I'm writing a book on Flask -- suggestions wanted

I'm writing a book on Flask -- suggestions wanted

2013-05-23 @ 05:36
I'm not an expert, but I've spent enough time looking for best practices
for various development patterns that I thought a book was in order. This
whole summer is available to me, so I'm writing a book that will help new
Flask developers learn more advanced patterns that are out of the scope of
the tutorial in the documentation.

I wrote a little about what I'm doing here:

If you have anything you think should be covered in a book like this,
please let me know!

Also, I plan on including interviews with developers using Flask in
real-world applications. If you have a web app in production that is built
with Flask, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks,

Nathan M
2013-05-23 @ 06:12
Is it going to be 'opensource' ? If so, what about using a github wiki and
then push it on the flask repo ?
Le 23 mai 2013 07:37, "Robert Picard" <mail@robert.io> a écrit :

> I'm not an expert, but I've spent enough time looking for best practices
> for various development patterns that I thought a book was in order. This
> whole summer is available to me, so I'm writing a book that will help new
> Flask developers learn more advanced patterns that are out of the scope of
> the tutorial in the documentation.
> I wrote a little about what I'm doing here:
> http://robert.io/blog/2013/05/22/im-writing-a-book-on-flask/
> If you have anything you think should be covered in a book like this,
> please let me know!
> Also, I plan on including interviews with developers using Flask in
> real-world applications. If you have a web app in production that is built
> with Flask, I'd love to hear from you.
> Thanks,
> http://robert.io

2013-05-23 @ 06:42
Nope, I'm planning on self-publishing it as a commercial product. I
definitely thought about going the open source route, but that just
wouldn't be worth the time investment for me.

---- On Thu, 23 May 2013 01:12:42 -0500 Nathan
M<feydaykyn@gmail.com> wrote ----

Is it going to be 'opensource' ? If so, what about using a github wiki and
then push it on the flask repo ?
 Le 23 mai 2013 07:37, "Robert Picard" <mail@robert.io> a écrit :
 I'm not an expert, but I've spent enough time looking for best practices
for various development patterns that I thought a book was in order. This
whole summer is available to me, so I'm writing a book that will help new
Flask developers learn more advanced patterns that are out of the scope of
the tutorial in the documentation.

I wrote a little about what I'm doing here:

If you have anything you think should be covered in a book like this,
please let me know!

Also, I plan on including interviews with developers using Flask in
real-world applications. If you have a web app in production that is built
with Flask, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks,

dorian i
2013-05-23 @ 10:25
   - Saas with per-tenant subdomain and per-tenant custom domain

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 8:42 AM, Robert Picard <mail@robert.io> wrote:

> Nope, I'm planning on self-publishing it as a commercial product. I
> definitely thought about going the open source route, but that just
> wouldn't be worth the time investment for me.
> ---- On Thu, 23 May 2013 01:12:42 -0500 *Nathan
M<feydaykyn@gmail.com>*wrote ----
> Is it going to be 'opensource' ? If so, what about using a github wiki and
> then push it on the flask repo ?
> Le 23 mai 2013 07:37, "Robert Picard" <mail@robert.io> a écrit :
> I'm not an expert, but I've spent enough time looking for best practices
> for various development patterns that I thought a book was in order. This
> whole summer is available to me, so I'm writing a book that will help new
> Flask developers learn more advanced patterns that are out of the scope of
> the tutorial in the documentation.
> I wrote a little about what I'm doing here:
> http://robert.io/blog/2013/05/22/im-writing-a-book-on-flask/
> If you have anything you think should be covered in a book like this,
> please let me know!
> Also, I plan on including interviews with developers using Flask in
> real-world applications. If you have a web app in production that is built
> with Flask, I'd love to hear from you.
> Thanks,
> http://robert.io

2013-05-23 @ 11:33
That one is actually on my list too. I'm leaning toward using an example
SaaS application throughout the book and my current idea is some sort of
Highrise clone. Now that I type that, I'm beginning to wonder if I
shouldn't call the book something like "Building a SaaS app with Flask"
and keep the focus there.

Does anyone have a thought on that note?

---- On Thu, 23 May 2013 05:25:21 -0500 dorian
i<dorian.hoxha@gmail.com> wrote ----

Saas with per-tenant subdomain and per-tenant custom domain

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 8:42 AM, Robert Picard <mail@robert.io> wrote:
 Nope, I'm planning on self-publishing it as a commercial product. I
definitely thought about going the open source route, but that just
wouldn't be worth the time investment for me.

---- On Thu, 23 May 2013 01:12:42 -0500 Nathan
M<feydaykyn@gmail.com> wrote ----

Is it going to be 'opensource' ? If so, what about using a github wiki and
then push it on the flask repo ?
 Le 23 mai 2013 07:37, "Robert Picard" <mail@robert.io> a écrit :
 I'm not an expert, but I've spent enough time looking for best practices
for various development patterns that I thought a book was in order. This
whole summer is available to me, so I'm writing a book that will help new
Flask developers learn more advanced patterns that are out of the scope of
the tutorial in the documentation.

I wrote a little about what I'm doing here:

If you have anything you think should be covered in a book like this,
please let me know!

Also, I plan on including interviews with developers using Flask in
real-world applications. If you have a web app in production that is built
with Flask, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks,

Nico Gevers
2013-05-24 @ 05:56
It really depends what you want your focus to be. For me building a SaaS
app isn't the important factor. Building a good Flask app is. Some people
might not be interested in SaaS (maybe they're building some corporate
behind-the-firewall app) and might be put off by a title that includes SaaS
specifically. Then again, for those who want to build SaaS apps, it might
be more appealing.

