Per request, change template folders

Per request, change template folders

Sjoerd Huisman | Congressus
2013-07-30 @ 09:26
Hi,

I'm running Flask to host multiple websites. We have a common template
folder as a fallback, and if specific websites have specific requirements,
we want to overwrite these with specific templates.
Our folder structures looks like;
- templates
- - common
- - - a.html
- - - b.html
- - website1
- - - a.html

I have implemented a ChoiceLoader, that detects the current website and
calls the FileSystemLoader for that site first. Unfortunately, this
ChoiceLoader is initiated only on application startup. Is there a way to
redirect between multiple template folders per request?

Thanks

Re: [flask] Per request, change template folders

Armin Ronacher
2013-07-30 @ 20:10
Hi,

On 30/07/2013 11:26, Sjoerd Huisman | Congressus wrote:
> I have implemented a ChoiceLoader, that detects the current website and
> calls the FileSystemLoader for that site first. Unfortunately, this
> ChoiceLoader is initiated only on application startup. Is there a way to
> redirect between multiple template folders per request?
You can make a custom loader that looks at your `g` object to decide on
further things if you want.  Should be fairly straightforward to write.

Regards,
Armin

Re: [flask] Per request, change template folders

Bruno Rocha
2013-07-30 @ 20:26
I am also interested on that, I would like to have multi-theme support so I
can set current theme in settings or db and check it per request. In this
case theme would be a folder under templates. i.e:  templates/bootstrap or
templates/foundation etc..

I am in doubt on what to do with Blueprints themes, maybe I can iterate
over app.blueprints and change its template_folder?

Tks.

---
Bruno Rocha

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Armin Ronacher <armin.ronacher@active-4.com
> wrote:

> Hi,
> On 30/07/2013 11:26, Sjoerd Huisman | Congressus wrote:
> > I have implemented a ChoiceLoader, that detects the current website and
> > calls the FileSystemLoader for that site first. Unfortunately, this
> > ChoiceLoader is initiated only on application startup. Is there a way to
> > redirect between multiple template folders per request?
> You can make a custom loader that looks at your `g` object to decide on
> further things if you want.  Should be fairly straightforward to write.
> Regards,
> Armin

Re: [flask] Per request, change template folders

Philippe Ndiaye
2013-07-30 @ 20:35
Hi, Bruno

Concerning the theme system, another method is to set a field theme_path in
your User (or another entity) table and then store the themes somewhere in
your filesystem, say template_folder. Once this will be done, you can build
a Jinja function get_layout() which will return the layout corresponding to
the current user or site.

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 10:26 PM, Bruno Rocha <rochacbruno@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am also interested on that, I would like to have multi-theme support so
> I can set current theme in settings or db and check it per request. In this
> case theme would be a folder under templates. i.e:  templates/bootstrap or
> templates/foundation etc..
> I am in doubt on what to do with Blueprints themes, maybe I can iterate
> over app.blueprints and change its template_folder?
> Tks.
> ---
> Bruno Rocha
> http://github.com/rochacbruno
> On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Armin Ronacher <
> armin.ronacher@active-4.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> On 30/07/2013 11:26, Sjoerd Huisman | Congressus wrote:
>> > I have implemented a ChoiceLoader, that detects the current website and
>> > calls the FileSystemLoader for that site first. Unfortunately, this
>> > ChoiceLoader is initiated only on application startup. Is there a way to
>> > redirect between multiple template folders per request?
>> You can make a custom loader that looks at your `g` object to decide on
>> further things if you want.  Should be fairly straightforward to write.
>> Regards,
>> Armin

Regards,
*Philippe Thécou NDIAYE*
IT Student @ SUPINFO Lyon
Linux Sysadmin  & Python programmer

