Shoes packager URLs

Shoes packager URLs

Devyn Cairns
2010-08-27 @ 19:29
Cecil mentioned (again) that the website URLs need to be set up for OS X and
Linux. So, here we go.

In particular, I need to know all of the

http://shoes.heroku.com/pkg/<version>/<platform>/(shoes | shoes-novideo) =>
url destination; direct link to the appropriate setup file

I already have the ones for Windows. Thanks in advance.

~devyn

Packager bug fixes

Cecil Coupe
2010-08-28 @ 06:39
I fixed some some GUI error/exception handling in lib/shoes/pack.rb when
the interwebs fail. Also added a quit button to the final screen of the
packager.

Yes, no, it wasn't pretty.

Re: [shoes] Shoes packager URLs

Cecil Coupe
2010-08-28 @ 04:14
On Fri, 2010-08-27 at 12:29 -0700, Devyn Cairns wrote:
> Cecil mentioned (again) that the website URLs need to be set up for OS
> X and Linux. So, here we go.
> In particular, I need to know all of the
> http://shoes.heroku.com/pkg/<version>/<platform>/(shoes |
> shoes-novideo) => url destination; direct link to the appropriate
> setup file
> I already have the ones for Windows. Thanks in advance.
>     ~devyn
The linux mappings (32 bit Ubuntu):

http://shoes.heroku.com/ppkg/policeman/linux/shoes ==>

http://shoes.heroku.com/ppkg/policeman/linux/shoes-novideo ==>

Once thats working, then ashbb can fix the linux net install script to
match the rin-shun url above and generate & upload a new linux
Shoes3.run to replace the one that is there. And commit the change to
git and pull it and merge. A lot of trouble for a bug fix.

I'm mulling over a better scheme for linux net install/download in all
it's variations (any *nix /bin/sh scripters with non Ubuntu-32 Shoes
that want to help would be very appreciated).

--Cecil

Re: [shoes] Shoes packager URLs

Devyn Cairns
2010-08-28 @ 19:57
Alright, that's done. Try it out. OS X?

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 9:14 PM, Cecil Coupe <ccoupe@cableone.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-08-27 at 12:29 -0700, Devyn Cairns wrote:
> > Cecil mentioned (again) that the website URLs need to be set up for OS
> > X and Linux. So, here we go.
> > In particular, I need to know all of the
> > http://shoes.heroku.com/pkg/<version>/<platform>/(shoes |
> > shoes-novideo) => url destination; direct link to the appropriate
> > setup file
> > I already have the ones for Windows. Thanks in advance.
> > --
> >     ~devyn
> The linux mappings (32 bit Ubuntu):
> http://shoes.heroku.com/ppkg/policeman/linux/shoes ==>
> http://www.rin-shun.com/shoes/shoes3.run
> http://shoes.heroku.com/ppkg/policeman/linux/shoes-novideo ==>
> http://www.rin-shun.com/shoes/shoes3.run
> Once thats working, then ashbb can fix the linux net install script to
> match the rin-shun url above and generate & upload a new linux
> Shoes3.run to replace the one that is there. And commit the change to
> git and pull it and merge. A lot of trouble for a bug fix.
> I'm mulling over a better scheme for linux net install/download in all
> it's variations (any *nix /bin/sh scripters with non Ubuntu-32 Shoes
> that want to help would be very appreciated).
> --Cecil

~devyn

Re: [shoes] Shoes packager URLs

Cecil Coupe
2010-08-29 @ 02:56
On Sat, 2010-08-28 at 12:57 -0700, Devyn Cairns wrote:
> Alright, that's done. Try it out. OS X?
It works for linux now! Yay! Thanks Devyn.

I just found a new bug in linux packaging to fix. Sigh.
When I package up one of my scripts, it's much larger than just the
addition of the shoes3.run and my KB of text and it doesn't run.
$ sh SplitWXR-0.3.run
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing
Splitwxr0.3.........................................................
[...]
/tmp/selfgz27777/shoes-bin: error while loading shared
libraries: /tmp/selfgz27777/libruby.so.1.9: file too short

On the third hand, I can test.

