librelist archives

« back to archive

A couple of gem issues....

A couple of gem issues....

From:
tony Spore
Date:
2011-03-17 @ 05:17
I really like nesta and decided to move my blog over to the gem but I have a
couple of issues on the home page
which loads -
%section.articles= article_summaries(latest_articles)  I get:

 undefined local variable or method `latest_articles' for

Second I tried to deploy using passenger  and I get:

no such file to load -- app



Thanks!

Re: [nesta] A couple of gem issues....

From:
Graham Ashton
Date:
2011-03-17 @ 08:02
On 17 Mar 2011, at 05:17, tony Spore wrote:

> undefined local variable or method `latest_articles'

The latest_articles method is defined in the lib/nesta/app.rb file that 
lives in the gem. Nothing will work if that file can't be found; it kicks 
everything off.

I wonder if there's something funny going on with your install?

> Second I tried to deploy using passenger  and I get:
>  
> no such file to load -- app

How have you installed the gem? That must be getting raised by line 6 of 
config.ru, which requires nesta/app. It implies that the Nesta gem isn't 
being found by Passenger.

If you tar your project up and upload it to somewhere where I can download
it (or point me at a git repo), I'll take a look and see if it starts up 
for me. Otherwise, I think we'll need a lot more information about how 
you've installed Ruby and Nesta, and some commands that can reproduce the 
problem on a new (dummy) site.

If you drop into #nesta today you may find me in there, depending on 
whether or not I'm at my desk. You'll need to attract my attention by 
typing "gma" though, or I might not notice you've logged on.

Re: [nesta] A couple of gem issues....

From:
tony Spore
Date:
2011-03-17 @ 17:32
Its working fine on my local machine, and Heroku. But on my unbuntu box I'm
getting the errors (I do have the gem installed) running 1.9.2 and RVM.
I think that the first issue is my old template, is causing the issue. So to
help spread out the errors, I just went to the default template for now.
Heroku is ok, I just like to keep all my Ruby / Rails apps together.





On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 1:02 AM, Graham Ashton <graham@effectif.com> wrote:

> On 17 Mar 2011, at 05:17, tony Spore wrote:
>
> > undefined local variable or method `latest_articles'
>
> The latest_articles method is defined in the lib/nesta/app.rb file that
> lives in the gem. Nothing will work if that file can't be found; it kicks
> everything off.
>
> I wonder if there's something funny going on with your install?
>
> > Second I tried to deploy using passenger  and I get:
> >
> > no such file to load -- app
>
> How have you installed the gem? That must be getting raised by line 6 of
> config.ru, which requires nesta/app. It implies that the Nesta gem isn't
> being found by Passenger.
>
> If you tar your project up and upload it to somewhere where I can download
> it (or point me at a git repo), I'll take a look and see if it starts up for
> me. Otherwise, I think we'll need a lot more information about how you've
> installed Ruby and Nesta, and some commands that can reproduce the problem
> on a new (dummy) site.
>
> If you drop into #nesta today you may find me in there, depending on
> whether or not I'm at my desk. You'll need to attract my attention by typing
> "gma" though, or I might not notice you've logged on.
>

Re: [nesta] A couple of gem issues....

From:
Graham Ashton
Date:
2011-03-18 @ 17:05
On 17 Mar 2011, at 17:32, tony Spore wrote:

> Its working fine on my local machine, and Heroku. But on my unbuntu box 
I'm getting the errors (I do have the gem installed) running 1.9.2 and 
RVM. 

I think Mika may have been on the right lines. For whatever reason, it 
sounds as though passenger can't find the gem. What does this show you?

    $ grep nginx.conf

If you use the gem binary in the same folder as that version of ruby, does
this produce any output?

    $ /path/to/nginx's/ruby/install/bin/gem list nesta

Re: [nesta] A couple of gem issues....

From:
Mika Tuupola
Date:
2011-03-17 @ 09:03
On Mar 17, 2011, at 10:02 AM, Graham Ashton wrote:

>> Second I tried to deploy using passenger  and I get:
>> 
>> no such file to load -- app
> 
> How have you installed the gem? That must be getting raised by line 6 of
config.ru, which requires nesta/app. It implies that the Nesta gem isn't 
being found by Passenger.

And if you are using enterprise ruby have you installed the gem with 
correct gem command. Ie 

/opt/ruby-enterprise-1.8.7-2010.02/bin/gem 

vs   

/usr/bin/gem

?

-- 
Mika Tuupola
http://www.appelsiini.net/