What Next?

What Next?

Alan Animus
2014-07-15 @ 14:29
So Friendica is suppose to be about a decentralized social network. I have
looked and looked and looked and cannot find anything about it migrating to
MaidSafe.net when it launches. Is there any plan to jump over there? If not
then why?

Michael Vogel
2014-07-15 @ 14:34
Hi Alan!

I heard of maidsafe seconds ago. Sounds like Twister to me. Maidsafe seems
to be a client based system, while friendica is webserver based. I don't
see, how this can be combined.

Michael

Alan Animus
2014-07-15 @ 14:48
Thanks Michael,

MaidSafe is not Twister or anything like it. It is something which I very
strongly recommend you checkout especially the explainer video on their
site.. It is a decentralized internet platform with a lot of interest
behind it. There is talk that the alpha could be released as soon as the
end of summer.

Rather than the centralized internet that we have now (with all data
running unencrypted through centralized nodes), it completely eliminates
servers. All data is stored in the cloud using the best encryption
techniques out there. In addition to this any attempt to DDOS a website
actually makes the website faster not slower.

This really is some amazing technology and you really should check it out.
to give you an idea whats going on the people at MaidSafe set a goal to
raised over 1 million dollars in 5 hours (their goal was either 30 or 60
days I can't remember). These guys are very serious about creating an
internet which cannot be censored or taken down, and which is easier and
more secure than Tor. They want it to be so easy grandma can use it. And so
secure that nobody can crack it.

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 10:34 AM, Michael Vogel <annando@ymail.com> wrote:

> Hi Alan!
> I heard of maidsafe seconds ago. Sounds like Twister to me. Maidsafe seems
> to be a client based system, while friendica is webserver based. I don't
> see, how this can be combined.
> Michael

Fabio Comuni
2014-07-15 @ 15:11
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Il 15/07/2014 16:48, Alan Animus ha scritto:
> to give you an idea whats going on the people at MaidSafe set a
> goal to raised over 1 million dollars in 5 hours

This remember me about another project in "federated social network"
field...
A quick found raising is't always a good project sign. See potato
salad https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/324283889/potato-salad

Anyway.. I think would need a full rewrite to run friendica on that.
Can I run php and Mysql on that?

oh, and I did't see the video yet (but I could saw it some time ago),
but somehow it reminds me Tahoe-LAFS...

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.22 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://www.enigmail.net/

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJTxUSjAAoJECEz2UseJhIVzXwIAII/ZB4TZy6lH6GQOk0BSfzZ
+fD1jwVDA5nbnziyQ2BUx97VRbglvGSdWhpPzn0+5glGDLvGw1VyOzeBjMnSL5hg
NI/SWC6pwd8OpnX8h1p90NpzAChlsOfyVazZzjNu1Yo0Gf8DLzRWNHPPID3Ti8Wk
yX6f4E/7wTSAwmt9FLGHpp+/HIWRaEr+jcUNwMCaZWRjh5BjfJZLzLzkc5WykMnm
vWWD9YsdnrhuEL6dJJVzH491PCtt5jJSJJX1RNVz0lHaE+W5Q/SddacfjI93cOnH
SCtcfO2t6fuwrH4lVSYL5gjs1oNMyV3IpJYlpY4kF6x453loCobY11c09w8j6i8=
=8GHN
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Alan Animus
2014-07-15 @ 15:17
I agree that a quick fundraising is not always good. This is a "company"
that has been around for 7 years. They released all their pattens, and made
the software free and open source. The software works, whats left is fine
tuning it.

Tahoe-LAFS was not decentralized. MaidSafe has NO servers.

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 11:11 AM, Fabio Comuni <fabrix.xm@gmail.com> wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
> Il 15/07/2014 16:48, Alan Animus ha scritto:
> > to give you an idea whats going on the people at MaidSafe set a
> > goal to raised over 1 million dollars in 5 hours
> This remember me about another project in "federated social network"
> field...
> A quick found raising is't always a good project sign. See potato
> salad https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/324283889/potato-salad
> Anyway.. I think would need a full rewrite to run friendica on that.
> Can I run php and Mysql on that?
> oh, and I did't see the video yet (but I could saw it some time ago),
> but somehow it reminds me Tahoe-LAFS...
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v2.0.22 (MingW32)
> Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://www.enigmail.net/
> iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJTxUSjAAoJECEz2UseJhIVzXwIAII/ZB4TZy6lH6GQOk0BSfzZ
> +fD1jwVDA5nbnziyQ2BUx97VRbglvGSdWhpPzn0+5glGDLvGw1VyOzeBjMnSL5hg
> NI/SWC6pwd8OpnX8h1p90NpzAChlsOfyVazZzjNu1Yo0Gf8DLzRWNHPPID3Ti8Wk
> yX6f4E/7wTSAwmt9FLGHpp+/HIWRaEr+jcUNwMCaZWRjh5BjfJZLzLzkc5WykMnm
> vWWD9YsdnrhuEL6dJJVzH491PCtt5jJSJJX1RNVz0lHaE+W5Q/SddacfjI93cOnH
> SCtcfO2t6fuwrH4lVSYL5gjs1oNMyV3IpJYlpY4kF6x453loCobY11c09w8j6i8=
> =8GHN
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Fabio Comuni
2014-07-15 @ 15:27
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Il 15/07/2014 17:17, Alan Animus ha scritto:
> I agree that a quick fundraising is not always good. This is a
> "company" that has been around for 7 years. They released all their
> pattens, and made the software free and open source. The software
> works, whats left is fine tuning it.
> Tahoe-LAFS was not decentralized. MaidSafe has NO servers.
I said I didn't see the video yet? :-)

