librelist archives

« back to archive

Chunked encoding with Mongrel2

Chunked encoding with Mongrel2

From:
Loic d'Anterroches
Date:
2011-06-06 @ 07:55
Hello,

for your information, if your client is pushing chunked encoded POST/PUT
whatever against Mongrel2, it will fail. This is normal and known. Zed
knows about it and is ready to solve this issue for the 1.8 release. The
1.7 release will be the SSL release.

What does it mean? Simple, no git over http at the moment as git will
push chunked encoded POST requests.

loïc

--
Indefero - Project management and code hosting - http://www.indefero.net
Photon - High Performance PHP Framework - http://photon-project.com
Céondo Ltd - Web + Science = Fun - http://www.ceondo.com

Re: [photon.users] Chunked encoding with Mongrel2

From:
Nicolas
Date:
2011-06-06 @ 09:25
Hello,

Upcoming support for chunked encoded requests is good news.

About git, have you tried tweaking the configuration ? From what I remember,
git switches to chunked content for big requests/responses. I don't remember
how big but I'm pretty sure this is a configurable treshold.

>man git-config

Here it is :

-----8<-----
http.postBuffer

Maximum size in bytes of the buffer used by smart HTTP transports when
POSTing data to the remote system. For requests larger than this buffer
size, HTTP/1.1 and Transfer-Encoding: chunked is used to avoid creating a
massive pack file locally. Default is 1 MiB, which is sufficient for most
requests.
-----8<-----

Seems to me that you can play with this parameter, at least for debugging
purpose :)

Nicolas




On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 9:55 AM, Loic d'Anterroches <loic@ceondo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> for your information, if your client is pushing chunked encoded POST/PUT
> whatever against Mongrel2, it will fail. This is normal and known. Zed
> knows about it and is ready to solve this issue for the 1.8 release. The
> 1.7 release will be the SSL release.
>
> What does it mean? Simple, no git over http at the moment as git will
> push chunked encoded POST requests.
>
> loïc
>
> --
> Indefero - Project management and code hosting - http://www.indefero.net
> Photon - High Performance PHP Framework - http://photon-project.com
> Céondo Ltd - Web + Science = Fun - http://www.ceondo.com
>

Re: [photon.users] Chunked encoding with Mongrel2

From:
Loic d'Anterroches
Date:
2011-06-06 @ 09:45
Hello,

> Upcoming support for chunked encoded requests is good news.
> 
> About git, have you tried tweaking the configuration ? From what I
> remember, git switches to chunked content for big requests/responses. I
> don't remember how big but I'm pretty sure this is a configurable treshold.
> 
>>man git-config
> 
> Here it is :
> 
> -----8<-----
> 
> http.postBuffer
> 
>     Maximum size in bytes of the buffer used by smart HTTP transports
>     when POSTing data to the remote system. For requests larger than
>     this buffer size, HTTP/1.1 and Transfer-Encoding: chunked is used to
>     avoid creating a massive pack file locally. Default is 1 MiB, which
>     is sufficient for most requests.
> 
> -----8<-----
> 
> Seems to me that you can play with this parameter, at least for
> debugging purpose :)

Thanks, I will try to play with it for my tests.

loïc

> 
> 
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 9:55 AM, Loic d'Anterroches <loic@ceondo.com
> <mailto:loic@ceondo.com>> wrote:
> 
>     Hello,
> 
>     for your information, if your client is pushing chunked encoded POST/PUT
>     whatever against Mongrel2, it will fail. This is normal and known. Zed
>     knows about it and is ready to solve this issue for the 1.8 release. The
>     1.7 release will be the SSL release.
> 
>     What does it mean? Simple, no git over http at the moment as git will
>     push chunked encoded POST requests.
> 
>     loïc
> 
>     --
>     Indefero - Project management and code hosting - http://www.indefero.net
>     Photon - High Performance PHP Framework - http://photon-project.com
>     Céondo Ltd - Web + Science = Fun - http://www.ceondo.com
> 
>