librelist archives

« back to archive

Re: [shoes] Force Drawing

Re: [shoes] Force Drawing

From:
i5m
Date:
2010-03-19 @ 20:08
You are probably going to have to use a Thread. I.e. Loop through the  
downloads in a new Shoes thread and update a para external to that  
thread.

Some examples of threading:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.shoes/842/focus=846

And the progress bar I did here:    
http://github.com/i5m/shoeset/blob/master/shoeset.rb

There could be another way aswell. Sure someone else will have some  
input.



On 19 Mar 2010, at 19:10, Trans <transfire@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running through a loop that downloads urls. Before each loop I
> want to add a para to the stack so the user knows which file is being
> downloaded. Code:
>
>     button "Fetch", :width=>100, :left=>635 do
>       @client.list.each do |url|
>         @videos.append do
>           para(url, :stroke=>white)
>         end
>         @client.download_url(url)
>       end
>     end
>
> Problem is none the paras actually become visible until all the urls
> are downloaded. Is there anyway to force the drawing. Or is there a
> better way to go about this?

Re: [shoes] Force Drawing

From:
Trans
Date:
2010-03-20 @ 03:50
On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 4:08 PM, i5m <i5ivem@googlemail.com> wrote:
> You are probably going to have to use a Thread. I.e. Loop through the
> downloads in a new Shoes thread and update a para external to that
> thread.
>
> Some examples of threading:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.shoes/842/focus=846

Thanks. That did the trick.

> And the progress bar I did here:   
 http://github.com/i5m/shoeset/blob/master/shoeset.rb

Awesome. I'll look this over too.

~trans

Re: [shoes] Force Drawing

From:
Satoshi Asakawa
Date:
2010-03-20 @ 06:15
Hi Trans,

Good question. Interesting! How about this one? ;-)

Shoes.app do
  urls = %w[
http://www.google-logos.com/wp-content/logos/Antonio-Vivaldi-Birthday-2010.gif

http://www.google-logos.com/wp-content/logos/Winter_Olympics_2010_Vancouver_1.jpg


http://www.google-logos.com/wp-content/logos/ec_segar_birthday_popeye_the_sailor_2009.gif
   ]

  button "Fetch" do
    urls.each do |url|
      fname = File.basename(url)
      download url, :save => fname do
        stack do
          para url, :stroke => green
          image fname
        end
      end
    end
  end
end


Hope this helps,
ashbb

Re: [shoes] Force Drawing

From:
Trans
Date:
2010-03-22 @ 11:56
On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 2:15 AM, Satoshi Asakawa <ashbbb@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Trans,
>
> Good question. Interesting! How about this one? ;-)
>
> Shoes.app do
>   urls =
> 
%w[http://www.google-logos.com/wp-content/logos/Antonio-Vivaldi-Birthday-2010.gif
>
> 
http://www.google-logos.com/wp-content/logos/Winter_Olympics_2010_Vancouver_1.jpg
>
> 
http://www.google-logos.com/wp-content/logos/ec_segar_birthday_popeye_the_sailor_2009.gif
>    ]
>
>   button "Fetch" do
>     urls.each do |url|
>       fname = File.basename(url)
>       download url, :save => fname do
>         stack do
>           para url, :stroke => green
>           image fname
>         end
>       end
>     end
>   end
> end

Even better. Smart _why.

Re: [shoes] Force Drawing

From:
Devyn Cairns
Date:
2010-03-22 @ 07:27
Ah, the download method. :) I remember now, _why put that in to get around
explicitly threading it, so that we could just do it async, like as is done
in Prototype, jQuery, and a bunch of other javascript libs.

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 11:15 PM, Satoshi Asakawa <ashbbb@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Trans,
>
> Good question. Interesting! How about this one? ;-)
>
> Shoes.app do
>   urls = %w[
> http://www.google-logos.com/wp-content/logos/Antonio-Vivaldi-Birthday-2010.gif
>
> 
http://www.google-logos.com/wp-content/logos/Winter_Olympics_2010_Vancouver_1.jpg
>
> 
http://www.google-logos.com/wp-content/logos/ec_segar_birthday_popeye_the_sailor_2009.gif
>    ]
>
>   button "Fetch" do
>     urls.each do |url|
>       fname = File.basename(url)
>       download url, :save => fname do
>         stack do
>           para url, :stroke => green
>           image fname
>         end
>       end
>     end
>   end
> end
>
>
> Hope this helps,
> ashbb
>



-- 
   ~devyn