Front-End Frameworks

2014-11-18 @ 03:33
I'm trying to get a feel for what other Flask Devs are using. Right now I'm
considering:

- Backbone.js
- Angular.js
- Ember.js

Are you using one of these three? Or something different? Or nothing at all?

I'm looking for a framework that will allow me to build an application that
handles two-way data-binding and AJAX requests. I don't need routing
though, which is why I'm afraid that something like these will be overkill.
Maybe I should stick with knockout.js and jQuery for AJAX?

Thanks again!

Jeremy Dagorn
2014-11-18 @ 03:46
Hi,
That's an interesting question.
From my experience with Flask, I have been using only jQuery as I feel like
using the frameworks you mentioned to be a bit of an overkill.
From what I understand with those frameworks is that they provide your with
controllers/models so the whole way to manage your application, this is why
we are using Flask.

In conclusion of my first answer on this list, I would just go with Jquery,
but it also depends on your needs.
Let me know if it helps, or if I am totally wrong.

Jeremy

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM, Aaron Crowder <aaron.crowder@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm trying to get a feel for what other Flask Devs are using. Right now
> I'm considering:
> - Backbone.js
> - Angular.js
> - Ember.js
> Are you using one of these three? Or something different? Or nothing at
> all?
> I'm looking for a framework that will allow me to build an application
> that handles two-way data-binding and AJAX requests. I don't need routing
> though, which is why I'm afraid that something like these will be overkill.
> Maybe I should stick with knockout.js and jQuery for AJAX?
> Thanks again!

Jérémy Dagorn
www.flask-blog.jeremydagorn.com <http://www.jeremydagorn.com>

Android apps I developed:

Siddharth Saha
2014-11-18 @ 04:12
All the frameworks do support two-way data binding and AJAX. Plus all of
them also support controllers-models-routing (This is where you think it is
overkill).

I have been using Backbone.js with CoffeeScript a lot lately and I really
like it - though the learning curve is a bit steep but I'm glad I did.

PS - When you start most people think they don't need routing but as the
application evolves more or less everybody needs them so you might consider
these frameworks.

Best,
Sid

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 9:16 AM, Jeremy Dagorn <jeremy.dagorn@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
> That's an interesting question.
> From my experience with Flask, I have been using only jQuery as I feel
> like using the frameworks you mentioned to be a bit of an overkill.
> From what I understand with those frameworks is that they provide your
> with controllers/models so the whole way to manage your application, this
> is why we are using Flask.
> In conclusion of my first answer on this list, I would just go with
> Jquery, but it also depends on your needs.
> Let me know if it helps, or if I am totally wrong.
> Jeremy
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM, Aaron Crowder <aaron.crowder@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I'm trying to get a feel for what other Flask Devs are using. Right now
>> I'm considering:
>> - Backbone.js
>> - Angular.js
>> - Ember.js
>> Are you using one of these three? Or something different? Or nothing at
>> all?
>> I'm looking for a framework that will allow me to build an application
>> that handles two-way data-binding and AJAX requests. I don't need routing
>> though, which is why I'm afraid that something like these will be overkill.
>> Maybe I should stick with knockout.js and jQuery for AJAX?
>> Thanks again!
> Jérémy Dagorn
> www.flask-blog.jeremydagorn.com <http://www.jeremydagorn.com>
> Android apps I developed:
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=JumyApps

Daniel Tabak
2014-11-18 @ 04:20
​​
​Hey there.
I typically create an HTTP API in Flask which ​I then consume with a
standalone AngularJS app. With the direction Angular is currently going I
may potentially switch to another framework. Great question, I've always
been curious about what sort of solutions other Flask people typically use.

Daniel

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 9:12 PM, Siddharth Saha <sidchilling@gmail.com>
wrote:

> All the frameworks do support two-way data binding and AJAX. Plus all of
> them also support controllers-models-routing (This is where you think it is
> overkill).
> I have been using Backbone.js with CoffeeScript a lot lately and I really
> like it - though the learning curve is a bit steep but I'm glad I did.
> PS - When you start most people think they don't need routing but as the
> application evolves more or less everybody needs them so you might consider
> these frameworks.
> Best,
> Sid
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 9:16 AM, Jeremy Dagorn <jeremy.dagorn@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> That's an interesting question.
>> From my experience with Flask, I have been using only jQuery as I feel
>> like using the frameworks you mentioned to be a bit of an overkill.
>> From what I understand with those frameworks is that they provide your
>> with controllers/models so the whole way to manage your application, this
>> is why we are using Flask.
>> In conclusion of my first answer on this list, I would just go with
>> Jquery, but it also depends on your needs.
>> Let me know if it helps, or if I am totally wrong.
>> Jeremy
>> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM, Aaron Crowder <aaron.crowder@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I'm trying to get a feel for what other Flask Devs are using. Right now
>>> I'm considering:
>>> - Backbone.js
>>> - Angular.js
>>> - Ember.js
>>> Are you using one of these three? Or something different? Or nothing at
>>> all?
>>> I'm looking for a framework that will allow me to build an application
>>> that handles two-way data-binding and AJAX requests. I don't need routing
>>> though, which is why I'm afraid that something like these will be overkill.
>>> Maybe I should stick with knockout.js and jQuery for AJAX?
>>> Thanks again!

Matthias Urlichs
2014-11-18 @ 09:27
Hi,

Daniel Tabak:
> With the direction Angular is currently going I may potentially switch to
> another framework.

What do you think is wrong with Angular's direction?

-- Matthias Urlichs

Paul Korzhyk
2014-11-18 @ 04:18
Hi Aaron,

I'm using AngularJS, but my reasoning has nothing to do with Flask.
Mostly because I know Angular very well and out of all frameworks I'm
familiar with, it is best suited for stuff I'm building.

Flask is great for building JSON APIs, so it'll work fine with any of the
frameworks you've mentioned.

For simpler projects I usually use jQuery, as it's more than enough when
you just need basic DOM manipulations.
Angular did, however, teach me better ways of using jQuery.

One thing I want to warn you about is that in my experience Backbone is
really bad for two-way data bindings.
Basically it doesn't have that feature.
There are plugins that add data bindings to Backbone views, but those are a
poor match to all the Angular's magic.

Overall, my advice is:
1) think very hard why jQuery isn't enough
2) don't use Backbone
3) choose a tool you are most familiar with.

It all depends on what you need to do.

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 2:46 PM, Jeremy Dagorn <jeremy.dagorn@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
> That's an interesting question.
> From my experience with Flask, I have been using only jQuery as I feel
> like using the frameworks you mentioned to be a bit of an overkill.
> From what I understand with those frameworks is that they provide your
> with controllers/models so the whole way to manage your application, this
> is why we are using Flask.
> In conclusion of my first answer on this list, I would just go with
> Jquery, but it also depends on your needs.
> Let me know if it helps, or if I am totally wrong.
> Jeremy
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM, Aaron Crowder <aaron.crowder@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I'm trying to get a feel for what other Flask Devs are using. Right now
>> I'm considering:
>> - Backbone.js
>> - Angular.js
>> - Ember.js
>> Are you using one of these three? Or something different? Or nothing at
>> all?
>> I'm looking for a framework that will allow me to build an application
>> that handles two-way data-binding and AJAX requests. I don't need routing
>> though, which is why I'm afraid that something like these will be overkill.
>> Maybe I should stick with knockout.js and jQuery for AJAX?
>> Thanks again!
> Jérémy Dagorn
> www.flask-blog.jeremydagorn.com <http://www.jeremydagorn.com>
> Android apps I developed:
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=JumyApps

henry florence
2014-11-18 @ 22:02
I’m currently working on a project using Flask and backbone.js. I have found
Backbone.js works as a neat object orientated approach to separating jquery
code from that relating to models, whilst offering a very shallow learning
curve compared to some of the more heavy weight client side libraries.

It is fairly easy to create flask routes that work with the save() and
load() methods of backbone.js (backbone.js was originally designed to work
with ruby on rails).

Henry

From:  Christian Barra <barrachri@gmail.com>
Reply-To:  <flask@librelist.com>
Date:  Tue, 18 Nov 2014 22:49:01 +0100
To:  <flask@librelist.com>
Subject:  Re: [flask] Front-End Frameworks

Jeremy have you try angular.js ?

Because I see many enthusiasm opionion about react/flux and maybe it's time
to give it a try.

2014-11-18 21:35 GMT+01:00 Jeremy Dagorn <jeremy.dagorn@gmail.com>:
> Might not be the topic, and sorry for disgressing. React is pretty awesome.
> I used it at my previous workplace, combined with the Flux architecture and it
> was really neat. Looking at this discussion makes me want to
> redo my whole front-end on my blog to be using React.js.
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Derek Gaston <friedmud@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've been lurking on this thread - and I just wanted to say: "Thanks for the
>> great discussion!".
>> My Flask app started really simple with static HTML (using Jinja2) then I
>> switched some pages over to being dynamic with JSON being served up by Flask
>> to the client running JQueryUI.  This works great - but I had to do  quite a
>> bit on my own and not being a Javascript expert my JS is pretty gnarly.
>> I've been looking through the suggestions here and _really_ like the look of
>> React.  I'm a C++ programmer most of the time (I develop massively parallel
>> engineering simulation tools that run on some of the largest computers in the
>> world) so the object-oriented nature of React and its ability to simply reuse
>> components looks awesome.  I also like how it has polling for updates built
>> right in (something I had to engineer myself using JQuery directly).  It also
>> looks like it will integrate with Flask really easily. ..
>> Thanks again for the discussion!
>> Derek
>> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 2:54 PM, Daniel Tabak <daniel@tabak.ca> wrote:
>>> What do you all think of PJAX? It seems like it would be a good comprise
>>> between a full blown ajax framework and static rendering.
>>> On 18 Nov 2014 14:52, "Aaron Crowder" <aaron.crowder@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> I think I've come to the conclusion that I am going to use something more
>>>> basic than a full framework for this project. I'm going to look into
>>>> superagent (https://github.com/visionmedia/superagent) as suggested by
>>>> Scott Werner for handling all the AJAX. I'm also going to stick with
>>>> Knockout.js since it's really good at two-way data binding.
>>>> In the future though, I will definitely look at AngularJS on the front-end
>>>> with a Flask REST back-end. Seems like it's fairly popular.
>>>> On Tue Nov 18 2014 at 6:38:19 AM Scott Werner <scott.werner@autodesk.com
>>>> <mailto:scott.we++rner@autodesk.co+m> > wrote:
>>>>> I been using Facebook’s React and Flux framework for my frontend. I then
>>>>> use superagent to make API requests to my Flask REST backend which returns
>>>>> JSON. I am still new to JS and React, but I like how React forces you to
>>>>> think of everything as a component and how data flows from parent to
>>>>> children.
>>>>> Thanks,
>>>>> Scott Werner
>>>>> From: flask@librelist.com [mailto:flask@librelist.com] On Behalf Of
>>>>> Christian Barra
>>>>> Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:32 AM
>>>>> To: flask@librelist.com
>>>>> Subject: Re: [flask] Front-End Frameworks
>>>>>
>>>>> Hi, actually I'm using angular.js with flask as api backend.
>>>>> In my experience it works very well.
>>>>>
>>>>> But the path of angular.js to 2.0 can be a big problem.
>>>>> 2014-11-18 6:10 GMT+01:00 Lars Hansson <romabysen@gmail.com>:
>>>>>
>>>>> Personally I like, and use, Bootstrap.
>>>>> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 12:38 PM, heller <heller@mailbox.org> wrote:
>>>>> Hi all.
>>>>> < /div>
>>>>>
>>>>> I'm interested to hear what everyone's use cases are for flask as well.  I
>>>>> use it on bootstrap 3 for an internal intranet project for work.
>>>>> Inventory, ticket, events, and who-took-what-device-from-who management.
>>>>> (defense mesh network radio communications company) (which actually sucks
>>>>> because the company owns the code; so much for adding that to my github)
>>>>> Anyway, I've also been considering just writing an API in flask and
>>>>> hooking into it with a JS front end. Do you guys think angular is the way
>>>>> to go?
>>>>>
>>>>> T he route returns would most logically just be JSON right?
>>>>> A.
>>>>> Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone
>>>>> -------- Original message --------
>>>>>> >From : Daniel Tabak <daniel@tabak.ca>
>>>>> Date:11/17/2014 11:20 PM (GMT-05:00)
>>>>> To: flask@librelist.com
>>>>> Subject: Re: [flask] Front-End Frameworks
>>>>> ​​
>>>>> ​Hey there.
>>>>> I typically create an HTTP API in Flask which ​I then consume with a
>>>>> standalone AngularJS app. With the direction Angular is currently going I
>>>>> may potentially switch to another framework. Great question, I've always
>>>>> been curious about what sort of solutions other Flask people typically
>>>>> use.
>>>>> Daniel
>>>>> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 9:12 PM, Siddharth Saha <sidchilling@gmail.com>
>>>>> wrote:
>>>>> All the frameworks do support two-way data binding and AJAX. Plus all of
>>>>> them also support controllers-models-routing (This is where you think it
>>>>> is overkill).
>>>>> I have been using Backbone.js with CoffeeScript a lot lately and I really
>>>>> like it - though the learning curve is a bit steep but I'm glad I did.
>>>>>
>>>>> PS - When you start most people think they don't need routing but as the
>>>>> application evolves more or less everybody needs them so you might
>>>>> consider these frameworks.
>>>>> Best,
>>>>> Sid
>>>>> < div>
>>>>> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 9:16 AM, Jeremy Dagorn <jeremy.dagorn@gmail.com>
>>>>> wrote:
>>>>> Hi,
>>>>> That's an interesting question.
>>>>> From my experience with Flask, I have been using only jQuery as I feel
>>>>> like using the frameworks you mentioned to be a bit of an overkill.
>>>>> From what I understand with those frameworks is that they provide your
>>>>> with controllers/models so the whole way to manage your application, this
>>>>> is why we are using Flask.
>>>>> In conclusion of my first answer on this list, I would just go with
>>>>> Jquery, but it also depends on your needs.
>>>>> Let me know if it helps, or if I am totally wrong.
>>>>> Jeremy
>>>>> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM, Aaron Crowder <aaron.crowder@gmail.com>
>>>>> wrote:
>>>>> I'm trying to get a feel for what other Flask Devs are using. Right now
>>>>> I'm considering:
>>>>> - Backbone.js
>>>>> - Angular.js
>>>>> - Ember.js
>>>>> Are you using one of these three? Or something different? Or nothing at
>>>>> all?
>>>>> I'm looking for a framework that will allow me to build an application
>>>>> that handles two-way data-binding and AJAX requests. I don't need routing
>>>>> though, which is why I'm afraid that something like these will be
>>>>> overkill. Maybe I should stick with knockout.js and jQuery for AJAX?
>>>>> Thanks again!
>> --
>> Best,
>> Christian

Jeremy Dagorn
2014-11-18 @ 22:27
I tried angular.js during last summer (2013) very superficially, I liked it
somehow but didn't finish the project I was working on. I have read that
angular.js 2.0 is going to be really different so I am not sure I should go
back to that.

