librelist archives

« back to archive

gathering/discussion @transmediale

gathering/discussion @transmediale

From:
panayotis antoniadis
Date:
2014-12-22 @ 09:49
Dear all,

I am very happy to announce that there is a second
off.networks gathering being organized at transmediale!

Daphne 

(http://librelist.com/browser//off.networks/2014/12/1/list-members/#a56e97628601f2deea1ba41d2c2de634)
managed to reserve a slot for us at the foyer program
and asked me to prepare a short description.

So, find below a first draft, which is also available at the manifesto
etherpad for you to edit: 
https://lite2.framapad.org/p/Offline_Networks_Manifesto

Looking forward to meeting those that will be in Hamburg!

(I will arrive by train around 18h00 and I would be available after
19h00 for dinner/beer. My mobile is +41 766195802 and by the way I don't
have 3G connection nor Internet at home: trying to be as
offline as possible :-)

Panayotis.




Title: offline networks unite! (or?)

Offline networks or off.networks started as an attempt
to bring together researchers, activists and artists
that work on the idea of an offline network, operating
outside the Internet. Such networks could range from
art projects such as deadrops, wifitagger, and invisibleislands.org
and "personal networks" such as the  PirateBox.cc, occupyhere.org,
superglue.it, and subnod.es, to neighbourhood/district networks like the
commotionwireless.net projects and large city-scale networks like
guifi.net, freifunk.net, and awmn.net.
During transmediale you will have the chance to experience
some of the small-scale networks at first hand.
In this gathering at the foyer we would like to take a break
to reflect critically on their possible role
in shaping the evolving hybrid space in cities and in
addressing the threats on our privacy, freedom
of speech, and self-determination posed by the big
Internet corporations and surveillance states.

We will discuss how our under construction off.networks
community will allow us to join forces in reaching our
common visions without sacrificing pluralism and independence.
We think that joining forces is important because 1) offline
networks are subject to hybrid design, both software and urban
interventions, and various ambiguities and contradiction (and
thus require the collaboration between people with different
expertise and background), 2) they are context-specific (and
thus need to be easily installed and customized by non-savvy
users), and 3) they have to compete with big corporations that
attract most of people's online attention (and thus need to offer
very high standards of usability and performance).

The discussion at Transmediale will be a continuity of the first
meeting/assembly of off.networks  at the at the Chaos Computer
Club conference in Hamburg: 
https://events.ccc.de/congress/2014/wiki/Assembly:Offline_Networks
and our on-going online discussions at off.networks@librelist.com.
The discussion will open by existing members of the off.networks
community: Aram Barholl (deaddrops), Jeff Andreoni (unmonastery),
David Darts and Matthias Strubel (piratebox), Andreas Unteidig (hybrid 
letterbox),
Sarah Grant (subnod.es), Panayotis Antoniadis and Ileana Apostol 
(nethood.org).
People who will be joining the program of Transmediale such as Adnan Hadzi,
James, Stevens, Telekommunisten, Henry Warwick, Superglue, will be invited
to join also. We will follow an inclusive and open-ended mode of discussion
where after the initial statements the stage will be given to 
participants from
the audience who will have 2-3 minutes each to present their thoughts and
ideas forming a big round table.



Re: [off.networks] gathering/discussion @transmediale

From:
Bezdomny
Date:
2014-12-22 @ 14:01
I'll be following closely the developments at CCC from Athens because
although I will be at transmediale I will not be able to attend  31c3.
On Dec 22, 2014 11:49 AM, "panayotis antoniadis" <panayotis@nethood.org>
wrote:

>
> Dear all,
>
> I am very happy to announce that there is a second
> off.networks gathering being organized at transmediale!
>
> Daphne
> (
> 
http://librelist.com/browser//off.networks/2014/12/1/list-members/#a56e97628601f2deea1ba41d2c2de634
> )
> managed to reserve a slot for us at the foyer program
> and asked me to prepare a short description.
>
> So, find below a first draft, which is also available at the manifesto
> etherpad for you to edit:
> https://lite2.framapad.org/p/Offline_Networks_Manifesto
>
> Looking forward to meeting those that will be in Hamburg!
>
> (I will arrive by train around 18h00 and I would be available after
> 19h00 for dinner/beer. My mobile is +41 766195802 and by the way I don't
> have 3G connection nor Internet at home: trying to be as
> offline as possible :-)
>
> Panayotis.
>
>
>
>
> Title: offline networks unite! (or?)
>
> Offline networks or off.networks started as an attempt
> to bring together researchers, activists and artists
> that work on the idea of an offline network, operating
> outside the Internet. Such networks could range from
> art projects such as deadrops, wifitagger, and invisibleislands.org
> and "personal networks" such as the  PirateBox.cc, occupyhere.org,
> superglue.it, and subnod.es, to neighbourhood/district networks like the
> commotionwireless.net projects and large city-scale networks like
> guifi.net, freifunk.net, and awmn.net.
> During transmediale you will have the chance to experience
> some of the small-scale networks at first hand.
> In this gathering at the foyer we would like to take a break
> to reflect critically on their possible role
> in shaping the evolving hybrid space in cities and in
> addressing the threats on our privacy, freedom
> of speech, and self-determination posed by the big
> Internet corporations and surveillance states.
>
> We will discuss how our under construction off.networks
> community will allow us to join forces in reaching our
> common visions without sacrificing pluralism and independence.
> We think that joining forces is important because 1) offline
> networks are subject to hybrid design, both software and urban
> interventions, and various ambiguities and contradiction (and
> thus require the collaboration between people with different
> expertise and background), 2) they are context-specific (and
> thus need to be easily installed and customized by non-savvy
> users), and 3) they have to compete with big corporations that
> attract most of people's online attention (and thus need to offer
> very high standards of usability and performance).
>
> The discussion at Transmediale will be a continuity of the first
> meeting/assembly of off.networks  at the at the Chaos Computer
> Club conference in Hamburg:
> https://events.ccc.de/congress/2014/wiki/Assembly:Offline_Networks
> and our on-going online discussions at off.networks@librelist.com.
> The discussion will open by existing members of the off.networks
> community: Aram Barholl (deaddrops), Jeff Andreoni (unmonastery),
> David Darts and Matthias Strubel (piratebox), Andreas Unteidig (hybrid
> letterbox),
> Sarah Grant (subnod.es), Panayotis Antoniadis and Ileana Apostol
> (nethood.org).
> People who will be joining the program of Transmediale such as Adnan Hadzi,
> James, Stevens, Telekommunisten, Henry Warwick, Superglue, will be invited
> to join also. We will follow an inclusive and open-ended mode of discussion
> where after the initial statements the stage will be given to
> participants from
> the audience who will have 2-3 minutes each to present their thoughts and
> ideas forming a big round table.
>
>
>
>
>

Re: [off.networks] gathering/discussion @transmediale

From:
panayotis antoniadis
Date:
2015-01-03 @ 14:15
Hey! Happy new year! (with a lot of time spent offline :-)

I have many things to report but for now I only wish to inform
you that our common activity at the CCC was mostly about
discussing the organization of the off.networks event that will
take place at the stage of the Transmediale foyer :-)

It seems that we all agreed that a "community building" event,
where each of us will present his/her own experiences and perspective,
followed by an open discussion on some important challenges/questions,
including exactly how an offline networks community should look like.

Please feel free to provide feedback (soon) on the almost final description
of the event: https://lite2.framapad.org/p/Offline_Networks_Manifesto 
(Section 2)

Also, it would be great if you had a nice idea about a photo needed for
the transmediale web site. Perhaps a nice placement of our logos 
(piratebox,
occupyhere, superglue, etc) around a first draft of the offline networks 
logo
or the universal local WiFi sign? We have many designers and artists in 
the list
and I hope someone will come up with something nice. Otherwise I will put
my engineering hat and just put all the logos in a simple grid :-)

That's all for now! More coming soon ....