Re: [shoes] Shoes packager URLs

Cecil Coupe
2010-08-30 @ 04:56
On Sat, 2010-08-28 at 12:57 -0700, Devyn Cairns wrote:
> Alright, that's done. Try it out. OS X?
For osx (10.6 intel) I'm guessing its

Mockup of a packager screen. Feed back desired

Cecil Coupe
2010-08-30 @ 05:35
I've created a slightly different GUI for the packaging screen, as I
think it should be done, It reflects current Policeman status as I know
it. It's only a mockup, a proposal. Apologies if the 45KB attachment
breaks the list rules.

Re: [shoes] Mockup of a packager screen. Feed back desired

Vojtěch Šalbaba
2010-08-30 @ 11:29
Pretty. Suggestions:
I don't know about "File to share"... It is not completely intuitive.. Maybe
"File to package"?
the When needed text is an info. Make it stand out - maybe different
background and little (i) icon?
The radiogroups should be in something structured, possibly a table.
OK and Cancel buttons should be in lower right corner.

regards
  Vojtěch Šalbaba

2010/8/30 Cecil Coupe <ccoupe@cableone.net>

> I've created a slightly different GUI for the packaging screen, as I
> think it should be done, It reflects current Policeman status as I know
> it. It's only a mockup, a proposal. Apologies if the 45KB attachment
> breaks the list rules.

Re: [shoes] Mockup of a packager screen. Feed back desired

ashbb
2010-08-30 @ 12:42
Hi Cecil,

Good work!
I like your proposal and I think it's better than current GUI screen. ;-)

Could you upload the code into your github repo (or somewhere)?
I'd like to download and try to do some tests for packager.

ashbb

Re: [shoes] Mockup of a packager screen. Feed back desired

Devyn Cairns
2010-08-30 @ 22:13
Interesting. I like it. I think the radio buttons need to be lined up a bit
more, though, and the big block of text should be edited a little.

Perhaps put "File to share" and "Packaging options" in bold? Also, I agree,
"file to share" should be "file to package".

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 10:35 PM, Cecil Coupe <ccoupe@cableone.net> wrote:

> I've created a slightly different GUI for the packaging screen, as I
> think it should be done, It reflects current Policeman status as I know
> it. It's only a mockup, a proposal. Apologies if the 45KB attachment
> breaks the list rules.

~devyn

Re: [shoes] Mockup of a packager screen. Feed back desired

Cecil Coupe
2010-08-31 @ 03:36
Thanks for the feedback. folks! I ditched the radio buttons and went
with list_box in their place because radios are a pain to work with and
the string constants inside are useful. I rewrote the option explanation
to match with with the listbox text.

Since there were no complaints (yet) about including a screen shot
attachment, I've attached the latest screen shot for more comments.

Ashbb, It's not commit ready. The code to match the gui controls has not
been modified. If you or others want to inspect it I've put it up at
http://www.mvmanila.com/public/mockup-pack.rb which you put in the
dist/lib/shoes/ as pack.rb to test. You'll notice that placement is by
margin_right pixels because I don't want to to figure how to get shoes
to do a proper table layout and the _why magic is very deep in pack.rb

You also need a minor tweek to /dist/lib/shoes to make the pack window
larger and resize-able which I did commit to my fork at

I do like the radio buttons better. Visually, the list_boxes seem so
big, annoying and demanding. It's not that many lines of code (near line
340 in mockup-pack.rb) If someone would improve the layout issues in a
platform independent, non pixel manner, that  would be seriously cool.
On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 15:13 -0700, Devyn Cairns wrote:
> Interesting. I like it. I think the radio buttons need to be lined up
> a bit more, though, and the big block of text should be edited a
> little.
> Perhaps put "File to share" and "Packaging options" in bold? Also, I
> agree, "file to share" should be "file to package".
> On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 10:35 PM, Cecil Coupe <ccoupe@cableone.net>
> wrote:
>         I've created a slightly different GUI for the packaging
>         screen, as I
>         think it should be done, It reflects current Policeman status
>         as I know
>         it. It's only a mockup, a proposal. Apologies if the 45KB
>         attachment
>         breaks the list rules.
>     ~devyn

