Captivated

Captivated

Jenna Fox
2010-10-17 @ 13:08
Increasingly my imagination has been captivated by one thing. Adobe Air. You
foolish fools foolhardedly go and make your QT, GTK, and Java ports, and
then soon enough seem to struggle against flows and all that, while the
answer is right under your noses.

Have you all forgotten your first grade lesson on the Shoes Origin Story?

To recap: Shoes is a gooey framework which takes all the best bits of the
web, node, processing, and love, and merges them in to a glorious fusion of
wonderment and creative freedom! Shoes works like the web, but better.

The thing is, nowdays, the web works like the web works, but better. Adobe
Air 2 gives you all the wonderment of a 2D canvas, with all the layout power
of the very best CSS3 has to offer in a purely webkit environment! It does
this, with cross platform packaging, and most importantly, as of Adobe Air
2.0 - it includes a wonderful little API to let you run an executable
packaged right there in your air, sipping at it's STDIO, as if you were some
kind of silly terminal emulator!

What's that? Adobe Air can run ruby instances as if it supported popen? And
it runs on Macs, Windows, Linux, and Android phones, and has reliable quick
easy packaging, and fast graphics apis, along with powerful layouts which
work JUST LIKE SHOES?

Yes. Yes it does.

Captivated

Jenna Fox
2010-10-17 @ 13:40
			Increasingly my imagination has been captivated by one thing. Adobe
Air. You foolish fools foolhardedly go and make your QT, GTK, and Java
ports, and then soon enough seem to struggle against flows and all that,
while the answer is right under your noses.Have you all forgotten your
first grade lesson on the Shoes Origin Story?To recap: Shoes is a gooey
framework which takes all the best bits of the web, node, processing, and
love, and merges them in to a glorious fusion of wonderment and creative
freedom! Shoes works like the web, but better.The thing is, nowdays, the
web works like the web, but better. Adobe Air 2 gives you all the
wonderment of a 2D canvas, with all the layout power of the very best CSS3
has to offer in a purely webkit environment! It does this, with cross
platform packaging, and most importantly, as of Adobe Air 2.0 - it
includes a wonderful little API to let you run an executable packaged
right there in your air, sipping at it's STDIO, as if you were some kind
 of silly terminal emulator!What's that? Adobe Air can run ruby instances
as if it supported popen? And it runs on Macs, Windows, Linux, and Android
phones, and has reliable quick easy packaging, and fast graphics apis,
along with powerful layouts which work JUST LIKE SHOES?Yes. Yes it does.

Peter Fitzgibbons
2010-10-17 @ 14:26
I am personally interested in this option. For now it goes on the pile
of possibility that were developing.

Tell us more Jenna,  tell us more!
Fork the repo (blue_shoes is our WhiteShoes base right now), look
around, and give us some help in catching AIR on Ruby Shoes!!

Peter Fitzgibbons
Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 17, 2010, at 8:40 AM, Jenna Fox <a@creativepony.com> wrote:

> Increasingly my imagination has been captivated by one thing. Adobe Air.
You foolish fools foolhardedly go and make your QT, GTK, and Java ports,
and then soon enough seem to struggle against flows and all that, while
the answer is right under your noses.
> Have you all forgotten your first grade lesson on the Shoes Origin Story?
> To recap: Shoes is a gooey framework which takes all the best bits of
the web, node, processing, and love, and merges them in to a glorious
fusion of wonderment and creative freedom! Shoes works like the web, but
better.
> The thing is, nowdays, the web works like the web, but better. Adobe Air
2 gives you all the wonderment of a 2D canvas, with all the layout power
of the very best CSS3 has to offer in a purely webkit environment! It does
this, with cross platform packaging, and most importantly, as of Adobe Air
2.0 - it includes a wonderful little API to let you run an e xecutabl e
packaged right there in your air, sipping at it's STDIO, as if you were
some kind of silly terminal emulator!
> What's that? Adobe Air can run ruby instances as if it supported popen?
And it runs on Macs, Windows, Linux, and Android phones, and has reliable
quick easy packaging, and fast graphics apis, along with powerful layouts
which work JUST LIKE SHOES?
> Yes. Yes it does.

