Februrary Presentations

Februrary Presentations

Christopher Saunders
2011-02-03 @ 21:29
Hello Everyone,

In two weeks will be the next OttawaAndroid meetup, and we need
presentations.

Currently we have one scheduled which is going to be about PhoneGap. If you
are interested in learning about multi-platform development, you should
definitely come out!

I also have discovered some new tools which I could do a presentation on.

For this month we could cover one of the following:
 - Interfacing with a RESTful web service on Android using CRest (and
Jackson for JSON responses)
 - Simplifying databases with AndroidActiveRecord

I'd like to know what everyone else is more interested in.  We'll then save
the other technology for March.

Cheers,

Christopher Saunders

Re: [ottawaandroid] Februrary Presentations

Simon MacDonald
2011-02-04 @ 16:01
Yup, I'll be there with my PhoneGap presentation.  I'd love to see
more info on the AndroidActiveRecord.

Simon Mac Donald

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Christopher Saunders
<c.saunders322@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
> In two weeks will be the next OttawaAndroid meetup, and we need
> presentations.
> Currently we have one scheduled which is going to be about PhoneGap. If you
> are interested in learning about multi-platform development, you should
> definitely come out!
> I also have discovered some new tools which I could do a presentation on.
> For this month we could cover one of the following:
>  - Interfacing with a RESTful web service on Android using CRest (and
> Jackson for JSON responses)
>  - Simplifying databases with AndroidActiveRecord
> I'd like to know what everyone else is more interested in.  We'll then save
> the other technology for March.
> Cheers,
> Christopher Saunders
> http://christophersaunders.ca/

Re: [ottawaandroid] Februrary Presentations

Allen Brooke
2011-02-04 @ 01:23
Hi folks,

I enjoyed the meeting last month (my first one), especially all the tech talk
and listening to how others are developing the platform.

My interests lie in data centric applications that typically would be developed
for specific company/corporate needs. Since our last meeting I have been
dabbling with an XmlPullParser feeding an SQLite database. Having a discussion
on XML and databases at our next meeting would be great.

As a bit of an offbeat topic, has anyone ever thought of having an "Android
Apprenticeship" program? The intent would be to team up a seasoned developer
with a couple of apprentices (small teams). Each team would take an Android
topic, say web service for example, develop some working code samples and
present back to the team the following month.

The idea is to create projects for newer developers, while providing a bit of a
support structure, on topics that others are interested in learning about. Maybe
at the next meeting we can throw out a few topics to see if this is something
others would be interested in.

Regardless ... it's all good and I look forward to seeing everyone back at The
Factory in a couple of weeks.

Later,

Allen Brooke

________________________________
From: Christopher Saunders <c.saunders322@gmail.com>
To: ottawaandroid@librelist.com
Sent: Thu, February 3, 2011 4:29:47 PM
Subject: [ottawaandroid] Februrary Presentations

Hello Everyone,

In two weeks will be the next OttawaAndroid meetup, and we need presentations.

Currently we have one scheduled which is going to be about PhoneGap. If you are
interested in learning about multi-platform development, you should definitely
come out!

I also have discovered some new tools which I could do a presentation on.

For this month we could cover one of the following:
 - Interfacing with a RESTful web service on Android using CRest (and Jackson
for JSON responses)
 - Simplifying databases with AndroidActiveRecord

I'd like to know what everyone else is more interested in.  We'll then save the
other technology for March.

Cheers,

Christopher Saunders

Re: [ottawaandroid] Februrary Presentations

Christopher Saunders
2011-02-04 @ 02:28
Hey Allen,

The Android Apprenticeship sounds like a pretty good idea actually!

I'm currently talking with Spencer of possibly having hackathon for the
Mercury mercurial client. Last month we were talking about how the tool
could be much cooler with support for other services like Bitbucket (with
authentication) and Github. The project is free software, so perhaps all of
us collaborating on it over a month would be a good place to start. It's a
project with a goal, all we need are some developers to get together and
tackle various parts of it.

I think it would be fun to have a little bit of a change and make
presentations on the features we added to the client instead of just
presenting another technology.