On 22.12.2014 11:49, panayotis antoniadis wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am very happy to announce that there is a second
> off.networks gathering being organized at transmediale!
>
> Daphne
> 
(http://librelist.com/browser//off.networks/2014/12/1/list-members/#a56e97628601f2deea1ba41d2c2de634)
> managed to reserve a slot for us at the foyer program
> and asked me to prepare a short description.
>
> So, find below a first draft, which is also available at the manifesto
> etherpad for you to edit:
> https://lite2.framapad.org/p/Offline_Networks_Manifesto
>
> Looking forward to meeting those that will be in Hamburg!
>
> (I will arrive by train around 18h00 and I would be available after
> 19h00 for dinner/beer. My mobile is +41 766195802 and by the way I don't
> have 3G connection nor Internet at home: trying to be as
> offline as possible :-)
>
> Panayotis.
>
>
>
>
> Title: offline networks unite! (or?)
>
> Offline networks or off.networks started as an attempt
> to bring together researchers, activists and artists
> that work on the idea of an offline network, operating
> outside the Internet. Such networks could range from
> art projects such as deadrops, wifitagger, and invisibleislands.org
> and "personal networks" such as the  PirateBox.cc, occupyhere.org,
> superglue.it, and subnod.es, to neighbourhood/district networks like the
> commotionwireless.net projects and large city-scale networks like
> guifi.net, freifunk.net, and awmn.net.
> During transmediale you will have the chance to experience
> some of the small-scale networks at first hand.
> In this gathering at the foyer we would like to take a break
> to reflect critically on their possible role
> in shaping the evolving hybrid space in cities and in
> addressing the threats on our privacy, freedom
> of speech, and self-determination posed by the big
> Internet corporations and surveillance states.
>
> We will discuss how our under construction off.networks
> community will allow us to join forces in reaching our
> common visions without sacrificing pluralism and independence.
> We think that joining forces is important because 1) offline
> networks are subject to hybrid design, both software and urban
> interventions, and various ambiguities and contradiction (and
> thus require the collaboration between people with different
> expertise and background), 2) they are context-specific (and
> thus need to be easily installed and customized by non-savvy
> users), and 3) they have to compete with big corporations that
> attract most of people's online attention (and thus need to offer
> very high standards of usability and performance).
>
> The discussion at Transmediale will be a continuity of the first
> meeting/assembly of off.networks  at the at the Chaos Computer
> Club conference in Hamburg:
> https://events.ccc.de/congress/2014/wiki/Assembly:Offline_Networks
> and our on-going online discussions atoff.networks@librelist.com.
> The discussion will open by existing members of the off.networks
> community: Aram Barholl (deaddrops), Jeff Andreoni (unmonastery),
> David Darts and Matthias Strubel (piratebox), Andreas Unteidig (hybrid
> letterbox),
> Sarah Grant (subnod.es), Panayotis Antoniadis and Ileana Apostol
> (nethood.org).
> People who will be joining the program of Transmediale such as Adnan Hadzi,
> James, Stevens, Telekommunisten, Henry Warwick, Superglue, will be invited
> to join also. We will follow an inclusive and open-ended mode of discussion
> where after the initial statements the stage will be given to
> participants from
> the audience who will have 2-3 minutes each to present their thoughts and
> ideas forming a big round table.
>
>
>
>

Re: [off.networks] gathering/discussion @transmediale

From:
panayotis antoniadis
Date:
2015-01-06 @ 08:10
This is my first effort to provide a photo for our offline
networks event at transmediale:
http://nethood.org/photos/logos/all_offnet_logos.png

There are some logos missing but this is only a draft
and I hope that someone more skilled will give it a try :-)

All individual logos that I collected until now and the source
file (offline_networks_logos.odp) are available here:
http://nethood.org/photos/logos/




On 03.01.2015 16:15, panayotis antoniadis wrote:
> Hey! Happy new year! (with a lot of time spent offline :-)
>
> I have many things to report but for now I only wish to inform
> you that our common activity at the CCC was mostly about
> discussing the organization of the off.networks event that will
> take place at the stage of the Transmediale foyer :-)
>
> It seems that we all agreed that a "community building" event,
> where each of us will present his/her own experiences and perspective,
> followed by an open discussion on some important challenges/questions,
> including exactly how an offline networks community should look like.
>
> Please feel free to provide feedback (soon) on the almost final description
> of the event: https://lite2.framapad.org/p/Offline_Networks_Manifesto
> (Section 2)
>
> Also, it would be great if you had a nice idea about a photo needed for
> the transmediale web site. Perhaps a nice placement of our logos
> (piratebox,
> occupyhere, superglue, etc) around a first draft of the offline networks
> logo
> or the universal local WiFi sign? We have many designers and artists in
> the list
> and I hope someone will come up with something nice. Otherwise I will put
> my engineering hat and just put all the logos in a simple grid :-)
>
> That's all for now! More coming soon ....
>
>
>
> On 22.12.2014 11:49, panayotis antoniadis wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I am very happy to announce that there is a second
>> off.networks gathering being organized at transmediale!
>>
>> Daphne
>> 
(http://librelist.com/browser//off.networks/2014/12/1/list-members/#a56e97628601f2deea1ba41d2c2de634)
>> managed to reserve a slot for us at the foyer program
>> and asked me to prepare a short description.
>>
>> So, find below a first draft, which is also available at the manifesto
>> etherpad for you to edit:
>> https://lite2.framapad.org/p/Offline_Networks_Manifesto
>>
>> Looking forward to meeting those that will be in Hamburg!
>>
>> (I will arrive by train around 18h00 and I would be available after
>> 19h00 for dinner/beer. My mobile is +41 766195802 and by the way I don't
>> have 3G connection nor Internet at home: trying to be as
>> offline as possible :-)
>>
>> Panayotis.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Title: offline networks unite! (or?)
>>
>> Offline networks or off.networks started as an attempt
>> to bring together researchers, activists and artists
>> that work on the idea of an offline network, operating
>> outside the Internet. Such networks could range from
>> art projects such as deadrops, wifitagger, and invisibleislands.org
>> and "personal networks" such as the  PirateBox.cc, occupyhere.org,
>> superglue.it, and subnod.es, to neighbourhood/district networks like the
>> commotionwireless.net projects and large city-scale networks like
>> guifi.net, freifunk.net, and awmn.net.
>> During transmediale you will have the chance to experience
>> some of the small-scale networks at first hand.
>> In this gathering at the foyer we would like to take a break
>> to reflect critically on their possible role
>> in shaping the evolving hybrid space in cities and in
>> addressing the threats on our privacy, freedom
>> of speech, and self-determination posed by the big
>> Internet corporations and surveillance states.
>>
>> We will discuss how our under construction off.networks
>> community will allow us to join forces in reaching our
>> common visions without sacrificing pluralism and independence.
>> We think that joining forces is important because 1) offline
>> networks are subject to hybrid design, both software and urban
>> interventions, and various ambiguities and contradiction (and
>> thus require the collaboration between people with different
>> expertise and background), 2) they are context-specific (and
>> thus need to be easily installed and customized by non-savvy
>> users), and 3) they have to compete with big corporations that
>> attract most of people's online attention (and thus need to offer
>> very high standards of usability and performance).
>>
>> The discussion at Transmediale will be a continuity of the first
>> meeting/assembly of off.networks  at the at the Chaos Computer
>> Club conference in Hamburg:
>> https://events.ccc.de/congress/2014/wiki/Assembly:Offline_Networks
>> and our on-going online discussions atoff.networks@librelist.com.
>> The discussion will open by existing members of the off.networks
>> community: Aram Barholl (deaddrops), Jeff Andreoni (unmonastery),
>> David Darts and Matthias Strubel (piratebox), Andreas Unteidig (hybrid
>> letterbox),
>> Sarah Grant (subnod.es), Panayotis Antoniadis and Ileana Apostol
>> (nethood.org).
>> People who will be joining the program of Transmediale such as Adnan Hadzi,
>> James, Stevens, Telekommunisten, Henry Warwick, Superglue, will be invited
>> to join also. We will follow an inclusive and open-ended mode of discussion
>> where after the initial statements the stage will be given to
>> participants from
>> the audience who will have 2-3 minutes each to present their thoughts and
>> ideas forming a big round table.
>>
>>
>>
>>

Re: [off.networks] gathering/discussion @transmediale

From:
Bezdomny
Date:
2015-01-09 @ 11:10
Just to follow up on TM: 
Wednesday we met in Athens with four groups wishing to utilise the 
proposed offline network.
Now it appears there are two:
unMonastery and the Subsumption group

Practical applications:
James (unMon) discussed getting an inexpensive PC to serve as a server and
making some access points around the foyer
Oliver (SubSum) wishes to distribute the “glossary of subsumption” via the network
Ben (unMon) has proposed publishing the unmonastery “BIOS” via the network
as well.

Proposed installations:
it was discussed that upon arrival in Berlin, interested parties can begin
working on an application like the “stupid forum” to be used with the 
network. 

Here is a link to the notes on the session.

Oliver and James are CCed to discuss these ideas further. 

Myself and James (most likely) will be in Berlin from Jan. 19th





On Jan 6, 2015, at 10:10, panayotis antoniadis <panayotis@nethood.org> wrote:

> 
> This is my first effort to provide a photo for our offline
> networks event at transmediale:
> http://nethood.org/photos/logos/all_offnet_logos.png
> 
> There are some logos missing but this is only a draft
> and I hope that someone more skilled will give it a try :-)
> 
> All individual logos that I collected until now and the source
> file (offline_networks_logos.odp) are available here:
> http://nethood.org/photos/logos/
> 
> 
> 
> 
> On 03.01.2015 16:15, panayotis antoniadis wrote:
>> Hey! Happy new year! (with a lot of time spent offline :-)
>> 
>> I have many things to report but for now I only wish to inform
>> you that our common activity at the CCC was mostly about
>> discussing the organization of the off.networks event that will
>> take place at the stage of the Transmediale foyer :-)
>> 
>> It seems that we all agreed that a "community building" event,
>> where each of us will present his/her own experiences and perspective,
>> followed by an open discussion on some important challenges/questions,
>> including exactly how an offline networks community should look like.
>> 
>> Please feel free to provide feedback (soon) on the almost final description
>> of the event: https://lite2.framapad.org/p/Offline_Networks_Manifesto
>> (Section 2)
>> 
>> Also, it would be great if you had a nice idea about a photo needed for
>> the transmediale web site. Perhaps a nice placement of our logos
>> (piratebox,
>> occupyhere, superglue, etc) around a first draft of the offline networks
>> logo
>> or the universal local WiFi sign? We have many designers and artists in
>> the list
>> and I hope someone will come up with something nice. Otherwise I will put
>> my engineering hat and just put all the logos in a simple grid :-)
>> 
>> That's all for now! More coming soon ....
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> On 22.12.2014 11:49, panayotis antoniadis wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>> 
>>> I am very happy to announce that there is a second
>>> off.networks gathering being organized at transmediale!
>>> 
>>> Daphne
>>> 
(http://librelist.com/browser//off.networks/2014/12/1/list-members/#a56e97628601f2deea1ba41d2c2de634)
>>> managed to reserve a slot for us at the foyer program
>>> and asked me to prepare a short description.
>>> 
>>> So, find below a first draft, which is also available at the manifesto
>>> etherpad for you to edit:
>>> https://lite2.framapad.org/p/Offline_Networks_Manifesto
>>> 
>>> Looking forward to meeting those that will be in Hamburg!
>>> 
>>> (I will arrive by train around 18h00 and I would be available after
>>> 19h00 for dinner/beer. My mobile is +41 766195802 and by the way I don't
>>> have 3G connection nor Internet at home: trying to be as
>>> offline as possible :-)
>>> 
>>> Panayotis.
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> Title: offline networks unite! (or?)
>>> 
>>> Offline networks or off.networks started as an attempt
>>> to bring together researchers, activists and artists
>>> that work on the idea of an offline network, operating
>>> outside the Internet. Such networks could range from
>>> art projects such as deadrops, wifitagger, and invisibleislands.org
>>> and "personal networks" such as the  PirateBox.cc, occupyhere.org,
>>> superglue.it, and subnod.es, to neighbourhood/district networks like the
>>> commotionwireless.net projects and large city-scale networks like
>>> guifi.net, freifunk.net, and awmn.net.
>>> During transmediale you will have the chance to experience
>>> some of the small-scale networks at first hand.
>>> In this gathering at the foyer we would like to take a break
>>> to reflect critically on their possible role
>>> in shaping the evolving hybrid space in cities and in
>>> addressing the threats on our privacy, freedom
>>> of speech, and self-determination posed by the big
>>> Internet corporations and surveillance states.
>>> 
>>> We will discuss how our under construction off.networks
>>> community will allow us to join forces in reaching our
>>> common visions without sacrificing pluralism and independence.
>>> We think that joining forces is important because 1) offline
>>> networks are subject to hybrid design, both software and urban
>>> interventions, and various ambiguities and contradiction (and
>>> thus require the collaboration between people with different
>>> expertise and background), 2) they are context-specific (and
>>> thus need to be easily installed and customized by non-savvy
>>> users), and 3) they have to compete with big corporations that
>>> attract most of people's online attention (and thus need to offer
>>> very high standards of usability and performance).
>>> 
>>> The discussion at Transmediale will be a continuity of the first
>>> meeting/assembly of off.networks  at the at the Chaos Computer
>>> Club conference in Hamburg:
>>> https://events.ccc.de/congress/2014/wiki/Assembly:Offline_Networks
>>> and our on-going online discussions atoff.networks@librelist.com.
>>> The discussion will open by existing members of the off.networks
>>> community: Aram Barholl (deaddrops), Jeff Andreoni (unmonastery),
>>> David Darts and Matthias Strubel (piratebox), Andreas Unteidig (hybrid
>>> letterbox),
>>> Sarah Grant (subnod.es), Panayotis Antoniadis and Ileana Apostol
>>> (nethood.org).
>>> People who will be joining the program of Transmediale such as Adnan Hadzi,
>>> James, Stevens, Telekommunisten, Henry Warwick, Superglue, will be invited
>>> to join also. We will follow an inclusive and open-ended mode of discussion
>>> where after the initial statements the stage will be given to
>>> participants from
>>> the audience who will have 2-3 minutes each to present their thoughts and
>>> ideas forming a big round table.
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
> 

Re: [off.networks] gathering/discussion @transmediale

From:
oliver lerone schultz
Date:
2015-01-12 @ 11:28
hey James, Jeff + all of off.networks!

I have been silently following, and first I thought I could make it to
31C3, which unfortunately didn´t work out for me.
that, plus the fact that Jeff is in anyway associated in parts with the
'Glossary of Subsumption'-track on transmediale made me first talked to him.
so thanks again to him for relaying this; and thanks to everybody for
considering this.

just to give you an idea of what the interest was:

I had already collborated with Adnan Hadzi + reSync around PirateBox as
a method to collect (should I say 'capture'?) research-material around
specific topics in the context of and as additional layer to collective
events. so we did this in Athens around 'Urban Enclosures' (see
001-newathens-event.subsumption.xyz) but also on two occassions around
attempts to adress/digest media spectacles
(001-bts-brazil-event.spectral.cc + 002-vv10-istanbul-event.spectral.cc)
-- the idea was to let these 'pirate boxes' travel as vessels for
off-line research, sharing/distribution and commenting. so the idea was
to create links/continuity between different/discontinuous events,
provide a collective reflection around a topic of interest and to also
challenge academic issues around copyright/legitimacy/formats of
research using this 'offline'-digitality. -- this is an ongoing
interest, and along with Adnan Hadzi I will follow this in any way.

what I was looking for was a way to set up such a off-channel, mainly
for collection + distribution on the spot, during tm15 for the "Glossary
of Subsumption" track.
this is in particular to help the second workshop building a Glossary of
Subsumption" in the coming time. for this what would be needed is
something like the PirateBox (the one device I know a little), but with
2 modifications:
1) being able to give people who log on a better prompt of what they are
dealing with, what the can do, etc.
2) giving people a way to interact with the very folder-structure, i.e.
insert folders/collections/terms at a specific place

my request to Jeff was whether there is a chance this 2 aims can be
solved in the context of and incollaboration with the off.networks
group?! so as you see, it´s only partly about distributing something
already existing - but rather making some particular interactions possible.
-- I would be happy if there is a chance and some interest. also I would
be available to meet-up for things (planning, configuring etc), also if
that helps on the 19th.