Re: Captivated

Jenna Fox
2010-10-18 @ 15:19

It'd just be a bridge - The shoes objects, like text flows,
shapes, images, videos, would all map directly in to svg and html
elements. It'd require little more than a Shoes-HTML adaptor, and
something akin to DRB implemented in ruby and javascript, to bridge the
objects between them through the ruby instances STDIO. JSON-RPC 1.0 and a
simple proxy-object extension would be an easy way to accomplish that. An
even easier way might be to have the html views act as a slave to ruby,
running any javascript code to arrive from the ruby instance, and
returning it's result (if any) in JSON form.I might have a play with the
idea in months if I find myself with silly amounts of free time, but
lately I've been too busy.Long live shoes!

—Jenna / @Bluebie

On Monday, 18 October 2010 at 1:26 AM, Peter Fitzgibbons wrote:

I am personally interested in this option. For now it goes on
the pileof possibility that were developing.Tell us more Jenna,  tell us
more!Fork the repo (blue_shoes is our WhiteShoes base right now),
lookaround, and give us some help in catching AIR on Ruby Shoes!!Peter
FitzgibbonsSent from my iPhoneOn Oct 17, 2010, at 8:40 AM, Jenna Fox
<a@creativepony.com> wrote: Increasingly my imagination has been
captivated by one thing. Adobe Air. You foolish fools foolhardedly go and
make your QT, GTK, and Java ports, and then soon enough seem to struggle
against flows and all that, while the answer is right under your noses.
Have you all forgotten your first grade lesson on the Shoes Origin Story?
To recap: Shoes is a gooey framework which takes all the best bits of the
web, node, processing, and love, and merges them in to a glorious fusion
of wonderment and creative freedom! Shoes works like the web, but better.
The thing is, nowdays, the web works like the web, but better. Ado
be Air 2 gives you all the wonderment of a 2D canvas, with all the layout
power of the very best CSS3 has to offer in a purely webkit environment!
It does this, with cross platform packaging, and most importantly, as of
Adobe Air 2.0 - it includes a wonderful little API to let you run an e
xecutabl e packaged right there in your air, sipping at it's STDIO, as if
you were some kind of silly terminal emulator! What's that? Adobe Air can
run ruby instances as if it supported popen? And it runs on Macs, Windows,
Linux, and Android phones, and has reliable quick easy packaging, and fast
graphics apis, along with powerful layouts which work JUST LIKE SHOES?
Yes. Yes it does.

Re: [shoes] Re: Captivated

Steve Klabnik
2010-10-18 @ 15:22
I've had a few people ask me about "shoes on the web" before, so an
HTML backend would be pretty awesome....

Re: [shoes] Re: Captivated

Rob Britton
2010-10-18 @ 15:24
Wouldn't Shoes on the web be a little redundant, since Shoes seems to
be designed to bring web-style development to a non-web app?

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com> wrote:
> I've had a few people ask me about "shoes on the web" before, so an
> HTML backend would be pretty awesome....

Re: [shoes] Re: Captivated

Cecil Coupe
2010-10-19 @ 03:31
I vaguely remember someone did a Ruby irb in the browser. Probably the
Jruby folks.

On Mon, 2010-10-18 at 11:24 -0400, Rob Britton wrote:
> Wouldn't Shoes on the web be a little redundant, since Shoes seems to
> be designed to bring web-style development to a non-web app?
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com> wrote:
> > I've had a few people ask me about "shoes on the web" before, so an
> > HTML backend would be pretty awesome....

Re: [shoes] Re: Captivated

Steve Klabnik
2010-10-19 @ 03:52
That was actually why: http://tryruby.org/

Sophorinx (or however he spells it, I always get it wrong) maintains it now.
Source is on GitHub.
On Oct 18, 2010 11:31 PM, "Cecil Coupe" <ccoupe@cableone.net> wrote:
> I vaguely remember someone did a Ruby irb in the browser. Probably the
> Jruby folks.
> On Mon, 2010-10-18 at 11:24 -0400, Rob Britton wrote:
>> Wouldn't Shoes on the web be a little redundant, since Shoes seems to
>> be designed to bring web-style development to a non-web app?
>> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>
wrote:
>> > I've had a few people ask me about "shoes on the web" before, so an
>> > HTML backend would be pretty awesome....

