librelist archives

« back to archive

`No, download Shoes if it's absent` option is now available on Windows

`No, download Shoes if it's absent` option is now available on Windows

From:
ashbb
Date:
2010-08-12 @ 08:01
Hi all,

At last, I found a solution (workaround) to install Shoes via Internet.
Look at this commit:
http://github.com/ashbb/shoes/commit/051236b07330a708fc9316a3b742d2cbe805a596

I've uploaded the latest Policeman for Windows.
Now you can download 0.r1503 from here: http://shoes.heroku.com/downloads

Try to confirm `shoes -p` with `No, download Shoes if it's absent` option to
create Windows .exe file.

This solution is not for cross-platform, only for Windows, though...

BTW, this post is continued from `Re: Packager` started by Roger.
http://librelist.com/browser//shoes/2010/8/6/re-packager

At first, I thought that shoes-stub-inject.exe was a tool to create
blank.exe.
But it was not. :-P

ashbb

Re: [shoes] `No, download Shoes if it's absent` option is now available on Windows

From:
Cecil Coupe
Date:
2010-08-12 @ 08:28
I see you understand the problem. Should executables be at heroku or
rin-shun? 

On Thu, 2010-08-12 at 17:01 +0900, ashbb wrote:
> Hi all,
> 
> At last, I found a solution (workaround) to install Shoes via
> Internet.
> Look at this commit:
> http://github.com/ashbb/shoes/commit/051236b07330a708fc9316a3b742d2cbe805a596
> 
> I've uploaded the latest Policeman for Windows.
> Now you can download 0.r1503 from here:
> http://shoes.heroku.com/downloads
> 
> Try to confirm `shoes -p` with `No, download Shoes if it's absent`
> option to create Windows .exe file.
> 
> This solution is not for cross-platform, only for Windows, though...
> 
> BTW, this post is continued from `Re: Packager` started by Roger.
> http://librelist.com/browser//shoes/2010/8/6/re-packager
> 
> At first, I thought that shoes-stub-inject.exe was a tool to create
> blank.exe.
> But it was not. :-P
> 
> ashbb

Re: [shoes] `No, download Shoes if it's absent` option is nowavailable on Windows

From:
Roger Lovelock
Date:
2010-08-12 @ 08:46
Sorry, I'm a bit confused if this problem is fixed now - should I be 
downloading 0.r1503 to give it a try (and provide feedback) or still be 
waiting?
Roger

--------------------------------------------------
From: "Cecil Coupe" <ccoupe@cableone.net>
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2010 6:28 PM
To: <shoes@librelist.com>
Subject: Re: [shoes] `No, download Shoes if it's absent` option is 
nowavailable on Windows

> I see you understand the problem. Should executables be at heroku or
> rin-shun?
>
> On Thu, 2010-08-12 at 17:01 +0900, ashbb wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> At last, I found a solution (workaround) to install Shoes via
>> Internet.
>> Look at this commit:
>> http://github.com/ashbb/shoes/commit/051236b07330a708fc9316a3b742d2cbe805a596
>>
>> I've uploaded the latest Policeman for Windows.
>> Now you can download 0.r1503 from here:
>> http://shoes.heroku.com/downloads
>>
>> Try to confirm `shoes -p` with `No, download Shoes if it's absent`
>> option to create Windows .exe file.
>>
>> This solution is not for cross-platform, only for Windows, though...
>>
>> BTW, this post is continued from `Re: Packager` started by Roger.
>> http://librelist.com/browser//shoes/2010/8/6/re-packager
>>
>> At first, I thought that shoes-stub-inject.exe was a tool to create
>> blank.exe.
>> But it was not. :-P
>>
>> ashbb
>
>
> 

Re: [shoes] `No, download Shoes if it's absent` option is nowavailable on Windows

From:
ashbb
Date:
2010-08-12 @ 08:50
Hi Roger,

Please try to confirm with 0.r1503.

Sorry, my poor English. :-P

ashbb

Re: [shoes] `No, download Shoes if it's absent` option isnowavailable on Windows

From:
Roger Lovelock
Date:
2010-08-12 @ 11:13
Have installed 1503 - the Shoes program itself (with the choices of 
running a shoes program, packaging or reading the manual) when run as the 
last step of the install had all sorts of flashing going on under Vista 
(not aero - just vista standard). However, that doesn't seem to be an 
on-going problem, as when I set Shoes 1503 up as a shortcut on my desktop 
I no longer got any 'flashing' (a bit of a puzzle). 

Noticed that when running the packager from the Shoes program itself I got
no choices - had always to produce a .shy file - but when I ran the 
packager stand-alone from my All Programs menu I got all the options of 
.shy, .exe, Windows, OSX, with/without etc etc - just wondered whether it 
would be better for the packager option on the Shoes executable to be the 
same.

Anyway - the good news - after cleaning out all traces of Shoes from my XP
machine I copied across my test program 'download shoes if it's absent' 
and it worked perfectly after downloading and setting up Shoes,  apart 
from one small anomaly - which I also noticed with my install of Shoes 
1503 on my Vista machine - the copy of 'latest_shoes' in the .shoes folder
was not set up as in the previous version of Shoes that I installed - does
this mean that I will always need to download Shoes over the net rather 
than using a local copy if I take the option 'Yes I want Shoes included 
...'?