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Robert Picard <mail@robert.io> wrote:

> That one is actually on my list too. I'm leaning toward using an example
> SaaS application throughout the book and my current idea is some sort of
> Highrise clone. Now that I type that, I'm beginning to wonder if I
> shouldn't call the book something like "Building a SaaS app with Flask" and
> keep the focus there.
> Does anyone have a thought on that note?
> ---- On Thu, 23 May 2013 05:25:21 -0500 *dorian
i<dorian.hoxha@gmail.com>*wrote ----
>    - Saas with per-tenant subdomain and per-tenant custom domain
>    -
> On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 8:42 AM, Robert Picard <mail@robert.io> wrote:
> Nope, I'm planning on self-publishing it as a commercial product. I
> definitely thought about going the open source route, but that just
> wouldn't be worth the time investment for me.
> ---- On Thu, 23 May 2013 01:12:42 -0500 *Nathan M<feydaykyn@gmail.co
m<feydaykyn@gmail.com>
> >* wrote ----
> Is it going to be 'opensource' ? If so, what about using a github wiki and
> then push it on the flask repo ?
> Le 23 mai 2013 07:37, "Robert Picard" <mail@robert.io> a écrit :
> I'm not an expert, but I've spent enough time looking for best practices
> for various development patterns that I thought a book was in order. This
> whole summer is available to me, so I'm writing a book that will help new
> Flask developers learn more advanced patterns that are out of the scope of
> the tutorial in the documentation.
> I wrote a little about what I'm doing here:
> http://robert.io/blog/2013/05/22/im-writing-a-book-on-flask/
> If you have anything you think should be covered in a book like this,
> please let me know!
> Also, I plan on including interviews with developers using Flask in
> real-world applications. If you have a web app in production that is built
> with Flask, I'd love to hear from you.
> Thanks,
> http://robert.io

Dave Shawley
2013-05-24 @ 11:42
I agree with Nico on this one.  Using an application as a case study
throughout the book is nice.  It provides a consistent backdrop for what
you are trying to communicate.  I wouldn't put it in the title though
unless you are planning on writing a very targeted book.  "Real World
Flask" or something like that might be a better title.  Don't concentrate
a lot on the application that you are building, just use it as the
backdrop for exposing and conquering the really interesting issues.

Personally, I would love to see a concentration on how Flask can be used
as the application layer working together with other best in breed
libraries and technologies.  I'm thinking of stuff like Kenneth Reitz's
requests for server-to-server communications, celery for task management,
etc.  Then touch on some other seldom hit topics like diagnostic log
management (log files, loggly, sentry, etc.) or how to manage upgrades of
the application with introducing downtime.  You know, real world scenarios
that a service provider has to deal with.

I guess that makes it less about Flask and more about how to build world
class applications with Python that happen to use Flask as one of the many
parts.  That is part of my wish list =)

- dave

There is a lesson here for ambitious system architects: the most dangerous
enemy of a better solution is an existing codebase that is just good
enough. -- Eric S. Raymond.

On May 24, 2013, at 1:56 AM, Nico Gevers <nico@squire-labs.com> wrote:

> It really depends what you want your focus to be. For me building a SaaS
app isn't the important factor. Building a good Flask app is. Some people
might not be interested in SaaS (maybe they're building some corporate
behind-the-firewall app) and might be put off by a title that includes
SaaS specifically. Then again, for those who want to build SaaS apps, it
might be more appealing.
> On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Robert Picard <mail@robert.io> wrote:
> That one is actually on my list too. I'm leaning toward using an example
SaaS application throughout the book and my current idea is some sort of
Highrise clone. Now that I type that, I'm beginning to wonder if I
shouldn't call the book something like "Building a SaaS app with Flask"
and keep the focus there.
> Does anyone have a thought on that note?
> ---- On Thu, 23 May 2013 05:25:21 -0500 dorian i<dorian.hoxha@gmail.com>
wrote ----
> Saas with per-tenant subdomain and per-tenant custom domain
> On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 8:42 AM, Robert Picard <mail@robert.io> wrote:
> Nope, I'm planning on self-publishing it as a commercial product. I
definitely thought about going the open source route, but that just
wouldn't be worth the time investment for me.
> ---- On Thu, 23 May 2013 01:12:42 -0500 Nathan M<feydaykyn@gmail.co m>
wrote ----
> Is it going to be 'opensource' ? If so, what about using a github wiki
and then push it on the flask repo ?
> Le 23 mai 2013 07:37, "Robert Picard" <mail@robert.io> a écrit :
> I'm not an expert, but I've spent enough time looking for best practices
for various development patterns that I thought a book was in order. This
whole summer is available to me, so I'm writing a book that will help new
Flask developers learn more advanced patterns that are out of the scope of
the tutorial in the documentation.
> I wrote a little about what I'm doing here:
> If you have anything you think should be covered in a book like this,
please let me know!
> Also, I plan on including interviews with developers using Flask in
real-world applications. If you have a web app in production that is built
with Flask, I'd love to hear from you.
> Thanks,
> http://robert.io

2013-05-24 @ 17:18
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. The more I think about it, the more I
agree with you and Nico. I think I'll cover a more general theme while
using the SaaS example app as a lens through which to teach it. I don't
want to put myself in an arbitrary box while writing, and I certainly
don't want to alienate people who might not be working on a SaaS app, but
could still benefit from the book.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

---- On Fri, 24 May 2013 06:42:46 -0500 Dave
Shawley<daveshawley@gmail.com> wrote ----

I agree with Nico on this one.  Using an application as a case study
throughout the book is nice.  It provides a consistent backdrop for what
you are trying to communicate.  I wouldn't put it in the title though
unless you are planning on writing a very targeted book.  "Real World
Flask" or something like that might be a better title.  Don't concentrate
a lot on the application that you are building, just use it as the
backdrop for exposing and conquering the really interesting issues.

