librelist archives

« back to archive

What can I do to get people more involved?

What can I do to get people more involved?

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2010-10-22 @ 01:03
Hey guys-

I'm always trying to figure out how to get more people involved with
Hackety, and I think that something I've been doing a bad job at is
transparency. This list hasn't been high traffic, and while I don't know if
I want it to be, exactly, sometimes I feel like it's a bit of a ghost town.

Does anyone have any particular complaints/critiques on this? I think it'll
get a lot better after a 1.0 release, but still.

Re: [hacketyhack] What can I do to get people more involved?

From:
Zachary Scott
Date:
2010-10-24 @ 16:24
I was waiting to see if any of the other members were going to respond to
this first, but since it's been 2 days..

Hackety definitely needs some more community interaction, whether it's
tweeting with other hackety hackers, or discussing the project in the
mailing list. There's got to be more of it going on.

The blog is a great place to start, try posting more often, as of today it's
been nearly 10 days since the last update. Perhaps we should have a thread
in the forums, or even on the mailing list for blog ideas, where people can
offer up suggestions or ask questions they'd like answered in a post.

I also think more demonstrations are in order, as well as addressing the
list items on the HH Roadmap wiki page on github. By demonstrations I mean
not just user and developer documentation but walkthroughs of actual HH
programs and example applications. Write a post on how to build (X) program,
create a screencast and upload it to youtube/vimeo/whatever

There's a lot of things that could be done it's just finding the time and
resources to do them.

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 9:03 PM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:

> Hey guys-
>
> I'm always trying to figure out how to get more people involved with
> Hackety, and I think that something I've been doing a bad job at is
> transparency. This list hasn't been high traffic, and while I don't know if
> I want it to be, exactly, sometimes I feel like it's a bit of a ghost town.
>
> Does anyone have any particular complaints/critiques on this? I think it'll
> get a lot better after a 1.0 release, but still.
>



-- 
Zachary Scott

http://zacharyscott.net/
http://twitter.com/hasmanytweets

Re: [hacketyhack] What can I do to get people more involved?

From:
Eric Mill
Date:
2010-10-24 @ 18:00
Thanks for posting that, Zachary.  Like you said, I think it's a matter of
time and resources. No one's getting paid to work on Hackety Hack and we all
have other things going on. I know I was going to help out in a much more
significant way back when the project started, but I didn't commit enough
time, let the rest of my life take over, and somehow I never seemed to have
the time to seriously code on it. Very lame of me.

I think for a lot of us, it'd be easier to throw ourselves into it if we had
a clearer plan of where we're going. What are we working towards? Once we
have HH 1.0 released, what happens then? Why are the five bullet points
under 1.0 on the Roadmap important?

Is anyone here on the list planning on using HH in their work as a teacher?
Or recommending it to teachers in the schools they work in?

If we had some people on the list or the blog, posting about how they can't
wait to use Hackety Hack with their kids once we have X ready and the
beginnings of Y working, and that the next semester begins in January and
having something by then would be a huge help -- that would give us purpose
and structure, right away. I can work under those conditions, even when I'm
busy with other things. It's when it feels like an open ended commitment
with no clear reward that I struggle to turn my abstract enthusiasm for the
project into me sitting down from 8pm to midnight to code on it after a full
day's work.

How about an online community meeting, for people who have an interest in
possibly devoting real time to the project, to figure out how we can use HH
in real life, the most useful features we can add to make it happen, and to
break it down into achievable parts on an achievable timeline?

-- Eric

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Zachary Scott
<zachary.s.scott@gmail.com>wrote:

> I was waiting to see if any of the other members were going to respond to
> this first, but since it's been 2 days..
>
> Hackety definitely needs some more community interaction, whether it's
> tweeting with other hackety hackers, or discussing the project in the
> mailing list. There's got to be more of it going on.
>
> The blog is a great place to start, try posting more often, as of today
> it's been nearly 10 days since the last update. Perhaps we should have a
> thread in the forums, or even on the mailing list for blog ideas, where
> people can offer up suggestions or ask questions they'd like answered in a
> post.
>
> I also think more demonstrations are in order, as well as addressing the
> list items on the HH Roadmap wiki page on github. By demonstrations I mean
> not just user and developer documentation but walkthroughs of actual HH
> programs and example applications. Write a post on how to build (X) program,
> create a screencast and upload it to youtube/vimeo/whatever
>
> There's a lot of things that could be done it's just finding the time and
> resources to do them.
>
>
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 9:03 PM, Steve Klabnik <steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:
>
>> Hey guys-
>>
>> I'm always trying to figure out how to get more people involved with
>> Hackety, and I think that something I've been doing a bad job at is
>> transparency. This list hasn't been high traffic, and while I don't know if
>> I want it to be, exactly, sometimes I feel like it's a bit of a ghost town.
>>
>> Does anyone have any particular complaints/critiques on this? I think
>> it'll get a lot better after a 1.0 release, but still.
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Zachary Scott
>
> http://zacharyscott.net/
> http://twitter.com/hasmanytweets
>

Re: [hacketyhack] What can I do to get people more involved?