Cheers,

Chris

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 8:23 PM, Allen Brooke <awbrooke824@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Hi folks,
> I enjoyed the meeting last month (my first one), especially all the tech
> talk and listening to how others are developing the platform.
> My interests lie in data centric applications that typically would be
> developed for specific company/corporate needs. Since our last meeting I
> have been dabbling with an XmlPullParser feeding an SQLite database. Having
> a discussion on XML and databases at our next meeting would be great.
> As a bit of an offbeat topic, has anyone ever thought of having an "Android
> Apprenticeship" program? The intent would be to team up a seasoned developer
> with a couple of apprentices (small teams). Each team would take an Android
> topic, say web service for example, develop some working code samples and
> present back to the team the following month.
> The idea is to create projects for newer developers, while providing a bit
> of a support structure, on topics that others are interested in learning
> about. Maybe at the next meeting we can throw out a few topics to see if
> this is something others would be interested in.
> Regardless ... it's all good and I look forward to seeing everyone back at
> The Factory in a couple of weeks.
> Later,
> Allen Brooke
> ------------------------------
> *From:* Christopher Saunders <c.saunders322@gmail.com>
> *To:* ottawaandroid@librelist.com
> *Sent:* Thu, February 3, 2011 4:29:47 PM
> *Subject:* [ottawaandroid] Februrary Presentations
> Hello Everyone,
> In two weeks will be the next OttawaAndroid meetup, and we need
> presentations.
> Currently we have one scheduled which is going to be about PhoneGap. If you
> are interested in learning about multi-platform development, you should
> definitely come out!
> I also have discovered some new tools which I could do a presentation on.
> For this month we could cover one of the following:
>  - Interfacing with a RESTful web service on Android using CRest (and
> Jackson for JSON responses)
>  - Simplifying databases with AndroidActiveRecord
> I'd like to know what everyone else is more interested in.  We'll then save
> the other technology for March.
> Cheers,
> Christopher Saunders
> http://christophersaunders.ca/

Christopher Saunders

Re: [ottawaandroid] Februrary Presentations

Spencer Elliott
2011-02-04 @ 02:39
I like the thought of a hackathon. I haven't been able to contribute as much
as I would have liked to over the last while because of school but I've had
a couple ideas of how to improve the interface such as new design patterns
for the interface. I also want to move away from "bean" data types in the
backend (you're welcome Chris :P) and moving the data parsing from parsing
the Atom feed to going directly through the changeset data.

If anyone is interested, I'm definitely willing to participate in a
hackathon!

Spencer

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 9:28 PM, Christopher Saunders <
c.saunders322@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Allen,
> The Android Apprenticeship sounds like a pretty good idea actually!
> I'm currently talking with Spencer of possibly having hackathon for the
> Mercury mercurial client. Last month we were talking about how the tool
> could be much cooler with support for other services like Bitbucket (with
> authentication) and Github. The project is free software, so perhaps all of
> us collaborating on it over a month would be a good place to start. It's a
> project with a goal, all we need are some developers to get together and
> tackle various parts of it.
> I think it would be fun to have a little bit of a change and make
> presentations on the features we added to the client instead of just
> presenting another technology.
> Cheers,
> Chris
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 8:23 PM, Allen Brooke <awbrooke824@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>> I enjoyed the meeting last month (my first one), especially all the tech
>> talk and listening to how others are developing the platform.
>> My interests lie in data centric applications that typically would be
>> developed for specific company/corporate needs. Since our last meeting I
>> have been dabbling with an XmlPullParser feeding an SQLite database. Having
>> a discussion on XML and databases at our next meeting would be great.
>> As a bit of an offbeat topic, has anyone ever thought of having an
>> "Android Apprenticeship" program? The intent would be to team up a seasoned
>> developer with a couple of apprentices (small teams). Each team would take
>> an Android topic, say web service for example, develop some working code
>> samples and present back to the team the following month.
>> The idea is to create projects for newer developers, while providing a bit
>> of a support structure, on topics that others are interested in learning
>> about. Maybe at the next meeting we can throw out a few topics to see if
>> this is something others would be interested in.
>> Regardless ... it's all good and I look forward to seeing everyone back at
>> The Factory in a couple of weeks.
>> Later,
>> Allen Brooke
>> ------------------------------
>> *From:* Christopher Saunders <c.saunders322@gmail.com>
>> *To:* ottawaandroid@librelist.com
>> *Sent:* Thu, February 3, 2011 4:29:47 PM
>> *Subject:* [ottawaandroid] Februrary Presentations
>> Hello Everyone,
>> In two weeks will be the next OttawaAndroid meetup, and we need
>> presentations.
>> Currently we have one scheduled which is going to be about PhoneGap. If
>> you are interested in learning about multi-platform development, you should
>> definitely come out!
>> I also have discovered some new tools which I could do a presentation on.
>> For this month we could cover one of the following:
>>  - Interfacing with a RESTful web service on Android using CRest (and
>> Jackson for JSON responses)
>>  - Simplifying databases with AndroidActiveRecord
>> I'd like to know what everyone else is more interested in.  We'll then
>> save the other technology for March.
>> Cheers,