
the RC.

On 09/13/2011 05:02 PM, Eric Watson wrote:
> Tobi,
> Another path you may wish to explore if you're pressed for time is to
create a Linux VM for Shane to use on his machine. On my OS X boxes, I
have run Shoes in a VirtualBox VM (ubuntu) without issues. You will have
more control over the environment that way…
> Eric
> On Sep 13, 2011, at 8:50 AM, Tobias Pfeiffer wrote:
>> Well unfortunately Shoes itself seems to crash as soon as Shane starts
>> it (OSX Lion) :-(
>> Shane however said that he's ok with trying it with a friday-ish release
>> (as I am already marked feature ok for the first checkpoint tomorrow).
>> So no hurry.
>> Tobi
>> On 09/13/2011 03:22 PM, Tobias Pfeiffer wrote:
>>> Thank you so much Eric, I owe you :-)
>>> @steve: A new release sounds good!
>>> Bye and thanks again,
>>> Tobi
>>> On 09/13/2011 03:16 PM, Eric Watson wrote:
>>>> Tobi,
>>>> Here's a zip of Shoes.app for OS X, built off of the current develop
HEAD. Hope it works for Shane!
>>>> http://db.tt/hBrP35O
>>>>>>> the following (taken from the comment thread, written by Shane Emmons):
>>>>>>> "Tobi, I've spent way too long trying to get this to work with
>>>>>>> precompiled shoes this morning. The problem is faraday requires a
>>>>>>> rubygems version>= 1.3.5 =, but shoes doesn't ship that way. I don't
>>>>>>> have the time to setup everything and compile shoes. If you're going to
>>>>>>> continue down this path, you'll need to either package up your app, or
>>>>>>> directly test your app with."
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> try it there. Or is a new OSX release upcoming?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Ideas, Help or Comments?
>>>>>>> Thank you so much for your help in advance,
>>>>>>> Tobi

Tobias Pfeiffer
2011-09-13 @ 22:23
Greg will try to get Shoes running within the next couple of days. He'll
write up whatever it took him to get it running (hopefully just building
it from source according to the wiki will work).

I hope his feedback helps in getting the release ready (and of course I
hope that he likes infoes).

cheers,
Tobi

PS: I'd be happy to test Linux 64 bit/Windows 7 64 bit compatibility of
the RC.

On 09/13/2011 05:02 PM, Eric Watson wrote:
> Tobi,
> Another path you may wish to explore if you're pressed for time is to
create a Linux VM for Shane to use on his machine. On my OS X boxes, I
have run Shoes in a VirtualBox VM (ubuntu) without issues. You will have
more control over the environment that way…
> Eric
> On Sep 13, 2011, at 8:50 AM, Tobias Pfeiffer wrote:
>> Well unfortunately Shoes itself seems to crash as soon as Shane starts
>> it (OSX Lion) :-(
>> Shane however said that he's ok with trying it with a friday-ish release
>> (as I am already marked feature ok for the first checkpoint tomorrow).
>> So no hurry.
>> Tobi
>> On 09/13/2011 03:22 PM, Tobias Pfeiffer wrote:
>>> Thank you so much Eric, I owe you :-)
>>> @steve: A new release sounds good!
>>> Bye and thanks again,
>>> Tobi
>>> On 09/13/2011 03:16 PM, Eric Watson wrote:
>>>> Tobi,
>>>> Here's a zip of Shoes.app for OS X, built off of the current develop
HEAD. Hope it works for Shane!
>>>> http://db.tt/hBrP35O
>>>>>>> the following (taken from the comment thread, written by Shane Emmons):
>>>>>>> "Tobi, I've spent way too long trying to get this to work with
>>>>>>> precompiled shoes this morning. The problem is faraday requires a
>>>>>>> rubygems version>= 1.3.5 =, but shoes doesn't ship that way. I don't
>>>>>>> have the time to setup everything and compile shoes. If you're going to
>>>>>>> continue down this path, you'll need to either package up your app, or
>>>>>>> directly test your app with."
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> try it there. Or is a new OSX release upcoming?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Ideas, Help or Comments?
>>>>>>> Thank you so much for your help in advance,
>>>>>>> Tobi

Steve Klabnik
2011-09-13 @ 14:33
What's the error that shows up in Console.app? What Eric built
basically is an RC of the release, so... we'd want to fix that.

Chuck Remes
2011-09-13 @ 14:39
On Sep 13, 2011, at 9:33 AM, Steve Klabnik wrote:

> What's the error that shows up in Console.app? What Eric built
> basically is an RC of the release, so... we'd want to fix that.

I downloaded that zip file. When launching it on my system, it crashes
during the display of the splash screen. I'm including a gist of the
backtrace that OSX is throwing up.

I hope this helps.

cr

Eric Watson
2011-09-13 @ 15:00
Chuck, thanks for the trace. That's very helpful. I can't recreate the
error on my system yet. I notice that if I just lauch
./Shoes.app/Contents/MacOS/shoes-bin directly (skipping the shoes-launch
config script), I get a similar (but different) BAD_ACCESS error:

I think it's something to do with the cairo/pango environment that is set
up on my dev machine, but is not getting transferred into the built binary
properly.

On Sep 13, 2011, at 9:39 AM, Chuck Remes wrote:

> On Sep 13, 2011, at 9:33 AM, Steve Klabnik wrote:
>> What's the error that shows up in Console.app? What Eric built
>> basically is an RC of the release, so... we'd want to fix that.
> I downloaded that zip file. When launching it on my system, it crashes
during the display of the splash screen. I'm including a gist of the
backtrace that OSX is throwing up.
> https://gist.github.com/1213954
> I hope this helps.
> cr

Tobias Pfeiffer
2011-09-13 @ 16:00
I got the error logs from Shane, I hope that they'll help you!

Tobi

PS: The mailing list wouldn't let me attach them, so I hope a gist is ok.

On 09/13/2011 05:00 PM, Eric Watson wrote:
> Chuck, thanks for the trace. That's very helpful. I can't recreate the
error on my system yet. I notice that if I just lauch
./Shoes.app/Contents/MacOS/shoes-bin directly (skipping the shoes-launch
config script), I get a similar (but different) BAD_ACCESS error:
> https://gist.github.com/1214020
> I think it's something to do with the cairo/pango environment that is
set up on my dev machine, but is not getting transferred into the built
binary properly.
> On Sep 13, 2011, at 9:39 AM, Chuck Remes wrote:
>> On Sep 13, 2011, at 9:33 AM, Steve Klabnik wrote:
>>> What's the error that shows up in Console.app? What Eric built
>>> basically is an RC of the release, so... we'd want to fix that.
>> I downloaded that zip file. When launching it on my system, it crashes
during the display of the splash screen. I'm including a gist of the
backtrace that OSX is throwing up.
>> https://gist.github.com/1213954
>> I hope this helps.
>> cr

Steve Klabnik
2011-09-13 @ 13:02
And we do have a release planned soon. I'm going to take a stab at fixing
the windows build process, and if it's tractable, we'll release on
fridayish. If its not, we'll put out a new Linux and OSX release and windows
will be a bit behind for a few weeks.