Personally, I would love to see a concentration on how Flask can be used
as the application layer working together with other best in breed
libraries and technologies.  I'm thinking of stuff like Kenneth Reitz's
requests for server-to-server communications, celery for task management,
etc.  Then touch on some other seldom hit topics like diagnostic log
management (log files, loggly, sentry, etc.) or how to manage upgrades of
the application with introducing downtime.  You know, real world scenarios
that a service provider has to deal with.

I guess that makes it less about Flask and more about how to build world
class applications with Python that happen to use Flask as one of the many
parts.  That is part of my wish list =)

- dave

There is a lesson here for ambitious system architects: the most dangerous
enemy of a better solution is an existing codebase that is just good
enough. -- Eric S. Raymond.

On May 24, 2013, at 1:56 AM, Nico Gevers <nico@squire-labs.com> wrote:

It really depends what you want your focus to be. For me building a SaaS
app isn't the important factor. Building a good Flask app is. Some people
might not be interested in SaaS (maybe they're building some corporate
behind-the-firewall app) and might be put off by a title that includes
SaaS specifically. Then again, for those who want to build SaaS apps, it
might be more appealing.

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Robert Picard <mail@robert.io> wrote:
 That one is actually on my list too. I'm leaning toward using an example
SaaS application throughout the book and my current idea is some sort of
Highrise clone. Now that I type that, I'm beginning to wonder if I
shouldn't call the book something like "Building a SaaS app with Flask"
and keep the focus there.

Does anyone have a thought on that note?

---- On Thu, 23 May 2013 05:25:21 -0500 dorian
i<dorian.hoxha@gmail.com> wrote ----

Saas with per-tenant subdomain and per-tenant custom domain

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 8:42 AM, Robert Picard <mail@robert.io> wrote:

Nope, I'm planning on self-publishing it as a commercial product. I
definitely thought about going the open source route, but that just
wouldn't be worth the time investment for me.

---- On Thu, 23 May 2013 01:12:42 -0500 Nathan M<feydaykyn@gmail.co
m> wrote ----

Is it going to be 'opensource' ? If so, what about using a github wiki and
then push it on the flask repo ?
 Le 23 mai 2013 07:37, "Robert Picard" <mail@robert.io> a écrit :
 I'm not an expert, but I've spent enough time looking for best practices
for various development patterns that I thought a book was in order. This
whole summer is available to me, so I'm writing a book that will help new
Flask developers learn more advanced patterns that are out of the scope of
the tutorial in the documentation.

I wrote a little about what I'm doing here:

If you have anything you think should be covered in a book like this,
please let me know!

Also, I plan on including interviews with developers using Flask in
real-world applications. If you have a web app in production that is built
with Flask, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks,

Chris Hancock
2013-05-26 @ 12:12
Any chance of an extreme discount for an extreme pre-order? :-D

On 24 May 2013 18:18, Robert Picard <mail@robert.io> wrote:

> Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. The more I think about it, the more I
> agree with you and Nico. I think I'll cover a more general theme while
> using the SaaS example app as a lens through which to teach it. I don't
> want to put myself in an arbitrary box while writing, and I certainly don't
> want to alienate people who might not be working on a SaaS app, but could
> still benefit from the book.
> Thanks for the suggestions guys!
> http://robert.io
> ---- On Fri, 24 May 2013 06:42:46 -0500 *Dave Shawley<
> daveshawley@gmail.com>* wrote ----
> I agree with Nico on this one.  Using an application as a case study
> throughout the book is nice.  It provides a consistent backdrop for what
> you are trying to communicate.  I wouldn't put it in the title though
> unless you are planning on writing a very targeted book.  "Real World
> Flask" or something like that might be a better title.  Don't concentrate a
> lot on the application that you are building, just use it as the backdrop
> for exposing and conquering the really interesting issues.
> Personally, I would love to see a concentration on how Flask can be used
> as the application layer working together with other best in breed
> libraries and technologies.  I'm thinking of stuff like Kenneth Reitz's
> requests for server-to-server communications, celery for task management,
> etc.  Then touch on some other seldom hit topics like diag nostic log
> management (log files, loggly, sentry, etc.) or how to manage upgrades of
> the application with introducing downtime.  You know, real world scenarios
> that a service provider has to deal with.
> I guess that makes it less about Flask and more about how to build world
> class applications with Python that happen to use Flask as one of the many
> parts.  That is part of my wish list =)
> - dave
> There is a lesson here for ambitious system architects: the most dangerous
> enemy of a better solution is an existing codebase that is just good
> enough. -- Eric S. Raymond.
> On May 24, 2013, at 1:56 AM, Nico Gevers <nico@squire-labs.com> wrote:
> It really depends what you want your focus to be. For me building a SaaS
> app isn't the important factor. Building a good Flask app is. Some people
> might not be interested in SaaS (maybe they're building some corporate
> behind-the-firewall app) and might be put off by a title that includes SaaS
> specifically. Then again, for those who want to build SaaS apps, it might
> be more appealing.
> On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Robert Picard <mail@robert.io> wrote:
> That one is actually on my list too. I'm leaning toward using an example
> SaaS application throughout the book and my current idea is some sort of
> Highrise clone. Now that I type that, I'm beginning to wonder if I
> shouldn't call the book something like "Building a SaaS app with Flask" and
> keep the focus there.
> Does anyone have a thought on that note?
> ---- On Thu, 23 May 2013 05:25:21 -0500 *dorian
i<dorian.hoxha@gmail.com>*wrote ----
>    - Saas with per-tenant subdomain and per-tenant custom domain
>    -
> On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 8:42 AM, Robert Picard <mail@robert.io> wrote:
> Nope, I'm planning on self-publishing it as a commercial product. I
> definitely thought about going the open source route, but that just
> wouldn't be worth the time investment for me.
> ---- On Thu, 23 May 2013 01:12:42 -0500 *Nathan M< <feydaykyn@gmail.com>
> feydaykyn@gmail.co m>* wrote ----
> Is it going to be 'opensource' ? If so, what about using a github wiki and
> then push it on the flask repo ?
> Le 23 mai 2013 07:37, "Robert Picard" <mail@robert.io> a écrit :
> I'm not an expert, but I've spent enough time looking for best practices
> for various development patterns that I thought a book was in order. This
> whole summer is available to me, so I'm writing a book that will help new
> Flask developers learn more advanced patterns that are out of the scope of
> the tutorial in the documentation.
> I wrote a little about what I'm doing here:
> http://robert.io/blog/2013/05/22/im-writing-a-book-on-flask/
> If you have anything you think should be covered in a book like this,
> please let me know!
> Also, I plan on including interviews with developers using Flask in
> real-world applications. If you have a web app in production that is built
> with Flask, I'd love to hear from you.
> Thanks,
>  Robert Picard
> http://robert.io/

