Should VLC support be removed?

Should VLC support be removed?

Zachary Scott
2011-01-16 @ 05:07
Hi all,

I've been digging through the shoes source a bit, specifically the build stuff.

There's a few bugs related to building in vlc support (with and
without), and personally have never even used this feature. Mostly
because it requires an outdated version of vlc which I haven't gotten
ahold of yet. Also, since I haven't tried this out for myself I'm
wondering what everyone thinks of it?

I'm on the fence, but how does everyone else feel about it?

Zachary Scott

Re: [shoes] Should VLC support be removed?

Cecil Coupe
2011-01-16 @ 05:53
The VLC API has changed a lot since Shoes/Raisins. If a Linux user
installs the VLC Application those libraries won't work with
Shoes/Policeman. If you install the VLC library that Shoes want, you can
break the VLC application. Been there, done that. Might fark an OSX or a
Windows system with installing old VLC libraries in the system if you
try. Linux for sure.

Unlike the binary gem SqLite3, Shoes does not include a Shoes only
version of VLC libraries The Shoes video widget compiles/links/load with
whatever it can find in the destination system -- very un-Shoes-like.

If you dig a little into VLC you'll see why _why made that choice. A lot
of issues with creating a Shoes only VLC library. Video support in Red
Shoes is end-of-life. IMHO.

Perhaps the Video widget can live again in Green or Blue shoes

On Sun, 2011-01-16 at 00:07 -0500, Zachary Scott wrote:
> Hi all,
> There's a few bugs related to building in vlc support (with and
> without), and personally have never even used this feature. Mostly
> because it requires an outdated version of vlc which I haven't gotten
> ahold of yet. Also, since I haven't tried this out for myself I'm
> wondering what everyone thinks of it?
> Should VLC be gutted in favor of a leaner, more "builder friendly" shoes source?
> I'm on the fence, but how does everyone else feel about it?

Re: [shoes] Should VLC support be removed?

Zachary Scott
2011-01-17 @ 08:21
Cecil I'm with you, and I had a spare minute to set this up for testing:

So far, everything builds (on linux) with VIDEO flag or no, and when
you try to run "simple-video" sample, you just get a "no video support
error"

This works for me, we can leave the video docs in tact, just make a
note that it's depreciated maybe rescue on the VideoError (i think?)
along with a notice.

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 12:53 AM, Cecil Coupe <ccoupe@cableone.net> wrote:
> The VLC API has changed a lot since Shoes/Raisins. If a Linux user
> installs the VLC Application those libraries won't work with
> Shoes/Policeman. If you install the VLC library that Shoes want, you can
> break the VLC application. Been there, done that. Might fark an OSX or a
> Windows system with installing old VLC libraries in the system if you
> try. Linux for sure.
> Unlike the binary gem SqLite3, Shoes does not include a Shoes only
> version of VLC libraries The Shoes video widget compiles/links/load with
> whatever it can find in the destination system -- very un-Shoes-like.
> If you dig a little into VLC you'll see why _why made that choice. A lot
> of issues with creating a Shoes only VLC library. Video support in Red
> Shoes is end-of-life. IMHO.
> Perhaps the Video widget can live again in Green or Blue shoes
> On Sun, 2011-01-16 at 00:07 -0500, Zachary Scott wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I've been digging through the shoes source a bit, specifically the build stuff.
>> There's a few bugs related to building in vlc support (with and
>> without), and personally have never even used this feature. Mostly
>> because it requires an outdated version of vlc which I haven't gotten
>> ahold of yet. Also, since I haven't tried this out for myself I'm
>> wondering what everyone thinks of it?
>> Should VLC be gutted in favor of a leaner, more "builder friendly"
shoes source?
>> I'm on the fence, but how does everyone else feel about it?

Zachary Scott

Re: [shoes] Should VLC support be removed?

Cecil Coupe
2011-01-17 @ 09:29
Zack,

I looked over your rake/make changes. Should work. A minor worry : Red
Shoes is kind of fragile and when we remove any trace of VLC from the
rake/make then (if ever) some body wants to try to implement VLC they
have to start from ground zero. It's maybe a style thing. I would just
comment out the lines so the bread crumbs are still in the file.

FWIW there are 3 versions of the VLC api, 0.8, 0.9, and 1.0 so the
breadcrumbs are incomplete but still, I hate to discard hints to future
developers.

On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 03:21 -0500, Zachary Scott wrote:
> Cecil I'm with you, and I had a spare minute to set this up for testing:
> https://github.com/zacharyscott/shoes/compare/vlcbegone
> So far, everything builds (on linux) with VIDEO flag or no, and when
> you try to run "simple-video" sample, you just get a "no video support
> error"
> This works for me, we can leave the video docs in tact, just make a
> note that it's depreciated maybe rescue on the VideoError (i think?)
> along with a notice.
> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 12:53 AM, Cecil Coupe <ccoupe@cableone.net> wrote:
> > The VLC API has changed a lot since Shoes/Raisins. If a Linux user
> > installs the VLC Application those libraries won't work with
> > Shoes/Policeman. If you install the VLC library that Shoes want, you can
> > break the VLC application. Been there, done that. Might fark an OSX or a
> > Windows system with installing old VLC libraries in the system if you
> > try. Linux for sure.
> > Unlike the binary gem SqLite3, Shoes does not include a Shoes only
> > version of VLC libraries The Shoes video widget compiles/links/load with
> > whatever it can find in the destination system -- very un-Shoes-like.
> > If you dig a little into VLC you'll see why _why made that choice. A lot
> > of issues with creating a Shoes only VLC library. Video support in Red
> > Shoes is end-of-life. IMHO.
> > Perhaps the Video widget can live again in Green or Blue shoes
> > On Sun, 2011-01-16 at 00:07 -0500, Zachary Scott wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I've been digging through the shoes source a bit, specifically the
build stuff.
> >>
> >> There's a few bugs related to building in vlc support (with and
> >> without), and personally have never even used this feature. Mostly
> >> because it requires an outdated version of vlc which I haven't gotten
> >> ahold of yet. Also, since I haven't tried this out for myself I'm
> >> wondering what everyone thinks of it?
> >>
> >> Should VLC be gutted in favor of a leaner, more "builder friendly"
shoes source?
> >>
> >> I'm on the fence, but how does everyone else feel about it?
> >>

Re: [shoes] Should VLC support be removed?

Steve Klabnik
2011-01-17 @ 13:42
> A minor worry : Red
> Shoes is kind of fragile and when we remove any trace of VLC from the
> rake/make then (if ever) some body wants to try to implement VLC they
> have to start from ground zero. It's maybe a style thing. I would just
> comment out the lines so the bread crumbs are still in the file.

This is what git is for.

Oh, and I'm all for removing stuff that doesn't work. Video can be brought
back someday.

Re: [shoes] Should VLC support be removed?

Ender
2011-01-17 @ 13:57
Am 17.01.2011 14:42, schrieb Steve Klabnik:
>> A minor worry : Red
>> Shoes is kind of fragile and when we remove any trace of VLC from the
>> rake/make then (if ever) some body wants to try to implement VLC they
>> have to start from ground zero. It's maybe a style thing. I would just
>> comment out the lines so the bread crumbs are still in the file.
> This is what git is for.
> Oh, and I'm all for removing stuff that doesn't work. Video can be brought
> back someday.

Would be great if the linux package support were up2date.
Maybe this could help:

ftp://ftp.stw-bonn.de/froscon/2010/hs3/h264/hs3_-_2010-08-22_10%3A00_-_en_-_cross_distribution_packaging_-_jan_weber.mp4