Deployment to Heroku

Deployment to Heroku

Tony Spore
2010-07-18 @ 20:48
Can someone let me know what setting's I'm missing for Heroku?
I followed -

But am guessing that the setting need to be:

production:

What does:

$ heroku logs

...give you?

Cheers,
Steven

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 9:48 PM, Tony Spore <tony@allplaces.net> wrote:

> Can someone let me know what setting's I'm missing for Heroku?
> I followed -
> http://effectif.com/nesta/deployment/heroku
> But am guessing that the setting need to be:
> production:
>   cache: true
>   content: content
>   google_analytics_code:
> However all I see is:
> Heroku | App failed to respond
> Thanks!

Tony Spore
2010-07-18 @ 21:09
I was looking at those -
for logs I attached the log.txt file
NoMethodError - undefined method `abspath' for nil:NilClass:

heroku info -
Web URL:        http://tspore.heroku.com/
Git Repo:       git@heroku.com:tspore.git
Dynos:          1
Workers:        0
Repo size:      5M
Slug size:      5M
Stack:          bamboo-ree-1.8.7
Data size:      0K in 0 table
Owner:          tonyspore@mac.com

heroku config -
NESTA_CACHE                 => true
NESTA_CONTENT               => content
NESTA_DESCRIPTION           => Tony Spore's per... am involved in.
NESTA_DISQUS_SHORT_NAME     => tspore
NESTA_GOOGLE_ANALYTICS_CODE => UA-12739063-1
NESTA_SUBTITLE              => A Black & White ...y Things in Life
NESTA_TITLE                 => tspore.com
RACK_ENV                    => production

it runs under shotgun with no problem. I also had it running in parallels
before.  (But I upgraded to the latest version of nesta- and thought that
Heroku would be a much better deployment.)

On Jul 18, 2010, at 1:53 PM, steven shingler wrote:

> Hey Tony,
> What does:
> $ heroku logs
> ...give you?
> Cheers,
> Steven
> On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 9:48 PM, Tony Spore <tony@allplaces.net> wrote:
> Can someone let me know what setting's I'm missing for Heroku?
> I followed -

2010-07-18 @ 21:53
On 18 Jul 2010, at 22:09, Tony Spore wrote:

> heroku config -
> NESTA_CACHE                 => true

That's a problem. Caching needs to be turned off for Heroku. Nesta's
caching behaviour is currently "write to a .html file in ./public" which
you can't do on Heroku as it's illegal to write to their file system.

I think this is my fault for not explicitly documenting that you need to
disable caching on Heroku (it's off by default, and the docs say "works
out of the box", but I now see that's not quite the same thing!).

The caching behaviour is the next thing I'll be working on, so that we can
take proper advantage of Heroku's proxy cache support.

There's an ticket that I've been using to collect various people's
thoughts on the subject here:

I've also just had a rather interesting pull request from somebody this
weekend that may sort a lot of this out (I've just not had a chance to go
through it yet).

So to fix your problem, I think you just need to set caching to false in
config.yml, re-run `rake heroku:config` and then restart your app servers
with `heroku restart`.

> NoMethodError - undefined method `abspath' for nil:NilClass

I'm not convinced that the caching caused this particular error, but I
wouldn't be surprised. Try again having disabled the caching and let us
know what happens.

Cheers,
Graham

Tony Spore
2010-07-19 @ 04:00
I really appreciate the quick feedback guys - But here is what I'm getting now -
^CTsMbp:Blog tspore$ heroku config
NESTA_CONTENT               => content
NESTA_DESCRIPTION           => Tony Spore's per... am involved in.
NESTA_DISQUS_SHORT_NAME     => tspore
Slug size:      5M
Stack:          bamboo-ree-1.8.7
Data size:      0K in 0 table
Owner:          tonyspore@mac.com

I don't see anything anymore about CACHE - I did change the setting delete
the heroku deploy etc.
but its still not working

Graham Ashton
2010-07-19 @ 05:26
On 19 Jul 2010, at 05:00, Tony Spore wrote:

> I really appreciate the quick feedback guys - But here is what I'm
getting now -
> ^CTsMbp:Blog tspore$ heroku config
> NESTA_CONTENT               => content
> NESTA_DESCRIPTION           => Tony Spore's per... am involved in.
> NESTA_DISQUS_SHORT_NAME     => tspore
> NESTA_GOOGLE_ANALYTICS_CODE => UA-12739063-1
> NESTA_SUBTITLE              => A Black & White ...y Things in Life
> NESTA_TITLE                 => tspore.com
> RACK_ENV                    => production

If you invite me as a collaborator to your Heroku account I'll take a look
(you can remove me afterwards).

It's very weird that NESTA_CACHE has disappeared from view...

Tony Spore
2010-07-19 @ 15:39
Sure thing. I really don't mind that at all, I sent in a support ticket,
to see if they have any info -
(I don't know if you can see it, but I added you as a contributor on the project.)

Anyhow, I really appreciate the help.
-Tony
On Jul 18, 2010, at 10:26 PM, Graham Ashton wrote:

> On 19 Jul 2010, at 05:00, Tony Spore wrote:
>> I really appreciate the quick feedback guys - But here is what I'm
getting now -
>> ^CTsMbp:Blog tspore$ heroku config
>> NESTA_CONTENT               => content
>> NESTA_DESCRIPTION           => Tony Spore's per... am involved in.
>> NESTA_DISQUS_SHORT_NAME     => tspore
>> NESTA_GOOGLE_ANALYTICS_CODE => UA-12739063-1
>> NESTA_SUBTITLE              => A Black & White ...y Things in Life
>> NESTA_TITLE                 => tspore.com
>> RACK_ENV                    => production
> If you invite me as a collaborator to your Heroku account I'll take a
look (you can remove me afterwards).
> It's very weird that NESTA_CACHE has disappeared from view...

Graham Ashton
2010-07-23 @ 09:20
On 19 Jul 2010, at 16:39, Tony Spore wrote:

> Sure thing. I really don't mind that at all, I sent in a support ticket,
to see if they have any info -
> http://support.heroku.com/requests/10598
> (I don't know if you can see it, but I added you as a contributor on the
project.)

I've just taken a look, and it was the menu.txt file. I'm guessing you
have a Mac (on which the filesystem is case insensitive) which would
explain why it worked locally?

You had a couple of entries in menu.txt (Rails3 and Modx) whose case
didn't match the corresponding .mdown files in content/pages. I changed
Rails3 to rails3, redeployed, and it still didn't work, so I thought "sod
this, it needs patching!".

So I've committed a patch straight into your github repo, and your site is
up, but that the ModX page isn't in the menu as the case doesn't match. If
you correct the menu.txt file, redeploy, and ModX should appear.

Thanks for reporting it. I'll pull that patch over to the master branch
now so that the rest of us don't get bitten by the same thing.

Cheers,
Graham

Tony Spore
2010-07-23 @ 21:28
I just forked, added in the content, I changed the files to match the
menu.txt, and then deployed as you suggested, but no go -

So it looks like I still screwed up something. I guess the best thing is
to wait till you post the patch, which I don't see on git hub yet.

-Tony

On Jul 23, 2010, at 2:20 AM, Graham Ashton wrote:

> On 19 Jul 2010, at 16:39, Tony Spore wrote:
>> Sure thing. I really don't mind that at all, I sent in a support
ticket, to see if they have any info -
>> http://support.heroku.com/requests/10598
>> (I don't know if you can see it, but I added you as a contributor on
the project.)
> I've just taken a look, and it was the menu.txt file. I'm guessing you
have a Mac (on which the filesystem is case insensitive) which would
explain why it worked locally?
> You had a couple of entries in menu.txt (Rails3 and Modx) whose case
didn't match the corresponding .mdown files in content/pages. I changed
Rails3 to rails3, redeployed, and it still didn't work, so I thought "sod
this, it needs patching!".
> So I've committed a patch straight into your github repo, and your site
is up, but that the ModX page isn't in the menu as the case doesn't match.
If you correct the menu.txt file, redeploy, and ModX should appear.
> Thanks for reporting it. I'll pull that patch over to the master branch
now so that the rest of us don't get bitten by the same thing.
> Cheers,
> Graham

Graham Ashton
2010-07-23 @ 21:58
On 23 Jul 2010, at 22:28, Tony Spore wrote:

> I just forked, added in the content, I changed the files to match the
menu.txt, and then deployed as you suggested, but no go -
> http://github.com/tspore/nesta

I don't see a rails3.mdown in content/pages, but it's mentioned in
menu.txt. There may be other problems, it wasn't an exhaustive check.

