librelist archives

« back to archive

documentation

documentation

From:
J. Kaiden
Date:
2011-05-04 @ 12:48
hello there -

  i've been trying out shoes, and enjoying it greatly...  i find that things
that took scores of lines of code in gtk2 can be done in a dozen or less in
shoes - and that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy...   nice work!

  the manual is good, but doesn't cover all of the methods available for any
given element - for example...

  running this:

Shoes.app do
img = image "TradyBlix.png"
puts img.methods.sort
end

  ...i get a nice list of lots of seemingly very useful methods that don't
appear in the manual - i can of course fiddle around with them myself and
try to figure them out, but a document which explained them and their
arguments (if any,) would sure be helpful - does anything like this exist?

  thanks,

  - j

Re: [shoes] documentation

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2011-05-04 @ 13:18
... and of course, as ashbb says, if you'd like to help with this effort,
you'd be more than welcome, and I'd be glad to help you help us, but I feel
like that's a cop out as a primary answer, by open source people. Heh.

Re: [shoes] documentation

From:
Zachary Scott
Date:
2011-05-04 @ 14:03
If you're interested, I've started the initial rdoc tasks for
Satoshi's green_shoes project, and you can see the generated output by
running the following:

git clone git://github.com/ashbb/green_shoes.git
cd green_shoes
rake rdoc

This may ask you to install development dependencies such as jeweler,
but once that is installed, running 'rake install' will set you up
with a source install of the green_shoes gem.

Granted, there has been little to no work put in yet to contribute to
documenting the methods in rdoc, it will still grab a list of the
available methods. I'd love to start working on reorganizing and
documenting all of green_shoes' classes and methods soon, and glad
there is an interest in the project!

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com> wrote:
> ... and of course, as ashbb says, if you'd like to help with this effort,
> you'd be more than welcome, and I'd be glad to help you help us, but I feel
> like that's a cop out as a primary answer, by open source people. Heh.

Re: [shoes] documentation

From:
James
Date:
2011-05-04 @ 14:29
Hi folks,

is ashbb's considered the master repo right now?

Thanks!

James

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 8:03 AM, Zachary Scott <zachary.s.scott@gmail.com>wrote:

> If you're interested, I've started the initial rdoc tasks for
> Satoshi's green_shoes project, and you can see the generated output by
> running the following:
>
> git clone git://github.com/ashbb/green_shoes.git
> cd green_shoes
> rake rdoc
>
> This may ask you to install development dependencies such as jeweler,
> but once that is installed, running 'rake install' will set you up
> with a source install of the green_shoes gem.
>
> Granted, there has been little to no work put in yet to contribute to
> documenting the methods in rdoc, it will still grab a list of the
> available methods. I'd love to start working on reorganizing and
> documenting all of green_shoes' classes and methods soon, and glad
> there is an interest in the project!
>
> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>
> wrote:
> > ... and of course, as ashbb says, if you'd like to help with this effort,
> > you'd be more than welcome, and I'd be glad to help you help us, but I
> feel
> > like that's a cop out as a primary answer, by open source people. Heh.
>

Re: [shoes] documentation

From:
Zachary Scott
Date:
2011-05-04 @ 14:35
Ooops meant "yup". Stupid autocorrect.. hahaha
On May 4, 2011 10:29 AM, "James" <oscartheduck@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> is ashbb's considered the master repo right now?
>
> Thanks!
>
> James
>
> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 8:03 AM, Zachary Scott <zachary.s.scott@gmail.com
>wrote:
>
>> If you're interested, I've started the initial rdoc tasks for
>> Satoshi's green_shoes project, and you can see the generated output by
>> running the following:
>>
>> git clone git://github.com/ashbb/green_shoes.git
>> cd green_shoes
>> rake rdoc
>>
>> This may ask you to install development dependencies such as jeweler,
>> but once that is installed, running 'rake install' will set you up
>> with a source install of the green_shoes gem.
>>
>> Granted, there has been little to no work put in yet to contribute to
>> documenting the methods in rdoc, it will still grab a list of the
>> available methods. I'd love to start working on reorganizing and
>> documenting all of green_shoes' classes and methods soon, and glad
>> there is an interest in the project!
>>
>> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>
>> wrote:
>> > ... and of course, as ashbb says, if you'd like to help with this
effort,
>> > you'd be more than welcome, and I'd be glad to help you help us, but I
>> feel
>> > like that's a cop out as a primary answer, by open source people. Heh.
>>

Re: [shoes] documentation

From:
James
Date:
2011-05-04 @ 14:50
Best. Typo. Evar.

