librelist archives

« back to archive

Segmentation Faults

Segmentation Faults

From:
Alan Jelden
Date:
2011-02-25 @ 18:05
I started writing my first Shoes application (red shoes, I believe,
http://shoesrb.com/) a couple of months ago on Windows 7. I really like how
easy it is to use. I've written a small app that I use as a front-end to my
Java SW development tasks, such as running maven, subversion, etc. It
consists of 14 .rb files with about 2500 total lines of ruby. It's great,
however, it crashes pretty often with a dialog box saying that the program
stopped in an unexpected way, and if I'm running it from eclipse, I can see
that the crashes stem from a segmentation fault. The problem of course could
be entirely due to a bug within my code, but I wanted to ask if this is a
known issue with Shoes. Are Shoes apps in general known to crash a lot?

Thanks,
Alan.

Re: [shoes] Segmentation Faults

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2011-02-25 @ 18:26
Hey Alan-

tl;dr: Yes, on Windows, we're seeing a lot of segfaults. This is currently
what I'm pouring my life into trying to fix.

Slightly longer and nerdier explanation:

Shoes is written in a lot of C code. This C code works with ruby's internal
stuff, since Ruby is also written in C, and exposes Ruby to you. Shoes was
originally written by a guy named _why, and for Ruby 1.8. We're now running
the project, and since then, Ruby 1.9 is standard.

In ruby 1.9.1, apparently there are issues with threading. With Ruby 1.9.2,
they totally re-did the threading model, and it's much better. So we're
currently in the process of moving Shoes to Ruby 1.9.2.

I've been talking with the new guy on the core Ruby team for windows about
it, and we're working on some solutions. Right now though, you'll see some
instability. This is my #1 priority going forward, though.

-Steve

Re: [shoes] Segmentation Faults

From:
Alan Jelden
Date:
2011-02-25 @ 19:35
Steve,

Thanks for the explanation, and I'm glad to hear that Shoes is actively
being improved. In my experience, Shoes is the easiest toolkit I've ever
used for building GUI applications quickly, so keep up the good work!

Alan.

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 10:26 AM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:

> Hey Alan-
>
> tl;dr: Yes, on Windows, we're seeing a lot of segfaults. This is currently
> what I'm pouring my life into trying to fix.
>
> Slightly longer and nerdier explanation:
>
> Shoes is written in a lot of C code. This C code works with ruby's internal
> stuff, since Ruby is also written in C, and exposes Ruby to you. Shoes was
> originally written by a guy named _why, and for Ruby 1.8. We're now running
> the project, and since then, Ruby 1.9 is standard.
>
> In ruby 1.9.1, apparently there are issues with threading. With Ruby 1.9.2,
> they totally re-did the threading model, and it's much better. So we're
> currently in the process of moving Shoes to Ruby 1.9.2.
>
> I've been talking with the new guy on the core Ruby team for windows about
> it, and we're working on some solutions. Right now though, you'll see some
> instability. This is my #1 priority going forward, though.
>
> -Steve
>

Re: [shoes] Segmentation Faults

From:
Alan Jelden
Date:
2011-08-18 @ 17:12
Hi Steve,

Any target estimate for Shoes 4 release?

Thanks,
Alan.

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Alan Jelden <alan.jelden@gmail.com> wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Thanks for the explanation, and I'm glad to hear that Shoes is actively
> being improved. In my experience, Shoes is the easiest toolkit I've ever
> used for building GUI applications quickly, so keep up the good work!
>
> Alan.
>
>
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 10:26 AM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:
>
>> Hey Alan-
>>
>> tl;dr: Yes, on Windows, we're seeing a lot of segfaults. This is currently
>> what I'm pouring my life into trying to fix.
>>
>> Slightly longer and nerdier explanation:
>>
>> Shoes is written in a lot of C code. This C code works with ruby's
>> internal stuff, since Ruby is also written in C, and exposes Ruby to you.
>> Shoes was originally written by a guy named _why, and for Ruby 1.8. We're
>> now running the project, and since then, Ruby 1.9 is standard.
>>
>> In ruby 1.9.1, apparently there are issues with threading. With Ruby
>> 1.9.2, they totally re-did the threading model, and it's much better. So
>> we're currently in the process of moving Shoes to Ruby 1.9.2.
>>
>> I've been talking with the new guy on the core Ruby team for windows about
>> it, and we're working on some solutions. Right now though, you'll see some
>> instability. This is my #1 priority going forward, though.
>>
>> -Steve
>>
>
>

Re: [shoes] Segmentation Faults

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2011-08-18 @ 17:31
I'm not confident picking a date yet. I'm just starting to dig into exactly
what we'll need to take care of.

With that said, we have a bunch of new activity in the last week, and so I'm
pretty optimistic we'll get a release out in a month or two. But no promises
until we're closer.

Re: [shoes] Segmentation Faults

From:
Alan Jelden
Date:
2011-08-18 @ 18:37
Ok. Thanks.

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:

> I'm not confident picking a date yet. I'm just starting to dig into exactly
> what we'll need to take care of.
>
> With that said, we have a bunch of new activity in the last week, and so
> I'm pretty optimistic we'll get a release out in a month or two. But no
> promises until we're closer.
>