librelist archives

« back to archive

Next pre release?

Next pre release?

From:
Fela Winkelmolen
Date:
2010-09-08 @ 05:57
Hi,

We might want to realease pre2 in a few day, I'm writing another
lesson that should be finished soon, I would like that to gets
included, what do you think?

Re: [hacketyhack] Next pre release?

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2010-09-08 @ 06:24
I'd support this. I'd like to develop the site a bit as well. It's been
missing some things that are pretty essential.

Do we want to maybe shoot for next week for a pre2?

Re: [hacketyhack] Next pre release?

From:
Fela Winkelmolen
Date:
2010-09-08 @ 06:43
On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 8:24 AM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com> wrote:
> I'd support this. I'd like to develop the site a bit as well. It's been
> missing some things that are pretty essential.
> Do we want to maybe shoot for next week for a pre2?
Yes, I'm fine with that

Re: [hacketyhack] Next pre release?

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2010-09-20 @ 19:43
Okay, so, last week went by, and I didn't get a chance to finish everything
that I've done. It happens. This week is free and clear.

I think I'm going to target Wednesday for the next release. Far enough away
for me to get done what I need, close enough that it's not too long...


The biggest thing that I'm worrying about for a 1.0 release is the bugs in
Shoes. I feel really, really great about Hackety itself, but I keep fielding
bug reports from users about issues with Shoes. I'm wondering what the best
course of action is regarding this... I think the 1.0 release might have to
be held up until the Shoes rewrite goes through, similar to how Rails 3 was
held up a bit by Bundler. I think it'd be worse to have a poor 1.0
impression than a slightly longer wait. And if I can christen Hackety
'ready,' I can throw all of my efforts back into the Shoes re-write.

The other good thing about this is that we don't necessarily have to wait
until Team Shoes makes a final decision on whichever re-write is best. If I
can help Green Shoes be good enough to run Hackety, we can just release the
standalone Hackety on it (or qtshoes) until Shoes gets up to snuff.

Thoughts?

Re: [hacketyhack] Next pre release?

From:
Peter Fitzgibbons
Date:
2010-09-21 @ 02:06
Tell me more about Green Shoes or qtshoes (links?) and I'll see if I can
wrangle some time for 'em.
You in?

Peter Fitzgibbons
(847) 859-9550
Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com


On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:

> Okay, so, last week went by, and I didn't get a chance to finish everything
> that I've done. It happens. This week is free and clear.
>
> I think I'm going to target Wednesday for the next release. Far enough away
> for me to get done what I need, close enough that it's not too long...
>
>
> The biggest thing that I'm worrying about for a 1.0 release is the bugs in
> Shoes. I feel really, really great about Hackety itself, but I keep fielding
> bug reports from users about issues with Shoes. I'm wondering what the best
> course of action is regarding this... I think the 1.0 release might have to
> be held up until the Shoes rewrite goes through, similar to how Rails 3 was
> held up a bit by Bundler. I think it'd be worse to have a poor 1.0
> impression than a slightly longer wait. And if I can christen Hackety
> 'ready,' I can throw all of my efforts back into the Shoes re-write.
>
> The other good thing about this is that we don't necessarily have to wait
> until Team Shoes makes a final decision on whichever re-write is best. If I
> can help Green Shoes be good enough to run Hackety, we can just release the
> standalone Hackety on it (or qtshoes) until Shoes gets up to snuff.
>
> Thoughts?
>

Re: [hacketyhack] Next pre release?

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2010-09-21 @ 02:11
Basically, we've been discussing re-writing Shoes on top of another GUI
toolkit. Let them worry about the cross-platform stuff, let us worry about
making a great API.

qtshoes is a branch I've been working on to port Shoes to qtruby:

http://librelist.com/browser//shoes/2010/8/24/qt-ruby-branch/

http://github.com/steveklabnik/shoes/tree/qtruby

"Green Shoes" is a Shoes by ashbb, that's trying to replace the C-based
stuff that interacts with cairo and gtk with rcairo and rgtk:

http://librelist.com/browser//shoes/2010/8/25/another-shoes/

http://github.com/ashbb/green_shoes

I think qtshoes is the best choice overall, but since ashbb wants to do
green shoes, I figured consolidating efforts would be better. I don't know
if green shoes works on OSX yet, though.