I keep meaning to get more involved with ruby again; documentation of shoes
code sounds like a good project. Let's see what time I can schedule...

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Zachary Scott <zachary.s.scott@gmail.com>wrote:

> Ooops meant "yup". Stupid autocorrect.. hahaha
> On May 4, 2011 10:29 AM, "James" <oscartheduck@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > is ashbb's considered the master repo right now?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > James
> >
> > On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 8:03 AM, Zachary Scott <zachary.s.scott@gmail.com
> >wrote:
> >
> >> If you're interested, I've started the initial rdoc tasks for
> >> Satoshi's green_shoes project, and you can see the generated output by
> >> running the following:
> >>
> >> git clone git://github.com/ashbb/green_shoes.git
> >> cd green_shoes
> >> rake rdoc
> >>
> >> This may ask you to install development dependencies such as jeweler,
> >> but once that is installed, running 'rake install' will set you up
> >> with a source install of the green_shoes gem.
> >>
> >> Granted, there has been little to no work put in yet to contribute to
> >> documenting the methods in rdoc, it will still grab a list of the
> >> available methods. I'd love to start working on reorganizing and
> >> documenting all of green_shoes' classes and methods soon, and glad
> >> there is an interest in the project!
> >>
> >> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>
> >> wrote:
> >> > ... and of course, as ashbb says, if you'd like to help with this
> effort,
> >> > you'd be more than welcome, and I'd be glad to help you help us, but I
> >> feel
> >> > like that's a cop out as a primary answer, by open source people. Heh.
> >>
>

Re: [shoes] documentation

From:
Zachary Scott
Date:
2011-05-04 @ 14:34
Typo!
On May 4, 2011 10:29 AM, "James" <oscartheduck@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> is ashbb's considered the master repo right now?
>
> Thanks!
>
> James
>
> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 8:03 AM, Zachary Scott <zachary.s.scott@gmail.com
>wrote:
>
>> If you're interested, I've started the initial rdoc tasks for
>> Satoshi's green_shoes project, and you can see the generated output by
>> running the following:
>>
>> git clone git://github.com/ashbb/green_shoes.git
>> cd green_shoes
>> rake rdoc
>>
>> This may ask you to install development dependencies such as jeweler,
>> but once that is installed, running 'rake install' will set you up
>> with a source install of the green_shoes gem.
>>
>> Granted, there has been little to no work put in yet to contribute to
>> documenting the methods in rdoc, it will still grab a list of the
>> available methods. I'd love to start working on reorganizing and
>> documenting all of green_shoes' classes and methods soon, and glad
>> there is an interest in the project!
>>
>> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>
>> wrote:
>> > ... and of course, as ashbb says, if you'd like to help with this
effort,
>> > you'd be more than welcome, and I'd be glad to help you help us, but I
>> feel
>> > like that's a cop out as a primary answer, by open source people. Heh.
>>

Re: [shoes] documentation

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2011-05-04 @ 15:26
Ash's is for green_shoes, which is a re-write of shoes in all ruby.

shoes/shoes is the master repo for red shoes, which is the classic shoes
that Why wrote.

Re: [shoes] documentation

From:
J. Kaiden
Date:
2011-05-04 @ 23:44
## sorry if this is a repeat post...  still working out this mailing list!
 not sure who to respond to...  dumb....
##original post:

hello all -

  ok, no sweat - i like shoes enough to tinker around myself and figure
things out.

  i'm a reader/writer, not a programmer, and honestly it was _why's
'poignant guide' that got me back into even trying this programming stuff -
so i can certainly appreciate the idea of "figure it out yerself..."
 however, being pretty green at all of this, i also greatly appreciate good
documentation!

  Steve, Ash, et al. - i'd be happy to help out with documentation, and will
certainly post back here with whatever i'm able to come up with.  again, i
have no programming experience aside from working out pacman clones in basic
with my dad on my TI-994A back in the early 80's - so i'm not sure how much
help i'll be.  i can write, and i think the effort of documenting the
various shoes is well worth the effort - so i'll be more than happy to help
out however i can.

  i'm trying to "translate" the audio player i have written in ruby gtk2
over to shoes... so i'll surely be back soon with questions - and i'll get
back with any answers i find as well.