2013-05-26 @ 16:19
Haha, it's a little too early I think. I'll think about setting up a
pre-order when I get a little closer to the launch. If you sign-up to the
mailing list you'll be one of the first to hear about it!

---- On Sun, 26 May 2013 07:12:28 -0500 Chris Hancock
<chs2048@gmail.com> wrote ----

Any chance of an extreme discount for an extreme pre-order? :-D

On 24 May 2013 18:18, Robert Picard <mail@robert.io> wrote:
 Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. The more I think about it, the more I
agree with you and Nico. I think I'll cover a more general theme while
using the SaaS example app as a lens through which to teach it. I don't
want to put myself in an arbitrary box while writing, and I certainly
don't want to alienate people who might not be working on a SaaS app, but
could still benefit from the book.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

---- On Fri, 24 May 2013 06:42:46 -0500 Dave
Shawley<daveshawley@gmail.com> wrote ----

I agree with Nico on this one.  Using an application as a case study
throughout the book is nice.  It provides a consistent backdrop for what
you are trying to communicate.  I wouldn't put it in the title though
unless you are planning on writing a very targeted book.  "Real World
Flask" or something like that might be a better title.  Don't concentrate
a lot on the application that you are building, just use it as the
backdrop for exposing and conquering the really interesting issues.

Personally, I would love to see a concentration on how Flask can be used
as the application layer working together with other best in breed
libraries and technologies.  I'm thinking of stuff like Kenneth Reitz's
requests for server-to-server communications, celery for task management,
etc.  Then touch on some other seldom hit topics like diag nostic log
management (log files, loggly, sentry, etc.) or how to manage upgrades of
the application with introducing downtime.  You know, real world scenarios
that a service provider has to deal with.

I guess that makes it less about Flask and more about how to build world
class applications with Python that happen to use Flask as one of the many
parts.  That is part of my wish list =)

- dave

There is a lesson here for ambitious system architects: the most dangerous
enemy of a better solution is an existing codebase that is just good
enough. -- Eric S. Raymond.

On May 24, 2013, at 1:56 AM, Nico Gevers <nico@squire-labs.com> wrote:

It really depends what you want your focus to be. For me building a SaaS
app isn't the important factor. Building a good Flask app is. Some people
might not be interested in SaaS (maybe they're building some corporate
behind-the-firewall app) and might be put off by a title that includes
SaaS specifically. Then again, for those who want to build SaaS apps, it
might be more appealing.

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Robert Picard <mail@robert.io> wrote:

That one is actually on my list too. I'm leaning toward using an example
SaaS application throughout the book and my current idea is some sort of
Highrise clone. Now that I type that, I'm beginning to wonder if I
shouldn't call the book something like "Building a SaaS app with Flask"
and keep the focus there.

Does anyone have a thought on that note?

---- On Thu, 23 May 2013 05:25:21 -0500 dorian
i<dorian.hoxha@gmail.com> wrote ----

Saas with per-tenant subdomain and per-tenant custom domain

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 8:42 AM, Robert Picard <mail@robert.io> wrote:

Nope, I'm planning on self-publishing it as a commercial product. I
definitely thought about going the open source route, but that just
wouldn't be worth the time investment for me.

---- On Thu, 23 May 2013 01:12:42 -0500 Nathan M<feydaykyn@gmail.co
m> wrote ----

Is it going to be 'opensource' ? If so, what about using a github wiki and
then push it on the flask repo ?

Le 23 mai 2013 07:37, "Robert Picard" <mail@robert.io> a écrit :

I'm not an expert, but I've spent enough time looking for best practices
for various development patterns that I thought a book was in order. This
whole summer is available to me, so I'm writing a book that will help new
Flask developers learn more advanced patterns that are out of the scope of
the tutorial in the documentation.

I wrote a little about what I'm doing here:

If you have anything you think should be covered in a book like this,
please let me know!

Also, I plan on including interviews with developers using Flask in
real-world applications. If you have a web app in production that is built
with Flask, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks,

Harry Percival
2013-05-30 @ 09:54
Hi Robert,

Nice to meet a fellow book author!  I’m writing a book on TDD web
development for http://www.obeythetestinggoat.com/  -- still in its early
days, and based on Django, but you’re very welcome to take a look, for
inspiration, if you’re planning to include a mention of testing / TDD.
Also very happy to help out if you want someone to do a tech review of a
chapter on TDD (although I far from being a world expert!)

Also happy to share any tips and tricks I’ve learned (eg, use asciidoc!) –
my personal email is obeythetestinggoat@gmail.com

Another thing – have you thought of doing a kickstarter to raise some
money for the book?  The last person I know that was going to write a book
about web-dev did, and raised way more than I ever got given as an advance
by a “real publisher” --

With that said, do also get in touch if you want to be put in touch with a
“real publisher”.  My editor did mention something about flask the other
day...

HP

Harry Percival
Developer
harry@pythonanywhere.com

PythonAnywhere - a fully browser-based Python development and hosting environment
<http://www.pythonanywhere.com/>

PythonAnywhere LLP
17a Clerkenwell Road, London EC1M 5RD, UK
VAT No.: GB 893 5643 79
Registered in England and Wales as company number OC378414.
Registered address: 28 Ely Place, 3rd Floor, London EC1N 6TD, UK

From: Robert Picard
Sent: Sunday, May 26, 2013 5:19 PM
To: flask@librelist.com
Subject: Re: [flask] I'm writing a book on Flask -- suggestions wanted

Haha, it's a little too early I think. I'll think about setting up a
pre-order when I get a little closer to the launch. If you sign-up to the
mailing list you'll be one of the first to hear about it!

---- On Sun, 26 May 2013 07:12:28 -0500 Chris Hancock <chs2048@gmail.com>
wrote ----

Any chance of an extreme discount for an extreme pre-order? :-D

On 24 May 2013 18:18, Robert Picard <mail@robert.io> wrote:

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. The more I think about it, the more
I agree with you and Nico. I think I'll cover a more general theme while
using the SaaS example app as a lens through which to teach it. I don't
want to put myself in an arbitrary box while writing, and I certainly
don't want to alienate people who might not be working on a SaaS app, but
could still benefit from the book.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

---- On Fri, 24 May 2013 06:42:46 -0500 Dave
Shawley<daveshawley@gmail.com> wrote ----

I agree with Nico on this one.  Using an application as a case study
throughout the book is nice.  It provides a consistent backdrop for what
you are trying to communicate.  I wouldn't put it in the title though
unless you are planning on writing a very targeted book.  "Real World
Flask" or something like that might be a better title.  Don't concentrate
a lot on the application that you are building, just use it as the
backdrop for exposing and conquering the really interesting issues.

Personally, I would love to see a concentration on how Flask can be
used as the application layer working together with other best in breed
libraries and technologies.  I'm thinking of stuff like Kenneth Reitz's
requests for server-to-server communications, celery for task management,
etc.  Then touch on some other seldom hit topics like diag nostic log
management (log files, loggly, sentry, etc.) or how to manage upgrades of
the application with introducing downtime.  You know, real world scenarios
that a service provider has to deal with.

I guess that makes it less about Flask and more about how to build
world class applications with Python that happen to use Flask as one of
the many parts.  That is part of my wish list =)

- dave

There is a lesson here for ambitious system architects: the most
dangerous enemy of a better solution is an existing codebase that is just
good enough. -- Eric S. Raymond.

On May 24, 2013, at 1:56 AM, Nico Gevers <nico@squire-labs.com> wrote:

It really depends what you want your focus to be. For me building
a SaaS app isn't the important factor. Building a good Flask app is. Some
people might not be interested in SaaS (maybe they're building some
corporate behind-the-firewall app) and might be put off by a title that
includes SaaS specifically. Then again, for those who want to build SaaS
apps, it might be more appealing.

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Robert Picard <mail@robert.io> wrote:

That one is actually on my list too. I'm leaning toward using an
example SaaS application throughout the book and my current idea is some
sort of Highrise clone. Now that I type that, I'm beginning to wonder if I
shouldn't call the book something like "Building a SaaS app with Flask"
and keep the focus there.

Does anyone have a thought on that note?

---- On Thu, 23 May 2013 05:25:21 -0500 dorian
i<dorian.hoxha@gmail.com> wrote ----

a.. Saas with per-tenant subdomain and per-tenant custom domain
              b..

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 8:42 AM, Robert Picard <mail@robert.io> wrote:

Nope, I'm planning on self-publishing it as a commercial
product. I definitely thought about going the open source route, but that
just wouldn't be worth the time investment for me.

---- On Thu, 23 May 2013 01:12:42 -0500 Nathan
M<feydaykyn@gmail.co m> wrote ----

Is it going to be 'opensource' ? If so, what about using a
github wiki and then push it on the flask repo ?

Le 23 mai 2013 07:37, "Robert Picard" <mail@robert.io> a écrit :

I'm not an expert, but I've spent enough time looking
for best practices for various development patterns that I thought a book
was in order. This whole summer is available to me, so I'm writing a book
that will help new Flask developers learn more advanced patterns that are
out of the scope of the tutorial in the documentation.

I wrote a little about what I'm doing here:

If you have anything you think should be covered in a
book like this, please let me know!

Also, I plan on including interviews with developers
using Flask in real-world applications. If you have a web app in
production that is built with Flask, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks,

2013-05-30 @ 12:16
Thanks, I just sent you an email.