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2010-10-25 @ 22:51
Hey guys. Seems like everyone's waiting for other people to post, so I guess
I'll finally jump in. :)

First of all, thank you for the lengthy replies. Let me try to nail a few
points, without making this too involved:

Zak-

 Perhaps we should have a thread in the forums, or even on the mailing list
> for blog ideas, where people can offer up suggestions or ask questions
> they'd like answered in a post.


I think you're right, I need to get more stuff up for hackety sooner. I
wanted to keep it high signal, but I think my standards are a bit too high.
I have two posts in the works, though: i'll push one out tomorrow.

I think connecting the blog and the forum would be nice, maybe I'll start
making forum threads so that people can reply to posts...

 create a screencast and upload it to youtube/vimeo/whatever


Also a fantastic idea. I've actually pulled the plug on watch.steve, and
wanted to replace it with hackety casts...

Eric-

 Very lame of me.


Don't say that. I was also exceptionally bad at stewardship for the first
six months or so. Life happens. No worries. I'm just glad you're still
around. :)

What are we working towards?


Fair enough.

Is anyone here on the list planning on using HH in their work as a teacher?


I actually have a big announcement related to this, that I just haven't
gotten to... see the mysterious sentence below.

 that would give us purpose and structure, right away. I can work under
> those conditions, even when I'm busy with other things.


Absolutely, 100% agree. I'd like to make that happen... it's sort of chicken
and egg at the moment, I think.

How about an online community meeting,


I think this would be really great. I have some really, really great stuff
coming that I just can't quite talk about publicly yet, but I'd be willing
to divulge at a meeting like that.

When would be good for a Hackety summit? Maybe during Shoesfest? (If you
hadn't heard, we're going to be having a Shoes hackathon coming up Nov 13-14
(tenative date). Or sooner? I'm on irc almost all the time....

Re: [hacketyhack] What can I do to get people more involved?

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2010-10-25 @ 23:06
Apparently Bluebie is still having librelist problems.

The packager in shoes needs to work, there need to be some fun hackety
hack games to show people it's great. A stable Hackety Hack with no
crashes and a working packager is much better than a feature filled
crashy unpackagable one. Strip out Why's less useful features if you
need to, just get something stable out the door, with a promise that
apps written to that API will continue to work in new releases. Most
important thing is that kids can:

• make dumb games.
• brute force solutions to their math homework.
• share easily to friends using different computer platforms.

Do those things and you'll be a winner and everyone will want to help
you add the fancy features, I think.


And my comments:

re: packager: totally. I've been doing a lot of packager related
investigation lately, though it has yet to translate into code. Oh, and we
have this now, cecil is awesome:
http://github.com/shoes/shoes/wiki/A-Developers-Tour-Through-The-Magic-Packager

I agree that stability is absolutely important. By now, Hackety should be
pretty bug-free, it's just Shoes that has some bugs still. Not that it's an
excuse, but it's why I've been working on Shoes more than hackety. I do
think that Policeman is stable enough for a release, though: I haven't had
it crash in a long time, and there are only a few minor bugs that bite me
nowadays. Almost insignificant. I still want them fixed, I just don't want
them to hold up release.

Re: [hacketyhack] What can I do to get people more involved?

From:
Eric Mill
Date:
2010-10-26 @ 04:50
>
>
> How about an online community meeting,
>
>
> I think this would be really great. I have some really, really great stuff
> coming that I just can't quite talk about publicly yet, but I'd be willing
> to divulge at a meeting like that.
>
> When would be good for a Hackety summit? Maybe during Shoesfest? (If you
> hadn't heard, we're going to be having a Shoes hackathon coming up Nov 13-14
> (tenative date). Or sooner? I'm on irc almost all the time....
>
>

Is that during RubyConf? At RubyConf, even? I'll be at RubyConf in New
Orleans from the 11th through the 13th. My flight goes back to DC on 5pm on
the 14th.

-- Eric

Re: [hacketyhack] What can I do to get people more involved?

From:
Zachary Scott
Date:
2010-10-26 @ 14:12
>
>
>> How about an online community meeting,
>>
>>
>> I think this would be really great. I have some really, really great stuff
>> coming that I just can't quite talk about publicly yet, but I'd be willing
>> to divulge at a meeting like that.
>>
>> When would be good for a Hackety summit? Maybe during Shoesfest? (If you
>> hadn't heard, we're going to be having a Shoes hackathon coming up Nov 13-14
>> (tenative date). Or sooner? I'm on irc almost all the time....
>>
>>
>
> Is that during RubyConf? At RubyConf, even? I'll be at RubyConf in New
> Orleans from the 11th through the 13th. My flight goes back to DC on 5pm on
> the 14th.
>
>
No this is a separate event from RubyConf, that will take place either the
weekend of the 13th or the following weekend, still trying to work out the
exact dates.

We're planning on a weekend long shoe's related event in Pittsburgh, PA. It
could be anything relating to shoes, including hackety or colorful shoes!

More details soon..


-- 
Zachary Scott

http://zacharyscott.net/
http://twitter.com/hasmanytweets

Re: [hacketyhack] What can I do to get people more involved?

From:
Steve Klabnik
Date:
2010-10-26 @ 19:42
Unfortunately, RubyConf just isn't in my budget this year...