librelist archives

« back to archive

Android screen recording

Android screen recording

From:
John Stewart
Date:
2012-09-06 @ 11:51
Anyone been down this path?

I'd like to video record the output of an Android tablet/phone for 
playback purposes.  I want to capture the screen motion, plus the finger 
touches/movements, as highlighted by Carson a meeting or two ago.

I want "youtube" quality video, not full HDMI.

I do have an HDMI cable that works with my Acer A500 tablet, and Carson 
did mention a USB-to-HDMI adapter. 

Anybody done this with recording on OSX, or Linux?

Thank you;

John Alexander Stewart.

Re: [ottawaandroid] Android screen recording

From:
Michael Richardson
Date:
2012-09-06 @ 13:07
>>>>> "John" == John Stewart <alex.stewart@crc.ca> writes:
    John> I'd like to video record the output of an Android tablet/phone
    John> for playback purposes.  I want to capture the screen motion,
    John> plus the finger touches/movements, as highlighted by Carson a
    John> meeting or two ago.

Some people find it best to have a video camera pointing at the tablet,
mounted well, etc.  that way, they actually capture the actual
fingers...  It depends if you want a demo or a tutorial.

    John> I do have an HDMI cable that works with my Acer A500 tablet,
    John> and Carson did mention a USB-to-HDMI adapter.

Can ddms do enough frames to capture over USB?
Doing it via framegrabber from HDMI would work, it's usually just a 
problem of getting the hardware and software to talk together for
Linux hosts.

-- 
]       He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life!           |  firewalls  [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works, Ottawa, ON    |net architect[
] mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
   Kyoto Plus: watch the video <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzx1ycLXQSE>
	               then sign the petition. 

Re: [ottawaandroid] Android screen recording

From:
Simon MacDonald
Date:
2012-09-06 @ 14:49
You can use a tool like:

Android Screencast - http://code.google.com/p/androidscreencast/
Droid@Screen - http://blog.ribomation.com/droid-at-screen/

and then use Quicktime on OSX to record the screencast.


http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/01/15/how-to-record-quick-easy-screencast-videos-with-mac-osx/

Simon Mac Donald
http://hi.im/simonmacdonald


On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 7:51 AM, John Stewart <alex.stewart@crc.ca> wrote:

> Anyone been down this path?
>
> I'd like to video record the output of an Android tablet/phone for
> playback purposes.  I want to capture the screen motion, plus the finger
> touches/movements, as highlighted by Carson a meeting or two ago.
>
> I want "youtube" quality video, not full HDMI.
>
> I do have an HDMI cable that works with my Acer A500 tablet, and Carson
> did mention a USB-to-HDMI adapter.
>
> Anybody done this with recording on OSX, or Linux?
>
> Thank you;
>
> John Alexander Stewart.
>

Re: [ottawaandroid] Android screen recording

From:
Rob Woods
Date:
2012-09-06 @ 15:06
Do you need to root your device for those methods?  I know there was one a
while ago, but it only worked on a rooted device.  Sadly I don't get the
option on most of my projects to be testing on a rooted device.

Rob W.

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Simon MacDonald
<simon.macdonald@gmail.com>wrote:

> You can use a tool like:
>
> Android Screencast - http://code.google.com/p/androidscreencast/
> Droid@Screen - http://blog.ribomation.com/droid-at-screen/
>
> and then use Quicktime on OSX to record the screencast.
>
>
> 
http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/01/15/how-to-record-quick-easy-screencast-videos-with-mac-osx/
>
> Simon Mac Donald
> http://hi.im/simonmacdonald
>
>
>
> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 7:51 AM, John Stewart <alex.stewart@crc.ca> wrote:
>
>> Anyone been down this path?
>>
>> I'd like to video record the output of an Android tablet/phone for
>> playback purposes.  I want to capture the screen motion, plus the finger
>> touches/movements, as highlighted by Carson a meeting or two ago.
>>
>> I want "youtube" quality video, not full HDMI.
>>
>> I do have an HDMI cable that works with my Acer A500 tablet, and Carson
>> did mention a USB-to-HDMI adapter.
>>
>> Anybody done this with recording on OSX, or Linux?
>>
>> Thank you;
>>
>> John Alexander Stewart.
>>
>
>

Re: [ottawaandroid] Android screen recording

From:
Simon MacDonald
Date:
2012-09-06 @ 15:20
Yeah, you can use Droid@Screen without rooting your phone as long as you
have the development check box checked. There is a video on the
Droid@Screenfront page on how to do it.

Droid@Screen also provides a way to "record' by taking a bunch of screen
shots but it isn't very useful.

Simon Mac Donald
http://hi.im/simonmacdonald


On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Rob Woods <robwoods.edbrock@gmail.com>wrote:

> Do you need to root your device for those methods?  I know there was one a
> while ago, but it only worked on a rooted device.  Sadly I don't get the
> option on most of my projects to be testing on a rooted device.
>
> Rob W.
>
>
> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Simon MacDonald <
> simon.macdonald@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You can use a tool like:
>>
>> Android Screencast - http://code.google.com/p/androidscreencast/
>> Droid@Screen - http://blog.ribomation.com/droid-at-screen/
>>
>> and then use Quicktime on OSX to record the screencast.
>>
>>
>> 
http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/01/15/how-to-record-quick-easy-screencast-videos-with-mac-osx/
>>
>> Simon Mac Donald
>> http://hi.im/simonmacdonald
>>
>>
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 7:51 AM, John Stewart <alex.stewart@crc.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone been down this path?
>>>
>>> I'd like to video record the output of an Android tablet/phone for
>>> playback purposes.  I want to capture the screen motion, plus the finger
>>> touches/movements, as highlighted by Carson a meeting or two ago.
>>>
>>> I want "youtube" quality video, not full HDMI.
>>>
>>> I do have an HDMI cable that works with my Acer A500 tablet, and Carson
>>> did mention a USB-to-HDMI adapter.
>>>
>>> Anybody done this with recording on OSX, or Linux?
>>>
>>> Thank you;
>>>
>>> John Alexander Stewart.
>>>
>>
>>
>