Re: [shoes] Re: Captivated

Steve Klabnik
2010-10-18 @ 15:52
In a way. I think what they were asking for is something like
"SproutCore as Shoes."

Which has nothing to do with Shoes, really... but would be interesting.

Re: [shoes] Re: Captivated

Devyn Cairns
2010-10-18 @ 17:07
Indeed. Some sort of Shoes to JS compiler. Somewhat like Cappuccino, except
with Ruby and Shoes.

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 8:52 AM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:

> In a way. I think what they were asking for is something like
> "SproutCore as Shoes."
> Which has nothing to do with Shoes, really... but would be interesting.

~devyn

Re: [shoes] Re: Captivated

Zachary Scott
2010-10-18 @ 17:30
Have you guys seen ruby racer??

<http://github.com/cowboyd/therubyracer>I've been wanting to play with this
for a while!

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Devyn Cairns <devyn.cairns@gmail.com>wrote:

> Indeed. Some sort of Shoes to JS compiler. Somewhat like Cappuccino, except
> with Ruby and Shoes.
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 8:52 AM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:
>> In a way. I think what they were asking for is something like
>> "SproutCore as Shoes."
>> Which has nothing to do with Shoes, really... but would be interesting.
>     ~devyn

Zachary Scott

Re: [shoes] Re: Captivated

Devyn Cairns
2010-10-18 @ 17:41
Heh, that looks neat. Wouldn't really help with what I was thinking of,
though.

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 10:30 AM, Zachary Scott
<zachary.s.scott@gmail.com>wrote:

> Have you guys seen ruby racer??
> http://github.com/cowboyd/therubyracer
> <http://github.com/cowboyd/therubyracer>I've been wanting to play with
> this for a while!
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Devyn Cairns <devyn.cairns@gmail.com>wrote:
>> Indeed. Some sort of Shoes to JS compiler. Somewhat like Cappuccino,
>> except with Ruby and Shoes.
>> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 8:52 AM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:
>>> In a way. I think what they were asking for is something like
>>> "SproutCore as Shoes."
>>> Which has nothing to do with Shoes, really... but would be interesting.
>> --
>>     ~devyn
> Zachary Scott
> http://zacharyscott.net/
> http://twitter.com/hasmanytweets

~devyn

Steve Klabnik
2010-10-17 @ 15:07
I refuse to support Adobe Air for Shoes because it's proprietary.

Devyn Cairns
2010-10-17 @ 17:10
I suppose that's reasonable. Shoes is completely open, though, so if someone
wants to make a White Shoes-compliant implementation on AIR, they're welcome
to.

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 8:07 AM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:

> I refuse to support Adobe Air for Shoes because it's proprietary.

~devyn

Steve Klabnik
2010-10-17 @ 17:30
> I suppose that's reasonable. Shoes is completely open, though, so if someone
> wants to make a White Shoes-compliant implementation on AIR, they're welcome
> to.

Absolutely. :)

Cecil Coupe
2010-10-17 @ 22:33
When I think about how well Adobe supports Flash on Linux, I'll pass on
building anything that requires Adobe products.

On Sun, 2010-10-17 at 11:07 -0400, Steve Klabnik wrote:
> I refuse to support Adobe Air for Shoes because it's proprietary.

Devyn Cairns
2010-10-18 @ 03:17
That too.

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Cecil Coupe <ccoupe@cableone.net> wrote:

> When I think about how well Adobe supports Flash on Linux, I'll pass on
> building anything that requires Adobe products.
> On Sun, 2010-10-17 at 11:07 -0400, Steve Klabnik wrote:
> > I refuse to support Adobe Air for Shoes because it's proprietary.

~devyn

Jenna Fox
2010-10-20 @ 09:43
When was it announced that Shoes is abandoning support for Windows and Mac
OS X?

On 18 October 2010 02:07, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com> wrote:

> I refuse to support Adobe Air for Shoes because it's proprietary.

Peter Fitzgibbons
2010-10-20 @ 10:02
That was a bit of a cheeky response to our concern for _developing_ with
proprietary software.  ;)

Peter Fitzgibbons
(847) 859-9550
Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 4:43 AM, Jenna Fox <a@creativepony.com> wrote:

> When was it announced that Shoes is abandoning support for Windows and Mac
> OS X?
> On 18 October 2010 02:07, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com> wrote:
>> I refuse to support Adobe Air for Shoes because it's proprietary.

