Documentation Localization

Documentation Localization

Younggun Kim
2013-04-01 @ 15:59
Seems no discussion about documentation localization.

We, Korean Flask User Group, are going to translate official document to
Korean.
If some of you want to translate the doc to your language,
how about take this opportunity to get Flask has localized documentation?

Any suggestions are welcome!

Younggun, Kim
UTC +9:00 Seoul, Korea

Re: [flask] Documentation Localization

dorian i
2013-04-01 @ 19:53
My suggestion is don't do it.

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 5:59 PM, Younggun Kim <scari.net@gmail.com> wrote:

> Seems no discussion about documentation localization.
> We, Korean Flask User Group, are going to translate official document to
> Korean.
> If some of you want to translate the doc to your language,
> how about take this opportunity to get Flask has localized documentation?
> Any suggestions are welcome!
> Younggun, Kim
> UTC +9:00 Seoul, Korea

Re: [flask] Documentation Localization

Steven Kryskalla
2013-04-01 @ 21:44
On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 12:53 PM, dorian i <dorian.hoxha@gmail.com> wrote:

> My suggestion is don't do it.

That's not a very helpful suggestion, at least you could state a reason why
you think that.

I think it's a fine idea. I wonder if there's any other projects that have
something similar (django, pyramid, etc.). I also wonder what the most
popular sections of the docs are, if you were looking for a place to start.
Maybe the API reference, quickstart, and tutorial?

Re: [flask] Documentation Localization

Spacelee
2013-04-02 @ 00:01
I think localization is a great chance to spread the flask...But I have a
question, when the original document changes, how could I know where has
changed, and then to translate...
In fact, there is a chinese translation :

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 5:44 AM, Steven Kryskalla <skryskalla@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 12:53 PM, dorian i <dorian.hoxha@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My suggestion is don't do it.
> That's not a very helpful suggestion, at least you could state a reason
> why you think that.
> I think it's a fine idea. I wonder if there's any other projects that have
> something similar (django, pyramid, etc.). I also wonder what the most
> popular sections of the docs are, if you were looking for a place to start.
> Maybe the API reference, quickstart, and tutorial?

*Space Lee*

Re: [flask] Documentation Localization

Steven Kryskalla
2013-04-02 @ 00:39
On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 5:01 PM, Spacelee <fjctlzy@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think localization is a great chance to spread the flask...But I have a
> question, when the original document changes, how could I know where has
> changed, and then to translate...
> In fact, there is a chinese translation :

If you're basing your translation off of a clone of the flask repo,
just make a note of which commit ID you created your translation from
(or make a branch/tag). Then when you want to sync up with the latest
changes to the docs, you can do this kind of thing:

git log -p 3c54f30...master -- docs

And make the matching changes to your translation. Once that is done,
make a note of the commit ID again so you can repeat the process.

You could also use Github's compare view, but it only works for the entire repo:

Re: [flask] Documentation Localization

Younggun Kim
2013-04-02 @ 12:23
On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 6:44 AM, Steven Kryskalla <skryskalla@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 12:53 PM, dorian i <dorian.hoxha@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My suggestion is don't do it.
> That's not a very helpful suggestion, at least you could state a reason
> why you think that.
> I think it's a fine idea. I wonder if there's any other projects that have
> something similar (django, pyramid, etc.). I also wonder what the most
> popular sections of the docs are, if you were looking for a place to start.
> Maybe the API reference, quickstart, and tutorial?

I'd like to start quickstart and tutorial first.

In addition to Spacelee's finding, Chinese translation:
I got Japanese and Brazilian(Portugese) translations.

I know that Korean django user group has translation team and the works is
going on: