Re: [homebrew] Fwd: Github Homebrew - update ldns and Unbound
- Samuel John
- 2012-06-18 @ 19:54
I am still quite new to Homebrew, too and I already opened some pull requests.
So first: Welcome to Homebrew :-)
You have done a good job!
Two further things to do and you are almost perfect:
- You should make a branch for each of the formulae.
- When you have done so, there is the "Pull request" button on the
Then people much more talented than I, will comment on your code and
eventually let it into homebrew (or reject it)
To do the branch, you should roughly follow these steps:
- Copy your versions of the two formulae to another save place (every
changes you did)
- Reset your homebrew ``cd `brew --prefix`` followed by `git reset --hard HEAD`.
- `brew update` to get the latest changes.
- Now `git checkout -b ldns` in order to create a new branch that is
identical to master
- Copy back your first formlae.
- `git add Library/Formula/ldns.rb`
- `git commit`
- Now push to github.com as you have done before.
- On github.com you should see the new branch. Choose that branch.
There should be a pull request button. Enter some useful description.
- Now switch back to the master on your local homebrew repository `git
- Another branch for the second formula `git checkout -b unbound`.
- Copy your unbound.rb to Library/Formula and `git add` it.
- Then push to github and open another pull request.
Hope my instructions are written understandable.
Oh, and when you'll want to change something on that commit, you should
read about `git rebase -i`.
On 18.06.2012, at 19:12, Adam Vandenberg wrote:
> Forwarding to the Homebrew mailing list...
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: Valentin Bud <firstname.lastname@example.org>
> Date: Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 3:02 AM
> Subject: Github Homebrew - update ldns and Unbound
> To: email@example.com
> Hello Adam,
> First of all I would like to say that I am new to Github and I don't
> know if this is the proper way
> of communicating with collaborators of projects hosted on Github. As
> far as I can tell you are a collaborator
> on Homebrew and you have write access to the repository. In the
> Formula Cookbook it says to contact a collaborator
> about the new/modified formula so it can be merged in.
> I am also new to Homebrew. I will tell what I have done to update ldns
> and Unbound. I have simply edited the
> /usr/local/Library/Formula/*.rb files and change the URL and hash to
> point to the new versions. I don't know if
> this is the proper way but please bare with me here, I am trying to improve :).
> I have forked Homebrew in https://github.com/ingeniare/homebrew and
> pushed back the changes from my local computer.
> Homebrew Formula Cookbook says one commit per formula, one formula per commit.
> I have done one commit for ldns which is the following:
> The commit for Unbound is here:
> Thank you Adam for taking your time in reading my email message.
> Cheers and Goodwill,