Extend Request Timeout Time

Extend Request Timeout Time

Norbert Markowicz
2013-05-03 @ 21:50
I'm using flask in order to have the client kick of a search (via ajax) on
the server side and wait for the results to come back and be displayed.
The issue is that the search may take up to a few minutes, but the is
interrupted after 60 seconds or so by another automatic GET request from
the client (with a response of 500).

Is the issue on the server side or with the AJAX call?

Thanks!

Re: [flask] Extend Request Timeout Time

Kurtis Mullins
2013-05-03 @ 21:58
I'm not sure where the issue is landing (I'm still a Flask newbie) but I'd
recommend Celery for this type of a thing.

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 5:50 PM, Norbert Markowicz <
norbert.markowicz@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm using flask in order to have the client kick of a search (via ajax) on
> the server side and wait for the results to come back and be displayed.
> The issue is that the search may take up to a few minutes, but the is
> interrupted after 60 seconds or so by another automatic GET request from
> the client (with a response of 500).
> Is the issue on the server side or with the AJAX call?
> Thanks!

Re: [flask] Extend Request Timeout Time

Alex Ogier
2013-05-04 @ 20:25
If you're trying to have a single HTTP request that lasts 60 seconds, you
may encounter a lot of problems. Proxy servers may have trouble with that,
and browsers have limitations on request duration. My guess is that the
limitation you are encountering is a browser or Ajax library timeout. If
it's possible, I would recommend rearchitecting the application, to have
one POST request that kicks off a background task that does the search and
immediately returns a HTTP 200 response with some kind of search ID, then
have a new API that takes a search ID and returns the status and any
possible results that you can poll every few seconds until the search
completes. As Kurtis mentions, the background task could be handled with
Celery and Redis, or any other way you think is appropriate.

Best,
Alex Ogier

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 5:58 PM, Kurtis Mullins <kurtis.mullins@gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm not sure where the issue is landing (I'm still a Flask newbie) but I'd
> recommend Celery for this type of a thing.
> http://www.celeryproject.org/
> On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 5:50 PM, Norbert Markowicz <
> norbert.markowicz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm using flask in order to have the client kick of a search (via ajax)
>> on the server side and wait for the results to come back and be displayed.
>> The issue is that the search may take up to a few minutes, but the is
>> interrupted after 60 seconds or so by another automatic GET request from
>> the client (with a response of 500).
>> Is the issue on the server side or with the AJAX call?
>> Thanks!

Re: [flask] Extend Request Timeout Time

David Van Duzer
2013-05-04 @ 20:40
Technically an HTTP 202 would be more appropriate here, but I'm not sure
how widely implemented that is in third party client libraries.

On May 4, 2013, at 13:25, Alex Ogier <alex.ogier@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you're trying to have a single HTTP request that lasts 60 seconds,
you may encounter a lot of problems. Proxy servers may have trouble with
that, and browsers have limitations on request duration. My guess is that
the limitation you are encountering is a browser or Ajax library timeout.
If it's possible, I would recommend rearchitecting the application, to
have one POST request that kicks off a background task that does the
search and immediately returns a HTTP 200 response with some kind of
search ID, then have a new API that takes a search ID and returns the
status and any possible results that you can poll every few seconds until
the search completes. As Kurtis mentions, the background task could be
handled with Celery and Redis, or any other way you think is appropriate.
> Best,
> Alex Ogier
> On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 5:58 PM, Kurtis Mullins <kurtis.mullins@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm not sure where the issue is landing (I'm still a Flask newbie) but
I'd recommend Celery for this type of a thing.
>> http://www.celeryproject.org/
>> On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 5:50 PM, Norbert Markowicz
<norbert.markowicz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm using flask in order to have the client kick of a search (via
ajax) on the server side and wait for the results to come back and be
displayed.
>>> The issue is that the search may take up to a few minutes, but the is
interrupted after 60 seconds or so by another automatic GET request from
the client (with a response of 500).
>>> Is the issue on the server side or with the AJAX call?
>>> Thanks!

Re: [flask] Extend Request Timeout Time

Dave Shawley
2013-05-14 @ 11:45
I'll agree that re-architecting the application model is the way to go
here.  This long-standing query is best represented by a server-side
resource.  Depending on what you are really doing outside of the single
query, you might want to investigate other techniques such as HTTP
streaming or Web Sockets (if your environment allows).

I think that I would favor a "201 Created" with a Location header that
directs the client to the new resource.  Basically, the POST is asking the
server to create a resource to represent the results of the outstanding
query.  The new resource is what the Location header locates.  The client
should issue a GET on the new resource to retrieve the query results.  If
the results are not ready yet, the server could respond with a "408
Request Timeout" and include a "Retry-After" header.

There is a lesson here for ambitious system architects: the most dangerous
enemy of a better solution is an existing codebase that is just good
enough. -- Eric S. Raymond.

On May 4, 2013, at 4:40 PM, David Van Duzer <dvd@tennica.net> wrote:

> Technically an HTTP 202 would be more appropriate here, but I'm not sure
how widely implemented that is in third party client libraries.
> On May 4, 2013, at 13:25, Alex Ogier <alex.ogier@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you're trying to have a single HTTP request that lasts 60 seconds,
you may encounter a lot of problems. Proxy servers may have trouble with
that, and browsers have limitations on request duration. My guess is that
the limitation you are encountering is a browser or Ajax library timeout.
If it's possible, I would recommend rearchitecting the application, to
have one POST request that kicks off a background task that does the
search and immediately returns a HTTP 200 response with some kind of
search ID, then have a new API that takes a search ID and returns t he
status and any possible results that you can poll every few seconds until
the search completes. As Kurtis mentions, the background task could be
handled with Celery and Redis, or any other way you think is appropriate.
>> Best,
>> Alex Ogier
>> On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 5:58 PM, Kurtis Mullins
<kurtis.mullins@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm not sure where the issue is landing (I'm still a Flask newbie) but
I'd recommend Celery for this type of a thing.
>> http://www.celeryproject.org/
>> On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 5:50 PM, Norbert Markowicz
<norbert.markowicz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm using flask in order to have the client kick of a search (via ajax)
on the server side and wait for the results to come back and be displayed.
>> The issue is that the search may take up to a few minutes, but the is
interrupted after 60 seconds or so by another automatic GET request from
the client (with a response of 500).
>> Is the issue on the server side or with the AJAX call?
>> Thanks!