Re: [shoes] Mockup of a packager screen. Feed back desired

Devyn Cairns
2010-08-31 @ 22:42
On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 8:36 PM, Cecil Coupe <ccoupe@cableone.net> wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback. folks! I ditched the radio buttons and went
> with list_box in their place because radios are a pain to work with and
> the string constants inside are useful. I rewrote the option explanation
> to match with with the listbox text.
> Since there were no complaints (yet) about including a screen shot
> attachment, I've attached the latest screen shot for more comments.
> Ashbb, It's not commit ready. The code to match the gui controls has not
> been modified. If you or others want to inspect it I've put it up at
> http://www.mvmanila.com/public/mockup-pack.rb which you put in the
> dist/lib/shoes/ as pack.rb to test. You'll notice that placement is by
> margin_right pixels because I don't want to to figure how to get shoes
> to do a proper table layout and the _why magic is very deep in pack.rb

Stacks and flows. People often forget, but yes, the answer really is that
simple.

> You also need a minor tweek to /dist/lib/shoes to make the pack window
> larger and resize-able which I did commit to my fork at
> http://github.com/ccoupe/shoes/commit/63fcc55deb4f2bec0c5936f24897f3d33988533b
> I do like the radio buttons better. Visually, the list_boxes seem so
> big, annoying and demanding. It's not that many lines of code (near line
> 340 in mockup-pack.rb) If someone would improve the layout issues in a
> platform independent, non pixel manner, that  would be seriously cool.
> On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 15:13 -0700, Devyn Cairns wrote:
> > Interesting. I like it. I think the radio buttons need to be lined up
> > a bit more, though, and the big block of text should be edited a
> > little.
> > Perhaps put "File to share" and "Packaging options" in bold? Also, I
> > agree, "file to share" should be "file to package".
> > On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 10:35 PM, Cecil Coupe <ccoupe@cableone.net>
> > wrote:
> >         I've created a slightly different GUI for the packaging
> >         screen, as I
> >         think it should be done, It reflects current Policeman status
> >         as I know
> >         it. It's only a mockup, a proposal. Apologies if the 45KB
> >         attachment
> >         breaks the list rules.
> > --
> >     ~devyn

~devyn

Re: [shoes] Mockup of a packager screen. Feed back desired

Cecil Coupe
2010-09-01 @ 04:46
On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 15:42 -0700, Devyn Cairns wrote:
> Stacks and flows. People often forget, but yes, the answer really is
> that simple.

Unless you want a gridbag layout or table layout. Shoes was not created
for that level of layout. No doubt with 4 more levels of flows and
stacks, widths and margins, it can be done. Not worth my time on a
screen very few people will see or use, and if they do find it, they
won't care care if the list_boxes don't fit a perfect grid layout.

I didn't forget about flows and stacks. I chose not to seek perfection.
Others can do better than I and I hope they do, and they document it,
please! Table layout is not part of Shoes (I actually tried to write a
table widget once). The time I spent forcing shoes to do the right thing
would have been better spent using rubyQt or WxRuby to get a working
app.

Every tool has it's limitation and trade-offs and those are relative to
person who attempts to use them.

Re: [shoes] Mockup of a packager screen. Feed back desired

Devyn Cairns
2010-08-31 @ 22:42
On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 8:36 PM, Cecil Coupe <ccoupe@cableone.net> wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback. folks! I ditched the radio buttons and went
> with list_box in their place because radios are a pain to work with and
> the string constants inside are useful. I rewrote the option explanation
> to match with with the listbox text.
> Since there were no complaints (yet) about including a screen shot
> attachment, I've attached the latest screen shot for more comments.
> Ashbb, It's not commit ready. The code to match the gui controls has not
> been modified. If you or others want to inspect it I've put it up at
> http://www.mvmanila.com/public/mockup-pack.rb which you put in the
> dist/lib/shoes/ as pack.rb to test. You'll notice that placement is by
> margin_right pixels because I don't want to to figure how to get shoes
> to do a proper table layout and the _why magic is very deep in pack.rb

Stacks and flows. People often forget, but yes, the answer really is that
simple.

