Re: [getarailsjob] Greetings

Re: [getarailsjob] Greetings

Allen Maxwell
2012-09-04 @ 22:06
Welcome to the fold.. Here's your glass of kool-aid.  :)

Prepare for enlightenment, and an eventual FBI raidŠ

Max

From:  Scott Graves <familyman@wwdb.org>
Reply-To:  <getarailsjob@librelist.com>
Date:  Tue, 4 Sep 2012 15:59:30 -0600
To:  <getarailsjob@librelist.com>
Subject:  [getarailsjob] Greetings

Greetings,

My name is Scott and while I am not new to programming I am new to Rails. I
am currently teaching myself the language and after speaking with Dave a few
days ago am introducing myself to the group. I am actively looking for work
and any good resources for that or suggestions for concepts I should learn
would be greatly appreciated.

Scott Graves

Re: [getarailsjob] Greetings

Allen Maxwell
2012-09-05 @ 01:16
Sounds like fun.  Haven't played with any of that yet. ;)

I'll take some red Kool-aid with extra sweetnessŠ

From:  David Richards <davidlamontrichards@gmail.com>
Reply-To:  <getarailsjob@librelist.com>
Date:  Tue, 4 Sep 2012 16:18:32 -0600
To:  <getarailsjob@librelist.com>
Subject:  Re: [getarailsjob] Greetings

Ha! You see me drinking the kool aid all the time.  It usually comes in
blue, out of a Mountain Dew bottle.  Glad to have you aboard Scott.

Also, I wanted to float a notion, see if anyone's interested.  A couple of
years ago, Wildfire tried to recruit me.  We got pretty far along the road,
then I decided I didn't want to move to Silicon Valley.  About 2 weeks ago,
Google bought Wildfire, and they're letting people live all over now.  I was
hit up by a wildfire employee over the weekend to see if I had any interest
in working for them.  I don't, but I was wondering if people in the group
did.

Wildfire builds branded social apps for large companies.  So, they're
interested in Rails people and designers that can get that work done. They
are doing really well and seem to have an insatiable appetite for developers
with a Rails + Facebook skill set.

My thought is this, if there's interest, we can prep a few demo apps the way
Wildfire would want to see them.  They want to see a Sinatra or Rails app
integrating with Facebook.  We could do that using koala and get people
ready for the interview process.  I think they're looking for quite a few
people, so I wouldn't expect this group to present competition amongst
ourselves.  Besides, it would be cool to do some fun things with Facebook
and koala.

So, if there's interest, let's start a heroku app or three that does fun
things with Facebook data.  I'll reach out to the employee directly again (I
think there's a bonus in it for him), and we'll see where that goes.  We
could start that on Thursday night, if it works out.

Thanks

David

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Stanley Stuart <dstanley.stuart@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Protip: Don't drink the kool aid.

Re: [getarailsjob] Greetings

Stanley Stuart
2012-09-04 @ 22:20
Oh god, Facebook API.

The last time I played with it it was really horribly undocumented.  Is
that still the case?

Re: [getarailsjob] Greetings

David Richards
2012-09-04 @ 22:24
It's a bit of a pain.  I played a dozen ways with it.  It's fun to see what
you can do with it, hard to know if you have the latest and best
information in front of you.  When I last tackled the task, I did it via
koala, which was really easy to use.

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Stanley Stuart <dstanley.stuart@gmail.com>wrote:

> Oh god, Facebook API.
> The last time I played with it it was really horribly undocumented.  Is
> that still the case?

Re: [getarailsjob] Greetings

Stanley Stuart
2012-09-04 @ 22:10
Protip: Don't drink the kool aid.

Re: [getarailsjob] Greetings

David Richards
2012-09-04 @ 22:18
Ha! You see me drinking the kool aid all the time.  It usually comes in
blue, out of a Mountain Dew bottle.  Glad to have you aboard Scott.

Also, I wanted to float a notion, see if anyone's interested.  A couple of
years ago, Wildfire tried to recruit me.  We got pretty far along the road,
then I decided I didn't want to move to Silicon Valley.  About 2 weeks ago,
Google bought Wildfire, and they're letting people live all over now.  I
was hit up by a wildfire employee over the weekend to see if I had any
interest in working for them.  I don't, but I was wondering if people in
the group did.

Wildfire builds branded social apps for large companies.  So, they're
interested in Rails people and designers that can get that work done. They
are doing really well and seem to have an insatiable appetite for
developers with a Rails + Facebook skill set.

My thought is this, if there's interest, we can prep a few demo apps the
way Wildfire would want to see them.  They want to see a Sinatra or Rails
app integrating with Facebook.  We could do that using koala and get people
ready for the interview process.  I think they're looking for quite a few
people, so I wouldn't expect this group to present competition amongst
ourselves.  Besides, it would be cool to do some fun things with Facebook
and koala.

So, if there's interest, let's start a heroku app or three that does fun
things with Facebook data.  I'll reach out to the employee directly again
(I think there's a bonus in it for him), and we'll see where that goes.  We
could start that on Thursday night, if it works out.

Thanks

David

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Stanley Stuart <dstanley.stuart@gmail.com>wrote:

> Protip: Don't drink the kool aid.

Re: [getarailsjob] Greetings

Jason Olson
2012-09-06 @ 19:25
David,

I am definitely interested in a Wildfire-ish project!  I'd love to learn
more about Sinatra.