---- On Thu, 30 May 2013 04:54:17 -0500 Harry
Percival<harry@pythonanywhere.com> wrote ----

Hi Robert,

Nice to meet a fellow book author!  I’m writing a book on TDD web
development for http://www.obeythetestinggoat.com/  -- still in its early
days, and based on Django, but you’re very welcome to take a look, for
inspiration, if you’re planning to include a mention of testing / TDD.
Also very happy to help out if you want someone to do a tech review of a
chapter on TDD (although I far from being a world expert!)

Also happy to share any tips and tricks I’ve learned (eg, use asciidoc!)
– my personal email is obeythetestinggoat@gmail.com

Developer
harry@pythonanywhere.com

<http://www.pythonanywhere.com/>

PythonAnywhere LLP
17a Clerkenwell Road, London EC1M 5RD, UK
VAT No.: GB 893 5643 79
Registered in England and Wales as company number OC378414.
Registered address: 28 Ely Place, 3rd Floor, London EC1N 6TD, UK

From: Robert Picard
 Sent: Sunday, May 26, 2013 5:19 PM
 To: flask@librelist.com
 Subject: Re: [flask] I'm writing a book on Flask -- suggestions wanted

Haha, it's a little too early I think. I'll think about setting up a
pre-order when I get a little closer to the launch. If you sign-up to the
mailing list you'll be one of the first to hear about it!

---- On Sun, 26 May 2013 07:12:28 -0500 Chris Hancock
<chs2048@gmail.com> wrote ----

Any chance of an extreme discount for an extreme pre-order? :-D

On 24 May 2013 18:18, Robert Picard <mail@robert.io> wrote:
   Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. The more I think about it, the more
I agree with you and Nico. I think I'll cover a more general theme while
using the SaaS example app as a lens through which to teach it. I don't
want to put myself in an arbitrary box while writing, and I certainly
don't want to alienate people who might not be working on a SaaS app, but
could still benefit from the book.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

---- On Fri, 24 May 2013 06:42:46 -0500 Dave
Shawley<daveshawley@gmail.com> wrote ----

I agree with Nico on this one.  Using an application as a case study
throughout the book is nice.  It provides a consistent backdrop for what
you are trying to communicate.  I wouldn't put it in the title though
unless you are planning on writing a very targeted book.  "Real World
Flask" or something like that might be a better title.  Don't concentrate
a lot on the application that you are building, just use it as the
backdrop for exposing and conquering the really interesting issues.

Personally, I would love to see a concentration on how Flask can be used
as the application layer working together with other best in breed
libraries and technologies.  I'm thinking of stuff like Kenneth Reitz's
requests for server-to-server communications, celery for task management,
etc.  Then touch on some other seldom hit topics like diag nostic log
management (log files, loggly, sentry, etc.) or how to manage upgrades of
the application with introducing downtime.  You know, real world scenarios
that a service provider has to deal with.

I guess that makes it less about Flask and more about how to build world
class applications with Python that happen to use Flask as one of the many
parts.  That is part of my wish list =)

- dave

There is a lesson here for ambitious system architects: the most
dangerous enemy of a better solution is an existing codebase that is just
good enough. -- Eric S. Raymond.

On May 24, 2013, at 1:56 AM, Nico Gevers <nico@squire-labs.com> wrote:

It really depends what you want your focus to be. For me building a
SaaS app isn't the important factor. Building a good Flask app is. Some
people might not be interested in SaaS (maybe they're building some
corporate behind-the-firewall app) and might be put off by a title that
includes SaaS specifically. Then again, for those who want to build SaaS
apps, it might be more appealing.

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Robert Picard <mail@robert.io> wrote:

That one is actually on my list too. I'm leaning toward using an
example SaaS application throughout the book and my current idea is some
sort of Highrise clone. Now that I type that, I'm beginning to wonder if I
shouldn't call the book something like "Building a SaaS app with Flask"
and keep the focus there.

Does anyone have a thought on that note?

---- On Thu, 23 May 2013 05:25:21 -0500 dorian
i<dorian.hoxha@gmail.com> wrote ----

Saas with per-tenant subdomain and per-tenant custom domain

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 8:42 AM, Robert Picard <mail@robert.io> wrote:

Nope, I'm planning on self-publishing it as a commercial product. I
definitely thought about going the open source route, but that just
wouldn't be worth the time investment for me.

---- On Thu, 23 May 2013 01:12:42 -0500 Nathan M<feydaykyn@gmail.co
m> wrote ----

Is it going to be 'opensource' ? If so, what about using a github wiki
and then push it on the flask repo ?

Le 23 mai 2013 07:37, "Robert Picard" <mail@robert.io> a écrit :

I'm not an expert, but I've spent enough time looking for best
practices for various development patterns that I thought a book was in
order. This whole summer is available to me, so I'm writing a book that
will help new Flask developers learn more advanced patterns that are out
of the scope of the tutorial in the documentation.

I wrote a little about what I'm doing here:

If you have anything you think should be covered in a book like this,
please let me know!

