librelist archives

« back to archive

Green Shoes to White Shoes : A Modularization/Centralization Project

Green Shoes to White Shoes : A Modularization/Centralization Project

From:
Peter Fitzgibbons
Date:
2010-10-11 @ 03:39
I HI Ash, Zak, friends,

I have been working with Steve Klabnik on QT Shoes and modularizing the
shoes-core and shoes-gui.

My Iteration 0 of this project is in pull-request status to steve on
feature/white_shoes_gui.

At least one of you suggested moving through the original Shoes Manual as a
first-run smoke test, so that's where i'm headed next.

I think much refactoring will be realized when we start merging the GTK and
JRuby "gui" modules into WhiteShoes.

So, Ash, Zak and Scott, could you look at my fork/commit, tell me your
thoughts on continuing this project?

Thanks,

Peter Fitzgibbons
(847) 859-9550
Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com

Re: [shoes] Green Shoes to White Shoes : A Modularization/Centralization Project

From:
ashbb
Date:
2010-10-11 @ 09:01
Hi Peter,

> I have been working with Steve Klabnik on QT Shoes and
> modularizing the shoes-core and shoes-gui.
Wow, cool! Let's enjoy colorful Shoes. :)

I downloaded your blue_shoes from
http://github.com/pjfitzgibbons/blue_shoes/tree/feature/white_shoes_gui

Then I ran blue_shoes/samples/shoes-man-hello.rb. But unfortunately I got
the following error:

C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/bundler-1.0.2/lib/bundler/spec_set.rb:87:
in `block in materialize': Could not find diff-lcs-1.1.2 in any of
the sources (Bundler::GemNotFound)


Umm,... sorry there must be something wrong in my Windows 7 environment. But
I couldn't find a reason. I've never used bundler. :-P

BTW.
I walked through blue_shoes/lib/blue_shoes/gui/qt/*.rb a little. Then I
noticed a big difference between Blue Shoes and Green Shoes.

- In Blue Shoes all classes are inherited from Qt::xxx, but in Green Shoes
no classes are inherited from GTK::xxx.

I don't think it's a problem, but a big difference of approach.
I'm not sure which is better. Because we are just getting started. ;-)

ashbb

Re: [shoes] Green Shoes to White Shoes : A Modularization/Centralization Project

From:
Peter Fitzgibbons
Date:
2010-10-11 @ 15:01
HI Ash,

RE: Shoes::GUI + Qt + Gtk (+ Jruby/swing),

Well, I forsee the centralization of Gui will include some refatorings where
the "common denominator" between Gtk and Qt are resolved.
The Gtk equivalents of Shoes::Gui::Icon may not require subclassing, yet
hopefully there is a refactoring that will allow the Shoes::Gui to have an
API that is agnostic to the gui-lib.  I'm going on the assumption that as we
move along, the generalizations we find will also find compatability with
J/swing

I was looking at the Gtk implementation today and I already see some
necessary refactoring to properly encapsulate the gui-libs (for instance
GreenShoes.Shoes::App#oval and GreenShoes.Shoes::App#rgb )

Anyway, continuing to look at the possibilities.
I'm interested to hear your thoughts on approach to this.

Regards,

Peter Fitzgibbons
(847) 859-9550
Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com


On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 4:01 AM, ashbb <ashbbb@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
>
> > I have been working with Steve Klabnik on QT Shoes and
> > modularizing the shoes-core and shoes-gui.
> Wow, cool! Let's enjoy colorful Shoes. :)
>
> I downloaded your blue_shoes from
> http://github.com/pjfitzgibbons/blue_shoes/tree/feature/white_shoes_gui
>
> Then I ran blue_shoes/samples/shoes-man-hello.rb. But unfortunately I got
> the following error:
>
> C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/bundler-1.0.2/lib/bundler/spec_set.rb:87:
> in `block in materialize': Could not find diff-lcs-1.1.2 in any of
> the sources (Bundler::GemNotFound)
>
>
> Umm,... sorry there must be something wrong in my Windows 7 environment.
> But I couldn't find a reason. I've never used bundler. :-P
>
> BTW.
> I walked through blue_shoes/lib/blue_shoes/gui/qt/*.rb a little. Then I
> noticed a big difference between Blue Shoes and Green Shoes.
>
> - In Blue Shoes all classes are inherited from Qt::xxx, but in Green Shoes
> no classes are inherited from GTK::xxx.
>
> I don't think it's a problem, but a big difference of approach.
> I'm not sure which is better. Because we are just getting started. ;-)
>
> ashbb
>
>

Re: [shoes] Green Shoes to White Shoes : A Modularization/Centralization Project

From:
ashbb
Date:
2010-10-12 @ 14:07
Hi Peter, Steve et al,

I'd like to discuss about this point:

> > - In Blue Shoes all classes are inherited from Qt::xxx, but in Green
Shoes
> > no classes are inherited from GTK::xxx.
>
> Hm, yeah. I _have_ to subclass them with qtruby...

Look at my first try for Blue Shoes:
http://github.com/ashbb/blue_shoes/blob/master/lib/shoes/main.rb

Yes, I had to subclass AppWindow with Qt::Widget.
But only that. Other classes are not subclassed with Qt.
So, I could use other code both with Blue Shoes and Green Shoes.

But I have no experience to write any apps with Qt.
Could you show me good QtRuby tutorials or api references?

I'd like to study QtRuby a little more. :)

ashbb

Re: [shoes] Green Shoes to White Shoes : A Modularization/Centralization Project

From:
Scott Werner
Date:
2010-10-12 @ 14:14
Looks good Peter, I'll keep an eye on your fork to try to think about how I
could integrate brown_shoes with what you're doing.

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 10:07 AM, ashbb <ashbbb@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Peter, Steve et al,
>
> I'd like to discuss about this point:
>
>
> > > - In Blue Shoes all classes are inherited from Qt::xxx, but in Green
> Shoes
> > > no classes are inherited from GTK::xxx.
> >
> > Hm, yeah. I _have_ to subclass them with qtruby...
>
> Look at my first try for Blue Shoes:
> http://github.com/ashbb/blue_shoes/blob/master/lib/shoes/main.rb
>
> Yes, I had to subclass AppWindow with Qt::Widget.
> But only that. Other classes are not subclassed with Qt.
> So, I could use other code both with Blue Shoes and Green Shoes.
>
> But I have no experience to write any apps with Qt.
> Could you show me good QtRuby tutorials or api references?
>
> I'd like to study QtRuby a little more. :)
>
> ashbb
>
>

Re: [shoes] Green Shoes to White Shoes : A Modularization/Centralization Project

From:
Peter Fitzgibbons
Date:
2010-10-12 @ 14:19
I have a half-baked plan a.t.m. to begin integrating
green_shoes#{alert,button,para} with Shoes::Gui.  I think that will give us
a feel for the eventual API of Shoes::Gui.  After Green/Blue, I'll try
merging brown too.
Half Baked

I still have some loadpath/require issues, and also I'm going to start
RSpecing the Shoes::Gui, so we'll see how things progress.

Peter Fitzgibbons
(847) 859-9550
Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com


On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Scott Werner <stwerner@vt.edu> wrote:

> Looks good Peter, I'll keep an eye on your fork to try to think about how I
> could integrate brown_shoes with what you're doing.
>
>
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 10:07 AM, ashbb <ashbbb@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Peter, Steve et al,
>>
>> I'd like to discuss about this point:
>>
>>
>> > > - In Blue Shoes all classes are inherited from Qt::xxx, but in Green
>> Shoes
>> > > no classes are inherited from GTK::xxx.
>> >
>> > Hm, yeah. I _have_ to subclass them with qtruby...
>>
>> Look at my first try for Blue Shoes:
>> http://github.com/ashbb/blue_shoes/blob/master/lib/shoes/main.rb
>>
>> Yes, I had to subclass AppWindow with Qt::Widget.
>> But only that. Other classes are not subclassed with Qt.
>> So, I could use other code both with Blue Shoes and Green Shoes.
>>
>> But I have no experience to write any apps with Qt.
>> Could you show me good QtRuby tutorials or api references?
>>
>> I'd like to study QtRuby a little more. :)
>>
>> ashbb
>>
>>
>

Re: [shoes] Green Shoes to White Shoes : A Modularization/Centralization Project

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2010-10-12 @ 14:19
> But I have no experience to write any apps with Qt.
> Could you show me good QtRuby tutorials or api references?

qtruby is basically a straight port of the C++ API. Any class like
QApplication just becomes Qt::Application, and any
methodOrFunctionName becomes method_or_function_name. So you can
pretty much just use the C++ docs:
http://doc.trolltech.com/4.7/index.html

That said, this is the best qtruby specific tutorial I've found:
http://www.darshancomputing.com/qt4-qtruby-tutorial/

Re: [shoes] Green Shoes to White Shoes : A Modularization/Centralization Project

From:
ashbb
Date:
2010-10-12 @ 14:27
Thanks, Steve.

Okay, I'm going to walk through them. :)

ashbb

Re: [shoes] Green Shoes to White Shoes : A Modularization/Centralization Project

From:
Cecil Coupe
Date:
2010-10-13 @ 04:05
On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 23:07 +0900, ashbb wrote:
> Hi Peter, Steve et al,
> 
> I'd like to discuss about this point:
> 
> > > - In Blue Shoes all classes are inherited from Qt::xxx, but in
> Green Shoes
> > > no classes are inherited from GTK::xxx.
> > 
> > Hm, yeah. I _have_ to subclass them with qtruby...
> 
> Look at my first try for Blue Shoes:
> http://github.com/ashbb/blue_shoes/blob/master/lib/shoes/main.rb
> 
> Yes, I had to subclass AppWindow with Qt::Widget.
> But only that. Other classes are not subclassed with Qt.

I believe this (ashbb) is the correct approach. Shoes::Button is not a C
++ subclass of QT::PushButton or Java.Swing.Button (sp?). In an ideal
world it would be a subclass of Shoes::BaseWidget or similar name. Might
be a good time to make that happen.  Shoes::Flow and Shoes::Stack should
be subclasses of Shoes::Layout. Just in case there is a need for a new
widget or layout that should be added to Shoes. Video widget comes mind.

The Ruby code in Shoes::Button (or Canvas or Editbox, ...) has to
explicitly call c++ or java or gtk2 'new' and store the pointer/object
reference returned in a Shoes structure (layout: flow or stack) and
manage the alloc/free issues of the C++ or Java object reference  as
well as explicitly connect the event/signal/handler from the GUI toolkit
to a Shoes/Ruby block in the correct Shoes scope and maps the Shoes
arguments/return values into whatever the toolkits use. 

Once there is two feature complete Shoes of any other color then we have
something to unify. 



> So, I could use other code both with Blue Shoes and Green Shoes.
> 
> But I have no experience to write any apps with Qt.
> Could you show me good QtRuby tutorials or api references?
> 
> I'd like to study QtRuby a little more. :)
> 
> ashbb
> 

Re: [shoes] Green Shoes to White Shoes : A Modularization/Centralization Project

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2010-10-13 @ 04:34
> I believe this (ashbb) is the correct approach. Shoes::Button is not a C
> ++ subclass of QT::PushButton or Java.Swing.Button (sp?).

Yeah, the classes are a bit crazy. For reference:
http://shoesrb.com/manual/Classes.html

I tried to copy all of this down and get it into Blue Shoes directly.

Re: [shoes] Green Shoes to White Shoes : A Modularization/Centralization Project

From:
Devyn Cairns
Date:
2010-10-13 @ 04:49
You know, we… really don't have to stick to that spec at all. Just aim for
compatibility with existing Shoes apps—but who cares what our specs are?
They can be better than that.

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 9:34 PM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:

> > I believe this (ashbb) is the correct approach. Shoes::Button is not a C
> > ++ subclass of QT::PushButton or Java.Swing.Button (sp?).
>
> Yeah, the classes are a bit crazy. For reference:
> http://shoesrb.com/manual/Classes.html
>
> I tried to copy all of this down and get it into Blue Shoes directly.
>



-- 
    ~devyn

Re: [shoes] Green Shoes to White Shoes : A Modularization/Centralization Project

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2010-10-13 @ 13:04
> You know, we… really don't have to stick to that spec at all. Just aim for
> compatibility with existing Shoes apps—but who cares what our specs are?
> They can be better than that.

This is also true...

> I don't know if that belongs in the "Manual" for 'mere' users but it is
> an important bit of developer documentation. Thank you.

Don't thank me, that's been in the manual for as long as I can remember.

Re: [shoes] Green Shoes to White Shoes : A Modularization/Centralization Project

From:
Peter Fitzgibbons
Date:
2010-10-13 @ 14:03
Thank you Martin, Cecil, Devyn, Steve for your thoughts on this.

A general reply and acknowledgement :

Yes, you're on the right path, creating module/class "wrappers" to the
platforms is definitely in order.  That's what I've done with Shoes::Gui.
 The idea (more details if you inspect the code) is that "require
'shoes/gui/qt' " will load up qt.rb, which will load subclasses and setup
modules to re-open Shoes::Gui and implement all the APIs required by the
base Shoes::Gui.  This is most easily done with mixins, as far as I know.

The implementation detail of each gui-lib is up to the developer of that
lib... all that matters is the Shoes::Gui api and compliance to it.

Re: base-classes : I hope we can take an agilist attitude toward this
codebase and wait to build subclassing/encapsulations until it is
necessary/prudent in-the-moment.  The most difficult libs that I have used
are ones that encapsulate/subclass with nothing in the baseclass.  To me
that is clearly developing "futureware" and is a code smell.

Please read the next message in this thread.

Peter Fitzgibbons
(847) 859-9550
Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com


On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 8:04 AM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:

> > You know, we… really don't have to stick to that spec at all. Just aim
> for
> > compatibility with existing Shoes apps—but who cares what our specs are?
> > They can be better than that.
>
> This is also true...
>
> > I don't know if that belongs in the "Manual" for 'mere' users but it is
> > an important bit of developer documentation. Thank you.
>
> Don't thank me, that's been in the manual for as long as I can remember.
>

Re: [shoes] Green Shoes to White Shoes : A Modularization/Centralization Project

From:
Peter Fitzgibbons
Date:
2010-10-13 @ 14:05
Ashbb, Zak,

I'd like to know if you intend on moving forward with GreenShoes.  If so, I
will continue to build the WhiteShoes Shoes::Gui and begin a trivial
integration of Shoes::Gui::Gtk (probably alert and para).  I will have
questions and it would be great if you wanted to also work on the same code
base.

Your thoughts?

Peter Fitzgibbons
(847) 859-9550
Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com


On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 8:04 AM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:

> > You know, we… really don't have to stick to that spec at all. Just aim
> for
> > compatibility with existing Shoes apps—but who cares what our specs are?
> > They can be better than that.
>
> This is also true...
>
> > I don't know if that belongs in the "Manual" for 'mere' users but it is
> > an important bit of developer documentation. Thank you.
>
> Don't thank me, that's been in the manual for as long as I can remember.
>

Re: [shoes] Green Shoes to White Shoes : A Modularization/Centralization Project

From:
Zachary Scott
Date:
2010-10-13 @ 15:46
On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 10:05 AM, Peter Fitzgibbons <
peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ashbb, Zak,
>
> I'd like to know if you intend on moving forward with GreenShoes.  If so, I
> will continue to build the WhiteShoes Shoes::Gui and begin a trivial
> integration of Shoes::Gui::Gtk (probably alert and para).  I will have
> questions and it would be great if you wanted to also work on the same code
> base.
>
>
While I can't speak for さとし あさかわ せんぱい, I can say that I'm partial to GTK as
a Gnome/Ubuntu user; however, I plan on helping with both blue and green as
much as I can.

We're heading in the right direction with Shoes and I'm very excited about
the future of the project, and glad to have everyone on board with what's
been going on.

The upcoming shoesfest is going to be great as well, and I plan on making
some good progress on my shoes 3 app (twittershoes), as well as an entirely
new application which will be written from the ground up with the new shoes
spec. It will be interesting to work on both applications along with blue
and green shoes, and help test each framework out.

Let me know if you make any progress on Shoes::Gui::Gtk and I will gladly
merge your changes with さとし and my branches. I think there has been some
really great progress in green_shoes and hope to see it continue! I don't
mind handling all the spec merging and gem packaging if it helps さとし focus
on making green_shoes better.


Your thoughts?
>
> Peter Fitzgibbons
> (847) 859-9550
> Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
> IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
> IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
>
>
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 8:04 AM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:
>
>> > You know, we… really don't have to stick to that spec at all. Just aim
>> for
>> > compatibility with existing Shoes apps—but who cares what our specs are?
>> > They can be better than that.
>>
>> This is also true...
>>
>> > I don't know if that belongs in the "Manual" for 'mere' users but it is
>> > an important bit of developer documentation. Thank you.
>>
>> Don't thank me, that's been in the manual for as long as I can remember.
>>
>
>


-- 
Zachary Scott

http://zacharyscott.net/
http://twitter.com/hasmanytweets

Re: [shoes] Green Shoes to White Shoes : A Modularization/Centralization Project

From:
Peter Fitzgibbons
Date:
2010-10-13 @ 16:14
Thanks Zak,
Gem and packaging is all yours if you want it!
I'll send an update when I get some more work done.  Will be working on real
work today & tomorrow.

Later,
Peter Fitzgibbons
(847) 859-9550
Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com


On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 10:46 AM, Zachary Scott
<zachary.s.scott@gmail.com>wrote:

>
>
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 10:05 AM, Peter Fitzgibbons <
> peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Ashbb, Zak,
>>
>> I'd like to know if you intend on moving forward with GreenShoes.  If so,
>> I will continue to build the WhiteShoes Shoes::Gui and begin a trivial
>> integration of Shoes::Gui::Gtk (probably alert and para).  I will have
>> questions and it would be great if you wanted to also work on the same code
>> base.
>>
>>
> While I can't speak for さとし あさかわ せんぱい, I can say that I'm partial to GTK as
> a Gnome/Ubuntu user; however, I plan on helping with both blue and green as
> much as I can.
>
> We're heading in the right direction with Shoes and I'm very excited about
> the future of the project, and glad to have everyone on board with what's
> been going on.
>
> The upcoming shoesfest is going to be great as well, and I plan on making
> some good progress on my shoes 3 app (twittershoes), as well as an entirely
> new application which will be written from the ground up with the new shoes
> spec. It will be interesting to work on both applications along with blue
> and green shoes, and help test each framework out.
>
> Let me know if you make any progress on Shoes::Gui::Gtk and I will gladly
> merge your changes with さとし and my branches. I think there has been some
> really great progress in green_shoes and hope to see it continue! I don't
> mind handling all the spec merging and gem packaging if it helps さとし focus
> on making green_shoes better.
>
>
> Your thoughts?
>>
>> Peter Fitzgibbons
>> (847) 859-9550
>> Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
>> IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
>> IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
>>
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 8:04 AM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:
>>
>>> > You know, we… really don't have to stick to that spec at all. Just aim
>>> for
>>> > compatibility with existing Shoes apps―but who cares what our specs
>>> are?
>>> > They can be better than that.
>>>
>>> This is also true...
>>>
>>> > I don't know if that belongs in the "Manual" for 'mere' users but it is
>>> > an important bit of developer documentation. Thank you.
>>>
>>> Don't thank me, that's been in the manual for as long as I can remember.
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
> --
> Zachary Scott
>
> http://zacharyscott.net/
> http://twitter.com/hasmanytweets
>

Re: [shoes] Green Shoes to White Shoes : A Modularization/Centralization Project

From:
ashbb
Date:
2010-10-14 @ 14:27
Hi Peter,

> I'll send an update when I get some more work done.
Any challenge is welcome.
If you'd do something, feel free sending me a pull request.
I'll check it out asap. ;-)

ashbb

Re: [shoes] Green Shoes to White Shoes : A Modularization/Centralization Project

From:
Cecil Coupe
Date:
2010-10-13 @ 06:36
On Wed, 2010-10-13 at 00:34 -0400, Steve Klabnik wrote:
> > I believe this (ashbb) is the correct approach. Shoes::Button is not a C
> > ++ subclass of QT::PushButton or Java.Swing.Button (sp?).
> 
> Yeah, the classes are a bit crazy. For reference:
> http://shoesrb.com/manual/Classes.html
> 
> I tried to copy all of this down and get it into Blue Shoes directly.

I don't know if that belongs in the "Manual" for 'mere' users but it is
an important bit of developer documentation. Thank you.  

The Ruby include/module/mixin does confuse things for simple html
presentation. On the other hand the list makes a fine To-Do list for
anybody that wants to create the next Shoes.

It's pretty clear why Shoes::Widget was an orphan of incomplete good
intentions. I believe Widget is on the WalkAbout to-do list so I'm not
wildly OT at wondering about what that will be in the Shoes or
multi-colors. 

Re: [shoes] Green Shoes to White Shoes : A Modularization/Centralization Project

From:
Martin DeMello
Date:
2010-10-13 @ 06:58
On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Cecil Coupe <ccoupe@cableone.net> wrote:
> The Ruby include/module/mixin does confuse things for simple html
> presentation. On the other hand the list makes a fine To-Do list for
> anybody that wants to create the next Shoes.
>
> It's pretty clear why Shoes::Widget was an orphan of incomplete good
> intentions. I believe Widget is on the WalkAbout to-do list so I'm not
> wildly OT at wondering about what that will be in the Shoes or
> multi-colors.

Yeah, it might be a better idea to either inherit Shoes::Native from
Shoes::Widget or at the least inherit them both from a common parent,
so that widgets behave as much like first-class citizens as possible.

martin

Re: [shoes] Green Shoes to White Shoes : A Modularization/Centralization Project

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2010-10-11 @ 12:58
> Then I ran blue_shoes/samples/shoes-man-hello.rb. But unfortunately I got
> the following error:

Zack, you have any thoughts on this? Does this need to be included as
a dependency in the gemspec somewhere, or should it be in the Gemfile?

> - In Blue Shoes all classes are inherited from Qt::xxx, but in Green Shoes
> no classes are inherited from GTK::xxx.

Hm, yeah. I _have_ to subclass them with qtruby...

Re: [shoes] Green Shoes to White Shoes : A Modularization/Centralization Project

From:
Zachary Scott
Date:
2010-10-11 @ 13:52
On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 8:58 AM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:

> > Then I ran blue_shoes/samples/shoes-man-hello.rb. But unfortunately I got
> > the following error:
>
> Zack, you have any thoughts on this? Does this need to be included as
> a dependency in the gemspec somewhere, or should it be in the Gemfile?
>
>
We prolly should add it to the gemspec since it's being used all over the
place. It's suggested to only use core dependencies that are used throughout
the entire project in the gemspec, and anything specific like rspec, goes in
the Gemfile.

I just briefly looked over peter's commits and it looks great!!

Definitely, keep up the good work! :)

-- 
Zachary Scott



> > - In Blue Shoes all classes are inherited from Qt::xxx, but in Green
> Shoes
> > no classes are inherited from GTK::xxx.
>
> Hm, yeah. I _have_ to subclass them with qtruby...

Re: [shoes] Green Shoes to White Shoes : A Modularization/Centralization Project

From:
Peter Fitzgibbons
Date:
2010-10-11 @ 14:54
HI Ash (proper name? plz advise)

Well, I included ruby-debug19 in my Gemfile, which Bundler uses to do a
dependency-walk and install the required gems.  It does a better job at this
than 'gem install' in some situations.

I think you're going to run into Bundler (and RVM) in a hard way when you
start on Rails3 development (unless you're a system/cmdline/desktop
developer :).  I don't know offhand what the Win equivalents are for Bundler
and RVM.  Tell us if you have issues with these.


Peter Fitzgibbons
(847) 859-9550
Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com


On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 4:01 AM, ashbb <ashbbb@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
>
> > I have been working with Steve Klabnik on QT Shoes and
> > modularizing the shoes-core and shoes-gui.
> Wow, cool! Let's enjoy colorful Shoes. :)
>
> I downloaded your blue_shoes from
> http://github.com/pjfitzgibbons/blue_shoes/tree/feature/white_shoes_gui
>
> Then I ran blue_shoes/samples/shoes-man-hello.rb. But unfortunately I got
> the following error:
>
> C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/bundler-1.0.2/lib/bundler/spec_set.rb:87:
> in `block in materialize': Could not find diff-lcs-1.1.2 in any of
> the sources (Bundler::GemNotFound)
>
>
> Umm,... sorry there must be something wrong in my Windows 7 environment.
> But I couldn't find a reason. I've never used bundler. :-P
>
> BTW.
> I walked through blue_shoes/lib/blue_shoes/gui/qt/*.rb a little. Then I
> noticed a big difference between Blue Shoes and Green Shoes.
>
> - In Blue Shoes all classes are inherited from Qt::xxx, but in Green Shoes
> no classes are inherited from GTK::xxx.
>
> I don't think it's a problem, but a big difference of approach.
> I'm not sure which is better. Because we are just getting started. ;-)
>
> ashbb
>
>

Re: [shoes] Green Shoes to White Shoes : A Modularization/Centralization Project

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2010-10-11 @ 15:31
> I don't know offhand what the Win equivalents are for Bundler
> and RVM.

Bunlder should still work on windows, right? I see a 'windows' tag on
their Issues tracker...

Re: [shoes] Green Shoes to White Shoes : A Modularization/Centralization Project

From:
Zachary Scott
Date:
2010-10-11 @ 16:09
Yes, and since rubygems.org offers cross-platform gems to decide for you
based on the platform you're using:

So if you're on windows and there's a mswin-32 gem available for the gem
you're trying to get, it will send you that one.

Also, there is pik for managing versions of ruby on windows:
http://github.com/vertiginous/pik

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:

> > I don't know offhand what the Win equivalents are for Bundler
> > and RVM.
>
> Bunlder should still work on windows, right? I see a 'windows' tag on
> their Issues tracker...
>



-- 
Zachary Scott

http://zacharyscott.net/
http://twitter.com/hasmanytweets

Re: [shoes] Green Shoes to White Shoes : A Modularization/Centralization Project

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2010-10-11 @ 12:59
> So, Ash, Zak and Scott, could you look at my fork/commit, tell me your
> thoughts on continuing this project?

It all looks good to me, man. I like the links to the QT documentation...