librelist archives

« back to archive

problem building a rails 2.3.5 app using integrity v0.3.1

problem building a rails 2.3.5 app using integrity v0.3.1

From:
Alberto Perdomo
Date:
2010-03-11 @ 16:08
Hi,

i am running integrity v.0.3.1 and have setup a project for a rails 2.3.5
app.
Running the ci task locally in the terminal works ok but when i run the
build within integrity it tells me:

"Missing rails 2.3.5 gem..."

The gem is installed and everything works fine in the terminal. Does it have
anything to do with bundler perhaps?

Do you guys have any clues?

Cheers!
Alberto.

Re: [integrity] problem building a rails 2.3.5 app using integrity v0.3.1

From:
Graham Ashton
Date:
2010-03-11 @ 16:09
On 11 Mar 2010, at 16:08, Alberto Perdomo wrote:

> "Missing rails 2.3.5 gem..."
> 
> The gem is installed and everything works fine in the terminal. Does it 
have anything to do with bundler perhaps?

Have you got `gem "rails", "2.3.5", :require => nil` in your Gemfile?

Re: [integrity] problem building a rails 2.3.5 app using integrity v0.3.1

From:
Alberto Perdomo
Date:
2010-03-11 @ 16:12
Hi Graham,

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Graham Ashton <graham@effectif.com> wrote:

> On 11 Mar 2010, at 16:08, Alberto Perdomo wrote:
>
> > "Missing rails 2.3.5 gem..."
> >
> > The gem is installed and everything works fine in the terminal. Does it
> have anything to do with bundler perhaps?
>
> Have you got `gem "rails", "2.3.5", :require => nil` in your Gemfile?
>

You mean in integrity's Gemfile?

Re: [integrity] problem building a rails 2.3.5 app using integrity v0.3.1

From:
Graham Ashton
Date:
2010-03-11 @ 16:19
On 11 Mar 2010, at 16:12, Alberto Perdomo wrote:

> You mean in integrity's Gemfile?

No, I meant in your project's Gemfile.

If you run your tests with a rake task then that's most likely the rake 
task that is raising the error. I don't think you should need to touch 
integrity's Gemfile.

Re: [integrity] problem building a rails 2.3.5 app using integrity v0.3.1

From:
Matt Davies
Date:
2010-03-11 @ 16:20
What's your CI task look like?

On 11 March 2010 16:19, Graham Ashton <graham@effectif.com> wrote:
> On 11 Mar 2010, at 16:12, Alberto Perdomo wrote:
>
>> You mean in integrity's Gemfile?
>
> No, I meant in your project's Gemfile.
>
> If you run your tests with a rake task then that's most likely the rake 
task that is raising the error. I don't think you should need to touch 
integrity's Gemfile.
>

Re: [integrity] problem building a rails 2.3.5 app using integrity v0.3.1

From:
Alberto Perdomo
Date:
2010-03-11 @ 16:31
Hi Matt,

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Matt Davies <tonmatt@gmail.com> wrote:

> What's your CI task look like?


I call the task rake ci:build. The task looks like this:

namespace :ci do
  task :copy_yml do
    system("cp #{Rails.root}/config/example_database.yml
#{Rails.root}/config/database.yml")
  end

  desc "Prepare for CI and run entire test suite"
  task :build => ['ci:copy_yml', 'db:migrate', 'test', 'cucumber:all'] do
  end
end

Re: [integrity] problem building a rails 2.3.5 app using integrity v0.3.1

From:
Alberto Perdomo
Date:
2010-03-11 @ 16:30
Hola,

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Graham Ashton <graham@effectif.com> wrote:

> On 11 Mar 2010, at 16:12, Alberto Perdomo wrote:
>
> > You mean in integrity's Gemfile?
>
> No, I meant in your project's Gemfile.
>

I'm not using bundler for the project. I'm just using bundler to run
integrity. Is that perhaps the cause?


>
> If you run your tests with a rake task then that's most likely the rake
> task that is raising the error. I don't think you should need to touch
> integrity's Gemfile.
>

The rake task works fine when running it from the terminal.

Re: [integrity] problem building a rails 2.3.5 app using integrity v0.3.1

From:
Matt Davies
Date:
2010-03-11 @ 16:43
Use bundler Alberto, it's easier


On 11 Mar 2010, at 16:30, Alberto Perdomo wrote:

> Hola,
> 
> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Graham Ashton <graham@effectif.com> wrote:
> On 11 Mar 2010, at 16:12, Alberto Perdomo wrote:
> 
> > You mean in integrity's Gemfile?
> 
> No, I meant in your project's Gemfile.
> 
> I'm not using bundler for the project. I'm just using bundler to run 
integrity. Is that perhaps the cause?
>  
> 
> If you run your tests with a rake task then that's most likely the rake 
task that is raising the error. I don't think you should need to touch 
integrity's Gemfile.
> 
> The rake task works fine when running it from the terminal.

