librelist archives

« back to archive

Git2 Command Line utility

Git2 Command Line utility

From:
Sniffles
Date:
2012-02-15 @ 08:23
Hey All,

 

After some of the comments from my last posting (which I got the impression
didn't go down to well with most of you) I've decided to start a
command-line utility project called 'git2' which will essentially process
the command line and call the respective libgit2 api functions. try and get
it as close to the git tool as poss. (well that's the plan anyway hehe). And
I also want to make it daemon'able later on as well.

 

I don't envision it being too fancy at this stage - just get something
working and then worry about fleshing it out later on.

 

I've got some initial boiler plate code written up (in a VS2010 project).
bare bones - no docs, no nothing except code

 

At the moment it's able to spit out a version number and build a repo.

 

When I get time this week/weekend I'll setup a repo called git2 on github
and put code up for anyone who wants to use/play with/add too. I'll set up a
separate mailing list as well.

 

No general plan for it except to start adding the command switches etc. and
hooking these up to the respective library calls. along with relevant
environment processing etc.

 

If someone wants to look at getting it CMake'able then that would be cool -
I've never used CMake before. (I'm a windows coder.) Making it linux
compile-able isn't on my list of things to do - so someone keen will have to
step in there.

 

Anyways. Let me know if you are interested in helping/contributing etc.

 

Thanks, David.

Re: [libgit2] Git2 Command Line utility

From:
Matthieu Moy
Date:
2012-02-15 @ 08:37
"Sniffles" <sniffles@xnet.co.nz> writes:

> Hey All,
>
> After some of the comments from my last posting (which I got the
> impression didn’t go down to well with most of you) I’ve decided to
> start a command-line utility project called ‘git2’ which will
> essentially process the command line and call the respective libgit2
> api functions… try and get it as close to the git tool as poss… (well
> that’s the plan anyway hehe)… And I also want to make it daemon’able
> later on as well…

There is already a prototype doing this:

  https://github.com/Romain-Geissler/git2

I'm Cc-ing the authors.

This git2 was essentially a way to run the Git testsuite on libgit2. It
uses the libgit2 API as much as possible, but falls back on the original
git as a command-line tool as needed (i.e. rather often for now). A long
term goal could be to eliminate these fall backs to git.

This was originally a school project which I supervised (in Cc are the 4
students participating in it). The project is stalled now, but new
contributors/maintainers are welcome.

> I don’t envision it being too fancy at this stage – just get something 
working and then worry about fleshing it out later on…
>
> I’ve got some initial boiler plate code written up (in a VS2010 
project)… bare bones – no docs, no nothing except code
>
> At the moment it’s able to spit out a version number and build a repo…
>
> When I get time this week/weekend I’ll setup a repo called git2 on 
github and put code up for anyone who wants to use/play with/add too… I’ll
set up a separate
> mailing list as well…
>
> No general plan for it except to start adding the command switches etc… 
and hooking these up to the respective library calls… along with relevant 
environment
> processing etc…
>
> If someone wants to look at getting it CMake’able then that would be 
cool – I’ve never used CMake before… (I’m a windows coder…) Making it 
linux compile-able
> isn’t on my list of things to do – so someone keen will have to step in there…
>
> Anyways… Let me know if you are interested in helping/contributing etc…
>
> Thanks, David.
>

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/