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 2:02 PM, henry florence <henry@hflorence.com> wrote:

> I’m currently working on a project using Flask and backbone.js. I have
> found Backbone.js works as a neat object orientated approach to separating
> jquery code from that relating to models, whilst offering a very shallow
> learning curve compared to some of the more heavy weight client side
> libraries.
> It is fairly easy to create flask routes that work with the save() and
> load() methods of backbone.js (backbone.js was originally designed to work
> with ruby on rails).
> Henry
> From: Christian Barra <barrachri@gmail.com>
> Reply-To: <flask@librelist.com>
> Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 22:49:01 +0100
> To: <flask@librelist.com>
> Subject: Re: [flask] Front-End Frameworks
> Jeremy have you try angular.js ?
> Because I see many enthusiasm opionion about react/flux and maybe it's
> time to give it a try.
> 2014-11-18 21:35 GMT+01:00 Jeremy Dagorn <jeremy.dagorn@gmail.com>:
> Might not be the topic, and sorry for disgressing. React is pretty awesome.
> I used it at my previous workplace, combined with the Flux architecture
> and it was really neat. Looking at this discussion makes me want to
> redo my whole front-end on my blog to be using React.js.
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Derek Gaston <friedmud@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've been lurking on this thread - and I just wanted to say: "Thanks for
>> the great discussion!".
>> My Flask app started really simple with static HTML (using Jinja2) then I
>> switched some pages over to bei ng dynamic with JSON being served up by
>> Flask to the client running JQueryUI.  This works great - but I had to do
>> quite a bit on my own and not being a Javascript expert my JS is pretty
>> gnarly.
>> I've been looking through the suggestions here and _really_ like the look
>> of React.  I'm a C++ programmer most of the time (I develop massively
>> parallel engineering simulation tools that run on some of the largest
>> computers in the world) so the object-oriented nature of React and its
>> ability to simply reuse components looks awesome.  I also like how it has
>> polling for updates built right in (something I had to engineer myself
>> using JQuery directly).  It also looks like it will integrate with Flask
>> really easily. ..
>> Thanks again for the discussion!
>> Derek
>> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 2:54 PM, Daniel Tabak <daniel@tabak.ca> wrote:
>>> What do you all think of PJAX? It seems like it would be a good comprise
>>> between a full blown ajax framework and static rendering.
>>> On 18 Nov 2014 14:52, "Aaron Crowder" <aaron.crowder@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> I think I've come to the conclusion that I am going to use something mo
>>>> re basic than a full framework for this project. I'm going to look into
>>>> superagent (https://github.com/visionmedia/superagent) as suggested by
>>>> Scott Werner for handling all the AJAX. I'm also going to stick with
>>>> Knockout.js since it's really good at two-way data binding.
>>>> In the future though, I will definitely look at AngularJS on the
>>>> front-end with a Flask REST back-end. Seems like it's fairly popular.
>>>> On Tue Nov 18 2014 at 6:38:19 AM Scott Werner <
>>>> scott.werner@autodesk.com <scott.we++rner@autodesk.co+m>> wrote:
>>>>> I been using Facebook’s React and Fl ux framework for my frontend. I
>>>>> then use superagent to make API requests to my Flask REST backend which
>>>>> returns JSON. I am still new to JS and React, but I like how React forces
>>>>> you to think of everything as a component and how data flows from parent to
>>>>> children.
>>>>> Thanks,
>>>>> Scott Werner
>>>>> *From:* flask@librelist.com [mailto: flask@librelist.com] *On Behalf
>>>>> Of *Christian Barra
>>>>> *Sent:* Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:32 AM
>>>>> *To:* flask@librelist.com
>>>>> *Subject:* Re: [flask] Front-End Frameworks
>>>>>
>>>>> Hi, actually I'm using angular.js with flask as api backend.
>>>>>
>>>>> In my experience it works very well.
>>>>>
>>>>> But the path of angular.js to 2.0 can be a big problem.
>>>>> 2014-11-18 6:10 GMT +01:00 Lars Hansson <romabysen@gmail.com>:
>>>>>
>>>>> Personally I like, and use, Bootstrap.
>>>>> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 12:38 PM, heller <heller@mailbox.org> wrote:
>>>>> Hi all.
>>>>> < /div>
>>>>> I'm interested to hear what everyone's use cases are for flask as
>>>>> well.  I use it on bootstrap 3 for an internal intranet project for work.
>>>>> Inventory, ticket, events, and who-took-what-device-from-who management.
>>>>>  (defense mesh network radio communications company) (which actually sucks
>>>>> because the company owns the code; so much for adding that to my github)
>>>>> Anyway, I've also been considering just writing an API in flask and
>>>>> hooking into it with a JS front end. Do you guys think angular is the way
>>>>> to go?
>>>>>
>>>>> T he route returns would most logically just be JSON right?
>>>>> A.
>>>>> Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone
>>>>> -------- Original message --------
>>>>> >From : Daniel Tabak <daniel@tabak.ca>
>>>>> Date:11/17/2014 11:20 PM (GMT-05:00)
>>>>> To: flask@librelist.com
>>>>> Subject: Re: [flask] Front-End Frameworks
>>>>> ​​
>>>>> ​Hey there.
>>>>> I typically create an HTTP API in Flask which ​I then consume with a
>>>>> standalone AngularJS app. With the direction Angular is currently going I
>>>>> may potentially switch to another framework. Great question, I've always
>>>>> been curious about what sort of solutions other Flask people typically use.
>>>>> Daniel
>>>>> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 9:12 PM, Siddharth Saha <sidchilling@gmail.com>
>>>>> wrote:
>>>>> All the frameworks do support two-way data binding and AJAX. Plus all
>>>>> of them also support controllers-models-routing (This is where you think it
>>>>> is overkill).
>>>>> I have been using Backbone.js with CoffeeScript a lot lately and I
>>>>> really like it - though the learning curve is a bit steep but I'm glad I
>>>>> did.
>>>>> PS - When you start most people think they don't need routing but as
>>>>> the application evolves more or less everybody needs them so you might
>>>>> consider these frameworks.
>>>>> Best,
>>>>> Sid
>>>>> < div>
>>>>> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 9:16 AM, Jeremy Dagorn <
>>>>> jeremy.dagorn@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>> Hi,
>>>>> That's an interesting question.
>>>>> From my experience with Flask, I have been using only jQuery as I feel
>>>>> like using the frameworks you mentioned to be a bit of an overkill.
>>>>> From what I understand with those frameworks is that they provide your
>>>>> with controllers/models so the whole way to manage your application, this
>>>>> is why we are using Flask.
>>>>> In conclusion of my first answer on this list, I would just go with
>>>>> Jquery, but it also depends on your needs.
>>>>>
>>>>> Let me know if it helps, or if I am totally wrong.
>>>>> Jeremy
>>>>> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM, Aaron Crowder <
>>>>> aaron.crowder@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>> I'm trying to get a feel for what other Flask Devs are using. Right
>>>>> now I'm considering:
>>>>> - Backbone.js
>>>>> - Angular.js
>>>>> - Ember.js
>>>>> Are you using one of these three? Or something different? Or nothing
>>>>> at all?
>>>>> I'm looking for a framework that will allow me to build an application
>>>>> that handles two-way data-binding and AJAX requests. I don't need routing
>>>>> though, which is why I'm afraid that something like these will be overkill.
>>>>> Maybe I should stick with knockout.js and jQuery for AJAX?
>>>>> Thanks again!

Jérémy Dagorn
www.flask-blog.jeremydagorn.com <http://www.jeremydagorn.com>

Android apps I developed:

heller
2014-11-18 @ 04:38
Hi all.

I'm interested to hear what everyone's use cases are for flask as well.  I
use it on bootstrap 3 for an internal intranet project for work.
Inventory, ticket, events, and who-took-what-device-from-who management.
 (defense mesh network radio communications company) (which actually sucks
because the company owns the code; so much for adding that to my github)

Anyway, I've also been considering just writing an API in flask and
hooking into it with a JS front end. Do you guys think angular is the way
to go?

The route returns would most logically just be JSON right?

A.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: Daniel Tabak <daniel@tabak.ca>
Date:11/17/2014  11:20 PM  (GMT-05:00)
To: flask@librelist.com

Daniel

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 9:12 PM, Siddharth Saha <sidchilling@gmail.com> wrote:
All the frameworks do support two-way data binding and AJAX. Plus all of
them also support controllers-models-routing (This is where you think it
is overkill).

I have been using Backbone.js with CoffeeScript a lot lately and I really
like it - though the learning curve is a bit steep but I'm glad I did.

PS - When you start most people think they don't need routing but as the
application evolves more or less everybody needs them so you might
consider these frameworks.

Best,
Sid

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 9:16 AM, Jeremy Dagorn <jeremy.dagorn@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
That's an interesting question.
From my experience with Flask, I have been using only jQuery as I feel
like using the frameworks you mentioned to be a bit of an overkill.
From what I understand with those frameworks is that they provide your
with controllers/models so the whole way to manage your application, this
is why we are using Flask.

In conclusion of my first answer on this list, I would just go with
Jquery, but it also depends on your needs.
Let me know if it helps, or if I am totally wrong.

Jeremy

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM, Aaron Crowder <aaron.crowder@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm trying to get a feel for what other Flask Devs are using. Right now
I'm considering:

- Backbone.js
- Angular.js
- Ember.js

Are you using one of these three? Or something different? Or nothing at all?

I'm looking for a framework that will allow me to build an application
that handles two-way data-binding and AJAX requests. I don't need routing
though, which is why I'm afraid that something like these will be
overkill. Maybe I should stick with knockout.js and jQuery for AJAX?

Thanks again!

Jérémy Dagorn
www.flask-blog.jeremydagorn.com

Android apps I developed:

Daniel Tabak
www.tabak.ca
daniel@tabak.ca

Lars Hansson
2014-11-18 @ 05:10
Personally I like, and use, Bootstrap.

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 12:38 PM, heller <heller@mailbox.org> wrote:

> Hi all.
> I'm interested to hear what everyone's use cases are for flask as well.  I
> use it on bootstrap 3 for an internal intranet project for work. Inventory,
> ticket, events, and who-took-what-device-from-who management.  (defense
> mesh network radio communications company) (which actually sucks because
> the company owns the code; so much for adding that to my github)
> Anyway, I've also been considering just writing an API in flask and
> hooking into it with a JS front end. Do you guys think angular is the way
> to go?
> The route returns would most logically just be JSON right?
> A.
> Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone
> -------- Original message --------
> From : Daniel Tabak <daniel@tabak.ca>
> Date:11/17/2014 11:20 PM (GMT-05:00)
> To: flask@librelist.com
> Subject: Re: [flask] Front-End Frameworks
> ​​
> ​Hey there.
> I typically create an HTTP API in Flask which ​I then consume with a
> standalone AngularJS app. With the direction Angular is currently going I
> may potentially switch to another framework. Great question, I've always
> been curious about what sort of solutions other Flask people typically use.
> Daniel
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 9:12 PM, Siddharth Saha <sidchilling@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> All the frameworks do support two-way data binding and AJAX. Plus all of
>> them also support controllers-models-routing (This is where you think it is
>> overkill).
>> I have been using Backbone.js with CoffeeScript a lot lately and I really
>> like it - though the learning curve is a bit steep but I'm glad I did.
>> PS - When you start most people think they don't need routing but as the
>> application evolves more or less everybody needs them so you might consider
>> these frameworks.
>> Best,
>> Sid
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 9:16 AM, Jeremy Dagorn <jeremy.dagorn@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> That's an interesting question.
>> From my experience with Flask, I have been using only jQuery as I feel
>> like using the frameworks you mentioned to be a bit of an overkill.
>> From what I understand with those frameworks is that they provide your
>> with controllers/models so the whole way to manage your application, this
>> is why we are using Flask.
>> In conclusion of my first answer on this list, I would just go with
>> Jquery, but it also depends on your needs.
>> Let me know if it helps, or if I am totally wrong.
>> Jeremy
>> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM, Aaron Crowder <aaron.crowder@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I'm trying to get a feel for what other Flask Devs are using. Right now
>>> I'm considering:
>>> - Backbone.js
>>> - Angular.js
>>> - Ember.js
>>> Are you using one of these three? Or something different? Or nothing at
>>> all?
>>> I'm looking for a framework that will allow me to build an application
>>> that handles two-way data-binding and AJAX requests. I don't need routing
>>> though, which is why I'm afraid that something like these will be overkill.
>>> Maybe I should stick with knockout.js and jQuery for AJAX?
>>> Thanks again!
>> --
>> Jérémy Dagorn
>> www.flask-blog.jeremydagorn.com <http://www.jeremydagorn.com>
>> Android apps I developed:
>> https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=JumyApps
> *Daniel Tabak*
> *www.tabak.ca <http://www.tabak.ca>*
> *daniel@tabak.ca <daniel@tabak.ca>*

Christian Barra
2014-11-18 @ 08:32
Hi, actually I'm using angular.js with flask as api backend.

In my experience it works very well.

But the path of angular.js to 2.0 can be a big problem.

2014-11-18 6:10 GMT+01:00 Lars Hansson <romabysen@gmail.com>:

> Personally I like, and use, Bootstrap.
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 12:38 PM, heller <heller@mailbox.org> wrote:
>> Hi all.
>> I'm interested to hear what everyone's use cases are for flask as well.
>> I use it on bootstrap 3 for an internal intranet project for work.
>> Inventory, ticket, events, and who-took-what-device-from-who management.
>>  (defense mesh network radio communications company) (which actually sucks
>> because the company owns the code; so much for adding that to my github)
>> Anyway, I've also been considering just writing an API in flask and
>> hooking into it with a JS front end. Do you guys think angular is the way
>> to go?
>> T he route returns would most logically just be JSON right?
>> A.
>> Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone
>> -------- Original message --------
>> From : Daniel Tabak <daniel@tabak.ca>
>> Date:11/17/2014 11:20 PM (GMT-05:00)
>> To: flask@librelist.com
>> Subject: Re: [flask] Front-End Frameworks
>> ​​
>> ​Hey there.
>> I typically create an HTTP API in Flask which ​I then consume with a
>> standalone AngularJS app. With the direction Angular is currently going I
>> may potentially switch to another framework. Great question, I've always
>> been curious about what sort of solutions other Flask people typically use.
>> Daniel
>>> Best,
>>> Sid
>> < div>
>> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 9:16 AM, Jeremy Dagorn <jeremy.dagorn@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> That's an interesting question.
>>> From my experience with Flask, I have been using only jQuery as I feel
>>> like using the frameworks you mentioned to be a bit of an overkill.
>>> From what I understand with those frameworks is that they provide your
>>> with controllers/models so the whole way to manage your application, this
>>> is why we are using Flask.
>>> In conclusion of my first answer on this list, I would just go with
>>> Jquery, but it also depends on your needs.
>>> Let me know if it helps, or if I am totally wrong.
>>> Jeremy
>>> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM, Aaron Crowder <aaron.crowder@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>> I'm trying to get a feel for what other Flask Devs are using. Right now
>>>> I'm considering:
>>>> - Backbone.js
>>>> - Angular.js
>>>> - Ember.js
>>>> Are you using one of these three? Or something different? Or nothing at
>>>> all?
>>>> I'm looking for a framework that will allow me to build an application
>>>> that handles two-way data-binding and AJAX requests. I don't need routing
>>>> Maybe I should stick with knockout.js and jQuery for AJAX?
>>>> Thanks again!