  - j

>

Re: [shoes] documentation

From:
James
Date:
2011-05-05 @ 02:12
Yeah! You should be sorry! This is a serious list for serious people!

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 5:44 PM, J. Kaiden <jakekaiden@gmail.com> wrote:

> ## sorry if this is a repeat post...  still working out this mailing list!
>  not sure who to respond to...  dumb....
> ##original post:
>
> hello all -
>
>   ok, no sweat - i like shoes enough to tinker around myself and figure
> things out.
>
>   i'm a reader/writer, not a programmer, and honestly it was _why's
> 'poignant guide' that got me back into even trying this programming stuff -
> so i can certainly appreciate the idea of "figure it out yerself..."
>  however, being pretty green at all of this, i also greatly appreciate good
> documentation!
>
>   Steve, Ash, et al. - i'd be happy to help out with documentation, and
> will certainly post back here with whatever i'm able to come up with.
>  again, i have no programming experience aside from working out pacman
> clones in basic with my dad on my TI-994A back in the early 80's - so i'm
> not sure how much help i'll be.  i can write, and i think the effort of
> documenting the various shoes is well worth the effort - so i'll be more
> than happy to help out however i can.
>
>   i'm trying to "translate" the audio player i have written in ruby gtk2
> over to shoes... so i'll surely be back soon with questions - and i'll get
> back with any answers i find as well.
>
>   - j
>
>>
>

Re: [shoes] documentation

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2011-05-05 @ 03:31
>
> Yeah! You should be sorry! This is a serious list for serious people!


:)

j, that'd be great. Let me know what you need from me to help out, and even
if you just want to explain some stuff and dump a bunch of text on me, I can
figure out how to integrate it into the documentation. :)

You can also speak to me (and others!) in real-time on #shoes on Freenode. I
idle all the time, and while I'm not always present, I get back to people if
they leave messages and join later. :)

Re: [shoes] documentation

From:
J. Kaiden
Date:
2011-05-05 @ 11:24
sounds good -

  i'll check out the existing stuff, and send anything else i can figure out
to this list.

   thanks for all the feedback...  seriously  ;)

  - j

>
>>
>>

Re: documentation

From:
J. Kaiden
Date:
2011-05-04 @ 23:04
>
>
> hello all -

  ok, no sweat - i like shoes enough to tinker around myself and figure
things out.

  i'm a reader/writer, not a programmer, and honestly it was _why's
'poignant guide' that got me back into even trying this programming stuff -
so i can certainly appreciate the idea of "figure it out yerself..."
 however, being pretty green at all of this, i also greatly appreciate good
documentation!

  Steve, Ash, et al. - i'd be happy to help out with documentation, and will
certainly post back here with whatever i'm able to come up with.  again, i
have no programming experience aside from working out pacman clones in basic
with my dad on my TI-994A back in the early 80's - so i'm not sure how much
help i'll be.  i can write, and i think the effort of documenting the
various shoes is well worth the effort - so i'll be more than happy to help
out however i can.

  i'm trying to "translate" the audio player i have written in ruby gtk2
over to shoes... so i'll surely be back soon with questions - and i'll get
back with any answers i find as well.

  - j

Re: [shoes] documentation

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2011-05-04 @ 13:17
Hey J-

Unfortunately, there isn't. Why, the original author of Shoes, wasn't that
into documentation, because he wanted people to explore code, and so lots of
his projects are kinda light on it...

I feel the exact opposite, however, and improving the docs is part of my
goals for the project's future. I've been working on documenting the code
itself first, and was going to improve the user documentation afterwards,
but maybe I should do both, in tandem.

-Steve

Re: [shoes] documentation

From:
ashbb
Date:
2011-05-04 @ 13:16
Hi Jake,

Yes, you are right. There are lots of things not mentioned in any documents.
So, we'll still be able to find new treasures _why left in the code. :-P

Please do writing if you figure them out and send a pull request on github.
Or discuss about them in this ML.

Let's improve Shoes manual. ;-)

ashbb