Anyway - main objective is achieved thanks,  - one last question - I like 
the manual pages (apart from the fact that some things like Shoes.setup 
don't seem to get a mention) - and I know there is a text copy in the 
Shoes folder - but I'd love to be able to print it off in the same format 
as shown on the screen - any simple way to do it?

Roger


From: ashbb 
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2010 6:50 PM
To: shoes@librelist.com 
Subject: Re: [shoes] `No, download Shoes if it's absent` option 
isnowavailable on Windows


Hi Roger,

Please try to confirm with 0.r1503.

Sorry, my poor English. :-P

ashbb

Re: [shoes] `No, download Shoes if it's absent` option isnowavailable on Windows

From:
ashbb
Date:
2010-08-12 @ 13:18
Hi Roger,

> when I set Shoes 1503 up as a shortcut on my desktop I no longer got
> any 'flashing' (a bit of a puzzle).
Wow, really? Good news. But why?... I can't understand...

> Noticed that when running the packager from the Shoes program itself
> I got no choices - had always to produce a .shy file...
Yeah, Shoes has two packager programs now.
They are not the same one. :-P

> Shoes 1503 on my Vista machine - the copy of 'latest_shoes' in the
> .shoes folder was not set up as in the previous version of Shoes that
> I installed - does this mean that I will always need to download
> Shoes over the net rather than using a local copy?
No.
In the case of network installing, the latest Shoes will be as the name
`shoes-setup.exe` under TMP directory (in my case c:\WINDOWS\Temp), not
under .shoes directory.

>  I'd love to be able to print it off in the same format as shown
> on the screen - any simple way to do it?
Good question!
Try to do `shoes -h`. You can find `shoes --manual-html DIRECTORY` option.
;-)

Cheers,
ashbb

Re: [shoes] `No, download Shoes if it's absent` option isnowavailableon Windows

From:
Roger Lovelock
Date:
2010-08-12 @ 22:26
Hi Ashbb,
    Thanks for the reply. I understand why there is no need for 
'latest_shoes' on the network install as this will usually be a 'user' 
machine, not a 'developer' - so no need for any 'packaging' setup. What 
concerned me more was the fact that when I installed 1503 on my 
development machine from my manually downloaded copy of 1503 it did not 
setup a 'latest_shoes' (as far as I can tell) for use in packaging on my 
development machine when I choose the option to include Shoes in the .exe.
The install did set up a .shoes folder, with 2 sub-folders (+cache and 
policeman), under policeman was a win32 folder, both +cache and win32 were
empty.
    `shoes --manual-html DIRECTORY` option worked well for the 
documentation - thanks.
   Roger


From: ashbb 
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2010 11:18 PM
To: shoes@librelist.com 
Subject: Re: [shoes] `No, download Shoes if it's absent` option 
isnowavailableon Windows


Hi Roger,

> when I set Shoes 1503 up as a shortcut on my desktop I no longer got 
> any 'flashing' (a bit of a puzzle). 
Wow, really? Good news. But why?... I can't understand...

> Noticed that when running the packager from the Shoes program itself 
> I got no choices - had always to produce a .shy file...
Yeah, Shoes has two packager programs now.
They are not the same one. :-P

> Shoes 1503 on my Vista machine - the copy of 'latest_shoes' in the 
> .shoes folder was not set up as in the previous version of Shoes that 
> I installed - does this mean that I will always need to download 
> Shoes over the net rather than using a local copy?
No.
In the case of network installing, the latest Shoes will be as the name 
`shoes-setup.exe` under TMP directory (in my case c:\WINDOWS\Temp), not 
under .shoes directory.

>Â  I'd love to be able to print it off in the same format as shown 
> on the screen - any simple way to do it?
Good question!
Try to do `shoes -h`. You can find `shoes --manual-html DIRECTORY` option. ;-)

Cheers,
ashbb

Re: [shoes] `No, download Shoes if it's absent` option is now available on Windows

From:
ashbb
Date:
2010-08-12 @ 09:25
Hi Cecil,

> Should executables be at heroku or rin-shun?
Good point! :)

Heroku (or Shoes official site) is best, I agree.

But _why's code assumes the same host where the executable file is stored.

Now in Heroku, shoes.heroku.com/pkg/policeman/linux/shoes refers to not the
same host (shoes.heroku.com), but the rin-shun.com.

So, have to improve (rewrite) platform/msw/stub.c.

Look at line 133-149:
http://github.com/ashbb/shoes/blob/master/platform/msw/stub.c#L133

I think it's not so difficult. But I need more learning to write the C code.
:-P

ashbb

Re: [shoes] `No, download Shoes if it's absent` option is now available on Windows

From:
ashbb
Date:
2010-08-12 @ 09:26
Oops, a typo.


shoes.heroku.com/pkg/policeman/win32/shoes<http://shoes.heroku.com/pkg/policeman/linux/shoes>is
correct.

ashbb