Christian

Scott Werner
2014-11-18 @ 13:34
I been using Facebook’s React and Flux framework for my frontend. I then
use superagent to make API requests to my Flask REST backend which returns
JSON. I am still new to JS and React, but I like how React forces you to
think of everything as a component and how data flows from parent to
children.

Thanks,
Scott Werner

From: flask@librelist.com [mailto:flask@librelist.com] On Behalf Of
Christian Barra
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:32 AM
To: flask@librelist.com
Subject: Re: [flask] Front-End Frameworks

Hi, actually I'm using angular.js with flask as api backend.
In my experience it works very well.
But the path of angular.js to 2.0 can be a big problem.

2014-11-18 6:10 GMT+01:00 Lars Hansson
<romabysen@gmail.com<mailto:romabysen@gmail.com>>:
Personally I like, and use, Bootstrap.

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 12:38 PM, heller
<heller@mailbox.org<mailto:heller@mailbox.org>> wrote:
Hi all.

< /div>
I'm interested to hear what everyone's use cases are for flask as well.  I
use it on bootstrap 3 for an internal intranet project for work.
Inventory, ticket, events, and who-took-what-device-from-who management.
(defense mesh network radio communications company) (which actually sucks
because the company owns the code; so much for adding that to my github)

Anyway, I've also been considering just writing an API in flask and
hooking into it with a JS front end. Do you guys think angular is the way
to go?

T he route returns would most logically just be JSON right?

A.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From : Daniel Tabak <daniel@tabak.ca<mailto:daniel@tabak.ca>>
Date:11/17/2014 11:20 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: flask@librelist.com<mailto:flask@librelist.com>

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 9:12 PM, Siddharth Saha
<sidchilling@gmail.com<mailto:sidchilling@gmail.com>> wrote:
All the frameworks do support two-way data binding and AJAX. Plus all of
them also support controllers-models-routing (This is where you think it
is overkill).

I have been using Backbone.js with CoffeeScript a lot lately and I really
like it - though the learning curve is a bit steep but I'm glad I did.

PS - When you start most people think they don't need routing but as the
application evolves more or less everybody needs them so you might
consider these frameworks.

Best,
Sid
< div>

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 9:16 AM, Jeremy Dagorn
<jeremy.dagorn@gmail.com<mailto:jeremy.dagorn@gmail.com>> wrote:
Hi,
That's an interesting question.
From my experience with Flask, I have been using only jQuery as I feel
like using the frameworks you mentioned to be a bit of an overkill.
From what I understand with those frameworks is that they provide your
with controllers/models so the whole way to manage your application, this
is why we are using Flask.
In conclusion of my first answer on this list, I would just go with
Jquery, but it also depends on your needs.
Let me know if it helps, or if I am totally wrong.
Jeremy

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM, Aaron Crowder
<aaron.crowder@gmail.com<mailto:aaron.crowder@gmail.com>> wrote:
I'm trying to get a feel for what other Flask Devs are using. Right now
I'm considering:

- Backbone.js
- Angular.js
- Ember.js

Are you using one of these three? Or something different? Or nothing at all?

I'm looking for a framework that will allow me to build an application
that handles two-way data-binding and AJAX requests. I don't need routing
though, which is why I'm afraid that something like these will be
overkill. Maybe I should stick with knockout.js and jQuery for AJAX?

Thanks again!

Jérémy Dagorn
www.flask-blog.jeremydagorn.com<http://www.jeremydagorn.com>

Android apps I developed:

Daniel Tabak
www.tabak.ca<http://www.tabak.ca>
daniel@tabak.ca<mailto:daniel@tabak.ca>

Best,
Christian

Aaron Crowder
2014-11-18 @ 19:48
I think I've come to the conclusion that I am going to use something more
basic than a full framework for this project. I'm going to look into
superagent (https://github.com/visionmedia/superagent) as suggested by
Scott Werner for handling all the AJAX. I'm also going to stick with
Knockout.js since it's really good at two-way data binding.

In the future though, I will definitely look at AngularJS on the front-end
with a Flask REST back-end. Seems like it's fairly popular.

On Tue Nov 18 2014 at 6:38:19 AM Scott Werner <scott.werner@autodesk.com>
wrote:

>  I been using Facebook’s React and Flux framework for my frontend. I then
> use superagent to make API requests to my Flask REST backend which returns
> JSON. I am still new to JS and React, but I like how React forces you to
> think of everything as a component and how data flows from parent to
> children.
> Thanks,
> Scott Werner
> *From:* flask@librelist.com [mailto:flask@librelist.com] *On Behalf Of
*Christian
> Barra
> *Sent:* Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:32 AM
> *To:* flask@librelist.com
> *Subject:* Re: [flask] Front-End Frameworks
> Hi, actually I'm using angular.js with flask as api backend.
> In my experience it works very well.
> But the path of angular.js to 2.0 can be a big problem.
> 2014-11-18 6:10 GMT+01:00 Lars Hansson <romabysen@gmail.com>:
> Personally I like, and use, Bootstrap.
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 12:38 PM, heller <heller@mailbox.org> wrote:
> Hi all.
> < /div>
> I'm interested to hear what everyone's use cases are for flask as well.  I
> use it on bootstrap 3 for an internal intranet project for work. Inventory,
> ticket, events, and who-took-what-device-from-who management.  (defense
> mesh network radio communications company) (which actually sucks because
> the company owns the code; so much for adding that to my github)
> Anyway, I've also been considering just writing an API in flask and
> hooking into it with a JS front end. Do you guys think angular is the way
> to go?
> T he route returns would most logically just be JSON right?
> A.
> Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone
> -------- Original message --------
> >From : Daniel Tabak <daniel@tabak.ca>
> Date:11/17/2014 11:20 PM (GMT-05:00)
> To: flask@librelist.com
> Subject: Re: [flask] Front-End Frameworks
> ​​
> ​Hey there.
> I typically create an HTTP API in Flask which ​I then consume with a
> standalone AngularJS app. With the direction Angular is currently going I
> may potentially switch to another framework. Great question, I've always
> been curious about what sort of solutions other Flask people typically use.
> Daniel
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 9:12 PM, Siddharth Saha <sidchilling@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> All the frameworks do support two-way data binding and AJAX. Plus all of
> them also support controllers-models-routing (This is where you think it is
> overkill).
> I have been using Backbone.js with CoffeeScript a lot lately and I really
> like it - though the learning curve is a bit steep but I'm glad I did.
> PS - When you start most people think they don't need routing but as the
> application evolves more or less everybody needs them so you might consider
> these frameworks.
> Best,
> Sid
> < div>
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 9:16 AM, Jeremy Dagorn <jeremy.dagorn@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> Hi,
> That's an interesting question.
> From my experience with Flask, I have been using only jQuery as I feel
> like using the frameworks you mentioned to be a bit of an overkill.
> From what I understand with those frameworks is that they provide your
> with controllers/models so the whole way to manage your application, this
> is why we are using Flask.
> In conclusion of my first answer on this list, I would just go with
> Jquery, but it also depends on your needs.
> Let me know if it helps, or if I am totally wrong.
> Jeremy
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM, Aaron Crowder <aaron.crowder@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> I'm trying to get a feel for what other Flask Devs are using. Right now
> I'm considering:
> - Backbone.js
> - Angular.js
> - Ember.js
> Are you using one of these three? Or something different? Or nothing at
> all?
> I'm looking for a framework that will allow me to build an application
> that handles two-way data-binding and AJAX requests. I don't need routing
> though, which is why I'm afraid that something like these will be overkill.
> Maybe I should stick with knockout.js and jQuery for AJAX?
> Thanks again!
>   --
> Jérémy Dagorn
> www.flask-blog.jeremydagorn.com <http://www.jeremydagorn.com>
> Android apps I developed:
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=JumyApps
> *Daniel Tabak*
> *www.tabak.ca <http://www.tabak.ca> daniel@tabak.ca <daniel@tabak.ca>*
> Best,
> Christian

