main window size

main window size

ashbb
2010-07-19 @ 14:26
Hi all,

I tried to build the latest Hackety Hack (steveklabnik/hacketyhack) with the
latest Shoes (ashbb/shoes) on my Windows XP laptop.

You can download hacketyhack-0.r199.exe from here:

I could build and it worked well except lesson (learn?) tab. I guess it's
not implemented yet.

But,... why was main window width size changed from 575 to 1000?
It's not so convenient at least for my small laptop. :(
If you set window width/height option, user can't resize under the
width/height size.
Because they mean minimum windows size.

Look at this discussion:

Regards,
ashbb

Re: [hacketyhack] main window size

Steve Klabnik
2010-07-19 @ 14:33
Hey ashbbb-

You can download hacketyhack-0.r199.exe from here:
> http://www.rin-shun.com/shoes/index.html

Awesome, thanks!

> I could build and it worked well except lesson (learn?) tab. I guess it's
> not implemented yet.

It's true, it's still being worked on by Fela.

> But,... why was main window width size changed from 575 to 1000?
> It's not so convenient at least for my small laptop. :(

The main reason right now was Try Ruby! Some of the lessons were a bit too
big to fit properly, and I wanted to make sure that they were able to be
read.

I own a 13" MacBook, and it fits on my screen really comfortably... then
again, I have a 1280x800 resolution. If it doesn't fit, we'll have to think
of something... :/

Also, it's going to end up getting fairly wide, because of Lessons...

Re: [hacketyhack] main window size

Данил Хармсыч
2010-07-19 @ 22:33
Take 800px as target number for window width, probably a little less.
The 800x600 is the smallest resolution I heard of and use myself, on
laptops and older desktops, but it is still fairly popular.

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 6:33 PM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com> wrote:
> Hey ashbbb-
>> You can download hacketyhack-0.r199.exe from here:
>> http://www.rin-shun.com/shoes/index.html
> Awesome, thanks!
>> I could build and it worked well except lesson (learn?) tab. I guess it's
>> not implemented yet.
> It's true, it's still being worked on by Fela.
>> But,... why was main window width size changed from 575 to 1000?
>> It's not so convenient at least for my small laptop. :(
> The main reason right now was Try Ruby! Some of the lessons were a bit too
> big to fit properly, and I wanted to make sure that they were able to be
> read.
> I own a 13" MacBook, and it fits on my screen really comfortably... then
> again, I have a 1280x800 resolution. If it doesn't fit, we'll have to think
> of something... :/
> Also, it's going to end up getting fairly wide, because of Lessons...

Re: [hacketyhack] main window size

Devyn Cairns
2010-07-20 @ 07:14
Agreed. 800x600 should be the default target resolution of any modern
application.

Many netbooks now, I've noticed, use 1024x600, so this is at least getting
better, but definitely.

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Данил Хармсыч <mantycore@gmail.com> wrote:

> Take 800px as target number for window width, probably a little less.
> The 800x600 is the smallest resolution I heard of and use myself, on
> laptops and older desktops, but it is still fairly popular.
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 6:33 PM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>
> wrote:
> > Hey ashbbb-
> >>
> >> You can download hacketyhack-0.r199.exe from here:
> >> http://www.rin-shun.com/shoes/index.html
> > Awesome, thanks!
> >>
> >> I could build and it worked well except lesson (learn?) tab. I guess
> it's
> >> not implemented yet.
> > It's true, it's still being worked on by Fela.
> >>
> >> But,... why was main window width size changed from 575 to 1000?
> >> It's not so convenient at least for my small laptop. :(
> > The main reason right now was Try Ruby! Some of the lessons were a bit
> too
> > big to fit properly, and I wanted to make sure that they were able to be
> > read.
> > I own a 13" MacBook, and it fits on my screen really comfortably... then
> > again, I have a 1280x800 resolution. If it doesn't fit, we'll have to
> think
> > of something... :/
> > Also, it's going to end up getting fairly wide, because of Lessons...

~devyn

Re: [hacketyhack] main window size

Steve Klabnik
2010-07-20 @ 13:03
Crazy. I'm glad I have you guys around to tell me this... I haven't used a
screen smaller than 1024x{8,6}00 in years, so I never thought It'd be a
problem.

I'll make sure that gets taken care of.

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 3:14 AM, Devyn Cairns <devyn.cairns@gmail.com>wrote:

> Agreed. 800x600 should be the default target resolution of any modern
> application.
> Many netbooks now, I've noticed, use 1024x600, so this is at least getting
> better, but definitely.

Re: [hacketyhack] main window size

Christopher Redinger
2010-07-20 @ 13:11
I'm not so sure we need to restrict the screen that small. Using browser
trends as a guideline, hardly anybody is browsing at 800x600.

On Jul 20, 2010, at 9:03 AM, Steve Klabnik wrote:

> Crazy. I'm glad I have you guys around to tell me this... I haven't used
a screen smaller than 1024x{8,6}00 in years, so I never thought It'd be a
problem.
> I'll make sure that gets taken care of.
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 3:14 AM, Devyn Cairns <devyn.cairns@gmail.com> wrote:
> Agreed. 800x600 should be the default target resolution of any modern
application.
> Many netbooks now, I've noticed, use 1024x600, so this is at least
getting better, but definitely.

Christopher Redinger
Agile Ruby and Rails Development
(919) 386-9643

Re: [hacketyhack] main window size

Jenna Fox
2010-07-20 @ 13:16
I don't know about you guys, but part of the thing which made me first
start coding when I was tiny was that I had a really rubbish old computer
which couldn't run any good games. Our audience might be people with
rubbish old computers.

On 20/07/2010, at 11:11 PM, Christopher Redinger wrote:

> I'm not so sure we need to restrict the screen that small. Using browser
trends as a guideline, hardly anybody is browsing at 800x600.
> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp
> On Jul 20, 2010, at 9:03 AM, Steve Klabnik wrote:
>> Crazy. I'm glad I have you guys around to tell me this... I haven't
used a screen smaller than 1024x{8,6}00 in years, so I never thought It'd
be a problem.
>> I'll make sure that gets taken care of.
>> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 3:14 AM, Devyn Cairns <devyn.cairns@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Agreed. 800x600 should be the default target resolution of any modern
application.
>> Many netbooks now, I've noticed, use 1024x600, so this is at least
getting better, but definitely.
> Christopher Redinger
> http://agiledisciple.com
> Agile Ruby and Rails Development
> (919) 386-9643

Re: [hacketyhack] main window size

Steve Klabnik
2010-07-20 @ 19:13
This is absolutely true, and something I am concerned about. Obviously, we
want to support as many computers as possible. I'm going to play with it,
and see if stuff fits within 800px... at the same time, if only 1% of people
are using 800px width screens... I don't want to make hackety worse for the
other 99%.

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 9:16 AM, Jenna Fox <a@creativepony.com> wrote:

> I don't know about you guys, but part of the thing which made me first
> start coding when I was tiny was that I had a really rubbish old computer
> which couldn't run any good games. Our audience might be people with rubbish
> old computers.

Re: [hacketyhack] main window size

ashbb
2010-07-21 @ 14:57
Hi all,

Thank you for the discussion.
I tried to sort out Shoes spec for window-resizing.
Look at this commit note:

And try to use the latest Policeman snapshot on my github repo.

I think if you build Hackety Hack with this latest Policeman, you can resize
window smaller as you like. :)

Hope this helps,