Comments with Disqus

Comments with Disqus

James Abbott
2011-12-26 @ 15:44
Hi all,-

I've decided to experiment with allowing comments on my site through
Disqus. So I've followed the instructions (
http://nestacms.com/docs/config/comments-with-disqus) but the Disqus
functionality isn't showing below the articles.

My page.haml ends in this:

= haml :page_meta, :layout => false, :locals => { :page => @page }
>   = haml :comments, :layout => false

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
James

PS. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year everyone.

Re: [nesta] Comments with Disqus

Graham Ashton
2011-12-26 @ 17:05
On 26 Dec 2011, at 15:44, James Abbott <abbottjam@gmail.com> wrote:

> Am I missing something?

That's why you shouldn't wave your iPhone about while replying to emails.
Let's try that again…

Check whether your web page has any HTML in it that is contained in the
comments HAML file. There'll be an if statement wrapped around it, that
will put a tag on the page for disqus to attach to on load.

I wonder whether your environment (i.e. production) is being setup
correctly? That might lead to the config being misread.

Re: [nesta] Comments with Disqus

>     %script(type="text/javascript" src="
> http://disqus.com/forums/#{short_name}/embed.js")
>     %noscript
>       %a(href="http://disqus.com/forums/#{short_name}/?url=ref") View
> comments.

I tried changing == :development to == :production but that produced no
effect. Is there any other place I should tweak? Config.yml?

/ James

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 6:05 PM, Graham Ashton <graham@effectif.com> wrote:

> On 26 Dec 2011, at 15:44, James Abbott <abbottjam@gmail.com> wrote:
> Am I missing something?
> try that again…
> Check whether your web page has any HTML in it that is contained in the
> comments HAML file. There'll be an if statement wrapped around it, that
> will put a tag on the page for disqus to attach to on load.
> I wonder whether your environment (i.e. production) is being setup
> correctly? That might lead to the config being misread.

Re: [nesta] Comments with Disqus

Graham Ashton
2011-12-26 @ 20:54
On 26 Dec 2011, at 18:52, James Abbott wrote:

> I tried changing == :development to == :production but that produced no
effect. Is there any other place I should tweak? Config.yml?

The disqus_short_name method will pull your Disqus details from an
environment specific section of config.yml, so what I was thinking was
that the environment might not be configured to "production" on your
server, which would cause the first if statement to return false, and all
the HTML to be hidden.

Re: [nesta] Comments with Disqus

Wynn Netherland
2011-12-26 @ 20:58
Try removing the env conditional altogether? I think env values are
strings, not symbols, though sometimes both work.

Pecked on my mobile keyboard,

-- Wynn

>     %script(type="text/javascript" src="
> http://disqus.com/forums/#{short_name}/embed.js")
>     %noscript
>       %a(href="http://disqus.com/forums/#{short_name}/?url=ref") View
> comments.

I tried changing == :development to == :production but that produced no
effect. Is there any other place I should tweak? Config.yml?

/ James

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 6:05 PM, Graham Ashton <graham@effectif.com> wrote:

> On 26 Dec 2011, at 15:44, James Abbott <abbottjam@gmail.com> wrote:
> Am I missing something?
> try that again…
> Check whether your web page has any HTML in it that is contained in the
> comments HAML file. There'll be an if statement wrapped around it, that
> will put a tag on the page for disqus to attach to on load.
> I wonder whether your environment (i.e. production) is being setup
> correctly? That might lead to the config being misread.

Re: [nesta] Comments with Disqus

James Abbott
2011-12-27 @ 09:29
Argggh. YAML indentation fault. I had everything configured correctly
except that my discus_short_name property was indented two spaces into the
file.

These indentation-sensitive languages have a way of tricking you into
thinking you've done everything right, and then... busted!

Thanks for the responses guys,

James

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 9:58 PM, Wynn Netherland
<wynn.netherland@gmail.com>wrote:

> Try removing the env conditional altogether? I think env values are
> strings, not symbols, though sometimes both work.
> Pecked on my mobile keyboard,
> -- Wynn
> On Dec 26, 2011, at 12:52 PM, James Abbott <abbottjam@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the tip Graham. No, the HTML output doesn't contain any markup
> pertaining to comments - it's the page metadata and then the page footer
> ends.
> Here's my comments.haml:
> - if short_name = Nesta::Config.disqus_short_name
>>   #disqus_thread
>>     - if Sinatra::Application.environment == :development
>>       %script(type="text/javascript")
>>         var disqus_developer = true;
>>     %script(type="text/javascript" src="
>> http://disqus.com/forums/#{short_name}/embed.js")
>>     %noscript
>>       %a(href="http://disqus.com/forums/#{short_name}/?url=ref") View
>> comments.
> I tried changing == :development to == :production but that produced no
> effect. Is there any other place I should tweak? Config.yml?
> / James
> On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 6:05 PM, Graham Ashton <graham@effectif.com>wrote:
>> On 26 Dec 2011, at 15:44, James Abbott <abbottjam@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Am I missing something?
>> That's why you shouldn't wave your iPhone about while replying to emails. Let's
>> try that again…
>> Check whether your web page has any HTML in it that is contained in the
>> comments HAML file. There'll be an if statement wrapped around it, that
>> will put a tag on the page for disqus to attach to on load.
>> I wonder whether your environment (i.e. production) is being setup
>> correctly? That might lead to the config being misread.

Re: [nesta] Comments with Disqus

Graham Ashton
2011-12-26 @ 17:01
On 26 Dec 2011, at 15:44, James Abbott <abbottjam@gmail.com> wrote:

> Am I missing something?

Check whether your web page has any HTML in it that is contained in the
comments HAML file. There'll be an if statement wrapped around it, that
will put a tag on the page for disqus to attach to