Anyway. It seems an interesting project, but it build a completely
different software stack form a LAMP stack used on web server, the one
friendica is build to run on.
So, when friendica will migrate on MaidSafe, it will not be friendica
anymore: it will be a completely different project.
Incompatible with friendica, too.

So:
there will be a social network built on MaidSafe? I'm sure yes.
Will be friendica? I'm confident not.

Now a question:
Where I can download MaidSafe to play with it?

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.22 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://www.enigmail.net/

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJTxUhlAAoJECEz2UseJhIVqvkIAK7D+bGnBwPmU1F5Ox7tV+uT
ubLrtT4JlLVjSLr0sMPmtGZqKIz/8xkAyxT8G4LbMbPL7Pzf/F93QWfRTm2d+HZB
AoWSCA72vtS8RkHCiaGkRZg0xaK3ATdBAbyCeTlF5gBtYCU+uDZaATcwnAaF1Fkc
nKjufnM1gTmgIcogTd4nh5dm0TryH8I/DlpELScpJSOqaganJ2H9u8f1A2pplkjV
oHq/f8gaI2q+R76KUaGTrmYszo5MfhBIteO8YEluezqqCLgwx2etq/+Of6Lo1tJ7
vERo5dzeTU0Q4QQa2ow+ENVe+1Hev7KCtgkEaJPWILEr95rVpAG2uFj52lk9VDE=
=iozz
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Alan Animus
2014-07-15 @ 15:34
It doesn't have to be Friendica as is. I more think that friendica is on
the right track, that MaidSafe is on the right track. Let's see if we can
get the two together. Even if it has to be redone it's worth putting
forward the idea. No in the US there is not as strong a desire for a
censorship resistant internet and social network. However globally there is
a very strong desire for such a thing. There is a "first to market"
advantage which Friendica could take advantage of. G+ and FaceSpace like
manipulating their users (see recent psychological experiments). They are
not going to give up that kind of power, which means they could very well
get left behind.

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 11:27 AM, Fabio Comuni <fabrix.xm@gmail.com> wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
> Il 15/07/2014 17:17, Alan Animus ha scritto:
> > I agree that a quick fundraising is not always good. This is a
> > "company" that has been around for 7 years. They released all their
> > pattens, and made the software free and open source. The software
> > works, whats left is fine tuning it.
> > Tahoe-LAFS was not decentralized. MaidSafe has NO servers.
> I said I didn't see the video yet? :-)
> Anyway. It seems an interesting project, but it build a completely
> different software stack form a LAMP stack used on web server, the one
> friendica is build to run on.
> So, when friendica will migrate on MaidSafe, it will not be friendica
> anymore: it will be a completely different project.
> Incompatible with friendica, too.
> So:
> there will be a social network built on MaidSafe? I'm sure yes.
> Will be friendica? I'm confident not.
> Now a question:
> Where I can download MaidSafe to play with it?
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v2.0.22 (MingW32)
> Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://www.enigmail.net/

OHAI,

Dnia wtorek, 15 lipca 2014 17:27:33 Fabio Comuni pisze:
> Il 15/07/2014 17:17, Alan Animus ha scritto:
> > I agree that a quick fundraising is not always good. This is a
> > "company" that has been around for 7 years. They released all their
> > pattens, and made the software free and open source. The software
> > works, whats left is fine tuning it.
> > Tahoe-LAFS was not decentralized. MaidSafe has NO servers.
> I said I didn't see the video yet? :-)
> Anyway. It seems an interesting project, but it build a completely
> different software stack form a LAMP stack used on web server, the one
> friendica is build to run on.
> So, when friendica will migrate on MaidSafe, it will not be friendica
> anymore: it will be a completely different project.
> Incompatible with friendica, too.

Guys, we're looking at it from the completely wrong side. The question is not
"how to run Friendica software in/on MaidSAFE", the questions are:
 - is there a social network within MaidSAFE?
 - is it possible to make Friendica compatible with it?

It's all bits and bytes, afterall.

Pozdr
rysiek

rysiek
2014-07-15 @ 19:27
Dnia wtorek, 15 lipca 2014 10:29:21 Alan Animus pisze:
> So Friendica is suppose to be about a decentralized social network. I have
> looked and looked and looked and cannot find anything about it migrating to
> MaidSafe.net when it launches. Is there any plan to jump over there? If not
> then why?