Re: [integrity] problem building a rails 2.3.5 app using integrity v0.3.1

From:
Alberto Perdomo
Date:
2010-03-11 @ 16:57
On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Matt Davies <mjdavies@glam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Use bundler Alberto, it's easier
>
>
You mean i should switch all the projects i want to run on integrity to
bundler?
Even old projects running older versions of rails etc.? Will that be
possible?

I haven't looked at bundler at all but i've heard there are people having
issues.

Ideally a CI software shouldn't force me to change the way i code or package
the projects. I really want to stop using ccrb and start using integrity ,
if the only way is to start using bundler it's ok but my instinct tells me
to question it.

Re: [integrity] problem building a rails 2.3.5 app using integrity v0.3.1

From:
Joel Chippindale
Date:
2010-03-11 @ 17:06
>
> CI software shouldn't force me to change the way i code or package the
> projects.


Well said. I couldn't agree more.

J.

On 11 March 2010 16:57, Alberto Perdomo <alberto.perdomo@gmail.com> wrote:

>
> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Matt Davies <mjdavies@glam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Use bundler Alberto, it's easier
>>
>>
> You mean i should switch all the projects i want to run on integrity to
> bundler?
> Even old projects running older versions of rails etc.? Will that be
> possible?
>
> I haven't looked at bundler at all but i've heard there are people having
> issues.
>
>  CI software shouldn't force me to change the way i code or package the
> projects. I really want to stop using ccrb and start using integrity , if
> the only way is to start using bundler it's ok but my instinct tells me to
> question it.
>
>
>
>

Re: [integrity] problem building a rails 2.3.5 app using integrity v0.3.1

From:
Matt Davies
Date:
2010-03-11 @ 19:24
agreed, ci software shouldn't force you to change the way you code or  
package the projects, integrity isn't doing that though

rails3 will though

rails3 is going to use bundler by default, it's a far better way of  
managing your gems

bundler is going through some pretty big changes at the moment, I've  
been using it since version 0.7, so I know about the problems

my advice, for what it's worth, is to embrace bundler and learn how to  
use it

v




On 11 Mar 2010, at 17:06, Joel Chippindale wrote:

> CI software shouldn't force me to change the way i code or package  
> the projects.
>
> Well said. I couldn't agree more.
>
> J.
>
> On 11 March 2010 16:57, Alberto Perdomo <alberto.perdomo@gmail.com>  
> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Matt Davies <mjdavies@glam.ac.uk>  
> wrote:
> Use bundler Alberto, it's easier
>
>
> You mean i should switch all the projects i want to run on integrity  
> to bundler?
> Even old projects running older versions of rails etc.? Will that be  
> possible?
>
> I haven't looked at bundler at all but i've heard there are people  
> having issues.
>
>  CI software shouldn't force me to change the way i code or package  
> the projects. I really want to stop using ccrb and start using  
> integrity , if the only way is to start using bundler it's ok but my  
> instinct tells me to question it.
>
>
>
>

Re: [integrity] problem building a rails 2.3.5 app using integrity v0.3.1

From:
Matt Davies
Date:
2010-03-11 @ 19:42
rvm is also some pretty good shit man :-)

Re: [integrity] problem building a rails 2.3.5 app using integrity v0.3.1

From:
Joel Chippindale
Date:
2010-03-11 @ 16:52
Many people have encountered something similar to this see
http://github.com/integrity/integrity/issues#issue/27, and perhaps this
another case.

This can happen because the bundler which modifies both the PATH and
RUBYOPT environment variables and can cause problems with your builds.

There is a patch linked to from the issue http://gist.github.com/273075 how
this is probably both out of date for the latest version of integrity so may
need some tweaking to get to work with

Given how common this problem is it would be great if one of these patches
were merged into integrity soon.

J.


On 11 March 2010 16:43, Matt Davies <mjdavies@glam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Use bundler Alberto, it's easier
>
>
> On 11 Mar 2010, at 16:30, Alberto Perdomo wrote:
>
> > Hola,
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Graham Ashton <graham@effectif.com>
> wrote:
> > On 11 Mar 2010, at 16:12, Alberto Perdomo wrote:
> >
> > > You mean in integrity's Gemfile?
> >
> > No, I meant in your project's Gemfile.
> >
> > I'm not using bundler for the project. I'm just using bundler to run
> integrity. Is that perhaps the cause?
> >
> >
> > If you run your tests with a rake task then that's most likely the rake
> task that is raising the error. I don't think you should need to touch
> integrity's Gemfile.
> >
> > The rake task works fine when running it from the terminal.
>
>