Flask app hosting option

Flask app hosting option

Kundan Singh
2013-04-23 @ 16:42
Hi, I have built few flask apps Now looking for some hosting which is cost
effective, reliable  and extensive support for Python and related apps.

My apps are small apps which may turn into few thousand users or so.

Whats your recommendations?

Harry Percival
2013-04-24 @ 07:51
We offer hosting for flask apps, with a free tier for apps on our
subdomain, and  $12/month for your own domain.

I host two of my personal sites on there.

As impartial as I can be, here are the pros and cons:

cons:
- no mongo, no postgres (yet)
- WSGI only, so no socket-based apps (eg websockets / tornado)

pros:
- we've tried to make it super-simple to get set up.  Press a button,
enter a name for you flask app, and it's up saying "hello world" and
ready to start editing straight away.
- you may or may not end up using it, but there's a full browser-based
IDE if you ever need to make tweaks to your site when you're away from
your normal PC.
- oh, and we're still small enough that we can be super-responsive to
support requests.  (and moderately annoying on flask discussion lists).

hp

On Tue, 2013-04-23 at 22:12 +0530, Kundan Singh wrote:
> Hi, I have built few flask apps Now looking for some hosting which is
> cost effective, reliable  and extensive support for Python and related
> apps.
> My apps are small apps which may turn into few thousand users or so.
> Whats your recommendations?

Harry Percival
Developer
harry@pythonanywhere.com
+44 (0) 20 3051 2751

PythonAnywhere - full python dev & hosting, in your browser

17a Clerkenwell Road, London EC1M 5RD, UK
VAT No.: GB 893 5643 79
Registered in England and Wales as company number 5467329.
Registered address: 843 Finchley Road, London NW11 8NA, UK

Jeroen Pelgrims
2013-04-24 @ 10:07
Something similar to Heroku is AppFog (https://www.appfog.com/).
Although to me it seems you get a lot more in the free tier than you do
with Heroku.

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 9:51 AM, Harry Percival <harry@pythonanywhere.com>wrote:

> We offer hosting for flask apps, with a free tier for apps on our
> subdomain, and  $12/month for your own domain.
> I host two of my personal sites on there.
> As impartial as I can be, here are the pros and cons:
> cons:
> - no mongo, no postgres (yet)
> - WSGI only, so no socket-based apps (eg websockets / tornado)
> pros:
> - we've tried to make it super-simple to get set up.  Press a button,
> enter a name for you flask app, and it's up saying "hello world" and
> ready to start editing straight away.
> - you may or may not end up using it, but there's a full browser-based
> IDE if you ever need to make tweaks to your site when you're away from
> your normal PC.
> - oh, and we're still small enough that we can be super-responsive to
> support requests.  (and moderately annoying on flask discussion lists).
> hp
> On Tue, 2013-04-23 at 22:12 +0530, Kundan Singh wrote:
> > Hi, I have built few flask apps Now looking for some hosting which is
> > cost effective, reliable  and extensive support for Python and related
> > apps.
> > My apps are small apps which may turn into few thousand users or so.
> > Whats your recommendations?
> Harry Percival
> Developer
> harry@pythonanywhere.com
> +44 (0) 20 3051 2751
> PythonAnywhere - full python dev & hosting, in your browser
> 17a Clerkenwell Road, London EC1M 5RD, UK
> VAT No.: GB 893 5643 79
> Registered in England and Wales as company number 5467329.
> Registered address: 843 Finchley Road, London NW11 8NA, UK

Shawn Milochik
2013-04-24 @ 14:06
I use Linode and Webfaction, and recently signed up for the cheapest
Digital Ocean plan. I like all three for different things. I like being
able to set things up for myself, so I like the Linode and Digital Ocean
services. I use WebFaction for things for simple client sites I host or
little throwaway stuff where I don't need the control.

However, whenever I used Flask or Django on WebFaction, I always just use
the custom port option and supervisor/gunicorn to run it. Again, a
control/portability thing.

kracekumar ramaraju
2013-04-24 @ 14:16
Try to use web faction first which doesn't provide sudo access. If that
doesn't work use Hetzner or linode.

Bottom line. Use shared hosting if that doesn't work, go for vps.
On Apr 24, 2013 7:37 PM, "Shawn Milochik" <shawn@milochik.com> wrote:

> I use Linode and Webfaction, and recently signed up for the cheapest
> Digital Ocean plan. I like all three for different things. I like being
> able to set things up for myself, so I like the Linode and Digital Ocean
> services. I use WebFaction for things for simple client sites I host or
> little throwaway stuff where I don't need the control.
> However, whenever I used Flask or Django on WebFaction, I always just use
> the custom port option and supervisor/gunicorn to run it. Again, a
> control/portability thing.

ian douglas
2013-04-23 @ 16:57
On 04/23/2013 09:42 AM, Kundan Singh wrote:
> Hi, I have built few flask apps Now looking for some hosting which is
> cost effective, reliable  and extensive support for Python and related
> apps.
> My apps are small apps which may turn into few thousand users or so.
> Whats your recommendations?

Personally, I'm a fan of Google App Engine. There's a github project
that will get you started with a simple html5 layout, and the
documentation for getting up and running is great:

If your database needs aren't excessive (hint: cache everything you
can), you can host a Flask project for free for a pretty substantial
amount of traffic before you ever have to enable billing. And it's
globally-scalable, depending on the location of your users.

-id

Raj Nathani
2013-04-23 @ 16:47
If you're good at system administration then sign up with an IaaS provider
like Amazon Web Services or Azure and host your app on one of their VMs.

This option gives you high flexibility, as you have control over pretty
much everything.

On 2013-04-23, at 12:43 PM, "Kundan Singh" <ksingh.pilani@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I have built few flask apps Now looking for some hosting which is
cost effective, reliable  and extensive support for Python and related
apps.
> My apps are small apps which may turn into few thousand users or so.
> Whats your recommendations?

dorian i
2013-04-23 @ 16:50
Very cheap for non system administrators: webfaction

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 6:47 PM, Raj Nathani <raj_n19@hotmail.com> wrote:

> If you're good at system administration then sign up with an IaaS provider
> like Amazon Web Services or Azure and host your app on one of their VMs.
> This option gives you high flexibility, as you have control over pretty
> much everything.
> On 2013-04-23, at 12:43 PM, "Kundan Singh" <ksingh.pilani@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi, I have built few flask apps Now looking for some hosting which is
> cost effective, reliable  and extensive support for Python and related apps.
> > My apps are small apps which may turn into few thousand users or so.
> > Whats your recommendations?

Edmond Burnett
2013-04-23 @ 16:46
I have had good experiences with Linode for hosting projects.

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 9:42 AM, Kundan Singh <ksingh.pilani@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi, I have built few flask apps Now looking for some hosting which is cost
> effective, reliable  and extensive support for Python and related apps.
> My apps are small apps which may turn into few thousand users or so.
> Whats your recommendations?

Michael Davis
2013-04-23 @ 16:50
I have been a fan of Herkou recently.  I can host small projects cheaply,
and it is really easy to scale out quickly if I have to.

Michael Davis
Software Engineering - Iowa State University
WebFilings Software Engineer Intern
IASG Treasurer

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 11:46 AM, Edmond Burnett <eburnett@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have had good experiences with Linode for hosting projects.
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 9:42 AM, Kundan Singh <ksingh.pilani@gmail.com>wrote:
>> Hi, I have built few flask apps Now looking for some hosting which is
>> cost effective, reliable  and extensive support for Python and related apps.
>> My apps are small apps which may turn into few thousand users or so.
>> Whats your recommendations?

Tom Whitcomb
2013-04-23 @ 18:07
+1 on Heroku

>________________________________
> From: Michael Davis <mike.philip.davis@gmail.com>
>To: flask@librelist.com
>Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:50 AM
>Subject: Re: [flask] Flask app hosting option
>I have been a fan of Herkou recently.  I can host small projects cheaply,
and it is really easy to scale out quickly if I have to.
>Michael Davis
>Software Engineering - Iowa State University
>WebFilings Software Engineer Intern
>IASG Treasurer
>On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 11:46 AM, Edmond Burnett <eburnett@gmail.com> wrote:
>I have had good experiences with Linode for hosting projects.
>>On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 9:42 AM, Kundan Singh <ksingh.pilani@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Hi, I have built few flask apps Now looking for some hosting which is
cost effective, reliable  and extensive support for Python and related
apps.
>>>My apps are small apps which may turn into few thousand users or so.
>>>Whats your recommendations?