Jenna Fox
2010-10-20 @ 13:12
Cocoa and the Win32 APIs are both APIs for creating windows and native
controls, drawing graphics on to those surfaces, and receiving UI events.
They are proprietary in every sense.

Adobe AIR does the same thing, but is quite cross platform, and lays out
objects in a more shoes-like manner. It makes use of technologies more
familiar to many ruby developers, and substantial parts of it's API are
available in alternative implementations (javascript, w3c dom, css, html
layout, etc..)

Additionally Adobe AIR includes packager tools which are reliable on every
platform - something which has never been true of Shoes, but has always been
a goal.

If you could please explain how developing for several fully proprietary
platform specific APIs is better than developing for a cross platform and
partially standardised API, I'm certain I'd find that enlightening. :)

On 20 October 2010 21:02, Peter Fitzgibbons <peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com>wrote:

> That was a bit of a cheeky response to our concern for _developing_ with
> proprietary software.  ;)
> Peter Fitzgibbons
> (847) 859-9550
> Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
> IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
> IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 4:43 AM, Jenna Fox <a@creativepony.com> wrote:
>> When was it announced that Shoes is abandoning support for Windows and Mac
>> OS X?
>> On 18 October 2010 02:07, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com> wrote:
>>> I refuse to support Adobe Air for Shoes because it's proprietary.

Peter Fitzgibbons
2010-10-20 @ 14:03
Ahh, Jenna, you may have missed our "White Shoes" project, along with
Blue_Shoes/Green_Shoes/Brown_Shoes.

The fact is that our development efforts in the current-day are to switch
the code-base to use GTK or QT or Java/Swing(via JRuby).
As far as packaging, that is a task-level effort that the Shoes team is
tackling within the WhiteShoes project.

As Cecil Coupe noted : "When I think about how well Adobe supports Flash on
Linux, I'll pass on
building anything that requires Adobe products."

I freely admit that I have an Ubuntu 10.10 installed vm that I have not
built up any environment upon... so maybe I could give AIR a crack there if
you could point me to some useful "test apps".  Specific to our interests
are an app that would demonstrate graphical gymnastics, with drawing,
layering, color control, image rendering and control, etc, ... then a
"widget" app, that demonstrates the business side of Shoes... textboxes,
buttons, sliders, labels, etc.

Thoughts?

Peter Fitzgibbons
(847) 859-9550
Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 8:12 AM, Jenna Fox <a@creativepony.com> wrote:

> Cocoa and the Win32 APIs are both APIs for creating windows and native
> controls, drawing graphics on to those surfaces, and receiving UI events.
> They are proprietary in every sense.
> Adobe AIR does the same thing, but is quite cross platform, and lays out
> objects in a more shoes-like manner. It makes use of technologies more
> familiar to many ruby developers, and substantial parts of it's API are
> available in alternative implementations (javascript, w3c dom, css, html
> layout, etc..)
> Additionally Adobe AIR includes packager tools which are reliable on every
> platform - something which has never been true of Shoes, but has always been
> a goal.
> If you could please explain how developing for several fully proprietary
> platform specific APIs is better than developing for a cross platform and
> partially standardised API, I'm certain I'd find that enlightening. :)
>> That was a bit of a cheeky response to our concern for _developing_ with
>> proprietary software.  ;)
>> Peter Fitzgibbons
>> (847) 859-9550
>> Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
>> IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
>> IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
>> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 4:43 AM, Jenna Fox <a@creativepony.com> wrote:
>>> When was it announced that Shoes is abandoning support for Windows and
>>> Mac OS X?
>>> On 18 October 2010 02:07, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com> wrote:
>>>> I refuse to support Adobe Air for Shoes because it's proprietary.
>>>>

Cecil Coupe
2010-10-20 @ 19:11
Please read the license for Adobe Air and 'products'. It's not
acceptable open source and hobbyists.