looking forward to any thoughts, feedbacks, and eventual meeting up!
oliver

James Lewis schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> Following on from below discussion, I just wrote some guidelines for
> anyone who'd like to write an 'offline app' for the Transmediale
> offline network, here:
>
> https://github.com/mozboz/transmediale-apps/edit/master/README.md
>
> As part of the Unmonastery project, we'll have an 'offline network'
> that will at the least have a machine with a captive portal [1] and an
> easy to use 'file server' to provide static content from which will be
> able to distribute e.g. the glossary of subsumption, unmon BIOS, and
> anything else we want to put on it (or anything else people upload to
> share...?)
>
> On that network, we'll be able to provide servers to run an 'offline
> app' on, or bring your own machine (anything, Raspberry PI, cheap PC),
> and connect it to the network.
>
> James
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_portal
>
> On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 1:10 PM, Bezdomny <home@bezdomny.org
> <mailto:home@bezdomny.org>> wrote:
>
>     Just to follow up on TM: 
>     Wednesday we met in Athens with four groups wishing to utilise the
>     proposed offline network.
>     Now it appears there are two:
>     *unMonastery* and the *Subsumption* group
>
>     Practical applications:
>     James (unMon) discussed getting an inexpensive PC to serve as a
>     server and making some access points around the foyer
>     Oliver (SubSum) wishes to distribute the "glossary of subsumption"
>     via the network
>     Ben (unMon) has proposed publishing the unmonastery "BIOS" via the
>     network as well.
>
>     Proposed installations:
>     it was discussed that upon arrival in Berlin, interested parties
>     can begin working on an application like the "stupid forum
>     <http://stupidforum.com/>" to be used with the network. 
>
>     Here is a link
>     
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GwNpHYMvw1OS5V_uXtK2BvzniS3kRzHTT4j1OCBETco/edit?usp=sharing>
to
>     the notes on the session.
>
>     Oliver and James are CCed to discuss these ideas further. 
>
>     Myself and James (most likely) will be in Berlin from Jan. 19th
>
>
>
>
>
>     On Jan 6, 2015, at 10:10, panayotis antoniadis
>     <panayotis@nethood.org <mailto:panayotis@nethood.org>> wrote:
>
>>
>>     This is my first effort to provide a photo for our offline
>>     networks event at transmediale:
>>     http://nethood.org/photos/logos/all_offnet_logos.png
>>
>>     There are some logos missing but this is only a draft
>>     and I hope that someone more skilled will give it a try :-)
>>
>>     All individual logos that I collected until now and the source
>>     file (offline_networks_logos.odp) are available here:
>>     http://nethood.org/photos/logos/
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>     On 03.01.2015 16:15, panayotis antoniadis wrote:
>>>     Hey! Happy new year! (with a lot of time spent offline :-)
>>>
>>>     I have many things to report but for now I only wish to inform
>>>     you that our common activity at the CCC was mostly about
>>>     discussing the organization of the off.networks event that will
>>>     take place at the stage of the Transmediale foyer :-)
>>>
>>>     It seems that we all agreed that a "community building" event,
>>>     where each of us will present his/her own experiences and
>>>     perspective,
>>>     followed by an open discussion on some important
>>>     challenges/questions,
>>>     including exactly how an offline networks community should look
>>>     like.
>>>
>>>     Please feel free to provide feedback (soon) on the almost final
>>>     description
>>>     of the event:
>>>     https://lite2.framapad.org/p/Offline_Networks_Manifesto
>>>     (Section 2)
>>>
>>>     Also, it would be great if you had a nice idea about a photo
>>>     needed for
>>>     the transmediale web site. Perhaps a nice placement of our logos
>>>     (piratebox,
>>>     occupyhere, superglue, etc) around a first draft of the offline
>>>     networks
>>>     logo
>>>     or the universal local WiFi sign? We have many designers and
>>>     artists in
>>>     the list
>>>     and I hope someone will come up with something nice. Otherwise I
>>>     will put
>>>     my engineering hat and just put all the logos in a simple grid :-)
>>>
>>>     That's all for now! More coming soon ....
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>     On 22.12.2014 11:49, panayotis antoniadis wrote:
>>>>     Dear all,
>>>>
>>>>     I am very happy to announce that there is a second
>>>>     off.networks gathering being organized at transmediale!
>>>>
>>>>     Daphne
>>>>     
(http://librelist.com/browser//off.networks/2014/12/1/list-members/#a56e97628601f2deea1ba41d2c2de634)
>>>>     managed to reserve a slot for us at the foyer program
>>>>     and asked me to prepare a short description.
>>>>
>>>>     So, find below a first draft, which is also available at the
>>>>     manifesto
>>>>     etherpad for you to edit:
>>>>     https://lite2.framapad.org/p/Offline_Networks_Manifesto
>>>>
>>>>     Looking forward to meeting those that will be in Hamburg!
>>>>
>>>>     (I will arrive by train around 18h00 and I would be available after
>>>>     19h00 for dinner/beer. My mobile is +41 766195802
>>>>     <tel:%2B41%20766195802> and by the way I don't
>>>>     have 3G connection nor Internet at home: trying to be as
>>>>     offline as possible :-)
>>>>
>>>>     Panayotis.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>     Title: offline networks unite! (or?)
>>>>
>>>>     Offline networks or off.networks started as an attempt
>>>>     to bring together researchers, activists and artists
>>>>     that work on the idea of an offline network, operating
>>>>     outside the Internet. Such networks could range from
>>>>     art projects such as deadrops, wifitagger, and
>>>>     invisibleislands.org <http://invisibleislands.org>
>>>>     and "personal networks" such as the  PirateBox.cc,
>>>>     occupyhere.org <http://occupyhere.org>,
>>>>     superglue.it <http://superglue.it>, and subnod.es
>>>>     <http://subnod.es>, to neighbourhood/district networks like the
>>>>     commotionwireless.net <http://commotionwireless.net> projects
>>>>     and large city-scale networks like
>>>>     guifi.net <http://guifi.net>, freifunk.net
>>>>     <http://freifunk.net>, and awmn.net <http://awmn.net>.
>>>>     During transmediale you will have the chance to experience
>>>>     some of the small-scale networks at first hand.
>>>>     In this gathering at the foyer we would like to take a break
>>>>     to reflect critically on their possible role
>>>>     in shaping the evolving hybrid space in cities and in
>>>>     addressing the threats on our privacy, freedom
>>>>     of speech, and self-determination posed by the big
>>>>     Internet corporations and surveillance states.
>>>>
>>>>     We will discuss how our under construction off.networks
>>>>     community will allow us to join forces in reaching our
>>>>     common visions without sacrificing pluralism and independence.
>>>>     We think that joining forces is important because 1) offline
>>>>     networks are subject to hybrid design, both software and urban
>>>>     interventions, and various ambiguities and contradiction (and
>>>>     thus require the collaboration between people with different
>>>>     expertise and background), 2) they are context-specific (and
>>>>     thus need to be easily installed and customized by non-savvy
>>>>     users), and 3) they have to compete with big corporations that
>>>>     attract most of people's online attention (and thus need to offer
>>>>     very high standards of usability and performance).
>>>>
>>>>     The discussion at Transmediale will be a continuity of the first
>>>>     meeting/assembly of off.networks  at the at the Chaos Computer
>>>>     Club conference in Hamburg:
>>>>     https://events.ccc.de/congress/2014/wiki/Assembly:Offline_Networks
>>>>     and our on-going online discussions
>>>>     atoff.networks@librelist.com <mailto:atoff.networks@librelist.com>.
>>>>     The discussion will open by existing members of the off.networks
>>>>     community: Aram Barholl (deaddrops), Jeff Andreoni (unmonastery),
>>>>     David Darts and Matthias Strubel (piratebox), Andreas Unteidig
>>>>     (hybrid
>>>>     letterbox),
>>>>     Sarah Grant (subnod.es <http://subnod.es>), Panayotis
>>>>     Antoniadis and Ileana Apostol
>>>>     (nethood.org <http://nethood.org>).
>>>>     People who will be joining the program of Transmediale such as
>>>>     Adnan Hadzi,
>>>>     James, Stevens, Telekommunisten, Henry Warwick, Superglue, will
>>>>     be invited
>>>>     to join also. We will follow an inclusive and open-ended mode
>>>>     of discussion
>>>>     where after the initial statements the stage will be given to
>>>>     participants from
>>>>     the audience who will have 2-3 minutes each to present their
>>>>     thoughts and
>>>>     ideas forming a big round table.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>
>
>
>
>
> -- 
> ------------
> What's important to you? Is that what you're doing? -
> http://imgur.com/r/comics/V6KoHbF

-- 

o l i v e r   l e r o n e   s c h u l t z

_ ... j u s t  N O W ?!
:: http://ram.lerone.net
 

Re: [off.networks] gathering/discussion @transmediale

From:
addie wagenknecht
Date:
2015-01-12 @ 17:11
this looks great. Im hoping to arrive on the 28th to trans, pending train
schedule.. addie

Re: [off.networks] gathering/discussion @transmediale - off.apps

From:
panayotis antoniadis
Date:
2015-01-18 @ 16:46
Hi!

I find Oliver et al's work very interesting and exciting. I would like
very much to participate in discussions and contribute, but I am
afraid this will be after transmediale (no time until then!)

 From my side, during CCC I started working with my limited php
skills to implement two very simple applications (off.apps):
- a stupidforum-like message board and
- a questionnaire/poll application (I added to this a simple
admin panel)

So, you can find here the current version(s) running here:
http://nethood.org/toolkit/forum
http://nethood.org/toolkit/questionapp
And the code is available here: https://github.com/nethood/toolkit
or directly here: http://nethood.org/toolkit/nethood_toolkit.zip

I hope that we will find some time with Sarah (subnod.es) to
coordinate on this together with others that are willing to address
the needs of the "average" non-savvy user/administrator :-)

So, I am not sure if there is a point to add the above apps to the
git repository created by James (being both trivial and incomplete),
https://github.com/mozboz/transmediale-apps/, but feel free to
copy/improve if they are of any help.

Looking forward to meeting you all in transmediale!

(another e-mail will follow soon on the organization of our
off.networks discussion event at the foyer)

Panayotis.