> You also need a minor tweek to /dist/lib/shoes to make the pack window
> larger and resize-able which I did commit to my fork at
> I do like the radio buttons better. Visually, the list_boxes seem so
> big, annoying and demanding. It's not that many lines of code (near line
> 340 in mockup-pack.rb) If someone would improve the layout issues in a
> platform independent, non pixel manner, that  would be seriously cool.
> On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 15:13 -0700, Devyn Cairns wrote:
> > Interesting. I like it. I think the radio buttons need to be lined up
> > a bit more, though, and the big block of text should be edited a
> > little.
> > Perhaps put "File to share" and "Packaging options" in bold? Also, I
> > agree, "file to share" should be "file to package".
> > On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 10:35 PM, Cecil Coupe <ccoupe@cableone.net>
> > wrote:
> >         I've created a slightly different GUI for the packaging
> >         screen, as I
> >         think it should be done, It reflects current Policeman status
> >         as I know
> >         it. It's only a mockup, a proposal. Apologies if the 45KB
> >         attachment
> >         breaks the list rules.
> > --
> >     ~devyn

~devyn

Re: [shoes] Mockup of a packager screen. Feed back desired

ashbb
2010-09-01 @ 11:02
Hi Cecil,

I downloaded your mockup-pack.rb and modified packager-window-size as you
mentioned.
Then it works very well on Windows 7 and Ubuntu (VirtualBox on Windows).

I think when you (or others) revise pack.rb to match the gui controls, we
can get a new packager!

ashbb

Re: [shoes] Mockup of a packager screen. Feed back desired

Zachary Scott
2010-09-01 @ 16:02
Stoked to see some progress on this!

Keep up the good work everyone

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 7:02 AM, ashbb <ashbbb@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Cecil,
> I downloaded your mockup-pack.rb and modified packager-window-size as you
> mentioned.
> Then it works very well on Windows 7 and Ubuntu (VirtualBox on Windows).
> I think when you (or others) revise pack.rb to match the gui controls, we
> can get a new packager!
> ashbb

Zachary Scott

Re: [shoes] Mockup of a packager screen. Feed back desired

Zachary Scott
2010-09-01 @ 16:02
Stoked to see some progress on this!

Keep up the good work everyone

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 7:02 AM, ashbb <ashbbb@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Cecil,
> I downloaded your mockup-pack.rb and modified packager-window-size as you
> mentioned.
> Then it works very well on Windows 7 and Ubuntu (VirtualBox on Windows).
> I think when you (or others) revise pack.rb to match the gui controls, we
> can get a new packager!
> ashbb

Zachary Scott

The closer I get the farther I am

Cecil Coupe
2010-09-02 @ 02:08
So I started writing and testing the new packager (having got a layout
that doesn't need pixel counting adjustments). The easiest thing to test
is "windows, download if needed" which failed to download, nor spit out
an error message. Huh?

Turns out asking for
> http://shoes.heroku.com/pkg/policeman/win32/shoes in a browser
gets me a line of text
'http://www.rin-shun.com/shoes/pkg/policeman/win32/latest_shoes.exe'
It should have sent my browser (and shoes downloader) a http redirect, not
a line of text of with html

Could the shoes.heroku.com webmaster fix that for once and for again. Please?