On Wed, 2010-10-20 at 09:03 -0500, Peter Fitzgibbons wrote:
> Ahh, Jenna, you may have missed our "White Shoes" project, along with
> Blue_Shoes/Green_Shoes/Brown_Shoes.
> The fact is that our development efforts in the current-day are to
> switch the code-base to use GTK or QT or Java/Swing(via JRuby).
> As far as packaging, that is a task-level effort that the Shoes team
> is tackling within the WhiteShoes project.
> As Cecil Coupe noted : "When I think about how well Adobe supports
> Flash on Linux, I'll pass on
> building anything that requires Adobe products."
> I freely admit that I have an Ubuntu 10.10 installed vm that I have
> not built up any environment upon... so maybe I could give AIR a crack
> there if you could point me to some useful "test apps".  Specific to
> our interests are an app that would demonstrate graphical gymnastics,
> with drawing, layering, color control, image rendering and control,
> etc, ... then a "widget" app, that demonstrates the business side of
> Shoes... textboxes, buttons, sliders, labels, etc.
> Thoughts?
> Peter Fitzgibbons
> (847) 859-9550
> Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
> IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
> IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 8:12 AM, Jenna Fox <a@creativepony.com> wrote:
>         Cocoa and the Win32 APIs are both APIs for creating windows
>         and native controls, drawing graphics on to those surfaces,
>         and receiving UI events. They are proprietary in every sense.
>         Adobe AIR does the same thing, but is quite cross platform,
>         and lays out objects in a more shoes-like manner. It makes use
>         of technologies more familiar to many ruby developers, and
>         substantial parts of it's API are available in alternative
>         implementations (javascript, w3c dom, css, html layout, etc..)
>         Additionally Adobe AIR includes packager tools which are
>         reliable on every platform - something which has never been
>         true of Shoes, but has always been a goal.
>         If you could please explain how developing for several fully
>         proprietary platform specific APIs is better than developing
>         for a cross platform and partially standardised API, I'm
>         certain I'd find that enlightening. :)
>         On 20 October 2010 21:02, Peter Fitzgibbons
>         <peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com> wrote:
>                 That was a bit of a cheeky response to our concern for
>                 _developing_ with proprietary software.  ;)
>                 Peter Fitzgibbons
>                 (847) 859-9550
>                 Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
>                 IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
>                 IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
>                 On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 4:43 AM, Jenna Fox
>                 <a@creativepony.com> wrote:
>                         When was it announced that Shoes is abandoning
>                         support for Windows and Mac OS X?
>                         On 18 October 2010 02:07, Steve Klabnik
>                         <steve@steveklabnik.com> wrote:
>                                 I refuse to support Adobe Air for
>                                 Shoes because it's proprietary.

Devyn Cairns
2010-10-20 @ 22:26
Yes. It's very restrictive. That said, I think we'll probably be using a
very unrestrictive license for Shoes, so if someone wishes to make an AIR
version (so long as AIR's license doesn't interfere)—it's fine.

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 12:11 PM, Cecil Coupe <ccoupe@cableone.net> wrote:

> Please read the license for Adobe Air and 'products'. It's not
> acceptable open source and hobbyists.
> On Wed, 2010-10-20 at 09:03 -0500, Peter Fitzgibbons wrote:
> > Ahh, Jenna, you may have missed our "White Shoes" project, along with
> > Blue_Shoes/Green_Shoes/Brown_Shoes.
> > The fact is that our development efforts in the current-day are to
> > switch the code-base to use GTK or QT or Java/Swing(via JRuby).
> > As far as packaging, that is a task-level effort that the Shoes team
> > is tackling within the WhiteShoes project.
> > As Cecil Coupe noted : "When I think about how well Adobe supports
> > Flash on Linux, I'll pass on
> > building anything that requires Adobe products."
> > I freely admit that I have an Ubuntu 10.10 installed vm that I have
> > not built up any environment upon... so maybe I could give AIR a crack
> > there if you could point me to some useful "test apps".  Specific to
> > our interests are an app that would demonstrate graphical gymnastics,
> > with drawing, layering, color control, image rendering and control,
> > etc, ... then a "widget" app, that demonstrates the business side of
> > Shoes... textboxes, buttons, sliders, labels, etc.
> > Thoughts?
> > Peter Fitzgibbons
> > (847) 859-9550
> > Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
> > IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
> > IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
> > On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 8:12 AM, Jenna Fox <a@creativepony.com> wrote:
> >         Cocoa and the Win32 APIs are both APIs for creating windows
> >         and native controls, drawing graphics on to those surfaces,
> >         and receiving UI events. They are proprietary in every sense.
> >         Adobe AIR does the same thing, but is quite cross platform,
> >         and lays out objects in a more shoes-like manner. It makes use
> >         of technologies more familiar to many ruby developers, and
> >         substantial parts of it's API are available in alternative
> >         implementations (javascript, w3c dom, css, html layout, etc..)
> >         Additionally Adobe AIR includes packager tools which are
> >         reliable on every platform - something which has never been
> >         true of Shoes, but has always been a goal.
> >         If you could please explain how developing for several fully
> >         proprietary platform specific APIs is better than developing
> >         for a cross platform and partially standardised API, I'm
> >         certain I'd find that enlightening. :)
> >         On 20 October 2010 21:02, Peter Fitzgibbons
> >         <peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com> wrote:
> >                 That was a bit of a cheeky response to our concern for
> >                 _developing_ with proprietary software.  ;)
> >                 Peter Fitzgibbons
> >                 (847) 859-9550
> >                 Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
> >                 IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
> >                 IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
> >                 On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 4:43 AM, Jenna Fox
> >                 <a@creativepony.com> wrote:
> >                         When was it announced that Shoes is abandoning
> >                         support for Windows and Mac OS X?
> >                         On 18 October 2010 02:07, Steve Klabnik
> >                         <steve@steveklabnik.com> wrote:
> >                                 I refuse to support Adobe Air for
> >                                 Shoes because it's proprietary.

~devyn

Peter Fitzgibbons
2010-10-22 @ 10:21
So, Jenna (really?),

I just googled "ruby adobe air" and came up sorta short on useful AIR+Ruby
resources.  Everything I saw was Rails-centric.

Could you point me to a good tutorial on building AIR+Ruby desktop ?

Thanks,

Peter Fitzgibbons
(847) 859-9550
Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 5:26 PM, Devyn Cairns <devyn.cairns@gmail.com>wrote:

> Yes. It's very restrictive. That said, I think we'll probably be using a
> very unrestrictive license for Shoes, so if someone wishes to make an AIR
> version (so long as AIR's license doesn't interfere)—it's fine.
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 12:11 PM, Cecil Coupe <ccoupe@cableone.net> wrote:
>> Please read the license for Adobe Air and 'products'. It's not
>> acceptable open source and hobbyists.
>> On Wed, 2010-10-20 at 09:03 -0500, Peter Fitzgibbons wrote:
>> > Ahh, Jenna, you may have missed our "White Shoes" project, along with
>> > Blue_Shoes/Green_Shoes/Brown_Shoes.
>> >
>> > The fact is that our development efforts in the current-day are to
>> > switch the code-base to use GTK or QT or Java/Swing(via JRuby).
>> > As far as packaging, that is a task-level effort that the Shoes team
>> > is tackling within the WhiteShoes project.
>> > As Cecil Coupe noted : "When I think about how well Adobe supports
>> > Flash on Linux, I'll pass on
>> > building anything that requires Adobe products."
>> > I freely admit that I have an Ubuntu 10.10 installed vm that I have
>> > not built up any environment upon... so maybe I could give AIR a crack
>> > there if you could point me to some useful "test apps".  Specific to
>> > our interests are an app that would demonstrate graphical gymnastics,
>> > with drawing, layering, color control, image rendering and control,
>> > etc, ... then a "widget" app, that demonstrates the business side of
>> > Shoes... textboxes, buttons, sliders, labels, etc.
>> > Thoughts?
>> > Peter Fitzgibbons
>> > (847) 859-9550
>> > Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
>> > IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
>> > IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
>> > On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 8:12 AM, Jenna Fox <a@creativepony.com> wrote:
>> >         Cocoa and the Win32 APIs are both APIs for creating windows
>> >         and native controls, drawing graphics on to those surfaces,
>> >         and receiving UI events. They are proprietary in every sense.
>> >         Adobe AIR does the same thing, but is quite cross platform,
>> >         and lays out objects in a more shoes-like manner. It makes use
>> >         of technologies more familiar to many ruby developers, and
>> >         substantial parts of it's API are available in alternative
>> >         implementations (javascript, w3c dom, css, html layout, etc..)
>> >         Additionally Adobe AIR includes packager tools which are
>> >         reliable on every platform - something which has never been
>> >         true of Shoes, but has always been a goal.
>> >
>> >         If you could please explain how developing for several fully
>> >         proprietary platform specific APIs is better than developing
>> >         for a cross platform and partially standardised API, I'm
>> >         certain I'd find that enlightening. :)
>> >         On 20 October 2010 21:02, Peter Fitzgibbons
>> >         <peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >                 That was a bit of a cheeky response to our concern for
>> >                 _developing_ with proprietary software.  ;)
>> >                 Peter Fitzgibbons
>> >                 (847) 859-9550
>> >                 Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
>> >                 IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
>> >                 IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
>> >                 On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 4:43 AM, Jenna Fox
>> >                 <a@creativepony.com> wrote:
>> >                         When was it announced that Shoes is abandoning
>> >                         support for Windows and Mac OS X?
>> >                         On 18 October 2010 02:07, Steve Klabnik
>> >                         <steve@steveklabnik.com> wrote:
>> >                                 I refuse to support Adobe Air for
>> >                                 Shoes because it's proprietary.
>     ~devyn