On 12.01.2015 12:28, oliver lerone schultz wrote:
> hey James, Jeff + all of off.networks!
>
> I have been silently following, and first I thought I could make it to 
> 31C3, which unfortunately didn´t work out for me.
> that, plus the fact that Jeff is in anyway associated in parts with 
> the 'Glossary of Subsumption'-track on transmediale made me first 
> talked to him.
> so thanks again to him for relaying this; and thanks to everybody for 
> considering this.
>
> just to give you an idea of what the interest was:
>
> I had already collborated with Adnan Hadzi + reSync around PirateBox 
> as a method to collect (should I say 'capture'?) research-material 
> around specific topics in the context of and as additional layer to 
> collective events. so we did this in Athens around 'Urban Enclosures' 
> (see 001-newathens-event.subsumption.xyz) but also on two occassions 
> around attempts to adress/digest media spectacles 
> (001-bts-brazil-event.spectral.cc + 002-vv10-istanbul-event.spectral.cc)
> – the idea was to let these 'pirate boxes' travel as vessels for 
> off-line research, sharing/distribution and commenting. so the idea 
> was to create links/continuity between different/discontinuous events, 
> provide a collective reflection around a topic of interest and to also 
> challenge academic issues around copyright/legitimacy/formats of 
> research using this 'offline'-digitality. – this is an ongoing 
> interest, and along with Adnan Hadzi I will follow this in any way.
>
> what I was looking for was a way to set up such a off-channel, mainly 
> for collection + distribution on the spot, during tm15 for the 
> "Glossary of Subsumption" track.
> this is in particular to help the second workshop building a Glossary 
> of Subsumption" in the coming time. for this what would be needed is 
> something like the PirateBox (the one device I know a little), but 
> with 2 modifications:
> 1) being able to give people who log on a better prompt of what they 
> are dealing with, what the can do, etc.
> 2) giving people a way to interact with the very folder-structure, 
> i.e. insert folders/collections/terms at a specific place
>
> my request to Jeff was whether there is a chance this 2 aims can be 
> solved in the context of and incollaboration with the off.networks 
> group?! so as you see, it´s only partly about distributing something 
> already existing - but rather making some particular interactions 
> possible.
> – I would be happy if there is a chance and some interest. also I 
> would be available to meet-up for things (planning, configuring etc), 
> also if that helps on the 19th.
>
> looking forward to any thoughts, feedbacks, and eventual meeting up!
> oliver
>
> James Lewis schrieb:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Following on from below discussion, I just wrote some guidelines for 
>> anyone who'd like to write an 'offline app' for the Transmediale 
>> offline network, here:
>>
>> https://github.com/mozboz/transmediale-apps/edit/master/README.md
>>
>> As part of the Unmonastery project, we'll have an 'offline network' 
>> that will at the least have a machine with a captive portal [1] and 
>> an easy to use 'file server' to provide static content from which 
>> will be able to distribute e.g. the glossary of subsumption, unmon 
>> BIOS, and anything else we want to put on it (or anything else people 
>> upload to share...?)
>>
>> On that network, we'll be able to provide servers to run an 'offline 
>> app' on, or bring your own machine (anything, Raspberry PI, cheap 
>> PC), and connect it to the network.
>>
>> James
>>
>> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_portal
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 1:10 PM, Bezdomny <home@bezdomny.org 
>> <mailto:home@bezdomny.org>> wrote:
>>
>>     Just to follow up on TM:
>>     Wednesday we met in Athens with four groups wishing to utilise
>>     the proposed offline network.
>>     Now it appears there are two:
>>     *unMonastery* and the *Subsumption* group
>>
>>     Practical applications:
>>     James (unMon) discussed getting an inexpensive PC to serve as a
>>     server and making some access points around the foyer
>>     Oliver (SubSum) wishes to distribute the “glossary of
>>     subsumption” via the network
>>     Ben (unMon) has proposed publishing the unmonastery “BIOS” via
>>     the network as well.
>>
>>     Proposed installations:
>>     it was discussed that upon arrival in Berlin, interested parties
>>     can begin working on an application like the “stupid forum
>>     <http://stupidforum.com/>” to be used with the network.
>>
>>     Here is a link
>>     
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GwNpHYMvw1OS5V_uXtK2BvzniS3kRzHTT4j1OCBETco/edit?usp=sharing>
to
>>     the notes on the session.
>>
>>     Oliver and James are CCed to discuss these ideas further.
>>
>>     Myself and James (most likely) will be in Berlin from Jan. 19th
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>     On Jan 6, 2015, at 10:10, panayotis antoniadis
>>     <panayotis@nethood.org <mailto:panayotis@nethood.org>> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>     This is my first effort to provide a photo for our offline
>>>     networks event at transmediale:
>>>     http://nethood.org/photos/logos/all_offnet_logos.png
>>>
>>>     There are some logos missing but this is only a draft
>>>     and I hope that someone more skilled will give it a try :-)
>>>
>>>     All individual logos that I collected until now and the source
>>>     file (offline_networks_logos.odp) are available here:
>>>     http://nethood.org/photos/logos/
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>     On 03.01.2015 16:15, panayotis antoniadis wrote:
>>>>     Hey! Happy new year! (with a lot of time spent offline :-)
>>>>
>>>>     I have many things to report but for now I only wish to inform
>>>>     you that our common activity at the CCC was mostly about
>>>>     discussing the organization of the off.networks event that will
>>>>     take place at the stage of the Transmediale foyer :-)
>>>>
>>>>     It seems that we all agreed that a "community building" event,
>>>>     where each of us will present his/her own experiences and
>>>>     perspective,
>>>>     followed by an open discussion on some important
>>>>     challenges/questions,
>>>>     including exactly how an offline networks community should look
>>>>     like.
>>>>
>>>>     Please feel free to provide feedback (soon) on the almost final
>>>>     description
>>>>     of the event:
>>>>     https://lite2.framapad.org/p/Offline_Networks_Manifesto
>>>>     (Section 2)
>>>>
>>>>     Also, it would be great if you had a nice idea about a photo
>>>>     needed for
>>>>     the transmediale web site. Perhaps a nice placement of our logos
>>>>     (piratebox,
>>>>     occupyhere, superglue, etc) around a first draft of the offline
>>>>     networks
>>>>     logo
>>>>     or the universal local WiFi sign? We have many designers and
>>>>     artists in
>>>>     the list
>>>>     and I hope someone will come up with something nice. Otherwise
>>>>     I will put
>>>>     my engineering hat and just put all the logos in a simple grid :-)
>>>>
>>>>     That's all for now! More coming soon ....
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>     On 22.12.2014 11:49, panayotis antoniadis wrote:
>>>>>     Dear all,
>>>>>
>>>>>     I am very happy to announce that there is a second
>>>>>     off.networks gathering being organized at transmediale!
>>>>>
>>>>>     Daphne
>>>>>     
(http://librelist.com/browser//off.networks/2014/12/1/list-members/#a56e97628601f2deea1ba41d2c2de634)
>>>>>     managed to reserve a slot for us at the foyer program
>>>>>     and asked me to prepare a short description.
>>>>>
>>>>>     So, find below a first draft, which is also available at the
>>>>>     manifesto
>>>>>     etherpad for you to edit:
>>>>>     https://lite2.framapad.org/p/Offline_Networks_Manifesto
>>>>>
>>>>>     Looking forward to meeting those that will be in Hamburg!
>>>>>
>>>>>     (I will arrive by train around 18h00 and I would be available
>>>>>     after
>>>>>     19h00 for dinner/beer. My mobile is +41 766195802
>>>>>     <tel:%2B41%20766195802> and by the way I don't
>>>>>     have 3G connection nor Internet at home: trying to be as
>>>>>     offline as possible :-)
>>>>>
>>>>>     Panayotis.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>     Title: offline networks unite! (or?)
>>>>>
>>>>>     Offline networks or off.networks started as an attempt
>>>>>     to bring together researchers, activists and artists
>>>>>     that work on the idea of an offline network, operating
>>>>>     outside the Internet. Such networks could range from
>>>>>     art projects such as deadrops, wifitagger, and
>>>>>     invisibleislands.org <http://invisibleislands.org>
>>>>>     and "personal networks" such as the  PirateBox.cc,
>>>>>     occupyhere.org <http://occupyhere.org>,
>>>>>     superglue.it <http://superglue.it>, and subnod.es
>>>>>     <http://subnod.es>, to neighbourhood/district networks like the
>>>>>     commotionwireless.net <http://commotionwireless.net> projects
>>>>>     and large city-scale networks like
>>>>>     guifi.net <http://guifi.net>, freifunk.net
>>>>>     <http://freifunk.net>, and awmn.net <http://awmn.net>.
>>>>>     During transmediale you will have the chance to experience
>>>>>     some of the small-scale networks at first hand.
>>>>>     In this gathering at the foyer we would like to take a break
>>>>>     to reflect critically on their possible role
>>>>>     in shaping the evolving hybrid space in cities and in
>>>>>     addressing the threats on our privacy, freedom
>>>>>     of speech, and self-determination posed by the big
>>>>>     Internet corporations and surveillance states.
>>>>>
>>>>>     We will discuss how our under construction off.networks
>>>>>     community will allow us to join forces in reaching our
>>>>>     common visions without sacrificing pluralism and independence.
>>>>>     We think that joining forces is important because 1) offline
>>>>>     networks are subject to hybrid design, both software and urban
>>>>>     interventions, and various ambiguities and contradiction (and
>>>>>     thus require the collaboration between people with different
>>>>>     expertise and background), 2) they are context-specific (and
>>>>>     thus need to be easily installed and customized by non-savvy
>>>>>     users), and 3) they have to compete with big corporations that
>>>>>     attract most of people's online attention (and thus need to offer
>>>>>     very high standards of usability and performance).
>>>>>
>>>>>     The discussion at Transmediale will be a continuity of the first
>>>>>     meeting/assembly of off.networks  at the at the Chaos Computer
>>>>>     Club conference in Hamburg:
>>>>>     https://events.ccc.de/congress/2014/wiki/Assembly:Offline_Networks
>>>>>     and our on-going online discussions
>>>>>     atoff.networks@librelist.com
>>>>>     <mailto:atoff.networks@librelist.com>.
>>>>>     The discussion will open by existing members of the off.networks
>>>>>     community: Aram Barholl (deaddrops), Jeff Andreoni (unmonastery),
>>>>>     David Darts and Matthias Strubel (piratebox), Andreas Unteidig
>>>>>     (hybrid
>>>>>     letterbox),
>>>>>     Sarah Grant (subnod.es <http://subnod.es>), Panayotis
>>>>>     Antoniadis and Ileana Apostol
>>>>>     (nethood.org <http://nethood.org>).
>>>>>     People who will be joining the program of Transmediale such as
>>>>>     Adnan Hadzi,
>>>>>     James, Stevens, Telekommunisten, Henry Warwick, Superglue,
>>>>>     will be invited
>>>>>     to join also. We will follow an inclusive and open-ended mode
>>>>>     of discussion
>>>>>     where after the initial statements the stage will be given to
>>>>>     participants from
>>>>>     the audience who will have 2-3 minutes each to present their
>>>>>     thoughts and
>>>>>     ideas forming a big round table.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> -- 
>> ------------
>> What's important to you? Is that what you're doing? - 
>> http://imgur.com/r/comics/V6KoHbF
>
> -- 
>
> o l i v e r   l e r o n e   s c h u l t z
>
> _ … j u s t  N O W ?!
> :: http://ram.lerone.net

Re: [off.networks] gathering/discussion @transmediale - off.apps

From:
oliver lerone schultz
Date:
2015-01-19 @ 09:40
hey everyone,

thanks Panayotis for expressing interest; and sharing! -- ... and surely
I would qualify for that ""average" non-savvy user/administrator" :-)
so, I am happy for any link-up between people/projects more into the
real device infrastructure and developing and tweaking that and such
'broader' projects dealing with the politics of the technical-/digital
condition, as the one I am initiating.

as for that: is the meeting for today still on??
I am not sure I caught everything on the list as I was one of those
afflicted by a bug with the mailing-list.
... but I would be happy to join in and exchange thoughts, ideas and
purposes.

generally, I am in contact with Minuette (who is also on this list and
was at 31C3), and we seem to be set to run a Library Box instance, that
already was customized to some ends helpful. and there appeared some
share interests and issues with the Rogue Scholar (Hybrid Publishing
Lab) project that she is running with some others.

