Linux build gives: undefined method `require_relative' for main:Object

spiralofhope
2010-11-22 @ 07:11
Hello!

I'm new to Shoes, and I'm stuck at installation.  I'm on Linux, and
according to the download page[1] I must install from source.[2][3]

I'm using Lubuntu 10.10 and Ruby 1.8.7, [6] and I followed the Ubuntu
build instructions.  Everything has gone well, except for the last
command.

rake VIDEO=0

> (in /mnt/sdb8/live/projects/rb/Shoes/shoes)
> rake aborted!
> undefined method `require_relative' for main:Object
> /mnt/sdb8/live/projects/rb/Shoes/shoes/Rakefile:4
> (See full trace by running task with --trace)

rake VIDEO=0 --trace

> (in /mnt/sdb8/live/projects/rb/Shoes/shoes)
> rake aborted!
> undefined method `require_relative' for main:Object
> /mnt/sdb8/live/projects/rb/Shoes/shoes/Rakefile:4
> /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:2383:in `load'
> /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:2383:in `raw_load_rakefile'
> /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:2017:in `load_rakefile'
> /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:2068:in `standard_exception_handling'
> /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:2016:in `load_rakefile'
> /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:2000:in `run'
> /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:2068:in `standard_exception_handling'
> /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:1998:in `run'
> /usr/bin/rake:28

Running the command as root does not change the error.

I have tried some general searches using parts of the error messages
but I have not had any success narrowing this problem down.

I was unable to find a link to searchable archives at [4] for this
mailing list, so I couldn't look for an answer that way.  I hope this
topic hasn't come up recently.

I did notice that this mailing list's archives are available via an
Rsynced Maildir [5] but I didn't want to get into that.

I'm unfamiliar with Shoes, Rake, Git and even Lubuntu (although I'm a
native Linux user).

So far, this system seems to have been grumpy with running Ruby outside
of my home directory unless I add a hashbang [7] to the top of my .rb
files.  Since this system has shown itself to be quirky perhaps there's
an issue there?

I also figured that since I'm pulling from git that I might have pulled
down some quirky code.  Is there a particular stable revision I should
try?  I could use a date/time and go from there, but git instructions
would be handy.

When I poked around, I saw Ruby 1.9 references so it does seem likely
that development is active and the code is quirky.

Any advice, or even some keywords to search with, would be helpful.

--- footnotes
> cd shoes
> rake VIDEO=0
[4] https://github.com/shoes/shoes/wiki
[5] "Archives via Rsync" http://librelist.com/
[6] ruby 1.8.7 (2010-06-23 patchlevel 299) [i686-linux]
[7] #!/usr/bin/env ruby
--- (please trim your replies!)

Re: [shoes] Linux build gives: undefined method `require_relative' for main:Object

Devyn Cairns
2010-11-22 @ 07:43
The Rakefile requires Ruby 1.9, currently. You can, however, fix the
Rakefile for 1.8 by changing any 'require_relative' calls to just 'require'
— haven't tested this, but I think it should work.

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 11:11 PM, spiralofhope <spiralofhope@lavabit.com>wrote:

> Hello!
> I'm new to Shoes, and I'm stuck at installation.  I'm on Linux, and
> according to the download page[1] I must install from source.[2][3]
> I'm using Lubuntu 10.10 and Ruby 1.8.7, [6] and I followed the Ubuntu
> build instructions.  Everything has gone well, except for the last
> command.
> rake VIDEO=0
> > (in /mnt/sdb8/live/projects/rb/Shoes/shoes)
> > rake aborted!
> > undefined method `require_relative' for main:Object
> > /mnt/sdb8/live/projects/rb/Shoes/shoes/Rakefile:4
> > (See full trace by running task with --trace)
> rake VIDEO=0 --trace
> > (in /mnt/sdb8/live/projects/rb/Shoes/shoes)
> > rake aborted!
> > undefined method `require_relative' for main:Object
> > /mnt/sdb8/live/projects/rb/Shoes/shoes/Rakefile:4
> > /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:2383:in `load'
> > /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:2383:in `raw_load_rakefile'
> > /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:2017:in `load_rakefile'
> > /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:2068:in `standard_exception_handling'
> > /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:2016:in `load_rakefile'
> > /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:2000:in `run'
> > /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:2068:in `standard_exception_handling'
> > /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:1998:in `run'
> > /usr/bin/rake:28
> Running the command as root does not change the error.
> I have tried some general searches using parts of the error messages
> but I have not had any success narrowing this problem down.
> I was unable to find a link to searchable archives at [4] for this
> mailing list, so I couldn't look for an answer that way.  I hope this
> topic hasn't come up recently.
> I did notice that this mailing list's archives are available via an
> Rsynced Maildir [5] but I didn't want to get into that.
> I'm unfamiliar with Shoes, Rake, Git and even Lubuntu (although I'm a
> native Linux user).
> So far, this system seems to have been grumpy with running Ruby outside
> of my home directory unless I add a hashbang [7] to the top of my .rb
> files.  Since this system has shown itself to be quirky perhaps there's
> an issue there?
> I also figured that since I'm pulling from git that I might have pulled
> down some quirky code.  Is there a particular stable revision I should
> try?  I could use a date/time and go from there, but git instructions
> would be handy.
> When I poked around, I saw Ruby 1.9 references so it does seem likely
> that development is active and the code is quirky.
> Any advice, or even some keywords to search with, would be helpful.
> --- footnotes
> > rake VIDEO=0
> [4] https://github.com/shoes/shoes/wiki
> [5] "Archives via Rsync" http://librelist.com/
> http://librelist.com/help.html
> [6] ruby 1.8.7 (2010-06-23 patchlevel 299) [i686-linux]
> [7] #!/usr/bin/env ruby
> --- (please trim your replies!)

~devyn

spiralofhope
2010-11-22 @ 09:48
On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 23:43:24 -0800
Devyn Cairns <devyn.cairns@gmail.com> wrote:

> The Rakefile requires Ruby 1.9, currently. You can, however, fix the
> Rakefile for 1.8 by changing any 'require_relative' calls to just
> 'require' — haven't tested this, but I think it should work.

Thanks for your hint.

I searched the contents of all files and only found the reference in
the ./Rakefile where it was only found once on line 4:

/shoes/canvas.h:235: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before
‘libvlc_exception_t’ rake aborted!
Command failed with status (1): [gcc -I. -c -oshoes/app.o -Wall
-I/usr/incl...] /mnt/sdb8/live/projects/rb/Shoes/shoes/Rakefile:110

rake VIDEO=0 --trace

pasted here:  http://pastebin.com/5iXkFuxr

The relevant code in canvas.h is:

typedef struct {
#endif
  int init;
  VALUE path;
  SHOES_SLOT_OS *slot;
} shoes_video;

line 235 is libvlc_exception_t excp;

I haven't touched c in years.. I'm not going near the code.

The Rakefile change definitely leads .. somewhere.  I'm just not sure
where.  =)

Steve Klabnik
2010-11-22 @ 16:42
Hey Sprial, good to see you on here.

I'm on the run, so I'll try to offer more help later, but it seems to
me that even though you're VIDEO=0-ing, it's trying to include VLC.
Check out those includes, -I/usr/include/vlc

I'm not sure if this is a 1.8.7-> 1.9 issue, but Shoes master should
build with either 1.9.1 or 1.9.2. It hasn't been tried with 1.8.7 in a
long time, though.

Maybe more help later, sorry I can't be more right this second.

-Steve

PS, is this you? https://github.com/shoes/shoes/issues/issue/76

Seems to be the same thing.

Zachary Scott
2010-11-22 @ 16:48
Ahh, it should build fine without the VIDEO flag then. I ran into a similar
problem here: https://github.com/shoes/shoes/issues#issue/71

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 11:42 AM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:

> Hey Sprial, good to see you on here.
> I'm on the run, so I'll try to offer more help later, but it seems to
> me that even though you're VIDEO=0-ing, it's trying to include VLC.
> Check out those includes, -I/usr/include/vlc
> I'm not sure if this is a 1.8.7-> 1.9 issue, but Shoes master should
> build with either 1.9.1 or 1.9.2. It hasn't been tried with 1.8.7 in a
> long time, though.
> Maybe more help later, sorry I can't be more right this second.
> -Steve
> PS, is this you? https://github.com/shoes/shoes/issues/issue/76
> Seems to be the same thing.

Zachary Scott

spiralofhope
2010-11-23 @ 05:18
On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 10:15:09 -0500
Zachary Scott <zachary.s.scott@gmail.com> wrote:

> the master branch, which is held for releases, should be built with
> 1.9.1

Aah, I wondered about that.

