librelist archives

« back to archive

Creating a shoes-dev list?

Creating a shoes-dev list?

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2011-07-11 @ 13:31
Hey everyone-

Over the last few days, Cecil and I have been talking about how it's kinda
hard to monitor tickets on GitHub, because only some people get
notifications about them. So, we were talking about cross-posting Issue
updates to the ML, and maybe even commits.

However, I'm concerned that this is too much for one list. Right now, Shoes
development is pretty quiet, but hopefully, after I speak at Lone Star Ruby
and RubyConf, that'll change. ;) Well, it'll change regardless, since in
August I'm back on Shoes full-time, but whatever.

So, I'm proposing one of two things:

1) post these changes to the ML. You can keep track of everything Shoes in
one place.
2) Create an additional list, shoes-dev, which has just Issues and Commits,
for both Red and Green Shoes.

Which would everyone prefer? I'll let this sit for a few days, and then do
whatever's appropriate near the end of the week.

-Steve

Re: [shoes] Creating a shoes-dev list?

From:
Cecil Coupe
Date:
2011-07-12 @ 05:23
I hadn't thought of tracking commit notifications but that would be a
really nice inclusion for a separate mailing list. I was only thinking
that by the time github notifies me of an issue, hours and hours have
passed and some of them are so simple to solve that hours is way too
long (IMO).

Is it possible to set up a broadcast only ML with librelist? You can
subscribe and un-subscribe but only github shoes projects (red and
green) can send to the new ML with short notifications of the
issue/commit activity? 

Working an issue reported at github happens at github who does fine with
email if once you wade in to help. The new ML is just notifications. If
a problem or question is reported on this mailing list we would answer
on this mailing list as we have always done. 

It does sound a lot like twitter and for all I know that might be easier
to gateway to than a ML. Luddite that I am, I don't have a cell phone
and I don't tweet but if Twitter has an RSS feed for a channel I can
follow along. 

Perhaps it would be called 'shoes-gitnote' because -dev implies there is
a developer conversation. It's been months since a development
discussion has happened here so the new to shoes folks probably think
this ML is dead. No need to split conversations prematurely. Using my
shoes-gitnote idea doesn't preclude a shoes-dev list at some future
time.  

Assuming it is easy for Steve to gateway github notifications to
librelist (check my assumptions) it would be easy and painless to try
shoes-gitnote and if it doesn't work, it's a mostly painless failure
that might teach us something. 

More than 2 cents of your time,
I apologize about that. 

--Cecil

Re: [shoes] Creating a shoes-dev list?

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2011-07-12 @ 11:36
> Is it possible to set up a broadcast only ML with librelist?

No. This doesn't mean we can't use some other mechanism to do this, or
just accept that it's read/write, and expect people to not write that
much.

> It does sound a lot like twitter and for all I know that might be easier
> to gateway to than a ML. Luddite that I am, I don't have a cell phone
> and I don't tweet but if Twitter has an RSS feed for a channel I can
> follow along.

They killed their RSS feeds a few months back. :/

> Perhaps it would be called 'shoes-gitnote' because -dev implies there is
> a developer conversation. It's been months since a development
> discussion has happened here so the new to shoes folks probably think
> this ML is dead. No need to split conversations prematurely. Using my
> shoes-gitnote idea doesn't preclude a shoes-dev list at some future
> time.

Hm.

> Assuming it is easy for Steve to gateway github notifications to
> librelist (check my assumptions) it would be easy and painless to try
> shoes-gitnote and if it doesn't work, it's a mostly painless failure
> that might teach us something.

That's also true. With the new GitHub API, it shouldn't be too bad to
make a gateway: http://developer.github.com/v3/issues/events/

I also am starting to think that maybe it's a good idea to put this
stuff here at first, with the idea of moving it away if it gets to be
too much. No sense adding too much process until it's needed, right?

Re: [shoes] Creating a shoes-dev list?

From:
Cecil Coupe
Date:
2011-07-13 @ 06:23
On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 07:36 -0400, Steve Klabnik wrote:
> I also am starting to think that maybe it's a good idea to put this
> stuff here at first, with the idea of moving it away if it gets to be
> too much. No sense adding too much process until it's needed, right? 

Exactly. Don't over design around a problem that doesn't exist. Just be
aware that it might go wonky and have a plan B if the vast readership of
this list starts complaining about github notifications in their inbox.

Try it. If the huge number of shoe's commits offends someone here they
will complain and you can undo it toot-sweet. I would like to track what
ashbb's doing with green shoes but it takes a lot of clicks to find out.
Crap I haven't seen what he's been up to in the last two weeks. Gotta go
and look.

--Cecil

Re: [shoes] Creating a shoes-dev list?

From:
ashbb
Date:
2011-07-13 @ 11:49
Hi Cecil,

> I haven't seen what he's been up to in the last two weeks.
$ git log --since=2.weeks

Do you want me to send Green Shoes commit message to this ML every time?

ashbb

Re: [shoes] Creating a shoes-dev list?

From:
serialhex
Date:
2011-07-11 @ 20:06
while it's pretty easy now to keep track of things on the one mailing list,
in the future we will probably have a lot more going on so it would be
better to create a dev- channel.  esp. since later on it might create some
confusion if we do a split.

just my 0.02 cents
hex

(yes, 2 tenths of a cent :P )

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 9:31 AM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:

> Hey everyone-
>
> Over the last few days, Cecil and I have been talking about how it's kinda
> hard to monitor tickets on GitHub, because only some people get
> notifications about them. So, we were talking about cross-posting Issue
> updates to the ML, and maybe even commits.
>
> However, I'm concerned that this is too much for one list. Right now, Shoes
> development is pretty quiet, but hopefully, after I speak at Lone Star Ruby
> and RubyConf, that'll change. ;) Well, it'll change regardless, since in
> August I'm back on Shoes full-time, but whatever.
>
> So, I'm proposing one of two things:
>
> 1) post these changes to the ML. You can keep track of everything Shoes in
> one place.
> 2) Create an additional list, shoes-dev, which has just Issues and Commits,
> for both Red and Green Shoes.
>
> Which would everyone prefer? I'll let this sit for a few days, and then do
> whatever's appropriate near the end of the week.
>
> -Steve
>



-- 
my blog is cooler than yours: serialhex.github.com

> > Other than the fact Linux has a cool name, could someone explain why I
> > should use Linux over BSD?
>
> No.  That's it.  The cool name, that is.  We worked very hard on
> creating a name that would appeal to the majority of people, and it
> certainly paid off: thousands of people are using linux just to be able
> to say "OS/2? Hah.  I've got Linux.  What a cool name".  386BSD made the
> mistake of putting a lot of numbers and weird abbreviations into the
> name, and is scaring away a lot of people just because it sounds too
> technical.
	-- Linus Torvalds' follow-up to a question about Linux

Re: [shoes] Creating a shoes-dev list?

From:
J. Kaiden
Date:
2011-07-11 @ 22:43
hi Steve -

  i'm following the github dev updates, and that makes it pretty easy to see
what's going on -  but you've got a good point (wear a hat, no one will
notice ;) )  maybe this list would be a good place to post changes.

  hope things go well for you in austin, and that folks walk a mile in your
Shoes...

 -j