... but looking forward to any other exchange + plug-ins as well!

best! oliver

panayotis antoniadis schrieb:
>
> Hi!
>
> I find Oliver et al's work very interesting and exciting. I would like
> very much to participate in discussions and contribute, but I am
> afraid this will be after transmediale (no time until then!)
>
> From my side, during CCC I started working with my limited php
> skills to implement two very simple applications (off.apps):
> - a stupidforum-like message board and
> - a questionnaire/poll application (I added to this a simple
> admin panel)
>
> So, you can find here the current version(s) running here:
> http://nethood.org/toolkit/forum
> http://nethood.org/toolkit/questionapp
> And the code is available here: https://github.com/nethood/toolkit
> or directly here: http://nethood.org/toolkit/nethood_toolkit.zip
>
> I hope that we will find some time with Sarah (subnod.es) to
> coordinate on this together with others that are willing to address
> the needs of the "average" non-savvy user/administrator :-)
>
> So, I am not sure if there is a point to add the above apps to the
> git repository created by James (being both trivial and incomplete),
> https://github.com/mozboz/transmediale-apps/, but feel free to
> copy/improve if they are of any help.
>
> Looking forward to meeting you all in transmediale!
>
> (another e-mail will follow soon on the organization of our
> off.networks discussion event at the foyer)
>
> Panayotis.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> On 12.01.2015 12:28, oliver lerone schultz wrote:
>> hey James, Jeff + all of off.networks!
>>
>> I have been silently following, and first I thought I could make it
>> to 31C3, which unfortunately didn´t work out for me.
>> that, plus the fact that Jeff is in anyway associated in parts with
>> the 'Glossary of Subsumption'-track on transmediale made me first
>> talked to him.
>> so thanks again to him for relaying this; and thanks to everybody for
>> considering this.
>>
>> just to give you an idea of what the interest was:
>>
>> I had already collborated with Adnan Hadzi + reSync around PirateBox
>> as a method to collect (should I say 'capture'?) research-material
>> around specific topics in the context of and as additional layer to
>> collective events. so we did this in Athens around 'Urban Enclosures'
>> (see 001-newathens-event.subsumption.xyz) but also on two occassions
>> around attempts to adress/digest media spectacles
>> (001-bts-brazil-event.spectral.cc + 002-vv10-istanbul-event.spectral.cc)
>> -- the idea was to let these 'pirate boxes' travel as vessels for
>> off-line research, sharing/distribution and commenting. so the idea
>> was to create links/continuity between different/discontinuous
>> events, provide a collective reflection around a topic of interest
>> and to also challenge academic issues around
>> copyright/legitimacy/formats of research using this
>> 'offline'-digitality. -- this is an ongoing interest, and along with
>> Adnan Hadzi I will follow this in any way.
>>
>> what I was looking for was a way to set up such a off-channel, mainly
>> for collection + distribution on the spot, during tm15 for the
>> "Glossary of Subsumption" track.
>> this is in particular to help the second workshop building a Glossary
>> of Subsumption" in the coming time. for this what would be needed is
>> something like the PirateBox (the one device I know a little), but
>> with 2 modifications:
>> 1) being able to give people who log on a better prompt of what they
>> are dealing with, what the can do, etc.
>> 2) giving people a way to interact with the very folder-structure,
>> i.e. insert folders/collections/terms at a specific place
>>
>> my request to Jeff was whether there is a chance this 2 aims can be
>> solved in the context of and incollaboration with the off.networks
>> group?! so as you see, it´s only partly about distributing something
>> already existing - but rather making some particular interactions
>> possible.
>> -- I would be happy if there is a chance and some interest. also I
>> would be available to meet-up for things (planning, configuring etc),
>> also if that helps on the 19th.
>>
>> looking forward to any thoughts, feedbacks, and eventual meeting up!
>> oliver
>>
>> James Lewis schrieb:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Following on from below discussion, I just wrote some guidelines for
>>> anyone who'd like to write an 'offline app' for the Transmediale
>>> offline network, here:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/mozboz/transmediale-apps/edit/master/README.md
>>>
>>> As part of the Unmonastery project, we'll have an 'offline network'
>>> that will at the least have a machine with a captive portal [1] and
>>> an easy to use 'file server' to provide static content from which
>>> will be able to distribute e.g. the glossary of subsumption, unmon
>>> BIOS, and anything else we want to put on it (or anything else
>>> people upload to share...?)
>>>
>>> On that network, we'll be able to provide servers to run an 'offline
>>> app' on, or bring your own machine (anything, Raspberry PI, cheap
>>> PC), and connect it to the network.
>>>
>>> James
>>>
>>> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_portal
>>>
>>> On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 1:10 PM, Bezdomny <home@bezdomny.org
>>> <mailto:home@bezdomny.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     Just to follow up on TM: 
>>>     Wednesday we met in Athens with four groups wishing to utilise
>>>     the proposed offline network.
>>>     Now it appears there are two:
>>>     *unMonastery* and the *Subsumption* group
>>>
>>>     Practical applications:
>>>     James (unMon) discussed getting an inexpensive PC to serve as a
>>>     server and making some access points around the foyer
>>>     Oliver (SubSum) wishes to distribute the "glossary of
>>>     subsumption" via the network
>>>     Ben (unMon) has proposed publishing the unmonastery "BIOS" via
>>>     the network as well.
>>>
>>>     Proposed installations:
>>>     it was discussed that upon arrival in Berlin, interested parties
>>>     can begin working on an application like the "stupid forum
>>>     <http://stupidforum.com/>" to be used with the network. 
>>>
>>>     Here is a link
>>>     
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GwNpHYMvw1OS5V_uXtK2BvzniS3kRzHTT4j1OCBETco/edit?usp=sharing>
to
>>>     the notes on the session.
>>>
>>>     Oliver and James are CCed to discuss these ideas further. 
>>>
>>>     Myself and James (most likely) will be in Berlin from Jan. 19th
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>     On Jan 6, 2015, at 10:10, panayotis antoniadis
>>>     <panayotis@nethood.org <mailto:panayotis@nethood.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>>>
>>>>     This is my first effort to provide a photo for our offline
>>>>     networks event at transmediale:
>>>>     http://nethood.org/photos/logos/all_offnet_logos.png
>>>>
>>>>     There are some logos missing but this is only a draft
>>>>     and I hope that someone more skilled will give it a try :-)
>>>>
>>>>     All individual logos that I collected until now and the source
>>>>     file (offline_networks_logos.odp) are available here:
>>>>     http://nethood.org/photos/logos/
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>     On 03.01.2015 16:15, panayotis antoniadis wrote:
>>>>>     Hey! Happy new year! (with a lot of time spent offline :-)
>>>>>
>>>>>     I have many things to report but for now I only wish to inform
>>>>>     you that our common activity at the CCC was mostly about
>>>>>     discussing the organization of the off.networks event that will
>>>>>     take place at the stage of the Transmediale foyer :-)
>>>>>
>>>>>     It seems that we all agreed that a "community building" event,
>>>>>     where each of us will present his/her own experiences and
>>>>>     perspective,
>>>>>     followed by an open discussion on some important
>>>>>     challenges/questions,
>>>>>     including exactly how an offline networks community should
>>>>>     look like.
>>>>>
>>>>>     Please feel free to provide feedback (soon) on the almost
>>>>>     final description
>>>>>     of the event:
>>>>>     https://lite2.framapad.org/p/Offline_Networks_Manifesto
>>>>>     (Section 2)
>>>>>
>>>>>     Also, it would be great if you had a nice idea about a photo
>>>>>     needed for
>>>>>     the transmediale web site. Perhaps a nice placement of our logos
>>>>>     (piratebox,
>>>>>     occupyhere, superglue, etc) around a first draft of the
>>>>>     offline networks
>>>>>     logo
>>>>>     or the universal local WiFi sign? We have many designers and
>>>>>     artists in
>>>>>     the list
>>>>>     and I hope someone will come up with something nice. Otherwise
>>>>>     I will put
>>>>>     my engineering hat and just put all the logos in a simple grid :-)
>>>>>
>>>>>     That's all for now! More coming soon ....
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>     On 22.12.2014 11:49, panayotis antoniadis wrote:
>>>>>>     Dear all,
>>>>>>
>>>>>>     I am very happy to announce that there is a second
>>>>>>     off.networks gathering being organized at transmediale!
>>>>>>
>>>>>>     Daphne
>>>>>>     
(http://librelist.com/browser//off.networks/2014/12/1/list-members/#a56e97628601f2deea1ba41d2c2de634)
>>>>>>     managed to reserve a slot for us at the foyer program
>>>>>>     and asked me to prepare a short description.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>     So, find below a first draft, which is also available at the
>>>>>>     manifesto
>>>>>>     etherpad for you to edit:
>>>>>>     https://lite2.framapad.org/p/Offline_Networks_Manifesto
>>>>>>
>>>>>>     Looking forward to meeting those that will be in Hamburg!
>>>>>>
>>>>>>     (I will arrive by train around 18h00 and I would be available
>>>>>>     after
>>>>>>     19h00 for dinner/beer. My mobile is +41 766195802
>>>>>>     <tel:%2B41%20766195802> and by the way I don't
>>>>>>     have 3G connection nor Internet at home: trying to be as
>>>>>>     offline as possible :-)
>>>>>>
>>>>>>     Panayotis.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>     Title: offline networks unite! (or?)
>>>>>>
>>>>>>     Offline networks or off.networks started as an attempt
>>>>>>     to bring together researchers, activists and artists
>>>>>>     that work on the idea of an offline network, operating
>>>>>>     outside the Internet. Such networks could range from
>>>>>>     art projects such as deadrops, wifitagger, and
>>>>>>     invisibleislands.org <http://invisibleislands.org>
>>>>>>     and "personal networks" such as the  PirateBox.cc,
>>>>>>     occupyhere.org <http://occupyhere.org>,
>>>>>>     superglue.it <http://superglue.it>, and subnod.es
>>>>>>     <http://subnod.es>, to neighbourhood/district networks like the
>>>>>>     commotionwireless.net <http://commotionwireless.net> projects
>>>>>>     and large city-scale networks like
>>>>>>     guifi.net <http://guifi.net>, freifunk.net
>>>>>>     <http://freifunk.net>, and awmn.net <http://awmn.net>.
>>>>>>     During transmediale you will have the chance to experience
>>>>>>     some of the small-scale networks at first hand.
>>>>>>     In this gathering at the foyer we would like to take a break
>>>>>>     to reflect critically on their possible role
>>>>>>     in shaping the evolving hybrid space in cities and in
>>>>>>     addressing the threats on our privacy, freedom
>>>>>>     of speech, and self-determination posed by the big
>>>>>>     Internet corporations and surveillance states.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>     We will discuss how our under construction off.networks
>>>>>>     community will allow us to join forces in reaching our
>>>>>>     common visions without sacrificing pluralism and independence.
>>>>>>     We think that joining forces is important because 1) offline
>>>>>>     networks are subject to hybrid design, both software and urban
>>>>>>     interventions, and various ambiguities and contradiction (and
>>>>>>     thus require the collaboration between people with different
>>>>>>     expertise and background), 2) they are context-specific (and
>>>>>>     thus need to be easily installed and customized by non-savvy
>>>>>>     users), and 3) they have to compete with big corporations that
>>>>>>     attract most of people's online attention (and thus need to offer
>>>>>>     very high standards of usability and performance).
>>>>>>
>>>>>>     The discussion at Transmediale will be a continuity of the first
>>>>>>     meeting/assembly of off.networks  at the at the Chaos Computer
>>>>>>     Club conference in Hamburg:
>>>>>>     https://events.ccc.de/congress/2014/wiki/Assembly:Offline_Networks
>>>>>>     and our on-going online discussions
>>>>>>     atoff.networks@librelist.com
>>>>>>     <mailto:atoff.networks@librelist.com>.
>>>>>>     The discussion will open by existing members of the off.networks
>>>>>>     community: Aram Barholl (deaddrops), Jeff Andreoni (unmonastery),
>>>>>>     David Darts and Matthias Strubel (piratebox), Andreas
>>>>>>     Unteidig (hybrid
>>>>>>     letterbox),
>>>>>>     Sarah Grant (subnod.es <http://subnod.es>), Panayotis
>>>>>>     Antoniadis and Ileana Apostol
>>>>>>     (nethood.org <http://nethood.org>).
>>>>>>     People who will be joining the program of Transmediale such
>>>>>>     as Adnan Hadzi,
>>>>>>     James, Stevens, Telekommunisten, Henry Warwick, Superglue,
>>>>>>     will be invited
>>>>>>     to join also. We will follow an inclusive and open-ended mode
>>>>>>     of discussion
>>>>>>     where after the initial statements the stage will be given to
>>>>>>     participants from
>>>>>>     the audience who will have 2-3 minutes each to present their
>>>>>>     thoughts and
>>>>>>     ideas forming a big round table.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> -- 
>>> ------------
>>> What's important to you? Is that what you're doing? -
>>> http://imgur.com/r/comics/V6KoHbF
>>
>> -- 
>>
>> o l i v e r   l e r o n e   s c h u l t z
>>
>> _ ... j u s t  N O W ?!
>> :: http://ram.lerone.net
>>  
>

