librelist archives

« back to archive

Fwd: [ILUG-Cochin.org] Windows SDK Programming under Linux

Fwd: [ILUG-Cochin.org] Windows SDK Programming under Linux

From:
Bobinson K B
Date:
2014-04-23 @ 07:10
​Just realized that I was under moderation from 2010 or so. The e-mails I
had sent under this topic never made it to the archives here: ​
https://www.mail-archive.com/mailinglist@ilug-cochin.org/msg04406.html

​Keeping record of the same in public archive. ​




Forwarded conversation
Subject: Re: [ILUG-Cochin.org] Windows SDK Programming under Linux
------------------------

From: *Bobinson K B* <bobinson@gmail.com>
Date: 26 June 2010 00:11
To: "This List discusses GNU/Linux & GNU, GPL Software" <
mailinglist@ilug-cochin.org>


I second you Hari ! This attitude will eventually kill FOSS and prevent
anyone adopting it & spreading it. Really sad !


~ bobinson

--
http://freebird.in




On 25 June 2010 23:10, Hari KT <@gmail.com <kthari85@gmail.com>> wrote:

> Hi guys ,
>
> I was going through your mails . I don't know why you blamed Praseed Pai
> :) .
>
> I feel he is trying to move guys who are working mainly on Windows
> environment to Linux too . First let them try GNU / Linux and feel it .
>
> Before they start something like this , you started firing him :) ( I know
> you were not firing though ) .
>
> According to the Free Software Movement, what I know is not talking about
> the price . Its talking mainly of the code , freedom to use and all ...
>
> According to my knowledge how may companies and employees knows the
> licence agreement of these ? Some are not licensed to use for commercial
> purposes . Do you all follow the rules ?
>
> :) .. I may be wrong too . Forgive me for my lack of knowledge :( .
>
> Anyway I would love to support him .
>
> -----------------------------------------------------
> *Thanks and Regards *
>
> *Hari K T*  [image: icon-twitter.png] <http://twitter.com/harikt>  [image:
> icon-linkedin.png] <http://in.linkedin.com/in/harikt>  [image: 
github.png]<http://github.com/harikt>
> [image: icon-feed.png] <http://harikt.com/blog/feed>  [image:
> facebook.png] <http://www.facebook.com/harikt>
>
> [image: home_bullet_phone.gif]+91-9388-758821
>
> http://harikt.com
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Indian Libre User Group Cochin Mailing List
> http://www.ilug-cochin.org/mailing-list/
> http://mail.ilug-cochin.org/mailman/listinfo/mailinglist_ilug-cochin.org
> #ilugkochi@irc.freenode.net
>





----------
From: *Bobinson K B* <bobinson@gmail.com>
Date: 26 June 2010 20:38
To: "This List discusses GNU/Linux & GNU, GPL Software" <
mailinglist@ilug-cochin.org>


Ok Egos win. FOSS loses. Mea Culpa. I thought this list is for
discussion about Free softwares like Wine, Linux etc.

--

Thanks and Regards,
Bobinson K B




On 26 June 2010 06:07, Sameer <sameer.thahir@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 12:11:38AM +0530, Bobinson K B wrote:
>> I second you Hari ! This attitude will eventually kill FOSS and prevent
>> anyone adopting it & spreading it. Really sad !
>>
> That does not make sense.
> If supporting proprietary software and taking soft stand on it would kill
Free Software better be it.
> I dont think the Free Software Movement ever needed to  be like that.
>>
>> ~ bobinson
>>
>> --
>> http://freebird.in
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> On 25 June 2010 23:10, Hari KT <kthari85@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi guys ,
>> >
>> > I was going through your mails . I don't know why you blamed Praseed
Pai :)
>> > .
>> >
>> > I feel he is trying to move guys who are working mainly on Windows
>> > environment to Linux too . First let them try GNU / Linux and feel it .
>> >
>> > Before they start something like this , you started firing him :) ( I
know
>> > you were not firing though ) .
>> >
>> > According to the Free Software Movement, what I know is not talking
about
>> > the price . Its talking mainly of the code , freedom to use and all ...
>> >
>> > According to my knowledge how may companies and employees knows the
licence
>> > agreement of these ? Some are not licensed to use for commercial
purposes .
>> > Do you all follow the rules ?
>> >
>> > :) .. I may be wrong too . Forgive me for my lack of knowledge :( .
>> >
>> > Anyway I would love to support him .
>> >
>> > -----------------------------------------------------
>> > *Thanks and Regards *
>> >
>> > *Hari K T*  [image: icon-twitter.png] <http://twitter.com/harikt>
 [image:
>> > icon-linkedin.png] <http://in.linkedin.com/in/harikt>  [image:
github.png]<http://github.com/harikt>
>> > [image: icon-feed.png] <http://harikt.com/blog/feed>  [image:
>> > facebook.png] <http://www.facebook.com/harikt>

----------
From: *Bobinson K B* <bobinson@gmail.com>
Date: 26 June 2010 21:00
To: "This List discusses GNU/Linux & GNU, GPL Software" <
mailinglist@ilug-cochin.org>


one more post, I feel really sorry to see all this.  We just need to
me more open, free and practical folks. Or free software initiative
which is not commercial in nature will die.


How many people are using phones with GPLed  OSes ? What about the
BIOS & FirmWare in various hardware that we use ? What about the micro
controller logic in them ?  Image formats - how many people use Open
Image formats ? How many are there who watch DVDs or DiVx files ? How
many are there who listen to MP3s ?

When there is no choice, people listen to MP3s and they buy other
cheap alternatives opposed to OpenMoko. The case is same with many or
all non-FOSS users.  They have to educated and shown stable,
productive options. The need for interaction between industry is
required to understand productivity and stability required in an
environment. There may be scenarios in which like above a combination
of multiple products has to be used. I can't buy any GPLed phone right
now because I don't have the money to do that. The same will be case
with many out here.  I don't understand why we are loosing the
practical mind set when talking about real life scenarios.

To help masses adopt FOSS not only the technology should stabilize,
which is now, the FOSS community should not behave in non-practical
ways like this because if it continues like many instances we have
seen already, MNCs and parties will hijack more and more resources
from the community.