Re: [flask] Per request, change template folders

Owein Reese
2013-07-31 @ 03:21
Have you looked at flask-split? It is supposedly for A/B testing but could
give you starting ideas. There's also flask-theme but I haven't looked into
it very deeply so can not recommend it.
On Jul 30, 2013 4:28 PM, "Bruno Rocha" <rochacbruno@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am also interested on that, I would like to have multi-theme support so
> I can set current theme in settings or db and check it per request. In this
> case theme would be a folder under templates. i.e:  templates/bootstrap or
> templates/foundation etc..
> I am in doubt on what to do with Blueprints themes, maybe I can iterate
> over app.blueprints and change its template_folder?
> Tks.
> ---
> Bruno Rocha
> http://github.com/rochacbruno
> On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Armin Ronacher <
> armin.ronacher@active-4.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> On 30/07/2013 11:26, Sjoerd Huisman | Congressus wrote:
>> > I have implemented a ChoiceLoader, that detects the current website and
>> > calls the FileSystemLoader for that site first. Unfortunately, this
>> > ChoiceLoader is initiated only on application startup. Is there a way to
>> > redirect between multiple template folders per request?
>> You can make a custom loader that looks at your `g` object to decide on
>> further things if you want.  Should be fairly straightforward to write.
>> Regards,
>> Armin

Re: [flask] Per request, change template folders

Sjoerd Huisman | Congressus
2013-08-01 @ 15:13
Thanks for all your replies;

ð  The before_request method does not work, as the template folders are
loaded upon application start-up, not request start-up.

ð  A custom loader that looks at the g object will therefore also not
work, once the application is loaded, you cannot change the order anymore

ð  It could be an interesting idea to determine the template based on a
function, but then you have to implement this function in every end-point.
I’m hoping it can be done centralised..

ð  Flask-theming looks interesting, but the endpoint templates remain the
same. It is only the extended templates or other imports you can theme.
Not the endpoint template itself (where I’m looking for)..

Are there some other idea’s?

Best,

Sjoerd Huisman

From: flask@librelist.com [mailto:flask@librelist.com] On Behalf Of Owein Reese
Sent: woensdag 31 juli 2013 05:21
To: flask@librelist.com
Subject: Re: [flask] Per request, change template folders

Have you looked at flask-split? It is supposedly for A/B testing but could
give you starting ideas. There's also flask-theme but I haven't looked
into it very deeply so can not recommend it.

On Jul 30, 2013 4:28 PM, "Bruno Rocha" <rochacbruno@gmail.com> wrote:

I am also interested on that, I would like to have multi-theme support so
I can set current theme in settings or db and check it per request. In
this case theme would be a folder under templates. i.e:
templates/bootstrap or templates/foundation etc..

I am in doubt on what to do with Blueprints themes, maybe I can iterate
over app.blueprints and change its template_folder?

Tks.

---

Bruno Rocha

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Armin Ronacher
<armin.ronacher@active-4.com> wrote:

Hi,

On 30/07/2013 11:26, Sjoerd Huisman | Congressus wrote:
> I have implemented a ChoiceLoader, that detects the current website and
> calls the FileSystemLoader for that site first. Unfortunately, this
> ChoiceLoader is initiated only on application startup. Is there a way to
> redirect between multiple template folders per request?

You can make a custom loader that looks at your `g` object to decide on
further things if you want.  Should be fairly straightforward to write.

Regards,
Armin

Re: [flask] Per request, change template folders

Ron DuPlain
2013-08-01 @ 23:26
This gist shows how to select a template based on some criteria, with a default.

-Ron

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 11:13 AM, Sjoerd Huisman | Congressus
<sjoerd@congressus.nl> wrote:
> Thanks for all your replies;
> ð  The before_request method does not work, as the template folders are
> loaded upon application start-up, not request start-up.
> ð  A custom loader that looks at the g object will therefore also not work,
> once the application is loaded, you cannot change the order anymore
> ð  It could be an interesting idea to determine the template based on a
> function, but then you have to implement this function in every end-point.
> I’m hoping it can be done centralised..
> ð  Flask-theming looks interesting, but the endpoint templates remain the
> same. It is only the extended templates or other imports you can theme. Not
> the endpoint template itself (where I’m looking for)..
> Are there some other idea’s?
> Best,
> Sjoerd Huisman
> From: flask@librelist.com [mailto:flask@librelist.com] On Behalf Of Owein
> Reese
> Sent: woensdag 31 juli 2013 05:21
> To: flask@librelist.com
> Subject: Re: [flask] Per request, change template folders
> Have you looked at flask-split? It is supposedly for A/B testing but could
> give you starting ideas. There's also flask-theme but I haven't looked into
> it very deeply so can not recommend it.
> On Jul 30, 2013 4:28 PM, "Bruno Rocha" <rochacbruno@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am also interested on that, I would like to have multi-theme support so I
> can set current theme in settings or db and check it per request. In this
> case theme would be a folder under templates. i.e:  temp lates/bootstrap or
> templates/foundation etc..
> I am in doubt on what to do with Blueprints themes, maybe I can iterate over
> app.blueprints and change its template_folder?
> Tks.
> ---
> Bruno Rocha
> http://github.com/rochacbruno
> On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Armin Ronacher
> <armin.ronacher@active-4.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> On 30/07/2013 11:26, Sjoerd Huisman | Congressus wrote:
>> I have implemented a ChoiceLoader, that detects the current website and
>> calls the FileSystemLoader for that site first. Unfortunately, this
>> ChoiceLoader is initiated only on application startup. Is there a way to
>> redirect between multiple template folders per request?
> You can make a custom loader that looks at your `g` object to decide on
> further things if you want.  Should be fairly straightforward to write.
> Regards,
> Armin