Also, I plan on including interviews with developers using Flask in
real-world applications. If you have a web app in production that is built
with Flask, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks,

James Willson
2013-05-30 @ 11:05
I love the sound of a flask book, would definitely buy it :)

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 10:54 AM, Harry Percival
<harry@pythonanywhere.com>wrote:

>   Hi Robert,
> Nice to meet a fellow book author!  I’m writing a book on TDD web
> development for http://www.obeythetestinggoat.com/  -- still in its early
> days, and based on Django, but you’re very welcome to take a look, for
> inspiration, if you’re planning to include a mention of testing / TDD.
> Also very happy to help out if you want someone to do a tech review of a
> chapter on TDD (although I far from being a world expert!)
> Also happy to share any tips and tricks I’ve learned (eg, use asciidoc!) –
> my personal email is obeythetestinggoat@gmail.com
> Another thing – have you thought of doing a kickstarter to raise some
> money for the book?  The last person I know that was going to write a book
> about web-dev did, and raised way more than I ever got given as an advance
> by a “real publisher” --
> With that said, do also get in touch if you want to be put in touch with a
> “real publisher”.  My editor did mention something about flask the other
> day...
> HP
> Harry Percival
> Developer
> harry@pythonanywhere.com
> PythonAnywhere - a fully browser-based Python development and hosting
> environment
> <http://www.pythonanywhere.com/>
> PythonAnywhere LLP
> 17a Clerkenwell Road, London EC1M 5RD, UK
> VAT No.: GB 893 5643 79
> Registered in England and Wales as company number OC378414.
> Registered address: 28 Ely Place, 3rd Floor, London EC1N 6TD, UK
>  *From:* Robert Picard <mail@robert.io>
> *Sent:* Sunday, May 26, 2013 5:19 PM
> *To:* flask@librelist.com
> *Subject:* Re: [flask] I'm writing a book on Flask -- suggestions wanted
>  Haha, it's a little too early I think. I'll think about setting up a
> pre-order when I get a little closer to the launch. If you sign-up to the
> mailing list you'll be one of the first to hear about it!
> http://robert.io
> ---- On Sun, 26 May 2013 07:12:28 -0500 *Chris Hancock <chs2048@gmail.com>
> * wrote ----
>  Any chance of an extreme discount for an extreme pre-order? :-D
> On 24 May 2013 18:18, Robert Picard <mail@robert.io> wrote:
> Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. The more I think about it, the more I
> agree with you and Nico. I think I'll cover a more general theme while
> using the SaaS example app as a lens through which to teach it. I don't
> want to put myself in an arbitrary box while writing, and I certainly don't
> want to alienate people who might not be working on a SaaS app, but could
> still benefit from the book.
> Thanks for the suggestions guys!
> http://robert.io
> ---- On Fri, 24 May 2013 06:42:46 -0500 *Dave Shawley<
> daveshawley@gmail.com>* wrote ----
>   I agree with Nico on this one.  Using an application as a case study
> throughout the book is nice.  It provides a consistent backdrop for what
> you are trying to communicate.  I wouldn't put it in the title though
> unless you are planning on writing a very targeted book.  "Real World
> Flask" or something like that might be a better title.  Don't concentrate a
> lot on the application that you are building, just use it as the backdrop
> for exposing and conquering the really interesting issues.
> Personally, I would love to see a concentration on how Flask can be used
> as the application layer working together with other best in breed
> libraries and technologies.  I'm thinking of stuff like Kenneth Reitz's
> requests for server-to-server communications, celery for task management,
> etc.  Then touch on some other seldom hit topics like diag nostic log
> management (log files, loggly, sentry, etc.) or how to manage upgrades of
> the application with introducing downtime.  You know, real world scenarios
> that a service provider has to deal with.
> I guess that makes it less about Flask and more about how to build world
> class applications with Python that happen to use Flask as one of the many
> parts.  That is part of my wish list =)
> - dave
>   --
> There is a lesson here for ambitious system architects: the most dangerous
> enemy of a better solution is an existing codebase that is just good
> enough. -- Eric S. Raymond.
>  On May 24, 2013, at 1:56 AM, Nico Gevers <nico@squire-labs.com> wrote:
>  It really depends what you want your focus to be. For me building a SaaS
> app isn't the important factor. Building a good Flask app is. Some people
> might not be interested in SaaS (maybe they're building some corporate
> behind-the-firewall app) and might be put off by a title that includes SaaS
> specifically. Then again, for those who want to build SaaS apps, it might
> be more appealing.
>  On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Robert Picard <mail@robert.io> wrote:
> **
>  That one is actually on my list too. I'm leaning toward using an example
> SaaS application throughout the book and my current idea is some sort of
> Highrise clone. Now that I type that, I'm beginning to wonder if I
> shouldn't call the book something like "Building a SaaS app with Flask" and
> keep the focus there.
> Does anyone have a thought on that note?
> ---- On Thu, 23 May 2013 05:25:21 -0500 *dorian
i<dorian.hoxha@gmail.com>*wrote ----
>    - Saas with per-tenant subdomain and per-tenant custom domain
>    -
>  On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 8:42 AM, Robert Picard <mail@robert.io> wrote:
>  Nope, I'm planning on self-publishing it as a commercial product. I
> definitely thought about going the open source route, but that just
> wouldn't be worth the time investment for me.
> ---- On Thu, 23 May 2013 01:12:42 -0500 *Nathan M<feydaykyn@gmail.co
m>*wrote ----
>  Is it going to be 'opensource' ? If so, what about using a github wiki
> and then push it on the flask repo ?
>  Le 23 mai 2013 07:37, "Robert Picard" <mail@robert.io> a écrit :
> **
>  I'm not an expert, but I've spent enough time looking for best practices
> for various development patterns that I thought a book was in order. This
> whole summer is available to me, so I'm writing a book that will help new
> Flask developers learn more advanced patterns that are out of the scope of
> the tutorial in the documentation.
> I wrote a little about what I'm doing here:
> http://robert.io/blog/2013/05/22/im-writing-a-book-on-flask/
> If you have anything you think should be covered in a book like this,
> please let me know!
> Also, I plan on including interviews with developers using Flask in
> real-world applications. If you have a web app in production that is built
> with Flask, I'd love to hear from you.
> Thanks,
> http://robert.io/