On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 15:13 -0700, Devyn Cairns wrote:
> Interesting. I like it. I think the radio buttons need to be lined up
> a bit more, though, and the big block of text should be edited a
> little.
> Perhaps put "File to share" and "Packaging options" in bold? Also, I
> agree, "file to share" should be "file to package".
> On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 10:35 PM, Cecil Coupe <ccoupe@cableone.net>
> wrote:
>         I've created a slightly different GUI for the packaging
>         screen, as I
>         think it should be done, It reflects current Policeman status
>         as I know
>         it. It's only a mockup, a proposal. Apologies if the 45KB
>         attachment
>         breaks the list rules.
>     ~devyn

Re: [shoes] The closer I get the farther I am

Devyn Cairns
2010-09-08 @ 06:30
On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 7:08 PM, Cecil Coupe <ccoupe@cableone.net> wrote:

> So I started writing and testing the new packager (having got a layout
> that doesn't need pixel counting adjustments). The easiest thing to test
> is "windows, download if needed" which failed to download, nor spit out
> an error message. Huh?
> Turns out asking for
> > http://shoes.heroku.com/pkg/policeman/win32/shoes in a browser
> gets me a line of text '
> http://www.rin-shun.com/shoes/pkg/policeman/win32/latest_shoes.exe'
> It should have sent my browser (and shoes downloader) a http redirect, not
> a line of text of with html

It's actually not HTML, just text/plain.

> Could the shoes.heroku.com webmaster fix that for once and for again.
> Please?
> On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 15:13 -0700, Devyn Cairns wrote:
> > Interesting. I like it. I think the radio buttons need to be lined up
> > a bit more, though, and the big block of text should be edited a
> > little.
> > Perhaps put "File to share" and "Packaging options" in bold? Also, I
> > agree, "file to share" should be "file to package".
> > On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 10:35 PM, Cecil Coupe <ccoupe@cableone.net>
> > wrote:
> >         I've created a slightly different GUI for the packaging
> >         screen, as I
> >         think it should be done, It reflects current Policeman status
> >         as I know
> >         it. It's only a mockup, a proposal. Apologies if the 45KB
> >         attachment
> >         breaks the list rules.
> > --
> >     ~devyn

~devyn

Re: [shoes] The closer I get the farther I am

i5m
2010-09-02 @ 09:07
That's always been the way it's worked. It's never been a redirect, rather a
line of text that Shoes reads
-----------------------
i5m.co.uk
GPG Key: 0xA18A602B

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 3:08 AM, Cecil Coupe <ccoupe@cableone.net> wrote:

> So I started writing and testing the new packager (having got a layout
> that doesn't need pixel counting adjustments). The easiest thing to test
> is "windows, download if needed" which failed to download, nor spit out
> an error message. Huh?
> Turns out asking for
> > http://shoes.heroku.com/pkg/policeman/win32/shoes in a browser
> gets me a line of text '
> http://www.rin-shun.com/shoes/pkg/policeman/win32/latest_shoes.exe'
> It should have sent my browser (and shoes downloader) a http redirect, not
> a line of text of with html
> Could the shoes.heroku.com webmaster fix that for once and for again.
> Please?
> On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 15:13 -0700, Devyn Cairns wrote:
> > Interesting. I like it. I think the radio buttons need to be lined up
> > a bit more, though, and the big block of text should be edited a
> > little.
> > Perhaps put "File to share" and "Packaging options" in bold? Also, I
> > agree, "file to share" should be "file to package".
> > On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 10:35 PM, Cecil Coupe <ccoupe@cableone.net>
> > wrote:
> >         I've created a slightly different GUI for the packaging
> >         screen, as I
> >         think it should be done, It reflects current Policeman status
> >         as I know
> >         it. It's only a mockup, a proposal. Apologies if the 45KB
> >         attachment
> >         breaks the list rules.
> > --
> >     ~devyn

Re: [shoes] The closer I get the farther I am

Cecil Coupe
2010-09-03 @ 00:23
On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 10:07 +0100, i5m wrote:
> That's always been the way it's worked. It's never been a redirect,
> rather a line of text that Shoes reads

I am corrected.  Turns out, ashbb has some windows only code in
packaging exe' - download if needed. Pack.rb around line 110 is an
attempt to execute
	`.\\shoes-stub-inject.exe #{script.gsub('/', "\\")}`

I'll let him fix it, it must be there for a reason.