librelist archives

« back to archive

Building Shoes 3 problems.

Building Shoes 3 problems.

From:
Marcus Sharp
Date:
2011-01-28 @ 02:29
Hello,

I hope I'm not out of line email this question to this address.  I followed
the instructions here:


https://github.com/shoes/shoes/wiki/...Shoes-on-Linux<https://github.com/shoes/shoes/wiki/Building-Shoes-on-Linux>

And I don't get errors or anything, but typing "shoes -v" tells me that it
is not installed. I will admit that I don't even know what Rake does.

So, is there something missing from the instructions for Ubuntu? Something
else I should be doing?

Thanks in advance,

--marcus

Re: [shoes] Building Shoes 3 problems.

From:
Cecil Coupe
Date:
2011-01-28 @ 02:44
rake compiles all the source code and copies libraries around so that
shoes lives in the dist/ subdirectory.

For me, that is

ccoupe@twb:~/Projects/shoes$ dist/shoes -v
policeman (0.r1525) [x86_64-linux Ruby1.9.1]


On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 20:29 -0600, Marcus Sharp wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> I hope I'm not out of line email this question to this address.  I
> followed the instructions here:
> 
> https://github.com/shoes/shoes/wiki/...Shoes-on-Linux
> 
> And I don't get errors or anything, but typing "shoes -v" tells me
> that it is not installed. I will admit that I don't even know what
> Rake does.
> 
> So, is there something missing from the instructions for Ubuntu?
> Something else I should be doing?
> 
> Thanks in advance,
> 
> --marcus

Re: [shoes] Building Shoes 3 problems.

From:
Marcus Sharp
Date:
2011-01-28 @ 03:26
Ah, there it is!  Thank you, very much.

--marcus


On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 8:44 PM, Cecil Coupe <ccoupe@cableone.net> wrote:

> rake compiles all the source code and copies libraries around so that
> shoes lives in the dist/ subdirectory.
>
> For me, that is
>
> ccoupe@twb:~/Projects/shoes$ dist/shoes -v
> policeman (0.r1525) [x86_64-linux Ruby1.9.1]
>
>
> On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 20:29 -0600, Marcus Sharp wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I hope I'm not out of line email this question to this address.  I
> > followed the instructions here:
> >
> > https://github.com/shoes/shoes/wiki/...Shoes-on-Linux
> >
> > And I don't get errors or anything, but typing "shoes -v" tells me
> > that it is not installed. I will admit that I don't even know what
> > Rake does.
> >
> > So, is there something missing from the instructions for Ubuntu?
> > Something else I should be doing?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > --marcus
>
>
>

Re: [shoes] Building Shoes 3 problems.

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2011-01-28 @ 03:12
Hey Marcus-

You're not out of line at all! That's what we're here for.

To expand on Cecil's comment just a bit... rake compiles shoes, but it
doesn't automatically put it on your $PATH. So if you just type 'shoes', it
probably won't find it.

You can either directly type './shoes' from within the dist directory, or
copy shoes to somewhere on your $PATH, or add the dist directory to your
PATH. Whichever you prefer. :)

-Steve

Re: [shoes] Building Shoes 3 problems.

From:
yeer kunth
Date:
2011-01-28 @ 14:50
hi,
i would like to share another way.
th

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:

> Hey Marcus-
>
> You're not out of line at all! That's what we're here for.
>
> To expand on Cecil's comment just a bit... rake compiles shoes, but it
> doesn't automatically put it on your $PATH. So if you just type 'shoes', it
> probably won't find it.
>
> You can either directly type './shoes' from within the dist directory, or
> copy shoes to somewhere on your $PATH, or add the dist directory to your
> PATH. Whichever you prefer. :)
>
> -Steve
>
>

Re: [shoes] Building Shoes 3 problems.

