Shoes Gem

Shoes Gem

ashbb
2010-06-03 @ 15:08
Hi all,

I have tried to make a Shoes Gem for Windows and uploaded into RubyGems.org.
This is a purely-experimental trial version. Just an idea. ;-)

If you have Windows PC and have some time, please try to do the following:

- gem update --system
- gem install shoesgem
- ruby your_shoes_app.rb

If you have good luck, you can see your Shoes app launches.

**NOTE**: before run your app, you have to add the following two lines on
the head of the code.

SHOES_APP = File.expand_path(__FILE__)
    require 'shoes'

Look at a little information: http://github.com/ashbb/shoesgem

I know the first line is a bother, but I didn't come up with another way. :(

So, if you have an idea, please please let me know.

Cheers,
ashbb

Re: [shoes] Shoes Gem

i5m
2010-06-08 @ 09:20
Hi ashbb,

having trouble updating ruby gems at the moment, and I'm away for the next
week or so so won't be able to check this out for a while.

Thanks for doing it though. Clever stuff.
-----------------------
i5m.co.uk
GPG Key: 0xA18A602B

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 4:08 PM, ashbb <ashbbb@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have tried to make a Shoes Gem for Windows and uploaded into
> RubyGems.org. This is a purely-experimental trial version. Just an idea. ;-)
> http://rubygems.org/gems/shoesgem
> If you have Windows PC and have some time, please try to do the following:
> - gem update --system
> - gem install shoesgem
> - ruby your_shoes_app.rb
> If you have good luck, you can see your Shoes app launches.
> **NOTE**: before run your app, you have to add the following two lines on
> the head of the code.
>     SHOES_APP = File.expand_path(__FILE__)
>     require 'shoes'
> Look at a little information: http://github.com/ashbb/shoesgem
> I know the first line is a bother, but I didn't come up with another way.
> :(
> So, if you have an idea, please please let me know.
> Cheers,
> ashbb

Re: [shoes] Shoes Gem

ashbb
2010-06-08 @ 14:10
Hi i5m,

> I'm away for the next week or so so won't be able to check
> this out for a while.
No prob. A trip? Have a good time. :)

BTW. Jonty sent me the following email.
He says that he has still a trouble to access to librelist.
So, I'd like to post here. He looks like to have interest in
ShoesGem. :)

Thanks,
ashbb

------------------------------------------------------------
Hi jonty,

Thank you for the encouraging mail. :)
I'm very glad to hear you tried ShoesGem and it worked.

> Is this a 1.8 compatibility issue or do we need to do
> something else?
No, not a Ruby 1.8 issue. To be honest, ShoesGem is not
a real gem, just an installer so far.

Look at this:

I just use `system` method and it executes your app
`SHOES_APP` with `shoes/shoes.exe` installed by ShoesGem.

Also look at a sample snippet, `my_first_shoes_app.rb`:

I added `begin .. rescue .. end` to hide the error you got. :-P

Cheers,
ashbb

--------------------------------------------------------------
Apologies I am still not able to gain access to librelist,

However just to let you know that your gem is awesome!

Haven't fully tested it on my machine yet but I will (xp sp3, ruby 1.8!)

I have always felt that shoes should just be a gem  - it gives so much more
flexibility

Just one thing - although it seems to be working fine I get an error in the
console:

uninitialized constant Shoes (name error) which happens when Shoes.app is
called, but it then works anyway. Is this a 1.8 compatibility issue or do we
need to do something else?

cheers

jonty

Re: [shoes] Shoes Gem

Steve Klabnik
2010-06-08 @ 15:05
What was his problem with librelist? Did he send an email to
shoes@librelist.org? What was the response?

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 10:10 AM, ashbb <ashbbb@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi i5m,
> > I'm away for the next week or so so won't be able to check
> > this out for a while.
> No prob. A trip? Have a good time. :)
> BTW. Jonty sent me the following email.
> He says that he has still a trouble to access to librelist.
> So, I'd like to post here. He looks like to have interest in
> ShoesGem. :)
> Thanks,
> ashbb
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> Hi jonty,
> Thank you for the encouraging mail. :)
> I'm very glad to hear you tried ShoesGem and it worked.
> > Is this a 1.8 compatibility issue or do we need to do
> > something else?
> No, not a Ruby 1.8 issue. To be honest, ShoesGem is not
> a real gem, just an installer so far.
> Look at this:
> http://github.com/ashbb/shoesgem/blob/master/lib/shoes.rb
> I just use `system` method and it executes your app
> `SHOES_APP` with `shoes/shoes.exe` installed by ShoesGem.
> Also look at a sample snippet, `my_first_shoes_app.rb`:
> http://github.com/ashbb/shoesgem
> I added `begin .. rescue .. end` to hide the error you got. :-P
> Cheers,
> ashbb
> --------------------------------------------------------------
> Apologies I am still not able to gain access to librelist,
> However just to let you know that your gem is awesome!
> Haven't fully tested it on my machine yet but I will (xp sp3, ruby 1.8!)
> I have always felt that shoes should just be a gem  - it gives so much more
> flexibility
> Just one thing - although it seems to be working fine I get an error in the
> console:
> uninitialized constant Shoes (name error) which happens when Shoes.app is
> called, but it then works anyway. Is this a 1.8 compatibility issue or do we
> need to do something else?
> cheers
> jonty

Re: [shoes] Shoes Gem

i5m
2010-06-08 @ 15:08
I've been in touch with him. He'd tried
unbouncing<http://librelist.com/status.html>himself and had opened
a ticket <http://support.librelist.com/index>, but at the time hadn't had a
response. I've just emailed him again asking if his ticket is still open -
since I could post on the meta list to see if that would help get it
resolved.
-----------------------
i5m.co.uk
GPG Key: 0xA18A602B

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:

> What was his problem with librelist? Did he send an email to
> shoes@librelist.org? What was the response?
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 10:10 AM, ashbb <ashbbb@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi i5m,
>> > I'm away for the next week or so so won't be able to check
>> > this out for a while.
>> No prob. A trip? Have a good time. :)
>> BTW. Jonty sent me the following email.
>> He says that he has still a trouble to access to librelist.
>> So, I'd like to post here. He looks like to have interest in
>> ShoesGem. :)
>> Thanks,
>> ashbb
>> ------------------------------------------------------------
>> Hi jonty,
>> Thank you for the encouraging mail. :)
>> I'm very glad to hear you tried ShoesGem and it worked.
>> > Is this a 1.8 compatibility issue or do we need to do
>> > something else?
>> No, not a Ruby 1.8 issue. To be honest, ShoesGem is not
>> a real gem, just an installer so far.
>> Look at this:
>> http://github.com/ashbb/shoesgem/blob/master/lib/shoes.rb
>> I just use `system` method and it executes your app
>> `SHOES_APP` with `shoes/shoes.exe` installed by ShoesGem.
>> Also look at a sample snippet, `my_first_shoes_app.rb`:
>> http://github.com/ashbb/shoesgem
>> I added `begin .. rescue .. end` to hide the error you got. :-P
>> Cheers,
>> ashbb
>> --------------------------------------------------------------
>> Apologies I am still not able to gain access to librelist,
>> However just to let you know that your gem is awesome!
>> Haven't fully tested it on my machine yet but I will (xp sp3, ruby 1.8!)
>> I have always felt that shoes should just be a gem  - it gives so much
>> more flexibility
>> Just one thing - although it seems to be working fine I get an error in
>> the console:
>> uninitialized constant Shoes (name error) which happens when Shoes.app is
>> called, but it then works anyway. Is this a 1.8 compatibility issue or do we
>> need to do something else?
>> cheers
>> jonty

Re: [shoes] Shoes Gem

Artyom Bolshakov
2010-06-03 @ 15:26
Hello,  ashbb,

That's right way, i think.
What about gems for other operating systems?
I can help to test it on 64 bit linux.

