librelist archives

« back to archive

Admin panel

Admin panel

From:
Date:
2011-10-11 @ 22:54
Hello,
I'm considering Nesta CMS for blogging (on Heroku). Everything looks fine 
when I'm @home, but what if I leave for some time to somewhere where I 
have not my PC with all those needed stuff like GIT, favourite text editor
etc.. what if I'm stucked only with web browser? Or what if I would like 
to implement publish-article-by-mail?

It's nice idea to publish by git commiting but sometimes it's good to have
simple frontend. Some times ago I tried 
https://github.com/adamwiggins/scanty which works above sqlite db and have
simple admin area.

Hmm so what is the question? :) Is there any possibility to write article 
just with web browser? (thru GitHub?)

BTW I'm casual programmer so I like to extend (bend) things, that's why I 
don't want to use Thumbrl.

Thanks for any idea.

Re: [nesta] Admin panel

From:
Graham Ashton
Date:
2011-10-12 @ 07:35
On 11 Oct 2011, at 23:54, <foopy@centrum.cz> wrote:

> I'm considering Nesta CMS for blogging (on Heroku). Everything looks 
fine when I'm @home, but what if I leave for some time to somewhere where 
I have not my PC with all those needed stuff like GIT, favourite text 
editor etc.. what if I'm stucked only with web browser? Or what if I would
like to implement publish-article-by-mail?

I think you'd need to implement article-by-email as a plugin. It'd be 
tricky to do on Heroku (you could receive email with the sendgrid addon) 
as you wouldn't be able to write a new file into your content folder (it's
a read only file system). I think we'd need a database backed version of 
Nesta (i.e. a plugin) to support it on Heroku, unless you could get away 
with putting your content inside ./tmp (which is writeable).

If you're hosting Nesta on your own machine then creating an 
article-by-email plugin would be fairly easy (and I think I'd use sendgrid
to post the contents of the email to Nesta, rather than fiddling around 
with SMTP servers).

To think about your wider problem, it's an interesting one. I think 
there's scope here for some creative solutions.

Firstly, you could just build an admin UI. One is already in the works (I 
must give it a go).

  https://github.com/elitheeli/nestadmin

Other interesting approaches for publishing to Heroku without CLI access 
have been thrown around.

Cloud9 (http://c9.io/) might be able to deploy Ruby to Heroku. Here's a 
video of how it works for node:

http://cloud9ide.posterous.com/introducing-heroku-support

> Hmm so what is the question? :) Is there any possibility to write 
article just with web browser? (thru GitHub?)

As you suggest, you can use GitHub to edit content in the browser and 
commit to your repo. In theory you could write a post-commit hook that 
could trigger an event on another service. That service would then need to
pull changes from your GitHub repo and deploy. If your site is self hosted
this would be easy to implement. If your site runs on Heroku it's harder, 
as you'd need a web app running on a non-heroku server to pull the GitHub 
repo and then push to Heroku (write access to the filesystem is required 
[1]).

[1] 
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3324586/push-from-github-to-heroku-without-downloading-repo

You'd also have to arrange for appropriate public keys to be available to 
the git command.

> It's nice idea to publish by git commiting but sometimes it's good to 
have simple frontend.

Nesta doesn't know anything about Git; all you need to do is put files on 
the filesystem.

> BTW I'm casual programmer so I like to extend (bend) things, that's why 
I don't want to use Thumbrl.

I'd love to know if Cloud9 works. Has anybody tried it?

If not, and you want to try and solve it, I'd try and plug together some 
kind of GitHub post-commit thing...

Re: [nesta] Admin panel

From:
Date:
2011-10-17 @ 19:53
______________________________________________________________
> Od: "Graham Ashton" <graham@effectif.com>
> Komu: <nesta@librelist.com>
> Datum: 12.10.2011 09:35
> Předmět: Re: [nesta] Admin panel
>
>On 11 Oct 2011, at 23:54, <foopy@centrum.cz> wrote:
>
>> I'm considering Nesta CMS for blogging (on Heroku). Everything looks 
fine when I'm @home, but what if I leave for some time to somewhere where 
I have not my PC with all those needed stuff like GIT, favourite text 
editor etc.. what if I'm stucked only with web browser? Or what if I would
like to implement publish-article-by-mail?
>
>I think you'd need to implement article-by-email as a plugin. It'd be 
tricky to do on Heroku (you could receive email with the sendgrid addon) 
as you wouldn't be able to write a new file into your content folder (it's
a read only file system). I think we'd need a database backed version of 
Nesta (i.e. a plugin) to support it on Heroku, unless you could get away 
with putting your content inside ./tmp (which is writeable).
>If you're hosting Nesta on your own machine then creating an 
article-by-email plugin would be fairly easy (and I think I'd use sendgrid
to post the contents of the email to Nesta, rather than fiddling around 
with SMTP servers).

Yep, I leave it now, it was an unnecessary idea (but Questions gives Answers). 
+1 for database backed version of Nesta. 
One Q: how can Scanty work on Heroku which is read-only? It uses sqlite 
which is file-based db (can be loaded to memory AFAIK).




>To think about your wider problem, it's an interesting one. I think 
there's scope here for some creative solutions.
>
>Firstly, you could just build an admin UI. One is already in the works (I
must give it a go).
>
>  https://github.com/elitheeli/nestadmin

Yes I can if I had my own server.


>Other interesting approaches for publishing to Heroku without CLI access 
have been thrown around.
>
>Cloud9 (http://c9.io/) might be able to deploy Ruby to Heroku. Here's a 
video of how it works for node:
>
>http://cloud9ide.posterous.com/introducing-heroku-support

That's it! I did not figure out how to deploy thru GUI, but git commands 
works. So add, commit then PUSH and work is over ;) Thanks for that.



>> Hmm so what is the question? :) Is there any possibility to write 
article just with web browser? (thru GitHub?)
>
>As you suggest, you can use GitHub to edit content in the browser and 
commit to your repo. In theory you could write a post-commit hook that 
could trigger an event on another service. That service would then need to
pull changes from your GitHub repo and deploy. If your site is self hosted
this would be easy to implement. If your site runs on Heroku it's harder, 
as you'd need a web app running on a non-heroku server to pull the GitHub 
repo and then push to Heroku (write access to the filesystem is required 
[1]).
>
>[1] 
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3324586/push-from-github-to-heroku-without-downloading-repo
>
>You'd also have to arrange for appropriate public keys to be available to
the git command.

Thanks for the links, but it would be "too much work" only because I want 
to use Nesta.



>> It's nice idea to publish by git commiting but sometimes it's good to 
have simple frontend.
>
>Nesta doesn't know anything about Git; all you need to do is put files on
the filesystem.

You are right, my apologies.



>> BTW I'm casual programmer so I like to extend (bend) things, that's why
I don't want to use Thumbrl.
>
>I'd love to know if Cloud9 works. Has anybody tried it?
>
>If not, and you want to try and solve it, I'd try and plug together some 
kind of GitHub post-commit thing...
>

Re: [nesta] Admin panel

From:
Glenn Gillen
Date:
2011-10-17 @ 20:37
> One Q: how can Scanty work on Heroku which is read-only? It uses sqlite 
which is file-based db (can be loaded to memory AFAIK).

You can with a little bit of tweaking get SQLite to work on Heroku. 
Unfortunately it's file/memory based as you mentioned. That means:

- if you run a 2nd dyno each will serve different content (different disks
and memory)
- if your dyno idles you run the risk of losing any non-checked-in data

G