From:
yeer kunth
Date:
2011-01-28 @ 14:52
that is setting the alias in the ~/.bashrc
alias shoes="/yourpath/shoes"


On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 10:50 PM, yeer kunth <yeerkunth@gmail.com> wrote:

> hi,
> i would like to share another way.
> th
>
>   On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:
>
>> Hey Marcus-
>>
>> You're not out of line at all! That's what we're here for.
>>
>> To expand on Cecil's comment just a bit... rake compiles shoes, but it
>> doesn't automatically put it on your $PATH. So if you just type 'shoes', it
>> probably won't find it.
>>
>> You can either directly type './shoes' from within the dist directory, or
>> copy shoes to somewhere on your $PATH, or add the dist directory to your
>> PATH. Whichever you prefer. :)
>>
>> -Steve
>>
>>
>

Re: [shoes] Building Shoes 3 problems.

From:
Devyn Cairns
Date:
2011-01-28 @ 20:44
Sure, that works. Personally, when I was on Linux I'd put it in 
/usr/local/etc/shoes.

--
    ~devyn

On 2011-01-28, at 6:52 AM, yeer kunth <yeerkunth@gmail.com> wrote:

> that is setting the alias in the ~/.bashrc 
> alias shoes="/yourpath/shoes"
> 
>  
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 10:50 PM, yeer kunth <yeerkunth@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
> i would like to share another way.
> th
> 
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com> wrote:
> Hey Marcus-
> 
> You're not out of line at all! That's what we're here for.
> 
> To expand on Cecil's comment just a bit... rake compiles shoes, but it 
doesn't automatically put it on your $PATH. So if you just type 'shoes', 
it probably won't find it.
> 
> You can either directly type './shoes' from within the dist directory, 
or copy shoes to somewhere on your $PATH, or add the dist directory to 
your PATH. Whichever you prefer. :)
> 
> -Steve
> 
> 
> 

Re: [shoes] Building Shoes 3 problems.

From:
Cecil Coupe
Date:
2011-01-28 @ 03:52
On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 22:12 -0500, Steve Klabnik wrote:

> 
> 
> You can either directly type './shoes' from within the dist directory,
> or copy shoes to somewhere on your $PATH, or add the dist directory to
> your PATH. Whichever you prefer. :)

I'm going to be pendantic and suggest that you can't copy the dist/shoes
file into an existing $PATH - you have to copy the whole directory which
you don't want to do - that clutters /usr/local/bin or where ever.

You can create a symbolic link however and it works. In my $PATH I have
a /home/ccoupe/bin so 

> ccoupe@twb:~$ cd bin
> ccoupe@twb:~/bin$ ln -s ~/Projects/shoes/dist/shoes .
> ccoupe@twb:~/bin$ ls -l
> total 0
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 ccoupe ccoupe 38 2011-01-27 20:39 shoes -> 
/home/ccoupe/Projects/shoes/dist/shoes
> ccoupe@twb:~/bin$ cd ..
> ccoupe@twb:~$ shoes -v
> shoes policeman (0.r1525) [x86_64-linux Ruby1.9.1]

For many reasons, I would not do this in /usr/local/bin or /usr/bin but 
with a sudo it probably works.

Re: [shoes] Building Shoes 3 problems.

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2011-01-28 @ 06:14
Ah! I'm too used to my Mac, where it's just a .app, or building hackety,
where it's all in one .run. Nice catch.

Re: [shoes] Building Shoes 3 problems.

From:
Cecil Coupe
Date:
2011-01-28 @ 06:35
OSX is wonderful about at hiding the Unix FS with xxx.app and the
associated plist. For the end user, its great but xxx.app is a
directory, you can cd into at the terminal, its just files and plists
inside the app facade. A bit of Finder/Desktop magic but all is revealed
in the terminal command line.

On Fri, 2011-01-28 at 01:14 -0500, Steve Klabnik wrote:
> Ah! I'm too used to my Mac, where it's just a .app, or building
> hackety, where it's all in one .run. Nice catch.