Kundan Singh
2013-04-24 @ 06:12
What you say about digitalocean's $5/month plan. I think its amazing.
What's your comment on that?

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 11:37 PM, Tom Whitcomb <thomaswhitcomb@yahoo.com>wrote:

> +1 on Heroku
>   ------------------------------
>  *From:* Michael Davis <mike.philip.davis@gmail.com>
> *To:* flask@librelist.com
> *Sent:* Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:50 AM
> *Subject:* Re: [flask] Flask app hosting option
> I have been a fan of Herkou recently.  I can host small projects cheaply,
> and it is really easy to scale out quickly if I have to.
> Michael Davis
> Software Engineering - Iowa State University
> WebFilings Software Engineer Intern
> IASG Treasurer
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 11:46 AM, Edmond Burnett <eburnett@gmail.com>wrote:
> I have had good experiences with Linode for hosting projects.
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 9:42 AM, Kundan Singh <ksingh.pilani@gmail.com>wrote:
> Hi, I have built few flask apps Now looking for some hosting which is cost
> effective, reliable  and extensive support for Python and related apps.
> My apps are small apps which may turn into few thousand users or so.
> Whats your recommendations?

Raj Nathani
2013-04-24 @ 06:29
I gave digital ocean a shot recently.

3 things which I really liked about their hosting platform:

Simplicity
The control panel is straightforward and intuitive. It's really well designed.

SSD
All the machines they offer are SSD backed, which according to me is
amazing. There is a major speed difference if your database is stored on
drive, which is highly likely going to be the case.

Pricing
With a great control panel, service and server specs, their pricing IMHO
surprises me at times.

So what's the caveat?
It's IaaS based. It's not like heroku or other PaaS cloud hosting
platforms where a lot of the set up can be done for you automatically.
So if you're good at systems, or don't mind getting your hands dirty, then
digital ocean is a good choice, even better than IaaS providers like AWS
if you plan to stay small to medium sized.

On 2013-04-24, at 2:13 AM, "Kundan Singh" <ksingh.pilani@gmail.com> wrote:

> What you say about digitalocean's $5/month plan. I think its amazing.
What's your comment on that?
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 11:37 PM, Tom Whitcomb <thomaswhitcomb@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> +1 on Heroku
>> From: Michael Davis <mike.philip.davis@gmail.com>
>> To: flask@librelist.com
>> Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:50 AM
>> Subject: Re: [flask] Flask app hosting option
>> I have been a fan of Herkou recently.  I can host small projects
cheaply, and it is really easy to scale out quickly if I have to.
>> Michael Davis
>> Software Engineering - Iowa State University
>> WebFilings Software Engineer Intern
>> IASG Treasurer
>> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 11:46 AM, Edmond Burnett <eburnett@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have had good experiences with Linode for hosting projects.
>> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 9:42 AM, Kundan Singh <ksingh.pilani@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi, I have built few flask apps Now looking for some hosting which is
cost effective, reliable  and extensive support for Python and related
apps.
>> My apps are small apps which may turn into few thousand users or so.
>> Whats your recommendations?

David Van Duzer
2013-04-24 @ 06:38
We're fortunate enough to have a lot of high quality and inexpensive
hosted server options. Digital Ocean is top tier in that realm.

Not everyone wants (or has the resources) to be a sysadmin, and Heroku
handles most of those gory details *extremely* well. Google's AppEngine
isn't terrible, and there are other decent app container services. But for
better or worse, Heroku seems to be in a league of its own right now.

On Apr 24, 2013, at 0:12, Kundan Singh <ksingh.pilani@gmail.com> wrote:

> What you say about digitalocean's $5/month plan. I think its amazing.
What's your comment on that?
>> +1 on Heroku