librelist archives

« back to archive

I just built Shoes on Snow Leopard

I just built Shoes on Snow Leopard

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2010-03-30 @ 19:54
.... but there's still one problem.

Okay, I changed a few small things in the Rakefile, and now shoes builds:


http://github.com/steveklabnik/shoes/commit/2cb3f79aedb5c4efa9c8552e5c811600a784058b

This is using the prebuilt-deps. You should be able to

$ source use-deps
$ SNOW_LEOPARD=true rake

and shoes will build. The problem is this:

$ ./dist/shoes-bin
dyld: Symbol not found: __cg_jpeg_resync_to_restart
  Referenced from:

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libTIFF.dylib
  Expected in:
/Users/steveklabnik/Documents/src/shoes/deps/lib/libjpeg.62.dylib
 in

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libTIFF.dylib
Trace/BPT trap


But, reading some stuff, if we unset an environment variable...

$ export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=""

Then this happens instead:

$ ./dist/shoes-bin
dyld: Library not loaded: ../deps/lib/libruby.dylib
  Referenced from: /Users/steveklabnik/Documents/src/shoes/./dist/shoes-bin
  Reason: Incompatible library version: shoes-bin requires version 1.9.1 or
later, but libruby.dylib provides version 1.8.0
Trace/BPT trap


..... but doesn't deps/lib/libruby.dylib provide 1.9?

I'm confiused.

Any thoughts?

Re: [shoes] I just built Shoes on Snow Leopard

From:
Devyn Cairns
Date:
2010-03-30 @ 20:21
The prebuilt-deps' ruby is 1.8.x... I don't think it's 1.9.

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:

> .... but there's still one problem.
>
> Okay, I changed a few small things in the Rakefile, and now shoes builds:
>
>
> 
http://github.com/steveklabnik/shoes/commit/2cb3f79aedb5c4efa9c8552e5c811600a784058b
>
> This is using the prebuilt-deps. You should be able to
>
> $ source use-deps
> $ SNOW_LEOPARD=true rake
>
> and shoes will build. The problem is this:
>
> $ ./dist/shoes-bin
> dyld: Symbol not found: __cg_jpeg_resync_to_restart
>   Referenced from:
> 
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libTIFF.dylib
>   Expected in:
> /Users/steveklabnik/Documents/src/shoes/deps/lib/libjpeg.62.dylib
>  in
> 
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libTIFF.dylib
> Trace/BPT trap
>
>
> But, reading some stuff, if we unset an environment variable...
>
> $ export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=""
>
> Then this happens instead:
>
> $ ./dist/shoes-bin
> dyld: Library not loaded: ../deps/lib/libruby.dylib
>   Referenced from: /Users/steveklabnik/Documents/src/shoes/./dist/shoes-bin
>   Reason: Incompatible library version: shoes-bin requires version 1.9.1 or
> later, but libruby.dylib provides version 1.8.0
> Trace/BPT trap
>
>
> ..... but doesn't deps/lib/libruby.dylib provide 1.9?
>
> I'm confiused.
>
> Any thoughts?
>



-- 
   ~devyn

Re: [shoes] I just built Shoes on Snow Leopard

From:
i5m
Date:
2010-03-30 @ 20:28
That'd be a point. Which deps are you using?

On 30 Mar 2010, at 21:21, Devyn Cairns <devyn.cairns@gmail.com> wrote:

> The prebuilt-deps' ruby is 1.8.x... I don't think it's 1.9.
>
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com 
> > wrote:
> .... but there's still one problem.
>
>

Re: [shoes] I just built Shoes on Snow Leopard

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2010-03-30 @ 20:29
The one on the downloads page of the shoes wiki.

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 4:28 PM, i5m <i5ivem@googlemail.com> wrote:

> That'd be a point. Which deps are you using?
>
>
> On 30 Mar 2010, at 21:21, Devyn Cairns <devyn.cairns@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The prebuilt-deps' ruby is 1.8.x... I don't think it's 1.9.
>
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Steve Klabnik < <steve@steveklabnik.com>
> steve@steveklabnik.com> wrote:
>
>> .... but there's still one problem.
>>
>>
>>

Re: [shoes] I just built Shoes on Snow Leopard

From:
i5m
Date:
2010-03-30 @ 21:01
Well that's the one Anuj Dutta sorted out for Intel 10.5. So Ruby 1.9.

On 30 Mar 2010, at 21:29, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com> wrote:

> The one on the downloads page of the shoes wiki.
>
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 4:28 PM, i5m <i5ivem@googlemail.com> wrote:
> That'd be a point. Which deps are you using?
>
>
> On 30 Mar 2010, at 21:21, Devyn Cairns <devyn.cairns@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The prebuilt-deps' ruby is 1.8.x... I don't think it's 1.9.
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com 
>> > wrote:
>> .... but there's still one problem.
>>
>>
>

Re: [shoes] I just built Shoes on Snow Leopard

From:
i5m
Date:
2010-03-30 @ 21:26
Out of interest what does:

otool -L libruby.dylib

give?

On 30 Mar 2010, at 21:29, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com> wrote:

> The one on the downloads page of the shoes wiki.
>
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 4:28 PM, i5m <i5ivem@googlemail.com> wrote:
> That'd be a point. Which deps are you using?
>
>
> On 30 Mar 2010, at 21:21, Devyn Cairns <devyn.cairns@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The prebuilt-deps' ruby is 1.8.x... I don't think it's 1.9.
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com 
>> > wrote:
>> .... but there's still one problem.
>>
>>
>

Re: [shoes] I just built Shoes on Snow Leopard

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2010-03-30 @ 21:28
$ otool -L deps/lib/libruby.dylib
deps/lib/libruby.dylib:
/tmp/ruby/lib/libruby.dylib (compatibility version 1.9.1, current version
1.9.1)
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version
125.0.0)


Very strange.

Re: [shoes] I just built Shoes on Snow Leopard

From:
Marylou Kunkle
Date:
2010-03-30 @ 21:35
I had been building in ruby 1.8.6, because it yelled at me about 1.9.1. :/

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:

> $ otool -L deps/lib/libruby.dylib
> deps/lib/libruby.dylib:
> /tmp/ruby/lib/libruby.dylib (compatibility version 1.9.1, current version
> 1.9.1)
>  /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version
> 125.0.0)
>
>
> Very strange.
>

Re: [shoes] I just built Shoes on Snow Leopard

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2010-03-30 @ 21:38
Ah, but doesn't shoes need 1.9 now?

Re: [shoes] I just built Shoes on Snow Leopard

From:
Devyn Cairns
Date:
2010-03-30 @ 22:37
Shoes works with both 1.8 and 1.9 (or, it's supposed to) but 1.9.1 is
preferable.

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:

> Ah, but doesn't shoes need 1.9 now?




-- 
   ~devyn

Re: [shoes] I just built Shoes on Snow Leopard

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2010-03-30 @ 22:43
Hm. I wonder why my version requires 1.9, then?

Re: [shoes] I just built Shoes on Snow Leopard

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2010-03-30 @ 22:50
Ah, it builds with the ruby that's in deps/bin/ruby, which is a 1.9 ruby.

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 6:43 PM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:

> Hm. I wonder why my version requires 1.9, then?

Re: [shoes] I just built Shoes on Snow Leopard

From:
Devyn Cairns
Date:
2010-03-31 @ 05:59
So, any luck?

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:

> Ah, it builds with the ruby that's in deps/bin/ruby, which is a 1.9 ruby.
>
>
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 6:43 PM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:
>
>> Hm. I wonder why my version requires 1.9, then?
>
>
>


-- 
   ~devyn

Re: [shoes] I just built Shoes on Snow Leopard

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2010-03-31 @ 13:46
Nope. In fact, I broke it somehow; it no longer builds.

This is frustrating.

Re: [shoes] I just built Shoes on Snow Leopard

From:
Devyn Cairns
Date:
2010-03-31 @ 23:47
git revert?

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 6:46 AM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:

> Nope. In fact, I broke it somehow; it no longer builds.
>
> This is frustrating.
>



-- 
   ~devyn

Re: [shoes] I just built Shoes on Snow Leopard

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2010-03-31 @ 23:57
Nope. I'm geting a ton of symbols not found now.

Re: [shoes] I just built Shoes on Snow Leopard

From:
Marylou Kunkle
Date:
2010-04-01 @ 00:42
did you remember to source use-deps in a new terminal? that confused me for
awhile. :)

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:

> Nope. I'm geting a ton of symbols not found now.

Re: [shoes] I just built Shoes on Snow Leopard

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2010-04-01 @ 00:54
yep. I have no idea what went wrong.

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 8:42 PM, Marylou Kunkle
<melancholyfleur@gmail.com>wrote:

> did you remember to source use-deps in a new terminal? that confused me for
> awhile. :)
>
>
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:
>
>> Nope. I'm geting a ton of symbols not found now.
>
>
>

Re: [shoes] I just built Shoes on Snow Leopard

From:
i5m
Date:
2010-04-02 @ 21:28
What's the (non) build output?

On 1 Apr 2010, at 01:54, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com> wrote:

> yep. I have no idea what went wrong.
>
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 8:42 PM, Marylou Kunkle <melancholyfleur@gmail.com 
> > wrote:
> did you remember to source use-deps in a new terminal? that confused  
> me for awhile. :)
>
>
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Steve Klabnik  
> <steve@steveklabnik.com> wrote:
> Nope. I'm geting a ton of symbols not found now.
>
>

Re: [shoes] I just built Shoes on Snow Leopard

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2010-04-02 @ 23:04
... it was a bunch of "missing symbols" before, but now, it's just

$ SNOW_LEOPARD=1 rake
./deps/bin/rake:9:in `require': no such file to load -- rubygems (LoadError)
	from ./deps/bin/rake:9


I must have screwed up my deps. I'll play around with it late tonight
and report in.

Re: [shoes] I just built Shoes on Snow Leopard

From:
James Harrison
Date:
2010-04-02 @ 23:58
Hey Steve,

do you have a github repo for this stuff?

James
On Apr 2, 2010, at 5:04 PM 4/2/10, Steve Klabnik wrote:

> ... it was a bunch of "missing symbols" before, but now, it's just
> 
> $ SNOW_LEOPARD=1 rake
> ./deps/bin/rake:9:in `require': no such file to load -- rubygems (LoadError)
> 	from ./deps/bin/rake:9
> 
> 
> I must have screwed up my deps. I'll play around with it late tonight
> and report in.

Re: [shoes] I just built Shoes on Snow Leopard

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2010-04-03 @ 05:27
Yes, I have one commit past the current shoes HEAD. My fork is here:
http://github.com/steveklabnik/shoes

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 7:58 PM, James Harrison <oscartheduck@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Steve,
>
> do you have a github repo for this stuff?
>
> James
> On Apr 2, 2010, at 5:04 PM 4/2/10, Steve Klabnik wrote:
>
>> ... it was a bunch of "missing symbols" before, but now, it's just
>>
>> $ SNOW_LEOPARD=1 rake
>> ./deps/bin/rake:9:in `require': no such file to load -- rubygems (LoadError)
>>       from ./deps/bin/rake:9
>>
>>
>> I must have screwed up my deps. I'll play around with it late tonight
>> and report in.
>
>

Re: [shoes] I just built Shoes on Snow Leopard

From:
i5m
Date:
2010-03-30 @ 20:27
Cool!

Could the libruby.dylib problem be because it is actually 1.8. I know  
Anuj Dutta put Ruby 1.9 in the Intel deps, but there are remnants of  
1.8 in there. Is there anyway to test the dylib to see if it is  
actually 1.8?



On 30 Mar 2010, at 20:54, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com> wrote:

> $ ./dist/shoes-bin
> dyld: Library not loaded: ../deps/lib/libruby.dylib
>   Referenced from: /Users/steveklabnik/Documents/src/shoes/./dist/ 
> shoes-bin
>   Reason: Incompatible library version: shoes-bin requires version  
> 1.9.1 or later, but libruby.dylib provides version 1.8.0
> Trace/BPT trap
>
>
> ..... but doesn't deps/lib/libruby.dylib provide 1.9?
>
> I'm confiused.
>
> Any thoughts?

Re: [shoes] I just built Shoes on Snow Leopard

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2010-03-30 @ 20:28
Even copying it over from a handbuilt ruby seems to not work.

$ cp /tmp/ruby/lib/libruby.dylib
~/Documents/src/shoes/deps/lib/libruby.dylib
$ cd ~/Documents/src/shoes
$ ./dist/shoes-bin
dyld: Library not loaded: ../deps/lib/libruby.dylib
  Referenced from: /Users/steveklabnik/Documents/src/shoes/./dist/shoes-bin
  Reason: Incompatible library version: shoes-bin requires version 1.9.1 or
later, but libruby.dylib provides version 1.8.0
Trace/BPT trap