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 11:48:01 -0500
Zachary Scott <zachary.s.scott@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ahh, it should build fine without the VIDEO flag then. I ran into a
> similar problem here: https://github.com/shoes/shoes/issues#issue/71

Well without the VIDEO flag I get different results, but it still
throws an error.  I'm guessing it's not working with 1.8.7.

rake

rake --trace

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 11:42:24 -0500
Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com> wrote:

> Hey Sprial, good to see you on here.

Hi Steve!

> I'm not sure if this is a 1.8.7-> 1.9 issue, but Shoes master should
> build with either 1.9.1 or 1.9.2. It hasn't been tried with 1.8.7 in a
> long time, though.

> PS, is this you? https://github.com/shoes/shoes/issues/issue/76
> Seems to be the same thing.

Indeed it does.  It wasn't me though.

I signed up to github but I see no way to subscribe to / watch that
issue so I get emailed when it's updated.  Do you know of a way?  I
looked carefully, asked google and poked through the github docs and
came up empty.  =/

---

Well it's unfortunate that Shoes isn't built for 1.8.7.  I was about to
politely comment on 1.8.7 being the latest stable and that everything
should work on it, but checking ruby-lang.org I'm now told that 1.9.2 is
the latest stable.

Well neato!  I'll migrate to that as soon as my current project is
finished.  Switching mid-project sounds like a Bad Idea(tm).  After
then I will re-try this build and be all happy and stuff.

---

Also, would you kindly update the website with a mention of
compatibility with Ruby 1.9.1.  I recommend the downloads page[1].

Mentioning 1.9.2 on Building Shoes on Linux[2] might work.

. but I'd recommend either providing some kind of repository snapshot
or a fancy git command to pull the repository down from a specific point
in time (around the same time the other platform packages were made?).
Then you can tinker with 1.9.1 vs 1.9.2 or break the code in
entertaining ways without random new users participating.

---

Well thanks again for the help, I'll be back with epic tales of todo
lists and media databases.  Ok, probably an alarm clock first.

---
[1]http://shoes.heroku.com/downloads
[2]https://github.com/shoes/shoes/wiki/Building-Shoes-on-Linux
--- (kittens and bunnies and post-trimming!)

Steve Klabnik
2010-11-23 @ 05:34
> I signed up to github but I see no way to subscribe to / watch that
> issue so I get emailed when it's updated.  Do you know of a way?  I
> looked carefully, asked google and poked through the github docs and
> came up empty.  =/

Comment on it with "I have the same problem," you'll get
notifications. I don't think there's a way outside of participating.

> Also, would you kindly update the website with a mention of
> compatibility with Ruby 1.9.1.  I recommend the downloads page[1].

It only matters if you're building your own. Since Shoes embeds its
own Ruby, it's only if you're building that it matters...

Regardless, I was about to say, "Yeah, it says that right here!"
but.... it doesn't. I re-did the Wiki recently, that must have slipped
out. :/ I'll do it right now.

> . but I'd recommend either providing some kind of repository snapshot
> or a fancy git command to pull the repository down from a specific point
> in time (around the same time the other platform packages were made?).

You can already do this, with tags. For instance, here's the Policeman
release: https://github.com/shoes/shoes/tree/3.0.0

> Well thanks again for the help, I'll be back with epic tales of todo
> lists and media databases.  Ok, probably an alarm clock first.

Please do! You might also be interested in shoes-contrib, a collection
of examples: https://github.com/shoes/shoes-contrib

Cecil Coupe
2010-11-23 @ 06:48
On Tue, 2010-11-23 at 00:34 -0500, Steve Klabnik wrote:
> > I signed up to github but I see no way to subscribe to / watch that
> > issue so I get emailed when it's updated.  Do you know of a way?  I
> > looked carefully, asked google and poked through the github docs and
> > came up empty.  =/
> Comment on it with "I have the same problem," you'll get
> notifications. I don't think there's a way outside of participating.
> > Also, would you kindly update the website with a mention of
> > compatibility with Ruby 1.9.1.  I recommend the downloads page[1].
> It only matters if you're building your own. Since Shoes embeds its
> own Ruby, it's only if you're building that it matters...
> Regardless, I was about to say, "Yeah, it says that right here!"
> but.... it doesn't. I re-did the Wiki recently, that must have slipped
> out. :/ I'll do it right now.