Re: [off.networks] gathering/discussion @transmediale - off.apps

From:
Jeff
Date:
2015-01-19 @ 14:13
I just got to Berlin, is there a meeting today? 

On January 19, 2015 10:40:59 AM CET, oliver lerone schultz 
<vision@assemblies.cc> wrote:
>hey everyone,
>
>thanks Panayotis for expressing interest; and sharing! -- ... and
>surely
>I would qualify for that ""average" non-savvy user/administrator" :-)
>so, I am happy for any link-up between people/projects more into the
>real device infrastructure and developing and tweaking that and such
>'broader' projects dealing with the politics of the technical-/digital
>condition, as the one I am initiating.
>
>as for that: is the meeting for today still on??
>I am not sure I caught everything on the list as I was one of those
>afflicted by a bug with the mailing-list.
>... but I would be happy to join in and exchange thoughts, ideas and
>purposes.
>
>generally, I am in contact with Minuette (who is also on this list and
>was at 31C3), and we seem to be set to run a Library Box instance, that
>already was customized to some ends helpful. and there appeared some
>share interests and issues with the Rogue Scholar (Hybrid Publishing
>Lab) project that she is running with some others.
>
>... but looking forward to any other exchange + plug-ins as well!
>
>best! oliver
>
>panayotis antoniadis schrieb:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I find Oliver et al's work very interesting and exciting. I would
>like
>> very much to participate in discussions and contribute, but I am
>> afraid this will be after transmediale (no time until then!)
>>
>> From my side, during CCC I started working with my limited php
>> skills to implement two very simple applications (off.apps):
>> - a stupidforum-like message board and
>> - a questionnaire/poll application (I added to this a simple
>> admin panel)
>>
>> So, you can find here the current version(s) running here:
>> http://nethood.org/toolkit/forum
>> http://nethood.org/toolkit/questionapp
>> And the code is available here: https://github.com/nethood/toolkit
>> or directly here: http://nethood.org/toolkit/nethood_toolkit.zip
>>
>> I hope that we will find some time with Sarah (subnod.es) to
>> coordinate on this together with others that are willing to address
>> the needs of the "average" non-savvy user/administrator :-)
>>
>> So, I am not sure if there is a point to add the above apps to the
>> git repository created by James (being both trivial and incomplete),
>> https://github.com/mozboz/transmediale-apps/, but feel free to
>> copy/improve if they are of any help.
>>
>> Looking forward to meeting you all in transmediale!
>>
>> (another e-mail will follow soon on the organization of our
>> off.networks discussion event at the foyer)
>>
>> Panayotis.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> On 12.01.2015 12:28, oliver lerone schultz wrote:
>>> hey James, Jeff + all of off.networks!
>>>
>>> I have been silently following, and first I thought I could make it
>>> to 31C3, which unfortunately didn´t work out for me.
>>> that, plus the fact that Jeff is in anyway associated in parts with
>>> the 'Glossary of Subsumption'-track on transmediale made me first
>>> talked to him.
>>> so thanks again to him for relaying this; and thanks to everybody
>for
>>> considering this.
>>>
>>> just to give you an idea of what the interest was:
>>>
>>> I had already collborated with Adnan Hadzi + reSync around PirateBox
>>> as a method to collect (should I say 'capture'?) research-material
>>> around specific topics in the context of and as additional layer to
>>> collective events. so we did this in Athens around 'Urban
>Enclosures'
>>> (see 001-newathens-event.subsumption.xyz) but also on two occassions
>>> around attempts to adress/digest media spectacles
>>> (001-bts-brazil-event.spectral.cc +
>002-vv10-istanbul-event.spectral.cc)
>>> -- the idea was to let these 'pirate boxes' travel as vessels for
>>> off-line research, sharing/distribution and commenting. so the idea
>>> was to create links/continuity between different/discontinuous
>>> events, provide a collective reflection around a topic of interest
>>> and to also challenge academic issues around
>>> copyright/legitimacy/formats of research using this
>>> 'offline'-digitality. -- this is an ongoing interest, and along with
>>> Adnan Hadzi I will follow this in any way.
>>>
>>> what I was looking for was a way to set up such a off-channel,
>mainly
>>> for collection + distribution on the spot, during tm15 for the
>>> "Glossary of Subsumption" track.
>>> this is in particular to help the second workshop building a
>Glossary
>>> of Subsumption" in the coming time. for this what would be needed is
>>> something like the PirateBox (the one device I know a little), but
>>> with 2 modifications:
>>> 1) being able to give people who log on a better prompt of what they
>>> are dealing with, what the can do, etc.
>>> 2) giving people a way to interact with the very folder-structure,
>>> i.e. insert folders/collections/terms at a specific place
>>>
>>> my request to Jeff was whether there is a chance this 2 aims can be
>>> solved in the context of and incollaboration with the off.networks
>>> group?! so as you see, it´s only partly about distributing something
>>> already existing - but rather making some particular interactions
>>> possible.
>>> -- I would be happy if there is a chance and some interest. also I
>>> would be available to meet-up for things (planning, configuring
>etc),
>>> also if that helps on the 19th.
>>>
>>> looking forward to any thoughts, feedbacks, and eventual meeting up!
>>> oliver
>>>
>>> James Lewis schrieb:
>>>> Hi all,
>>>>
>>>> Following on from below discussion, I just wrote some guidelines
>for
>>>> anyone who'd like to write an 'offline app' for the Transmediale
>>>> offline network, here:
>>>>
>>>> https://github.com/mozboz/transmediale-apps/edit/master/README.md
>>>>
>>>> As part of the Unmonastery project, we'll have an 'offline network'
>>>> that will at the least have a machine with a captive portal [1] and
>>>> an easy to use 'file server' to provide static content from which
>>>> will be able to distribute e.g. the glossary of subsumption, unmon
>>>> BIOS, and anything else we want to put on it (or anything else
>>>> people upload to share...?)
>>>>
>>>> On that network, we'll be able to provide servers to run an
>'offline
>>>> app' on, or bring your own machine (anything, Raspberry PI, cheap
>>>> PC), and connect it to the network.
>>>>
>>>> James
>>>>
>>>> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_portal
>>>>
>>>> On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 1:10 PM, Bezdomny <home@bezdomny.org
>>>> <mailto:home@bezdomny.org>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>     Just to follow up on TM: 
>>>>     Wednesday we met in Athens with four groups wishing to utilise
>>>>     the proposed offline network.
>>>>     Now it appears there are two:
>>>>     *unMonastery* and the *Subsumption* group
>>>>
>>>>     Practical applications:
>>>>     James (unMon) discussed getting an inexpensive PC to serve as a
>>>>     server and making some access points around the foyer
>>>>     Oliver (SubSum) wishes to distribute the "glossary of
>>>>     subsumption" via the network
>>>>     Ben (unMon) has proposed publishing the unmonastery "BIOS" via
>>>>     the network as well.
>>>>
>>>>     Proposed installations:
>>>>     it was discussed that upon arrival in Berlin, interested
>parties
>>>>     can begin working on an application like the "stupid forum
>>>>     <http://stupidforum.com/>" to be used with the network. 
>>>>
>>>>     Here is a link
>>>>    