Daniel Tabak
2014-11-18 @ 19:54
What do you all think of PJAX? It seems like it would be a good comprise
between a full blown ajax framework and static rendering.
On 18 Nov 2014 14:52, "Aaron Crowder" <aaron.crowder@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think I've come to the conclusion that I am going to use something more
> basic than a full framework for this project. I'm going to look into
> superagent (https://github.com/visionmedia/superagent) as suggested by
> Scott Werner for handling all the AJAX. I'm also going to stick with
> Knockout.js since it's really good at two-way data binding.
> In the future though, I will definitely look at AngularJS on the front-end
> with a Flask REST back-end. Seems like it's fairly popular.
> On Tue Nov 18 2014 at 6:38:19 AM Scott Werner <scott.werner@autodesk.com>
> wrote:
>>  I been using Facebook’s React and Flux framework for my frontend. I
>> then use superagent to make API requests to my Flask REST backend which
>> returns JSON. I am still new to JS and React, but I like how React forces
>> you to think of everything as a component and how data flows from parent to
>> children.
>> Thanks,
>> Scott Werner
>> *From:* flask@librelist.com [mailto:flask@librelist.com] *On Behalf Of
*Christian
>> Barra
>> *Sent:* Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:32 AM
>> *To:* flask@librelist.com
>> *Subject:* Re: [flask] Front-End Frameworks
>> Hi, actually I'm using angular.js with flask as api backend.
>> In my experience it works very well.
>> But the path of angular.js to 2.0 can be a big problem.
>> 2014-11-18 6:10 GMT+01:00 Lars Hansson <romabysen@gmail.com>:
>> Personally I like, and use, Bootstrap.
>> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 12:38 PM, heller <heller@mailbox.org> wrote:
>> Hi all.
>> < /div>
>> I'm interested to hear what everyone's use cases are for flask as well.
>> I use it on bootstrap 3 for an internal intranet project for work.
>> Inventory, ticket, events, and who-took-what-device-from-who management.
>>  (defense mesh network radio communications company) (which actually sucks
>> because the company owns the code; so much for adding that to my github)
>> Anyway, I've also been considering just writing an API in flask and
>> hooking into it with a JS front end. Do you guys think angular is the way
>> to go?
>> T he route returns would most logically just be JSON right?
>> A.
>> Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone
>> -------- Original message --------
>> >From : Daniel Tabak <daniel@tabak.ca>
>> Date:11/17/2014 11:20 PM (GMT-05:00)
>> To: flask@librelist.com
>> Subject: Re: [flask] Front-End Frameworks
>> ​​
>> ​Hey there.
>> I typically create an HTTP API in Flask which ​I then consume with a
>> standalone AngularJS app. With the direction Angular is currently going I
>> may potentially switch to another framework. Great question, I've always
>> been curious about what sort of solutions other Flask people typically use.
>> Daniel
>> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 9:12 PM, Siddharth Saha <sidchilling@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> All the frameworks do support two-way data binding and AJAX. Plus all of
>> them also support controllers-models-routing (This is where you think it is
>> overkill).
>> I have been using Backbone.js with CoffeeScript a lot lately and I really
>> like it - though the learning curve is a bit steep but I'm glad I did.
>> PS - When you start most people think they don't need routing but as the
>> application evolves more or less everybody needs them so you might consider
>> these frameworks.
>> Best,
>> Sid
>> < div>
>> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 9:16 AM, Jeremy Dagorn <jeremy.dagorn@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> That's an interesting question.
>> From my experience with Flask, I have been using only jQuery as I feel
>> like using the frameworks you mentioned to be a bit of an overkill.
>> From what I understand with those frameworks is that they provide your
>> with controllers/models so the whole way to manage your application, this
>> is why we are using Flask.
>> In conclusion of my first answer on this list, I would just go with
>> Jquery, but it also depends on your needs.
>> Let me know if it helps, or if I am totally wrong.
>> Jeremy
>> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM, Aaron Crowder <aaron.crowder@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> I'm trying to get a feel for what other Flask Devs are using. Right now
>> I'm considering:
>> - Backbone.js
>> - Angular.js
>> - Ember.js
>> Are you using one of these three? Or something different? Or nothing at
>> all?
>> I'm looking for a framework that will allow me to build an application
>> that handles two-way data-binding and AJAX requests. I don't need routing
>> though, which is why I'm afraid that something like these will be overkill.
>> Maybe I should stick with knockout.js and jQuery for AJAX?
>> Thanks again!
>> Christian

Derek Gaston
2014-11-18 @ 20:27
I've been lurking on this thread - and I just wanted to say: "Thanks for
the great discussion!".

My Flask app started really simple with static HTML (using Jinja2) then I
switched some pages over to being dynamic with JSON being served up by
Flask to the client running JQueryUI.  This works great - but I had to do
quite a bit on my own and not being a Javascript expert my JS is pretty
gnarly.

I've been looking through the suggestions here and _really_ like the look
of React.  I'm a C++ programmer most of the time (I develop massively
parallel engineering simulation tools that run on some of the largest
computers in the world) so the object-oriented nature of React and its
ability to simply reuse components looks awesome.  I also like how it has
polling for updates built right in (something I had to engineer myself
using JQuery directly).  It also looks like it will integrate with Flask
really easily...

Thanks again for the discussion!

Derek

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 2:54 PM, Daniel Tabak <daniel@tabak.ca> wrote:

> What do you all think of PJAX? It seems like it would be a good comprise
> between a full blown ajax framework and static rendering.
> On 18 Nov 2014 14:52, "Aaron Crowder" <aaron.crowder@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think I've come to the conclusion that I am going to use something more
>> basic than a full framework for this project. I'm going to look into
>> superagent (https://github.com/visionmedia/superagent) as suggested by
>> Scott Werner for handling all the AJAX. I'm also going to stick with
>> Knockout.js since it's really good at two-way data binding.
>> In the future though, I will definitely look at AngularJS on the
>> front-end with a Flask REST back-end. Seems like it's fairly popular.
>> On Tue Nov 18 2014 at 6:38:19 AM Scott Werner <scott.werner@autodesk.com
>> <scott.werner@autodesk.co+m>> wrote:
>>>  I been using Facebook’s React and Flux framework for my frontend. I
>>> then use superagent to make API requests to my Flask REST backend which
>>> returns JSON. I am still new to JS and React, but I like how React forces
>>> you to think of everything as a component and how data flows from parent to
>>> children.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Scott Werner
>>> *From:* flask@librelist.com [mailto:flask@librelist.com] *On Behalf Of
*Christian
>>> Barra
>>> *Sent:* Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:32 AM
>>> *To:* flask@librelist.com
>>> *Subject:* Re: [flask] Front-End Frameworks
>>> Hi, actually I'm using angular.js with flask as api backend.
>>> In my experience it works very well.
>>> But the path of angular.js to 2.0 can be a big problem.
>>> 2014-11-18 6:10 GMT+01:00 Lars Hansson <romabysen@gmail.com>:
>>> Personally I like, and use, Bootstrap.
>>> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 12:38 PM, heller <heller@mailbox.org> wrote:
>>> Hi all.
>>> < /div>
>>> I'm interested to hear what everyone's use cases are for flask as well.
>>> I use it on bootstrap 3 for an internal intranet project for work.
>>> Inventory, ticket, events, and who-took-what-device-from-who management.
>>>  (defense mesh network radio communications company) (which actually sucks
>>> because the company owns the code; so much for adding that to my github)
>>> Anyway, I've also been considering just writing an API in flask and
>>> hooking into it with a JS front end. Do you guys think angular is the way
>>> to go?
>>> T he route returns would most logically just be JSON right?
>>> A.
>>> Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone
>>> -------- Original message --------
>>> >From : Daniel Tabak <daniel@tabak.ca>
>>> Date:11/17/2014 11:20 PM (GMT-05:00)
>>> To: flask@librelist.com
>>> Subject: Re: [flask] Front-End Frameworks
>>> ​​
>>> ​Hey there.
>>> I typically create an HTTP API in Flask which ​I then consume with a
>>> standalone AngularJS app. With the direction Angular is currently going I
>>> may potentially switch to another framework. Great question, I've always
>>> been curious about what sort of solutions other Flask people typically use.
>>> Daniel
>>> Best,
>>> Sid
>>> < div>
>>> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 9:16 AM, Jeremy Dagorn <jeremy.dagorn@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> That's an interesting question.
>>> From my experience with Flask, I have been using only jQuery as I feel
>>> like using the frameworks you mentioned to be a bit of an overkill.
>>> From what I understand with those frameworks is that they provide your
>>> with controllers/models so the whole way to manage your application, this
>>> is why we are using Flask.
>>> In conclusion of my first answer on this list, I would just go with
>>> Jquery, but it also depends on your needs.
>>> Let me know if it helps, or if I am totally wrong.
>>> Jeremy
>>> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM, Aaron Crowder <aaron.crowder@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>> I'm trying to get a feel for what other Flask Devs are using. Right now
>>> I'm considering:
>>> - Backbone.js
>>> - Angular.js
>>> - Ember.js
>>> Are you using one of these three? Or something different? Or nothing at
>>> all?
>>> I'm looking for a framework that will allow me to build an application
>>> that handles two-way data-binding and AJAX requests. I don't need routing
>>> though, which is why I'm afraid that something like these will be overkill.
>>> Maybe I should stick with knockout.js and jQuery for AJAX?
>>> Thanks again!
>>>   --
>>> Jérémy Dagorn
>>> www.flask-blog.jeremydagorn.com <http://www.jeremydagorn.com>
>>> Android apps I developed:
>>> https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=JumyApps
>>> --
>>> *Daniel Tabak*
>>> *www.tabak.ca <http://www.tabak.ca> daniel@tabak.ca <daniel@tabak.ca>*
>>> --
>>> Best,
>>> Christian

Jeremy Dagorn
2014-11-18 @ 20:35
Might not be the topic, and sorry for disgressing. React is pretty awesome.
I used it at my previous workplace, combined with the Flux architecture and
it was really neat. Looking at this discussion makes me want to
redo my whole front-end on my blog to be using React.js.

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Derek Gaston <friedmud@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been lurking on this thread - and I just wanted to say: "Thanks for
> the great discussion!".
> My Flask app started really simple with static HTML (using Jinja2) then I
> switched some pages over to being dynamic with JSON being served up by
> Flask to the client running JQueryUI.  This works great - but I had to do
> quite a bit on my own and not being a Javascript expert my JS is pretty
> gnarly.
> I've been looking through the suggestions here and _really_ like the look
> of React.  I'm a C++ programmer most of the time (I develop massively
> parallel engineering simulation tools that run on some of the largest
> computers in the world) so the object-oriented nature of React and its
> ability to simply reuse components looks awesome.  I also like how it has
> polling for updates built right in (something I had to engineer myself
> using JQuery directly).  It also looks like it will integrate with Flask
> really easily. ..
> Thanks again for the discussion!
> Derek
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 2:54 PM, Daniel Tabak <daniel@tabak.ca> wrote:
>> What do you all think of PJAX? It seems like it would be a good comprise
>> between a full blown ajax framework and static rendering.
>> On 18 Nov 2014 14:52, "Aaron Crowder" <aaron.crowder@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I think I've come to the conclusion that I am going to use something
>>> more basic than a full framework for this project. I'm going to look into
>>> superagent (https://github.com/visionmedia/superagent) as suggested by
>>> Scott Werner for handling all the AJAX. I'm also going to stick with
>>> Knockout.js since it's really good at two-way data binding.
>>> In the future though, I will definitely look at AngularJS on the
>>> front-end with a Flask REST back-end. Seems like it's fairly popular.
>>> On Tue Nov 18 2014 at 6:38:19 AM Scott Werner <scott.werner@autodesk.com
>>> <scott.we+rner@autodesk.co+m>> wrote:
>>>>  I been using Facebook’s React and Flux framework for my frontend. I
>>>> then use superagent to make API requests to my Flask REST backend which
>>>> returns JSON. I am still new to JS and React, but I like how React forces
>>>> children.
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> Scott Werner
>>>> *From:* flask@librelist.com [mailto:flask@librelist.com] *On Behalf Of
>>>> *Christian Barra
>>>> *Sent:* Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:32 AM
>>>> *To:* flask@librelist.com
>>>> *Subject:* Re: [flask] Front-End Frameworks
>>>>
>>>> Hi, actually I'm using angular.js with flask as api backend.
>>>>
>>>> In my experience it works very well.
>>>>
>>>> But the path of angular.js to 2.0 can be a big problem.
>>>> 2014-11-18 6:10 GMT+01:00 Lars Hansson <romabysen@gmail.com>:
>>>>
>>>> Personally I like, and use, Bootstrap.
>>>> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 12:38 PM, heller <heller@mailbox.org> wrote:
>>>> Hi all.
>>>> < /div>
>>>>
>>>> I'm interested to hear what everyone's use cases are for flask as
>>>> well.  I use it on bootstrap 3 for an internal intranet project for work.
>>>> Inventory, ticket, events, and who-took-what-device-from-who management.
>>>>  (defense mesh network radio communications company) (which actually sucks
>>>> because the company owns the code; so much for adding that to my github)
>>>> Anyway, I've also been considering just writing an API in flask and
>>>> hooking into it with a JS front end. Do you guys think angular is the way
>>>> to go?
>>>>
>>>> T he route returns would most logically just be JSON right?
>>>> A.
>>>> Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone
>>>> -------- Original message --------
>>>> >From : Daniel Tabak <daniel@tabak.ca>
>>>> Date:11/17/2014 11:20 PM (GMT-05:00)
>>>> To: flask@librelist.com
>>>> Subject: Re: [flask] Front-End Frameworks
>>>> ​​
>>>> ​Hey there.
>>>> I typically create an HTTP API in Flask which ​I then consume with a
>>>> standalone AngularJS app. With the direction Angular is currently going I
>>>> may potentially switch to another framework. Great question, I've always
>>>> Daniel
>>>> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 9:12 PM, Siddharth Saha <sidchilling@gmail.com>
>>>> wrote:
>>>> All the frameworks do support two-way data binding and AJAX. Plus all
>>>> is overkill).
>>>> I have been using Backbone.js with CoffeeScript a lot lately and I
>>>> really like it - though the learning curve is a bit steep but I'm glad I
>>>> did.
>>>> PS - When you start most people think they don't need routing but as
>>>> the application evolves more or less everybody needs them so you might
>>>> consider these frameworks.
>>>> Best,
>>>> Sid
>>>> < div>
>>>> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 9:16 AM, Jeremy Dagorn <jeremy.dagorn@gmail.com>
>>>> wrote:
>>>> Hi,
>>>> That's an interesting question.
>>>> From my experience with Flask, I have been using only jQuery as I feel
>>>> like using the frameworks you mentioned to be a bit of an overkill.
>>>>
>>>> From what I understand with those frameworks is that they provide your
>>>> with controllers/models so the whole way to manage your application, this
>>>> is why we are using Flask.
>>>>
>>>> In conclusion of my first answer on this list, I would just go with
>>>> Jquery, but it also depends on your needs.
>>>>
>>>> Let me know if it helps, or if I am totally wrong.
>>>> Jeremy
>>>> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM, Aaron Crowder <aaron.crowder@gmail.com>
>>>> wrote:
>>>> I'm trying to get a feel for what other Flask Devs are using. Right now
>>>> I'm considering:
>>>> - Backbone.js
>>>> - Angular.js
>>>> - Ember.js
>>>> Are you using one of these three? Or something different? Or nothing at
>>>> all?
>>>> I'm looking for a framework that will allow me to build an application
>>>> that handles two-way data-binding and AJAX requests. I don't need routing
>>>> Maybe I should stick with knockout.js and jQuery for AJAX?
>>>> Thanks again!
>>>> Christian

Jérémy Dagorn
www.flask-blog.jeremydagorn.com <http://www.jeremydagorn.com>

Android apps I developed:

Christian Barra
2014-11-18 @ 21:49
Jeremy have you try angular.js ?