If either of these things interest you, the help would be awesome.

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 10:06 PM, Peter Fitzgibbons <
peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com> wrote:

> Tell me more about Green Shoes or qtshoes (links?) and I'll see if I can
> wrangle some time for 'em.
> You in?
>
> Peter Fitzgibbons
> (847) 859-9550
> Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
> IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
> IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
>
>
>
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:
>
>> Okay, so, last week went by, and I didn't get a chance to finish
>> everything that I've done. It happens. This week is free and clear.
>>
>> I think I'm going to target Wednesday for the next release. Far enough
>> away for me to get done what I need, close enough that it's not too long...
>>
>>
>> The biggest thing that I'm worrying about for a 1.0 release is the bugs in
>> Shoes. I feel really, really great about Hackety itself, but I keep fielding
>> bug reports from users about issues with Shoes. I'm wondering what the best
>> course of action is regarding this... I think the 1.0 release might have to
>> be held up until the Shoes rewrite goes through, similar to how Rails 3 was
>> held up a bit by Bundler. I think it'd be worse to have a poor 1.0
>> impression than a slightly longer wait. And if I can christen Hackety
>> 'ready,' I can throw all of my efforts back into the Shoes re-write.
>>
>> The other good thing about this is that we don't necessarily have to wait
>> until Team Shoes makes a final decision on whichever re-write is best. If I
>> can help Green Shoes be good enough to run Hackety, we can just release the
>> standalone Hackety on it (or qtshoes) until Shoes gets up to snuff.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>
>

Re: [hacketyhack] Next pre release?

From:
Peter Fitzgibbons
Date:
2010-09-21 @ 02:27
I'm in for qtshoes.  Where to start (issue list?).  I'll take a look at
getting started tomorrow morning.

Peter Fitzgibbons
(847) 859-9550
Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com


On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:

> Basically, we've been discussing re-writing Shoes on top of another GUI
> toolkit. Let them worry about the cross-platform stuff, let us worry about
> making a great API.
>
> qtshoes is a branch I've been working on to port Shoes to qtruby:
>
> http://librelist.com/browser//shoes/2010/8/24/qt-ruby-branch/
>
> http://github.com/steveklabnik/shoes/tree/qtruby
>
> "Green Shoes" is a Shoes by ashbb, that's trying to replace the C-based
> stuff that interacts with cairo and gtk with rcairo and rgtk:
>
> http://librelist.com/browser//shoes/2010/8/25/another-shoes/
>
> http://github.com/ashbb/green_shoes
>
> I think qtshoes is the best choice overall, but since ashbb wants to do
> green shoes, I figured consolidating efforts would be better. I don't know
> if green shoes works on OSX yet, though.
>
> If either of these things interest you, the help would be awesome.
>
>
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 10:06 PM, Peter Fitzgibbons <
> peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Tell me more about Green Shoes or qtshoes (links?) and I'll see if I can
>> wrangle some time for 'em.
>> You in?
>>
>> Peter Fitzgibbons
>> (847) 859-9550
>> Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
>> IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
>> IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
>>
>>
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Okay, so, last week went by, and I didn't get a chance to finish
>>> everything that I've done. It happens. This week is free and clear.
>>>
>>> I think I'm going to target Wednesday for the next release. Far enough
>>> away for me to get done what I need, close enough that it's not too long...
>>>
>>>
>>> The biggest thing that I'm worrying about for a 1.0 release is the bugs
>>> in Shoes. I feel really, really great about Hackety itself, but I keep
>>> fielding bug reports from users about issues with Shoes. I'm wondering what
>>> the best course of action is regarding this... I think the 1.0 release might
>>> have to be held up until the Shoes rewrite goes through, similar to how
>>> Rails 3 was held up a bit by Bundler. I think it'd be worse to have a poor
>>> 1.0 impression than a slightly longer wait. And if I can christen Hackety
>>> 'ready,' I can throw all of my efforts back into the Shoes re-write.
>>>
>>> The other good thing about this is that we don't necessarily have to wait
>>> until Team Shoes makes a final decision on whichever re-write is best. If I
>>> can help Green Shoes be good enough to run Hackety, we can just release the
>>> standalone Hackety on it (or qtshoes) until Shoes gets up to snuff.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>
>>
>

Re: [hacketyhack] Next pre release?