Regards,
Artyom Bolshakov

Re: [shoes] Shoes Gem

ashbb
2010-06-04 @ 14:52
Hi Artyom,

> I can help to test it on 64 bit linux.
Fantastic!

But sorry, I don't have an environment to build Shoes for Linux 64 bit. :(

- Can you try to test it on 32 bit linux?
  If so, I'll try to build ShoesGem for Linux 32 bit.

- Can you try to build Shoes on your 64 bit linux?
  If so, you can build ShoesGem by yourself. ;-)

These are tiny notes to build Shoes for Linux 32 bit:

and ShoesGem for Windows:

Let's have fun! :)
ashbb

Shoes gem

Eric Watson
2012-01-31 @ 05:26
I have resurrected Steve's work on making Shoes into a gem. The goal here
is to allow us to run Shoes code inside a regular ruby so that we can
write ruby specs against Red Shoes, just like Peter has been doing with
Brown/Purple Shoes.

We would still package a ruby install along with Shoes and Shoes apps.
Right now, when Shoes starts, it embeds the ruby interpreter from a C
binary. With a Shoes gem, I envision using a shell script to run the
packaged ruby and require Shoes. Same result, but kind of an inverted
process.

At the moment, I can build the gem, install it, and do 'require "shoes"'
all without error.

rake clean
rake build
rake install
ruby -e 'require "shoes"'

When I try to make a Shoes app, I start getting various errors involving
memory allocation. I'd love some help tracking those down.

Check out my 'gem' branch that incorporates the basic gemification changes:

And my 'gem-init' branch, where I'm working out the bugs with starting an app:

These Shoes are made for walking!

Eric

Re: [shoes] Shoes gem

Tobias Pfeiffer
2012-01-31 @ 10:07
o_O wow Eric cool that you want to resurrect this - as I remember it is
one hell of a problem so I wish you the best of luck. It certainly would
be way more convenient and a big push for shoes.

I'm not the C-guy but I'll see what I can do. Thanks for doing this!

Tobi

On 01/31/2012 06:26 AM, Eric Watson wrote:
> I have resurrected Steve's work on making Shoes into a gem. The goal
here is to allow us to run Shoes code inside a regular ruby so that we can
write ruby specs against Red Shoes, just like Peter has been doing with
Brown/Purple Shoes.
> We would still package a ruby install along with Shoes and Shoes apps.
Right now, when Shoes starts, it embeds the ruby interpreter from a C
binary. With a Shoes gem, I envision using a shell script to run the
packaged ruby and require Shoes. Same result, but kind of an inverted
process.
> At the moment, I can build the gem, install it, and do 'require "shoes"'
all without error.
> rake clean
> rake build
> rake install
> ruby -e 'require "shoes"'
> When I try to make a Shoes app, I start getting various errors involving
memory allocation. I'd love some help tracking those down.
> Check out my 'gem' branch that incorporates the basic gemification changes:
> https://github.com/wasnotrice/shoes/tree/gem
> And my 'gem-init' branch, where I'm working out the bugs with starting an app:
> https://github.com/wasnotrice/shoes/tree/gem-init
> These Shoes are made for walking!
> Eric

Re: [shoes] Shoes gem

Steve Klabnik
2012-01-31 @ 14:45
I'm also super glad that this is coming back, even if we use it for
nothing more than testing... this has been the #1 feature request of
people for a long time, and you can see how people love this out of
Green Shoes.

I'm hoping that this week I won't get totally screwed with
circumstances outside of my control, and will be able to get some
stuff done.

Re: [shoes] Shoes gem

Peter Fitzgibbons
2012-01-31 @ 15:28
Tell me if  you want anything of Brown Shoes.

Peter Fitzgibbons
(847) 859-9550
Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com

Re: [shoes] Shoes gem

Eric Watson
2012-01-31 @ 15:46
On Jan 31, 2012, at 9:28 AM, Peter Fitzgibbons wrote:

> Tell me if  you want anything of Brown Shoes.

I certainly will. I'm hoping to use your specs, for starters.

Eric