Related by Category plugin

Related by Category plugin

James Abbott
2013-03-16 @ 08:53
Hello list,

I'm pleased to announce a plugin for finding related articles for Nesta:

It's based on the insight that an article's categories form a succinct
semantic field for it; categories say a lot about an article's content. One
can decide whether article A is relevant to article B by analyzing their
textual content, or one can do it the leaner way: identifying the set of
categories common to each. From there, it's about assigning a relevance
rank based on that set to each of A's related articles.

Thanks to Graham for assistance with Nesta and helping me arrive at a good
API.

You may remember that I asked here whether to include random selection,
along with the version based on calculated rankings. I've decided to only
include the latter, because the quality of a random selection cannot be
guaranteed with a live site. It's a theme for a blog post, but basically, 3
factors can dilute the relevance of results: how many categories an article
is tagged with, the window of selection, and the size of the set of related
articles.

That's it for now - feedback welcome!

/ James

Re: [nesta] Related by Category plugin

Graham Ashton
2013-03-16 @ 08:59
On 16 Mar 2013, at 08:53, James Abbott <abbottjam@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm pleased to announce a plugin for finding related articles for Nesta:
> https://github.com/abbottjam/nesta-plugin-related-by-category

Nice job James. I'm running it on my blog, if anybody wants to see it in action:

(scroll down)

We should make a plugin page for it on nestacms.com...

Re: [nesta] Related by Category plugin

James Abbott
2013-03-16 @ 09:03
> We should make a plugin page for it on nestacms.com...

I can write the content if you like - will ping you via PM.

/James

On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 9:59 AM, Graham Ashton <graham@effectif.com> wrote:

> On 16 Mar 2013, at 08:53, James Abbott <abbottjam@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm pleased to announce a plugin for finding related articles for Nesta:
> https://github.com/abbottjam/nesta-plugin-related-by-category
> Nice job James. I'm running it on my blog, if anybody wants to see it in
> action:
> http://effectif.com/git/recovering-lost-git-commits
> (scroll down)
> We should make a plugin page for it on nestacms.com...

Re: [nesta] Related by Category plugin

Graham Ashton
2013-03-16 @ 20:37
On 16 Mar 2013, at 09:03, James Abbott <abbottjam@gmail.com> wrote:

> I can write the content if you like - will ping you via PM.

Cool. Just fork nestacms.com, add a new page, then send me a pull request... :-)

Graham Ashton
Founder, Agile Planner
https://www.agileplannerapp.com | @agileplanner | @grahamashton

Re: [nesta] Related by Category plugin

James Abbott
2013-03-29 @ 16:43
> Cool. Just fork nestacms.com, add a new page, then send me a pull
> request... :-)

Done :-)

/J.

On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 9:37 PM, Graham Ashton <graham@effectif.com> wrote:

> On 16 Mar 2013, at 09:03, James Abbott <abbottjam@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I can write the content if you like - will ping you via PM.
> Cool. Just fork nestacms.com, add a new page, then send me a pull
> request... :-)
> Graham Ashton
> Founder, Agile Planner
> https://www.agileplannerapp.com | @agileplanner | @grahamashton

Re: [nesta] Related by Category plugin

Jason Clark
2013-03-18 @ 16:55
Great plug-in! I'll see if I can put it into my blog by the end of the
week. My site is currently lacking in the category and related post areas.
This will definitely help out.

Thanks,
Jason

On Mar 16, 2013, at 3:53 AM, James Abbott <abbottjam@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello list,
> I'm pleased to announce a plugin for finding related articles for Nesta:
> https://github.com/abbottjam/nesta-plugin-related-by-category
> It's based on the insight that an article's categories form a succinct
semantic field for it; categories say a lot about an article's content.
One can decide whether article A is relevant to article B by analyzing
their textual content, or one can do it the leaner way: identifying the
set of categories common to each. From there, it's about assigning a
relevance rank based on that set to each of A's related articles.
> Thanks to Graham for assistance with Nesta and helping me arrive at a good API.
> You may remember that I asked here whether to include random selection,
along with the version based on calculated rankings. I've decided to only
include the latter, because the quality of a random selection cannot be
guaranteed with a live site. It's a theme for a blog post, but basically,
3 factors can dilute the relevance of results: how many categories an
article is tagged with, the window of selection, and the size of the set
of related articles.
> That's it for now - feedback welcome!
> / James

Re: [nesta] Related by Category plugin

James Abbott
2013-03-19 @ 07:58
Great! :-)

/J.

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 5:55 PM, Jason Clark <jason@jjasonclark.com> wrote:

> Great plug-in! I'll see if I can put it into my blog by the end of the
> week. My site is currently lacking in the category and related post areas.
> This will definitely help out.
> Thanks,
> Jason
> On Mar 16, 2013, at 3:53 AM, James Abbott <abbottjam@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello list,
> I'm pleased to announce a plugin for finding related articles for Nesta:
> https://github.com/abbottjam/nesta-plugin-related-by-category
> It's based on the insight that an article's categories form a succinct
> semantic field for it; categories say a lot about an article's content. One
> can decide whether article A is relevant to article B by analyzing their
> textual content, or one can do it the leaner way: identifying the set of
> categories common to each. From there, it's about assigning a relevance
> rank based on that set to each of A's related articles.
> Thanks to Graham for assistance with Nesta and helping me arrive at a good
> API.
> You may remember that I asked here whether to include random selection,
> along with the version based on calculated rankings. I've decided to only
> include the latter, because the quality of a random selection cannot be
> guaranteed with a live site. It's a theme for a blog post, but basically, 3
> factors can dilute the relevance of results: how many categories an article
> is tagged with, the window of selection, and the size of the set of related
> articles.
> That's it for now - feedback welcome!
> / James