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2010-09-21 @ 02:38
Awesome. :)

Basically, I was just developing by trying to run the sample scripts, seeing
what threw errors or didn't work, and then fixing it.

I _did_ basically completely lay out all of the classes and methods, with
documentation, and make them throw NotImplementedErrors, so... filling out
any of those would be great. The biggest one that I was trying to work on
was getting Flows working.

I'll be lurking in #hacketyhack if you want to talk about it in more
real-time.

Re: [hacketyhack] Next pre release?

From:
Peter Fitzgibbons
Date:
2010-09-21 @ 04:07
Looks like I missed you for the night.
I'll try to get the scripts running.
Maybe I'll catch you on irc tomorrow.

Peter Fitzgibbons
(847) 859-9550
Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com


On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 9:38 PM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:

> Awesome. :)
>
> Basically, I was just developing by trying to run the sample scripts,
> seeing what threw errors or didn't work, and then fixing it.
>
> I _did_ basically completely lay out all of the classes and methods, with
> documentation, and make them throw NotImplementedErrors, so... filling out
> any of those would be great. The biggest one that I was trying to work on
> was getting Flows working.
>
> I'll be lurking in #hacketyhack if you want to talk about it in more
> real-time.
>

Re: [hacketyhack] Next pre release?

From:
Shawn Anderson
Date:
2010-09-21 @ 11:31
Whatever you do, please don't make HH run in X11 on osx. I've never seen an
X app that doesn't look horrible and have strange behavior issues on osx.
A lot, if not most, ruby users (aka teachers of HH) are on a mac, forcing
them to install osx developer tools would be a huge mistake; IMHO.
I have a feeling that HH built on QT will require X11, and that makes me
sad.

just my 2 cents,
Shawn

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 12:07 AM, Peter Fitzgibbons <
peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com> wrote:

> Looks like I missed you for the night.
> I'll try to get the scripts running.
> Maybe I'll catch you on irc tomorrow.
>
> Peter Fitzgibbons
> (847) 859-9550
> Email: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
> IM GTalk: peter.fitzgibbons
> IM AOL: peter.fitzgibbons@gmail.com
>
>
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 9:38 PM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:
>
>> Awesome. :)
>>
>> Basically, I was just developing by trying to run the sample scripts,
>> seeing what threw errors or didn't work, and then fixing it.
>>
>> I _did_ basically completely lay out all of the classes and methods, with
>> documentation, and make them throw NotImplementedErrors, so... filling out
>> any of those would be great. The biggest one that I was trying to work on
>> was getting Flows working.
>>
>> I'll be lurking in #hacketyhack if you want to talk about it in more
>> real-time.
>>
>
>

Re: [hacketyhack] Next pre release?

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2010-09-21 @ 12:55
I'm a lifelong Mac user, and I absolutely agree with you.


> A lot, if not most, ruby users (aka teachers of HH) are on a mac, forcing
> them to install osx developer tools would be a huge mistake; IMHO.
>

Quite true.


> I have a feeling that HH built on QT will require X11, and that makes me
> sad.


The good news is.... it doesn't seem to. I do have X11 installed, but when I
run the GIMP, for example, X11 starts up. When I run qtshoes... no X11.

Re: [hacketyhack] Next pre release?

From:
Shawn Anderson
Date:
2010-09-22 @ 00:13
yay!

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 8:55 AM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:

> I'm a lifelong Mac user, and I absolutely agree with you.
>
>
>> A lot, if not most, ruby users (aka teachers of HH) are on a mac, forcing
>> them to install osx developer tools would be a huge mistake; IMHO.
>>
>
> Quite true.
>
>
>> I have a feeling that HH built on QT will require X11, and that makes me
>> sad.
>
>
> The good news is.... it doesn't seem to. I do have X11 installed, but when
> I run the GIMP, for example, X11 starts up. When I run qtshoes... no X11.
>