Because I see many enthusiasm opionion about react/flux and maybe it's time
to give it a try.

2014-11-18 21:35 GMT+01:00 Jeremy Dagorn <jeremy.dagorn@gmail.com>:

> Might not be the topic, and sorry for disgressing. React is pretty awesome.
> I used it at my previous workplace, combined with the Flux architecture
> and it was really neat. Looking at this discussion makes me want to
> redo my whole front-end on my blog to be using React.js.
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Derek Gaston <friedmud@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've been lurking on this thread - and I just wanted to say: "Thanks for
>> the great discussion!".
>> My Flask app started really simple with static HTML (using Jinja2) then I
>> switched some pages over to being dynamic with JSON being served up by
>> Flask to the client running JQueryUI.  This works great - but I had to do
>> quite a bit on my own and not being a Javascript expert my JS is pretty
>> gnarly.
>> I've been looking through the suggestions here and _really_ like the look
>> of React.  I'm a C++ programmer most of the time (I develop massively
>> parallel engineering simulation tools that run on some of the largest
>> computers in the world) so the object-oriented nature of React and its
>> ability to simply reuse components looks awesome.  I also like how it has
>> polling for updates built right in (something I had to engineer myself
>> using JQuery directly).  It also looks like it will integrate with Flask
>> really easily. ..
>> Thanks again for the discussion!
>> Derek
>> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 2:54 PM, Daniel Tabak <daniel@tabak.ca> wrote:
>>> What do you all think of PJAX? It seems like it would be a good comprise
>>> between a full blown ajax framework and static rendering.
>>> On 18 Nov 2014 14:52, "Aaron Crowder" <aaron.crowder@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> I think I've come to the conclusion that I am going to use something
>>>> more basic than a full framework for this project. I'm going to look into
>>>> superagent (https://github.com/visionmedia/superagent) as suggested by
>>>> Scott Werner for handling all the AJAX. I'm also going to stick with
>>>> Knockout.js since it's really good at two-way data binding.
>>>> In the future though, I will definitely look at AngularJS on the
>>>> front-end with a Flask REST back-end. Seems like it's fairly popular.
>>>> On Tue Nov 18 2014 at 6:38:19 AM Scott Werner <
>>>> scott.werner@autodesk.com <scott.we++rner@autodesk.co+m>> wrote:
>>>>>  I been using Facebook’s React and Flux framework for my frontend. I
>>>>> then use superagent to make API requests to my Flask REST backend which
>>>>> returns JSON. I am still new to JS and React, but I like how React forces
>>>>> children.
>>>>> Thanks,
>>>>> Scott Werner
>>>>> *From:* flask@librelist.com [mailto:flask@librelist.com] *On Behalf
>>>>> Of *Christian Barra
>>>>> *Sent:* Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:32 AM
>>>>> *To:* flask@librelist.com
>>>>> *Subject:* Re: [flask] Front-End Frameworks
>>>>>
>>>>> Hi, actually I'm using angular.js with flask as api backend.
>>>>>
>>>>> In my experience it works very well.
>>>>>
>>>>> But the path of angular.js to 2.0 can be a big problem.
>>>>> 2014-11-18 6:10 GMT+01:00 Lars Hansson <romabysen@gmail.com>:
>>>>>
>>>>> Personally I like, and use, Bootstrap.
>>>>> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 12:38 PM, heller <heller@mailbox.org> wrote:
>>>>> Hi all.
>>>>> < /div>
>>>>> I'm interested to hear what everyone's use cases are for flask as
>>>>> well.  I use it on bootstrap 3 for an internal intranet project for work.
>>>>> Inventory, ticket, events, and who-took-what-device-from-who management.
>>>>> because the company owns the code; so much for adding that to my github)
>>>>> Anyway, I've also been considering just writing an API in flask and
>>>>> hooking into it with a JS front end. Do you guys think angular is the way
>>>>> to go?
>>>>>
>>>>> T he route returns would most logically just be JSON right?
>>>>> A.
>>>>> Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone
>>>>> -------- Original message --------
>>>>> >From : Daniel Tabak <daniel@tabak.ca>
>>>>> Date:11/17/2014 11:20 PM (GMT-05:00)
>>>>> To: flask@librelist.com
>>>>> is overkill).
>>>>> I have been using Backbone.js with CoffeeScript a lot lately and I
>>>>> really like it - though the learning curve is a bit steep but I'm glad I
>>>>> did.
>>>>> PS - When you start most people think they don't need routing but as
>>>>> the application evolves more or less everybody needs them so you might
>>>>> consider these frameworks.
>>>>> Best,
>>>>> Sid
>>>>> < div>
>>>>> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 9:16 AM, Jeremy Dagorn <
>>>>> jeremy.dagorn@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>> Hi,
>>>>> That's an interesting question.
>>>>> From my experience with Flask, I have been using only jQuery as I feel
>>>>> like using the frameworks you mentioned to be a bit of an overkill.
>>>>> From what I understand with those frameworks is that they provide your
>>>>> with controllers/models so the whole way to manage your application, this
>>>>> is why we are using Flask.
>>>>> In conclusion of my first answer on this list, I would just go with
>>>>> Jquery, but it also depends on your needs.
>>>>>
>>>>> Let me know if it helps, or if I am totally wrong.
>>>>> Jeremy
>>>>> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM, Aaron Crowder <
>>>>> aaron.crowder@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>> I'm trying to get a feel for what other Flask Devs are using. Right
>>>>> now I'm considering:
>>>>> - Backbone.js
>>>>> - Angular.js
>>>>> - Ember.js
>>>>> Are you using one of these three? Or something different? Or nothing
>>>>> at all?
>>>>> I'm looking for a framework that will allow me to build an application
>>>>> that handles two-way data-binding and AJAX requests. I don't need routing
>>>>> Maybe I should stick with knockout.js and jQuery for AJAX?
>>>>> Thanks again!

2014-11-18 @ 09:25
Hi,

Aaron Crowder:
> - Backbone.js
> - Angular.js
> - Ember.js
> Are you using one of these three? Or something different? Or nothing at all?
I'm working on rebuilding my whole web environment (several smaller sites)
with Angular.js and coffeescript/sass/jade.

I plan to use Flask for the API part (SocketIO and pure JSON, no jinja2),
the rest is built statically with Node+gulp. I dynamically load partial
pages from the (static) backend.

The advantage of this setup is that the client does all the work, so the
server only needs to support a lean API. Anything else can be farmed out
to a static web server, or even a CDN if I ever get slashdotted.

> I'm looking for a framework that will allow me to build an application that
> handles two-way data-binding and AJAX requests. I don't need routing
> though, which is why I'm afraid that something like these will be overkill.

Yes, you do need routing. :-P  Or states, which is what Angular 2.0 will
switch to, like in http://angular-ui.github.io/ui-router/sample

-- Matthias Urlichs