> So it looks like I still screwed up something. I guess the best thing is
to wait till you post the patch, which I don't see on git hub yet.

A bunged a todo on my todo list and went to the pub. I had committed the
patch your heroku repo though, and deployed it.

Could you just use that?

Graham

Tony Spore
2010-07-23 @ 13:50
Great, Thanks Graham for taking the time to help me with this.
I see the issue now.
I took the family out to our Cabin for a long weekend, where as I'm on
dialup so I will try try and get it updated, But thank you very much for
this help. It was very kind of you.
-Tony
On Jul 23, 2010, at 2:20 AM, Graham Ashton wrote:

> On 19 Jul 2010, at 16:39, Tony Spore wrote:
>> Sure thing. I really don't mind that at all, I sent in a support
ticket, to see if they have any info -
>> http://support.heroku.com/requests/10598
>> (I don't know if you can see it, but I added you as a contributor on
the project.)
> I've just taken a look, and it was the menu.txt file. I'm guessing you
have a Mac (on which the filesystem is case insensitive) which would
explain why it worked locally?
> You had a couple of entries in menu.txt (Rails3 and Modx) whose case
didn't match the corresponding .mdown files in content/pages. I changed
Rails3 to rails3, redeployed, and it still didn't work, so I thought "sod
this, it needs patching!".
> So I've committed a patch straight into your github repo, and your site
is up, but that the ModX page isn't in the menu as the case doesn't match.
If you correct the menu.txt file, redeploy, and ModX should appear.
> Thanks for reporting it. I'll pull that patch over to the master branch
now so that the rest of us don't get bitten by the same thing.
> Cheers,
> Graham

Tony Spore
2010-07-23 @ 21:58
Ok never mind, after I uploaded it to git hub, I found the files which
were lowercase. Really though on my mac, it all looked the same. I don't
get it at all. Anyhow, now it seems to work. On heroku its not detecting
my custom theme. Is that common, if so I can just move it all over.

On Jul 23, 2010, at 2:20 AM, Graham Ashton wrote:

> On 19 Jul 2010, at 16:39, Tony Spore wrote:
>> Sure thing. I really don't mind that at all, I sent in a support
ticket, to see if they have any info -
>> http://support.heroku.com/requests/10598
>> (I don't know if you can see it, but I added you as a contributor on
the project.)
> I've just taken a look, and it was the menu.txt file. I'm guessing you
have a Mac (on which the filesystem is case insensitive) which would
explain why it worked locally?
> You had a couple of entries in menu.txt (Rails3 and Modx) whose case
didn't match the corresponding .mdown files in content/pages. I changed
Rails3 to rails3, redeployed, and it still didn't work, so I thought "sod
this, it needs patching!".
> So I've committed a patch straight into your github repo, and your site
is up, but that the ModX page isn't in the menu as the case doesn't match.
If you correct the menu.txt file, redeploy, and ModX should appear.
> Thanks for reporting it. I'll pull that patch over to the master branch
now so that the rest of us don't get bitten by the same thing.
> Cheers,
> Graham

Graham Ashton
2010-07-23 @ 21:59
On 23 Jul 2010, at 22:58, Tony Spore wrote:

> On heroku its not detecting my custom theme. Is that common, if so I can
just move it all over.

No, that should just work really. You'll need `heroku config` to have
NESTA_THEME set to the correct one, and you'll need to have committed the
theme to your repo. That's all you need to do though.

Graham Ashton
2010-07-18 @ 21:01
On 18 Jul 2010, at 21:53, steven shingler wrote:

> What does:
> $ heroku logs
> ...give you?

Good question; always the first port of call.

Tony - It'd also be worth posting the output of these two commands to the list:

$ heroku info
$ heroku config

The config variables that are printed by `heroku config` are set from what
you've entered into config.yml when you type `rake heroku:config`.

Here's what I get for a quick test site that I setup when I was writing the docs:

$ heroku info
Data size:      0K in 0 table
Owner:          graham@effectif.com

$ heroku config
NESTA_CACHE                 => false
NESTA_CONTENT               => content
NESTA_GOOGLE_ANALYTICS_CODE => UA-???????-?
NESTA_SUBTITLE              => Well that was easy.
NESTA_THEME                 => penguinclassics