We probably need to add links to how to build Ruby 1.9.1 (it's not easy
in Ubuntu's GUI pkg management) and links to installing RVM which does
work -- unless you have two versions of Shoes with different gems. Our
rush to 1.9.1 has some consequences that are biting casual users
recently.

spiralofhope
2010-11-23 @ 11:17
On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 00:34:14 -0500
Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com> wrote:

> You can already do this, with tags. For instance, here's the Policeman
> release: https://github.com/shoes/shoes/tree/3.0.0

I'll definitely have to explore git some more.

> > Well thanks again for the help, I'll be back with epic tales of todo
> > lists and media databases.  Ok, probably an alarm clock first.
> Please do! You might also be interested in shoes-contrib, a collection
> of examples: https://github.com/shoes/shoes-contrib

I saw that.. I'm really pleased at that sort of thing.  Once I have
some confidence, perusing through simple code will be quite interesting.

Zachary Scott
2010-11-22 @ 15:15
Shoes needs to be built with 1.9.1, there has been some progress made
towards 1.9.2 in the `develop` branch on github. However, the master branch,
which is held for releases, should be built with 1.9.1

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 4:48 AM, spiralofhope <spiralofhope@lavabit.com>wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 23:43:24 -0800
> Devyn Cairns <devyn.cairns@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The Rakefile requires Ruby 1.9, currently. You can, however, fix the
> > Rakefile for 1.8 by changing any 'require_relative' calls to just
> > 'require' — haven't tested this, but I think it should work.
> Thanks for your hint.
> I searched the contents of all files and only found the reference in
> the ./Rakefile where it was only found once on line 4:
> -I/usr/include/gio-unix-2.0/ -I/usr/include/glib-2.0
> -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1
> -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng12  -DVLC_0_8 shoes/app.c
> In file included from ./shoes/app.h:40,
>                 from shoes/app.c:6:
> /shoes/canvas.h:235: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before
> ‘libvlc_exception_t’ rake aborted!
> Command failed with status (1): [gcc -I. -c -oshoes/app.o -Wall
> -I/usr/incl...] /mnt/sdb8/live/projects/rb/Shoes/shoes/Rakefile:110
> rake VIDEO=0 --trace
> pasted here:  http://pastebin.com/5iXkFuxr
> The relevant code in canvas.h is:
> typedef struct {
> #endif
>  int init;
>  VALUE path;
>  SHOES_SLOT_OS *slot;
> } shoes_video;
> line 235 is libvlc_exception_t excp;
> I haven't touched c in years.. I'm not going near the code.
> The Rakefile change definitely leads .. somewhere.  I'm just not sure
> where.  =)

Zachary Scott

Devyn Cairns
2010-11-23 @ 04:57
From the looks of it, they're running 1.8.x.

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 7:15 AM, Zachary Scott <zachary.s.scott@gmail.com>wrote:

> Shoes needs to be built with 1.9.1, there has been some progress made
> towards 1.9.2 in the `develop` branch on github. However, the master branch,
> which is held for releases, should be built with 1.9.1
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 4:48 AM, spiralofhope <spiralofhope@lavabit.com>wrote:
>> On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 23:43:24 -0800
>> Devyn Cairns <devyn.cairns@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > The Rakefile requires Ruby 1.9, currently. You can, however, fix the
>> > Rakefile for 1.8 by changing any 'require_relative' calls to just
>> > 'require' — haven't tested this, but I think it should work.
>> Thanks for your hint.
>> I searched the contents of all files and only found the reference in
>> the ./Rakefile where it was only found once on line 4:
>> -I/usr/include/gio-unix-2.0/ -I/usr/include/glib-2.0
>> -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1
>> -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng12  -DVLC_0_8 shoes/app.c
>> In file included from ./shoes/app.h:40,
>>                 from shoes/app.c:6:
>> /shoes/canvas.h:235: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before
>> ‘libvlc_exception_t’ rake aborted!
>> Command failed with status (1): [gcc -I. -c -oshoes/app.o -Wall
>> -I/usr/incl...] /mnt/sdb8/live/projects/rb/Shoes/shoes/Rakefile:110
>> rake VIDEO=0 --trace
>> pasted here:  http://pastebin.com/5iXkFuxr
>> The relevant code in canvas.h is:
>> typedef struct {
>> #endif
>>  int init;
>>  VALUE path;
>>  SHOES_SLOT_OS *slot;
>> } shoes_video;
>> line 235 is libvlc_exception_t excp;
>> I haven't touched c in years.. I'm not going near the code.
>> The Rakefile change definitely leads .. somewhere.  I'm just not sure