Because Friendica is *federated*, *semi-decentralised*; that means there are
servers and users on them. MaidSAFE has a whole different approach -- no
servers, just nodes. It's simply impossible to get Friendica (software)
"running on MaidSAFE". It's like asking how to run a boat on a potato.

Pozdr
rysiek

h0ost
2014-07-15 @ 20:29
On 07/15/2014 03:27 PM, rysiek wrote:

> Because Friendica is *federated*, *semi-decentralised*; that means there are
> servers and users on them. MaidSAFE has a whole different approach -- no
> servers, just nodes. It's simply impossible to get Friendica (software)
> "running on MaidSAFE". It's like asking how to run a boat on a potato.

True, but if one installs Friendica on their laptop, or home computer,
then Friendica becomes "server-less" as far as that user is concerned.
It all depends on how people want to use it.  Friendica runs fine for
small user base on any hardware, including Raspberry Pi, so it's a
matter of use scenarios.

rysiek
2014-07-15 @ 20:56
Dnia wtorek, 15 lipca 2014 16:29:01 h0ost pisze:
> On 07/15/2014 03:27 PM, rysiek wrote:
> > Because Friendica is *federated*, *semi-decentralised*; that means there
> > are servers and users on them. MaidSAFE has a whole different approach --
> > no servers, just nodes. It's simply impossible to get Friendica
> > (software) "running on MaidSAFE". It's like asking how to run a boat on a
> > potato.
> True, but if one installs Friendica on their laptop, or home computer,
> then Friendica becomes "server-less" as far as that user is concerned.
> It all depends on how people want to use it.  Friendica runs fine for
> small user base on any hardware, including Raspberry Pi, so it's a
> matter of use scenarios.

Indubitably, but the primary focus is the semi-decentralised, federated model.
This is also obvious in how much energy is needed to run Friendica (and
Diaspora, and Pump.IO, and...) on own hardware.

Compare Twister -- start it, add account, done.
Compare RetroShare -- same thing.

Don't get me wrong, I am not considering Friendica's "fault" or
"shortcomming", but we need to keep in mind the realities of the software we
use.

However, as I have written, I am sure it would be possible to get Friendica to
be compatible (at least to some extent) with more decentralised-by-design
networks (like MaidSAFE).

Pozdr
rysiek

h0ost
2014-07-15 @ 21:30
On 07/15/2014 04:56 PM, rysiek wrote:

> However, as I have written, I am sure it would be possible to get Friendica to
> be compatible (at least to some extent) with more decentralised-by-design
> networks (like MaidSAFE).

Ok, MaidSAFE looks interesting.  I read some of the documentation.  Does
the code exist as of yet?  I was looking for a github repository, but
wasn't sure if I missed it.

Alan Animus
2014-07-15 @ 21:50
They have made everything public but they are finishing smoothing out the
edges before shipping. They don't want to release it perfect but they want
to smooth out as much of the rough edges as they can before they ship. They
don't want to be in a position where the product they release damages the
brand (bad alpha). There is a testnet up and running.

Thank you everyone who has responded. I consider MaidSafe to be the most
important project in the past 20 years. There is nothing more important
than an internet resistant to political censorship, and security against
PRISM. Even if Friendica has to be rewritten I think its important to get
this conversation started because we want to set the tone.

People in China, the middle east, Russian, and even Europe want and need to
be able to share publicly but safely. The question for me is do we want
FaceSpace (who is manipulating users and censoring posts) or do we want
something better?

MaidSafe is what the internet promised to be 20 years ago. No in the US
there is not yet the demand for a safe and secure internet, but there is in
the most oppressive places in the world. Because of this the first to
market is going to have a huge advantage and to set the tone for everyone
else. I want to put this information out there so that "the right people"
get out in front of this rather than try to play catch up later.

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 5:30 PM, h0ost <host@mailoo.org> wrote:

> On 07/15/2014 04:56 PM, rysiek wrote:
> > However, as I have written, I am sure it would be possible to get
> Friendica to
> > be compatible (at least to some extent) with more decentralised-by-design
> > networks (like MaidSAFE).
> Ok, MaidSAFE looks interesting.  I read some of the documentation.  Does
> the code exist as of yet?  I was looking for a github repository, but
> wasn't sure if I missed it.

2014-07-15 @ 19:37
On 2014-07-15 21:27, rysiek wrote:
> Dnia wtorek, 15 lipca 2014 10:29:21 Alan Animus pisze:
>> So Friendica is suppose to be about a decentralized social network. I
>> have
>> looked and looked and looked and cannot find anything about it
>> migrating to
>> MaidSafe.net when it launches. Is there any plan to jump over there?
>> If not
>> then why?
> Because Friendica is *federated*, *semi-decentralised*; that means
> there are
> servers and users on them. MaidSAFE has a whole different approach --
> servers, just nodes. It's simply impossible to get Friendica (software)
> "running on MaidSAFE". It's like asking how to run a boat on a potato.

I would stay on the safe side with such statements.

There's that old saying in the scientific circles that goes something
like this:

"If you know it's impossible to make, try to find someone who doesn't
know that".