Re: [flask] Per request, change template folders

Sjoerd Huisman | Congressus
2013-08-05 @ 12:13
Thanks Ron - your suggestion worked!

Met vriendelijke groet,

To: flask@librelist.com
Subject: Re: [flask] Per request, change template folders

-Ron

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 11:13 AM, Sjoerd Huisman | Congressus
<sjoerd@congressus.nl> wrote:
> Thanks for all your replies;
> ð  The before_request method does not work, as the template folders
> are loaded upon application start-up, not request start-up.
> ð  A custom loader that looks at the g object will therefore also not
> work, once the application is loaded, you cannot change the order
> anymore
> ð  It could be an interesting idea to determine the template based on
> a function, but then you have to implement this function in every end-point.
> I’m hoping it can be done centralised..
> ð  Flask-theming looks interesting, but the endpoint templates remain
> the same. It is only the extended templates or other imports you can
> theme. Not the endpoint template itself (where I’m looking for)..
> Are there some other idea’s?
> Best,
> Sjoerd Huisman
> From: flask@librelist.com [mailto:flask@librelist.com] On Behalf Of
> Owein Reese
> Sent: woensdag 31 juli 2013 05:21
> To: flask@librelist.com
> Subject: Re: [flask] Per request, change template folders
> Have you looked at flask-split? It is supposedly for A/B testing but
> could give you starting ideas. There's also flask-theme but I haven't
> looked into it very deeply so can not recommend it.
> On Jul 30, 2013 4:28 PM, "Bruno Rocha" <rochacbruno@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am also interested on that, I would like to have multi-theme support
> so I can set current theme in settings or db and check it per request.
> In this case theme would be a folder under templates. i.e:  temp
> lates/bootstrap or templates/foundation etc..
> I am in doubt on what to do with Blueprints themes, maybe I can
> iterate over app.blueprints and change its template_folder?
> Tks.
> ---
> Bruno Rocha
> http://github.com/rochacbruno
> On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Armin Ronacher
> <armin.ronacher@active-4.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> On 30/07/2013 11:26, Sjoerd Huisman | Congressus wrote:
>> I have implemented a ChoiceLoader, that detects the current website
>> and calls the FileSystemLoader for that site first. Unfortunately,
>> this ChoiceLoader is initiated only on application startup. Is there
>> a way to redirect between multiple template folders per request?
> You can make a custom loader that looks at your `g` object to decide
> on further things if you want.  Should be fairly straightforward to write.
> Regards,
> Armin

Re: [flask] Per request, change template folders

Philippe Ndiaye
2013-07-30 @ 11:43
Hi,

I think the before_request decorator can be used for this.

@yourapplication.before_request
def before_request():
    # what you want to do

This will run the #what you want to do part before each request. Hope it
will help :)

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Sjoerd Huisman | Congressus <
sjoerd@congressus.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm running Flask to host multiple websites. We have a common template
> folder as a fallback, and if specific websites have specific requirements,
> we want to overwrite these with specific templates.
> Our folder structures looks like;
> - templates
> - - common
> - - - a.html
> - - - b.html
> - - website1
> - - - a.html
> I have implemented a ChoiceLoader, that detects the current website and
> calls the FileSystemLoader for that site first. Unfortunately, this
> ChoiceLoader is initiated only on application startup. Is there a way to
> redirect between multiple template folders per request?
> Thanks****