Devyn Cairns
2010-10-20 @ 16:46
On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 7:03 AM, Peter Fitzgibbons <
peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ahh, Jenna, you may have missed our "White Shoes" project, along with
> Blue_Shoes/Green_Shoes/Brown_Shoes.
> The fact is that our development efforts in the current-day are to switch
> the code-base to use GTK or QT or Java/Swing(via JRuby).
> As far as packaging, that is a task-level effort that the Shoes team is
> tackling within the WhiteShoes project.

And really, anything else. White Shoes-based forks are encouraged.

> As Cecil Coupe noted : "When I think about how well Adobe supports Flash
> on Linux, I'll pass on
> building anything that requires Adobe products."
> I freely admit that I have an Ubuntu 10.10 installed vm that I have not
> built up any environment upon... so maybe I could give AIR a crack there if
> you could point me to some useful "test apps".  Specific to our interests
> are an app that would demonstrate graphical gymnastics, with drawing,
> layering, color control, image rendering and control, etc, ... then a
> "widget" app, that demonstrates the business side of Shoes... textboxes,
> buttons, sliders, labels, etc.
> Thoughts?
> Peter Fitzgibbons
> (847) 859-9550
> Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
> IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
> IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 8:12 AM, Jenna Fox <a@creativepony.com> wrote:
>> Cocoa and the Win32 APIs are both APIs for creating windows and native
>> controls, drawing graphics on to those surfaces, and receiving UI events.
>> They are proprietary in every sense.
>> Adobe AIR does the same thing, but is quite cross platform, and lays out
>> objects in a more shoes-like manner. It makes use of technologies more
>> familiar to many ruby developers, and substantial parts of it's API are
>> available in alternative implementations (javascript, w3c dom, css, html
>> layout, etc..)
>> Additionally Adobe AIR includes packager tools which are reliable on every
>> platform - something which has never been true of Shoes, but has always been
>> a goal.
>> If you could please explain how developing for several fully proprietary
>> platform specific APIs is better than developing for a cross platform and
>> partially standardised API, I'm certain I'd find that enlightening. :)
>> On 20 October 2010 21:02, Peter Fitzgibbons <peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com>wrote:
>>> That was a bit of a cheeky response to our concern for _developing_ with
>>> proprietary software.  ;)
>>> Peter Fitzgibbons
>>> (847) 859-9550
>>> Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
>>> IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
>>> IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
>>> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 4:43 AM, Jenna Fox <a@creativepony.com> wrote:
>>>> When was it announced that Shoes is abandoning support for Windows and
>>>> Mac OS X?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On 18 October 2010 02:07, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> I refuse to support Adobe Air for Shoes because it's proprietary.
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>

~devyn

ashbb
2010-10-20 @ 14:08
Hi Jenna,

Awesome! I'd love to see your Air Shoes. Feel free to create whatever you
want. :-D

Let's have fun with colorful Shoes!

Cheers,