><https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GwNpHYMvw1OS5V_uXtK2BvzniS3kRzHTT4j1OCBETco/edit?usp=sharing>
>to
>>>>     the notes on the session.
>>>>
>>>>     Oliver and James are CCed to discuss these ideas further. 
>>>>
>>>>     Myself and James (most likely) will be in Berlin from Jan. 19th
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>     On Jan 6, 2015, at 10:10, panayotis antoniadis
>>>>     <panayotis@nethood.org <mailto:panayotis@nethood.org>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>     This is my first effort to provide a photo for our offline
>>>>>     networks event at transmediale:
>>>>>     http://nethood.org/photos/logos/all_offnet_logos.png
>>>>>
>>>>>     There are some logos missing but this is only a draft
>>>>>     and I hope that someone more skilled will give it a try :-)
>>>>>
>>>>>     All individual logos that I collected until now and the source
>>>>>     file (offline_networks_logos.odp) are available here:
>>>>>     http://nethood.org/photos/logos/
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>     On 03.01.2015 16:15, panayotis antoniadis wrote:
>>>>>>     Hey! Happy new year! (with a lot of time spent offline :-)
>>>>>>
>>>>>>     I have many things to report but for now I only wish to
>inform
>>>>>>     you that our common activity at the CCC was mostly about
>>>>>>     discussing the organization of the off.networks event that
>will
>>>>>>     take place at the stage of the Transmediale foyer :-)
>>>>>>
>>>>>>     It seems that we all agreed that a "community building"
>event,
>>>>>>     where each of us will present his/her own experiences and
>>>>>>     perspective,
>>>>>>     followed by an open discussion on some important
>>>>>>     challenges/questions,
>>>>>>     including exactly how an offline networks community should
>>>>>>     look like.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>     Please feel free to provide feedback (soon) on the almost
>>>>>>     final description
>>>>>>     of the event:
>>>>>>     https://lite2.framapad.org/p/Offline_Networks_Manifesto
>>>>>>     (Section 2)
>>>>>>
>>>>>>     Also, it would be great if you had a nice idea about a photo
>>>>>>     needed for
>>>>>>     the transmediale web site. Perhaps a nice placement of our
>logos
>>>>>>     (piratebox,
>>>>>>     occupyhere, superglue, etc) around a first draft of the
>>>>>>     offline networks
>>>>>>     logo
>>>>>>     or the universal local WiFi sign? We have many designers and
>>>>>>     artists in
>>>>>>     the list
>>>>>>     and I hope someone will come up with something nice.
>Otherwise
>>>>>>     I will put
>>>>>>     my engineering hat and just put all the logos in a simple
>grid :-)
>>>>>>
>>>>>>     That's all for now! More coming soon ....
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>     On 22.12.2014 11:49, panayotis antoniadis wrote:
>>>>>>>     Dear all,
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>     I am very happy to announce that there is a second
>>>>>>>     off.networks gathering being organized at transmediale!
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>     Daphne
>>>>>>>    

>(http://librelist.com/browser//off.networks/2014/12/1/list-members/#a56e97628601f2deea1ba41d2c2de634)
>>>>>>>     managed to reserve a slot for us at the foyer program
>>>>>>>     and asked me to prepare a short description.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>     So, find below a first draft, which is also available at the
>>>>>>>     manifesto
>>>>>>>     etherpad for you to edit:
>>>>>>>     https://lite2.framapad.org/p/Offline_Networks_Manifesto
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>     Looking forward to meeting those that will be in Hamburg!
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>     (I will arrive by train around 18h00 and I would be
>available
>>>>>>>     after
>>>>>>>     19h00 for dinner/beer. My mobile is +41 766195802
>>>>>>>     <tel:%2B41%20766195802> and by the way I don't
>>>>>>>     have 3G connection nor Internet at home: trying to be as
>>>>>>>     offline as possible :-)
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>     Panayotis.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>     Title: offline networks unite! (or?)
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>     Offline networks or off.networks started as an attempt
>>>>>>>     to bring together researchers, activists and artists
>>>>>>>     that work on the idea of an offline network, operating
>>>>>>>     outside the Internet. Such networks could range from
>>>>>>>     art projects such as deadrops, wifitagger, and
>>>>>>>     invisibleislands.org <http://invisibleislands.org>
>>>>>>>     and "personal networks" such as the  PirateBox.cc,
>>>>>>>     occupyhere.org <http://occupyhere.org>,
>>>>>>>     superglue.it <http://superglue.it>, and subnod.es
>>>>>>>     <http://subnod.es>, to neighbourhood/district networks like
>the
>>>>>>>     commotionwireless.net <http://commotionwireless.net>
>projects
>>>>>>>     and large city-scale networks like
>>>>>>>     guifi.net <http://guifi.net>, freifunk.net
>>>>>>>     <http://freifunk.net>, and awmn.net <http://awmn.net>.
>>>>>>>     During transmediale you will have the chance to experience
>>>>>>>     some of the small-scale networks at first hand.
>>>>>>>     In this gathering at the foyer we would like to take a break
>>>>>>>     to reflect critically on their possible role
>>>>>>>     in shaping the evolving hybrid space in cities and in
>>>>>>>     addressing the threats on our privacy, freedom
>>>>>>>     of speech, and self-determination posed by the big
>>>>>>>     Internet corporations and surveillance states.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>     We will discuss how our under construction off.networks
>>>>>>>     community will allow us to join forces in reaching our
>>>>>>>     common visions without sacrificing pluralism and
>independence.
>>>>>>>     We think that joining forces is important because 1) offline
>>>>>>>     networks are subject to hybrid design, both software and
>urban
>>>>>>>     interventions, and various ambiguities and contradiction
>(and
>>>>>>>     thus require the collaboration between people with different
>>>>>>>     expertise and background), 2) they are context-specific (and
>>>>>>>     thus need to be easily installed and customized by non-savvy
>>>>>>>     users), and 3) they have to compete with big corporations
>that
>>>>>>>     attract most of people's online attention (and thus need to
>offer
>>>>>>>     very high standards of usability and performance).
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>     The discussion at Transmediale will be a continuity of the
>first
>>>>>>>     meeting/assembly of off.networks  at the at the Chaos
>Computer
>>>>>>>     Club conference in Hamburg:
>>>>>>>    
>https://events.ccc.de/congress/2014/wiki/Assembly:Offline_Networks
>>>>>>>     and our on-going online discussions
>>>>>>>     atoff.networks@librelist.com
>>>>>>>     <mailto:atoff.networks@librelist.com>.
>>>>>>>     The discussion will open by existing members of the
>off.networks
>>>>>>>     community: Aram Barholl (deaddrops), Jeff Andreoni
>(unmonastery),
>>>>>>>     David Darts and Matthias Strubel (piratebox), Andreas
>>>>>>>     Unteidig (hybrid
>>>>>>>     letterbox),
>>>>>>>     Sarah Grant (subnod.es <http://subnod.es>), Panayotis
>>>>>>>     Antoniadis and Ileana Apostol
>>>>>>>     (nethood.org <http://nethood.org>).
>>>>>>>     People who will be joining the program of Transmediale such
>>>>>>>     as Adnan Hadzi,
>>>>>>>     James, Stevens, Telekommunisten, Henry Warwick, Superglue,
>>>>>>>     will be invited
>>>>>>>     to join also. We will follow an inclusive and open-ended
>mode
>>>>>>>     of discussion
>>>>>>>     where after the initial statements the stage will be given
>to
>>>>>>>     participants from
>>>>>>>     the audience who will have 2-3 minutes each to present their
>>>>>>>     thoughts and
>>>>>>>     ideas forming a big round table.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> -- 
>>>> ------------
>>>> What's important to you? Is that what you're doing? -
>>>> http://imgur.com/r/comics/V6KoHbF
>>>
>>> -- 
>>>
>>> o l i v e r   l e r o n e   s c h u l t z
>>>
>>> _ ... j u s t  N O W ?!
>>> :: http://ram.lerone.net
>>>  
>>

-- 
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.