librelist archives

« back to archive

Python 3

Python 3

From:
john
Date:
2015-01-05 @ 15:26
Hello all,

I am new to Python and Flask. I am currently experimenting with Django 1.7
and I want to experiment with Flask as well. Mostly because I've read that
the Django ORM leaves something to be desired.

I'm an old Java web dev, and would like to know if anyone has experienced
any issues using Python 3.4 with Flask. Are there any extensions that I
should avoid or have the majority been updated?

The app I am building is nothing exciting or special. Its more of a way for
me to learn which framework I feel more comfortable using and of course to
learn Python.

Any input would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Re: [flask] Python 3

From:
Piyush Katariya
Date:
2015-01-05 @ 15:39
i am long time Java dev and switched to Flask with Python 2.7 and it was a
amazing experience. i really can't go back to Java. 
I would suggest Flask over Django anytime as it is very flexible and extensible.

Flask and many notable extensions do well with Python 3.4. so i think it 
makes sense to invest your time in version 3.4 instead of 2.7.x
About compatibility with Python 3.4, refer this site 
https://python3wos.appspot.com/ 

Don't forget to go through Mega Tutorial 

http://blog.miguelgrinberg.com/post/the-flask-mega-tutorial-now-with-python-3-support

Thanks,
Piyush Katariya

On 05-Jan-2015, at 8:56 PM, john <john.brosan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
> 
> I am new to Python and Flask. I am currently experimenting with Django 
1.7 and I want to experiment with Flask as well. Mostly because I've read 
that the Django ORM leaves something to be desired.
> 
> I'm an old Java web dev, and would like to know if anyone has 
experienced any issues using Python 3.4 with Flask. Are there any 
extensions that I should avoid or have the majority been updated?
> 
> The app I am building is nothing exciting or special. Its more of a way 
for me to learn which framework I feel more comfortable using and of 
course to learn Python.
> 
> Any input would be most appreciated.
> 
> Thanks,
> John

Re: [flask] Python 3

From:
Leandro Poblet
Date:
2015-01-05 @ 15:42
Flask does support python 3, and most popular extensions do as well. If
you're not sure about that, check this site: https://caniusepython3.com/
which checks in the python package index.

2015-01-05 12:26 GMT-03:00 john <john.brosan@gmail.com>:

> Hello all,
>
> I am new to Python and Flask. I am currently experimenting with Django 1.7
> and I want to experiment with Flask as well. Mostly because I've read that
> the Django ORM leaves something to be desired.
>
> I'm an old Java web dev, and would like to know if anyone has experienced
> any issues using Python 3.4 with Flask. Are there any extensions that I
> should avoid or have the majority been updated?
>
> The app I am building is nothing exciting or special. Its more of a way
> for me to learn which framework I feel more comfortable using and of course
> to learn Python.
>
> Any input would be most appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> John
>

Re: [flask] Python 3

From:
john
Date:
2015-01-05 @ 15:54
Plyush and Leando,

Thank you both for your quick, insightful and extremely helpful replies. I
very much appreciate it.

Knowing that a vast majority of the extensions support Python 3.4 I'm going
to deep dive into the links you posted. I really like a flexible framework.
I've done a good bit of development in Spring 3.x and now 4.x and I really
like that I can just pull in what I need to get the job done. It looks like
Flask is much the same way.

Well, off to learning new and exciting things!

Thank you again,
John

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 10:42 AM, Leandro Poblet <leandrodrhouse@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Flask does support python 3, and most popular extensions do as well. If
> you're not sure about that, check this site: https://caniusepython3.com/
> which checks in the python package index.
>
> 2015-01-05 12:26 GMT-03:00 john <john.brosan@gmail.com>:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I am new to Python and Flask. I am currently experimenting with Django
>> 1.7 and I want to experiment with Flask as well. Mostly because I've read
>> that the Django ORM leaves something to be desired.
>>
>> I'm an old Java web dev, and would like to know if anyone has experienced
>> any issues using Python 3.4 with Flask. Are there any extensions that I
>> shoul d avoid or have the majority been updated?
>>
>> The app I am building is nothing exciting or special. Its more of a way
>> for me to learn which framework I feel more comfortable using and of course
>> to learn Python.
>>
>> Any input would be most appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> John
>>
>
>

Re: [flask] Python 3

From:
Carlos Vazquez
Date:
2015-01-05 @ 16:05
Hello.-

I just want to chip in by letting you know that there's a great offer
(until tomorrow) at Packt Publishing: every book and every video (there's
one for Flask Beginners) for only $ 5.00 (yes, five) US Dollars :
https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/rapid-flask-video .

And there's a bunch of books about WebDev and Python worth buying.

Best regards

On Mon Jan 05 2015 at 9:58:37 AM john <john.brosan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Plyush and Leando,
>
> Thank you both for your quick, insightful and extremely helpful replies. I
> very much appreciate it.
>
> Knowing that a vast majority of the extensions support Python 3.4 I'm
> going to deep dive into the links you posted. I really like a flexible
> framework. I've done a good bit of development in Spring 3.x and now 4.x
> and I really like that I can just pull in what I need to get the job done.
> It looks like Flask is much the same way.
>
> Well, off to learning new and exciting things!
>
> Thank you again,
> John
>
> On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 10:42 AM, Leandro Poblet <leandrodrhouse@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Flask does support python 3, and most popular extensions do as well. If
>> you're not sure about that, check this site: https://caniusepython3.com/
>> which checks in the python package index.
>>
> 2015-01-05 12:26 GMT-03:00 john <john.brosan@gmail.com>:
>>
> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I am new to Python and Flask. I am currently experimenting with Django
>>> 1.7 and I want to experiment with Flask as well. Mostly because I've read
>>> that the Django ORM leaves something to be desired.
>>>
>>> I'm an old Java web dev, and would like to know if anyone has
>>> experienced any issues using Python 3.4 with Flask. Are t here any
>>> extensions that I shoul d avoid or have the majority been updated?
>>>
>>
>>> The app I am building is nothing exciting or special. Its more of a way
>>> for me to learn which framework I feel more comfortable using and of course
>>> to learn Python.
>>>
>>> Any input would be most appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> John
>>>
>>