2013-05-30 @ 12:19
Thanks! I really appreciate the support. Make sure to sign-up for my
mailing list here: http://eepurl.com/zMeIb

---- On Thu, 30 May 2013 06:05:48 -0500 James
Willson<mail@employ.com> wrote ----

I love the sound of a flask book, would definitely buy it :)

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 10:54 AM, Harry Percival
<harry@pythonanywhere.com> wrote:
     Hi Robert,

Nice to meet a fellow book author!  I’m writing a book on TDD web
development for http://www.obeythetestinggoat.com/  -- still in its early
days, and based on Django, but you’re very welcome to take a look, for
inspiration, if you’re planning to include a mention of testing / TDD.
Also very happy to help out if you want someone to do a tech review of a
chapter on TDD (although I far from being a world expert!)

Also happy to share any tips and tricks I’ve learned (eg, use asciidoc!)
– my personal email is obeythetestinggoat@gmail.com

Developer
harry@pythonanywhere.com

<http://www.pythonanywhere.com/>

PythonAnywhere LLP
17a Clerkenwell Road, London EC1M 5RD, UK
VAT No.: GB 893 5643 79
Registered in England and Wales as company number OC378414.
Registered address: 28 Ely Place, 3rd Floor, London EC1N 6TD, UK

From: Robert Picard
 Sent: Sunday, May 26, 2013 5:19 PM
 To: flask@librelist.com
 Subject: Re: [flask] I'm writing a book on Flask -- suggestions wanted

Haha, it's a little too early I think. I'll think about setting up a
pre-order when I get a little closer to the launch. If you sign-up to the
mailing list you'll be one of the first to hear about it!

---- On Sun, 26 May 2013 07:12:28 -0500 Chris Hancock
<chs2048@gmail.com> wrote ----

Any chance of an extreme discount for an extreme pre-order? :-D

On 24 May 2013 18:18, Robert Picard <mail@robert.io> wrote:

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. The more I think about it, the more I
agree with you and Nico. I think I'll cover a more general theme while
using the SaaS example app as a lens through which to teach it. I don't
want to put myself in an arbitrary box while writing, and I certainly
don't want to alienate people who might not be working on a SaaS app, but
could still benefit from the book.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

---- On Fri, 24 May 2013 06:42:46 -0500 Dave
Shawley<daveshawley@gmail.com> wrote ----

I agree with Nico on this one.  Using an application as a case study
throughout the book is nice.  It provides a consistent backdrop for what
you are trying to communicate.  I wouldn't put it in the title though
unless you are planning on writing a very targeted book.  "Real World
Flask" or something like that might be a better title.  Don't concentrate
a lot on the application that you are building, just use it as the
backdrop for exposing and conquering the really interesting issues.

Personally, I would love to see a concentration on how Flask can be used
as the application layer working together with other best in breed
libraries and technologies.  I'm thinking of stuff like Kenneth Reitz's
requests for server-to-server communications, celery for task management,
etc.  Then touch on some other seldom hit topics like diag nostic log
management (log files, loggly, sentry, etc.) or how to manage upgrades of
the application with introducing downtime.  You know, real world scenarios
that a service provider has to deal with.

I guess that makes it less about Flask and more about how to build world
class applications with Python that happen to use Flask as one of the many
parts.  That is part of my wish list =)

- dave

There is a lesson here for ambitious system architects: the most
dangerous enemy of a better solution is an existing codebase that is just
good enough. -- Eric S. Raymond.

On May 24, 2013, at 1:56 AM, Nico Gevers <nico@squire-labs.com> wrote:

It really depends what you want your focus to be. For me building a
SaaS app isn't the important factor. Building a good Flask app is. Some
people might not be interested in SaaS (maybe they're building some
corporate behind-the-firewall app) and might be put off by a title that
includes SaaS specifically. Then again, for those who want to build SaaS
apps, it might be more appealing.

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Robert Picard <mail@robert.io> wrote:

That one is actually on my list too. I'm leaning toward using an
example SaaS application throughout the book and my current idea is some
sort of Highrise clone. Now that I type that, I'm beginning to wonder if I
shouldn't call the book something like "Building a SaaS app with Flask"
and keep the focus there.

Does anyone have a thought on that note?

---- On Thu, 23 May 2013 05:25:21 -0500 dorian
i<dorian.hoxha@gmail.com> wrote ----

Saas with per-tenant subdomain and per-tenant custom domain

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 8:42 AM, Robert Picard <mail@robert.io> wrote:

Nope, I'm planning on self-publishing it as a commercial product. I
definitely thought about going the open source route, but that just
wouldn't be worth the time investment for me.

---- On Thu, 23 May 2013 01:12:42 -0500 Nathan M<feydaykyn@gmail.co
m> wrote ----

Is it going to be 'opensource' ? If so, what about using a github wiki
and then push it on the flask repo ?

Le 23 mai 2013 07:37, "Robert Picard" <mail@robert.io> a écrit :

I'm not an expert, but I've spent enough time looking for best
practices for various development patterns that I thought a book was in
order. This whole summer is available to me, so I'm writing a book that
will help new Flask developers learn more advanced patterns that are out
of the scope of the tutorial in the documentation.

I wrote a little about what I'm doing here:

If you have anything you think should be covered in a book like this,
please let me know!

Also, I plan on including interviews with developers using Flask in
real-world applications. If you have a web app in production that is built
with Flask, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks,