librelist archives

« back to archive

Ruby gem that uses Rice

Ruby gem that uses Rice

From:
salizzar@gmail.com
Date:
2012-06-27 @ 02:45
Hi all,

Anyone knows a Ruby gem that uses Rice? I found only llvmruby, quoted
here by Jason... but this project have no updates in last three years.

Thank you.

-- 
Marcelo Pinheiro
salizzar at { gmail | hotmail }

Re: [rice] Ruby gem that uses Rice

From:
Jason Roelofs
Date:
2012-06-29 @ 17:27
Unfortunately I know of no released gem that is built with Rice, I've only
heard of people who are using Rice for whatever personal project they've 
got.

Curious, why do you ask?

Jason

On Jun 26, 2012, at 10:45 PM, salizzar@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi all,
> 
> Anyone knows a Ruby gem that uses Rice? I found only llvmruby, quoted
> here by Jason... but this project have no updates in last three years.
> 
> Thank you.
> 
> -- 
> Marcelo Pinheiro
> salizzar at { gmail | hotmail }

Re: [rice] Ruby gem that uses Rice

From:
salizzar@gmail.com
Date:
2012-06-29 @ 18:09
Hi Jason,

I need to create a wrapper for a C++ library distributed by
Registro.br - http://registro.br/epp. My intent is distribute this as
a gem... I asked because after googleing for it I have no responses.

Thanks for response.



On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 2:27 PM, Jason Roelofs <jameskilton@gmail.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately I know of no released gem that is built with Rice, I've 
only heard of people who are using Rice for whatever personal project 
they've got.
>
> Curious, why do you ask?
>
> Jason
>
> On Jun 26, 2012, at 10:45 PM, salizzar@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Anyone knows a Ruby gem that uses Rice? I found only llvmruby, quoted
>> here by Jason... but this project have no updates in last three years.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> --
>> Marcelo Pinheiro
>> salizzar at { gmail | hotmail }
>



-- 
Marcelo Pinheiro
salizzar at { gmail | hotmail }

Re: [rice] Ruby gem that uses Rice

From:
Paul Brannan
Date:
2012-06-29 @ 18:39
I've never tried it (and you'd think I would have, given that I'm one of
the original authors of both Rice and Rubygems), but I would expect that
you should be able to treat a Rice extension the same way as you treat any
extension, that is:

   - Put your extension in the ext directory with an extconf.rb file
   - In your gemspec, set s.extensions = [ 'ext/extconf.rb' ]
   - Make sure all your files are listed in s.files
   - Make sure you have a dependency on the rice gem using s.add_dependency
   'rice'

If that's not enough to get the gem to build and install, reply back to the
list and we'll see if we can figure it out together.

Paul

Re: [rice] Ruby gem that uses Rice

From:
Jason Roelofs
Date:
2012-06-29 @ 18:42
On Jun 29, 2012, at 2:39 PM, Paul Brannan wrote:

> I've never tried it (and you'd think I would have, given that I'm one of
the original authors of both Rice and Rubygems), but I would expect that 
you should be able to treat a Rice extension the same way as you treat any
extension, that is:
> Put your extension in the ext directory with an extconf.rb file
> In your gemspec, set s.extensions = [ 'ext/extconf.rb' ]
> Make sure all your files are listed in s.files
> Make sure you have a dependency on the rice gem using s.add_dependency 'rice'
> If that's not enough to get the gem to build and install, reply back to 
the list and we'll see if we can figure it out together.
> 
> Paul
> 
> 
> 
Given not only installing the rice gem takes such a long time but also 
compiling Rice-built gems can take a while too, I've been recommending 
that people release binary gems of their library. As Paul said here I'm 
sure it wouldn't be difficult to get it to compile from scratch with just 
a `gem install [gemname]` but if you do it that way warn your users that 
it may take > 10 minutes to fully install.

Jason

Re: [rice] Ruby gem that uses Rice

From:
Paul Brannan
Date:
2012-06-29 @ 18:44
Do Rice-built gems take a long time to build with newest versions of gcc4?
If they do then we should probably look into reducing the number of
template instantiations necessary to build a simple extension.

Paul

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 2:42 PM, Jason Roelofs <jameskilton@gmail.com>wrote:

>
> On Jun 29, 2012, at 2:39 PM, Paul Brannan wrote:
>
> I've never tried it (and you'd think I would have, given that I'm one of
> the original authors of both Rice and Rubygems), but I would expect that
> you should be able to treat a Rice extension the same way as you treat any
> extension, that is:
>
>    - Put your extension in the ext directory with an extconf.rb file
>    - In your gemspec, set s.extensions = [ 'ext/extconf.rb' ]
>    - Make sure all your files are listed in s.files
>    - Make sure you have a dependency on the rice gem using
>    s.add_dependency 'rice'
>
> If that's not enough to get the gem to build and install, reply back to
> the list and we'll see if we can figure it out together.
>
> Paul
>
>
> Given not only installing the rice gem takes such a long time but also
> compiling Rice-built gems can take a while too, I've been recommending that
> people release binary gems of their library. As Paul said here I'm sure it
> wouldn't be difficult to get it to compile from scratch with just a `gem
> install [gemname]` but if you do it that way warn your users that it may
> take > 10 minutes to fully install.
>
> Jason
>
>