librelist archives

« back to archive

rdoc for Shoes

rdoc for Shoes

From:
Chuck Remes
Date:
2011-09-12 @ 18:17
Where can I find documentation on all of the arguments that can be passed 
to slots and elements? I've been reading the docs at shoesrb.com but I 
could not find a reference. I also looked at the rdoc but it doesn't 
contain any documentation for methods like #stack, #flow, #rect, #button, 
etc.

I tried googling for help but almost all returns have to do with *actual* 
shoes for your feet. :)

Thanks for pointers...

cr

Re: [shoes] rdoc for Shoes

From:
J. Kaiden
Date:
2011-09-12 @ 19:45
On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 8:17 PM, Chuck Remes <cremes.devlist@mac.com> wrote:

> Where can I find documentation on all of the arguments that can be passed
> to slots and elements? I've been reading the docs at shoesrb.com but I
> could not find a reference. I also looked at the rdoc but it doesn't contain
> any documentation for methods like #stack, #flow, #rect, #button, etc.
>

hi Chuck -

  check out the manual - although it doesn't really read like standard
documentation, it covers that stuff pretty well.

  slots: http://shoesrb.com/manual/Slots.html
<http://shoesrb.com/manual/Slots.html>  elements:
http://shoesrb.com/manual/Elements.html

  click through all the sub-headings on these pages, and you'll figure a lot
of stuff out.
<http://shoesrb.com/manual/Elements.html>  make sure to click on the "Common
Methods" link on the elements page as well...

  this is terribly obvious, but what i do a lot to see the methods that are
available to a particular slot or element is something like this...

   Shoes.app do
 puts "FLOW METHODS:"
f = flow
f.methods.sort.each{|m| p m}
puts
puts "BUTTON METHODS:"
b = button
b.methods.sort.each{|m| p m}
   end

  ...doesn't explain them, but gives you an idea of what you can play around
with...


  Shoes on!

  - j

Re: [shoes] rdoc for Shoes

From:
Chuck Remes
Date:
2011-09-12 @ 20:27
On Sep 12, 2011, at 2:45 PM, J. Kaiden wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 8:17 PM, Chuck Remes <cremes.devlist@mac.com> wrote:
> Where can I find documentation on all of the arguments that can be 
passed to slots and elements? I've been reading the docs at shoesrb.com 
but I could not find a reference. I also looked at the rdoc but it doesn't
contain any documentation for methods like #stack, #flow, #rect, #button, 
etc.
> 
> hi Chuck - 
> 
>   check out the manual - although it doesn't really read like standard 
documentation, it covers that stuff pretty well.
> 
>   slots: http://shoesrb.com/manual/Slots.html
>   elements:  http://shoesrb.com/manual/Elements.html
>   
>   click through all the sub-headings on these pages, and you'll figure a
lot of stuff out.  
>   make sure to click on the "Common Methods" link on the elements page 
as well...
> 
>   this is terribly obvious, but what i do a lot to see the methods that 
are available to a particular slot or element is something like this...
> 
>    Shoes.app do
> 	
> 	puts "FLOW METHODS:"
> 	f = flow
> 	f.methods.sort.each{|m| p m}
> 	puts
> 	puts "BUTTON METHODS:"
> 	b = button
> 	b.methods.sort.each{|m| p m}
> 	
>    end
> 
>   ...doesn't explain them, but gives you an idea of what you can play 
around with...

J, thanks for the tips. I've been through the manual a few times now and 
have a pretty good handle on things.

cr

Re: [shoes] rdoc for Shoes

From:
Tobias Pfeiffer
Date:
2011-09-12 @ 20:38
Also have you read Nobody knows shoes? 
cloud.github.com/downloads/*shoes*/*shoes*/nks.pdf

it gave me a good idea on how to use stacks/flows for what I wanted to 
accomplish and it has an interesting style.

Tobi

On 09/12/2011 10:27 PM, Chuck Remes wrote:
> On Sep 12, 2011, at 2:45 PM, J. Kaiden wrote:
>
> >  On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 8:17 PM, Chuck Remes<cremes.devlist@mac.com
> >  <mailto:cremes.devlist@mac.com>>  wrote:
> >
> >      Where can I find documentation on all of the arguments that can be passed
> >      to slots and elements? I've been reading the docs at shoesrb.com
> >      <http://shoesrb.com/>  but I could not find a reference. I also looked at
> >      the rdoc but it doesn't contain any documentation for methods 
like #stack,
> >      #flow, #rect, #button, etc.
> >
> >
> >  hi Chuck -
> >
> >  check out the manual - although it doesn't really read like standard
> >  documentation, it covers that stuff pretty well.
> >
> >  slots: http://shoesrb.com/manual/Slots.html
> >  <http://shoesrb.com/manual/Slots.html>  elements:
> >  http://shoesrb.com/manual/Elements.html
> >  click through all the sub-headings on these pages, and you'll figure a lot of
> >  stuff out.
> >  <http://shoesrb.com/manual/Elements.html>  make sure to click on the "Common
> >  Methods" link on the elements page as well...
> >
> >  this is terribly obvious, but what i do a lot to see the methods that are
> >  available to a particular slot or element is something like this...
> >
> >  Shoes.app do
> >  puts "FLOW METHODS:"
> >  f = flow
> >  f.methods.sort.each{|m| p m}
> >  puts
> >  puts "BUTTON METHODS:"
> >  b = button
> >  b.methods.sort.each{|m| p m}
> >  end
> >
> >  ...doesn't explain them, but gives you an idea of what you can play 
around with...
>
> J, thanks for the tips. I've been through the manual a few times now and have a
> pretty good handle on things.
>
> cr
>
>

Re: [shoes] rdoc for Shoes

From:
ashbb
Date:
2011-09-13 @ 11:02
Hi Chuck,

Thank you for the post and welcome to Shoes ML. ;-)

At first, are you using Red Shoes on OSX, aren't you?

1. I think this is the problem on OSX. I'm using Red Shoes 3 for Windows.
The tabbing (move to next edit_line) works well in the following snippet.

Shoes.app do
 3.times{edit_line}
end

2. Look at focus() method: http://shoes.heroku.com/manual/Button.html#focus
But, umm.... The following snippet doesn't work as expected on my Windows 7.
I think this is a bug...

Shoes.app do
 button('one'){alert 'one'}
 button('two'){alert 'two'}.focus
 button('three'){alert 'three'}
end

ps. With Green Shoes, this snippet works well. ;-)

3. Oh, good idea!
I don't know anyone write the Date Picker. But feel free write it by
yourself and share. ;-)

4. As Tobi noted, Shoes.setup is one of the ways.

Have fun,
ashbb

Re: [shoes] rdoc for Shoes

From:
ashbb
Date:
2011-09-13 @ 11:04
Oops, sorry. I mistook the thread to reply. xx-P

ashbb